Edinson Cavani - Manchester United Player

Felt something was up given that we'd reached March without a renewal.

Especially given that there was talk in November from Solskjaer of doing it soon.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Would be annoying to lose him already but not the end of the world. Think we will target another short term deal for an experienced striker to replace him, if he doesn't extend. I think people are in dreamland mentioning Haaland as a target.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Surprising tbh. Something big has to be planned. Either Haaland, or more likely Sancho as the right wing and Greenwood moving to striker to rotate with Martial, with Diallo and James backing up Rashford and Sancho. Either way is a great balance IMO, but would be insanity to not do anything between striker or right wing.

el3mel

Surprising tbh. Something big has to be planned. Either Haaland, or more likely Sancho as the right wing and Greenwood moving to striker to rotate with Martial, with Diallo and James backing up Rashford and Sancho. Either way is a great balance IMO, but would be insanity to not do anything between striker or right wing.
As others said, it's Cavani's decision, not the club's from what is reported.

UpWithRivers

Says every United fan every year for the last 10 years or so. RW is never gonna happen. Striker? Nah.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Says every United fan every year for the last 10 years or so. RW is never gonna happen. Striker? Nah.
That's true. But going into next season with Rashford, Martial, James and Greenwood with maybe Diallo being ready for some bit part action from the bench... there's no way Ole would be ok with that. He loves strikers and goalscorers. It's missing 1 top player in there and we would for sure try and get one of the two. I really think we'll go hard for Sancho again this summer, but actually get him this time around.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Cavani has a decent addition. Some highly impactful moments in the final third due to his brilliant movement. But his all round game is just okay. I don't think he can produce the general level performance Martial did last night for example. But he has strengths which martial is lacking in. All in all, I wouldn't say its a massive loss if he goes tbh.

El Zoido

It’ll be a shame if he goes, he offers us something none of our other strikers give us. Seems like it’s his decision so can’t say it’s an indication of Haaland (which I simply cannot see happening). More likely is Sancho and then move Greenwood up top, with another free transfer/cheap experienced CF for cover.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Spent more time injured it seems. Not bothered in slightest if he goes.

Walters_19_MuFc

If he goes, we need to break the bank for a top-class striker. I don't know who but I suspect the signing of Amad means Ole may have been preparing for this.

Think Ole has two options:

Sign a top-class striker, meaning we probably won't get Sancho or Grealish.

Striker
Rashford Bruno Greenwood

Or

Put Rashford up top and sign a winger

Rashford
Sancho/Grealish - Bruno - Greenwood

I'd preferably prefer the top one but I also think we need a ball-playing midfielder. I guess that's for another thread, though.

Thiagoal

Would like him for another year as an extra body up top but - other than for a couple of games- he’s just been ok!

predator

Youth NITK
Could turn out a blessing in disguise if we invest well. However I would prefer him to stay because knowing our antics recently in the transfer market, it won't be good.

NinjaFletch

Tbh, I wouldn’t be too sad to see him go. He’s shown how much we need a top quality no 9, but he’s had classic Cavani issues with finishing and missed too much football through injury. He’d need to be replaced, and keeping him would allow us to address other areas of the squad, but I don’t think it’s the end of the world either.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Been a decent stop gap especially given Martials massive drop in form this season. But that’s about it. Hopefully the young players will have learned from his professionalism and movement and he has his dream move to finish his career.

0le

Tbh, I wouldn’t be too sad to see him go. He’s shown how much we need a top quality no 9, but he’s had classic Cavani issues with finishing and missed too much football through injury. He’d need to be replaced, and keeping him would allow us to address other areas of the squad, but I don’t think it’s the end of the world either.
Yup well said.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bit of a shame if true, every time he started to get going we’d hit a bad run of form or he’d get injured.

As a second choice striker/12th man - he’s done well so far. Hopefully he can score a fair few more for the rest of the season

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If this speculation turns out to be true, then it strengthens my belief that attack should be the sole focus of our attention this summer

It would be a shame but not the end of the world. He's shown us what a difference a top centre forward would make, but other than a couple of games he's not been that player himself.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If this speculation turns out to be true, then it strengthens my belief that attack should be the sole focus of our attention this summer
I’d be happy with Haaland and a young attacking right back punt.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I always knew this was going to happen.

Ighalo and Cavani represent a certain type of striker and Haaland can also be added to the list. They play football in similar ways and Haaland is the best we can get.

Having Haaland and Cavani in the team nullifies our variations in attack because they are too similar.

Keeping Martial however is two different type of strikers. Martial's strengths is arguably Haaland's weaknesses and Haalands strengths are arguably Martial's weaknesses.

It's how Ole manages the squad.

It's why just because the fans want to sell Martial - it doesnt make sense. Martial can be a 2nd striker in the squad that helpse us play inverted forwards - whilst Haaland requires much more creativity from our wider players.

AFC NimbleThumb

I always knew this was going to happen.

Ighalo and Cavani represent a certain type of striker and Haaland can also be added to the list. They play football in similar ways and Haaland is the best we can get.

Having Haaland and Cavani in the team nullifies our variations in attack because they are too similar.

Keeping Martial however is two different type of strikers. Martial's strengths is arguably Haaland's weaknesses and Haalands strengths are arguably Martial's weaknesses.

It's how Ole manages the squad.

It's why just because the fans want to sell Martial - it doesnt make sense. Martial can be a 2nd striker in the squad that helpse us play inverted forwards - whilst Haaland requires much more creativity from our wider players.
Did I miss the Haaland press conference?

Rolaholic

His absurd treatment by the FA surely plays a part in his purported discomfort in England.

Hope he still opts for a further year but I wouldn't blame him if he wants to go back somewhere where he feels more at home.

If he does though then we should try to go all in for Haaland especially with City surely to be after him this summer. If that fails then bringing in Sancho while moving Greenwood to his natural position at the no.9 spot would be my move

He's been a standout professional by all accounts and I'll have very positive memories of his time regardless of what the future brings

Last edited:

RUCK4444

Shame but it happens. Probably not an ideal time to try to settle in another country, some just don’t take to it. No doubt his treatment by the FA played a part in this.
Yeah you have to think the FA’s handling and pundit reaction etc played a part.

Hopefully it serves to add extra pressure on us to go all out for Haaland.

spiriticon

I thought he was settling in well to be honest. Going hiking and all that.

He was one of the few South Americans I thought would actually 'like' Manchester.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
A shame but will leave with some good memories at least. Hopefully this time we get a proper replacement instead of Ighalo mk 2 on loan.

croadyman

Haaland and a CB is a good summer window i feel.

If Pogba goes, then a new MF as well.
Well we already need a CB, DM, RW for the first XI anyway but if him and Pogba left then you can add creative CM and ST too

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Hope he’s still committed to putting in a shift the rest of the season. If he can bag a few more then I’ll be happy with his contribution.

DuruttiColumn

Might want to wait and see if these reports are verified before chucking a wobbler about it.

The press have been known to make a story over nothing

Raveneye

Cavani served the club well, scored some good goals, picked up some injuries as expected and was given an absolutely terrible time by the FA over an innocent and totally okay-and-not-racist-in-his-language word. And given the racial abuse Martial and Rashford have been getting, I don't blame him for deciding to return to warmer climes. He did reasonably well for us and showed that he's still a top class striker when fit.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Cheers for that, Cavani Snr. I love it when relatives of our players talk about how much they want to leave right before the business end of the season. Great for team morale, that.

UmbroDays

I wonder how much backlash he’ll received compared to others who have had family members talk about their United career to the media