Edinson Cavani - Manchester United Player

AshRK

The FA sanction clearly didn't help him. He was hard done and maybe was not happy that the club never fully backed him by appealing their decision. Anyways, always felt this was short term solution. Now we have to sign a striker.

HailtotheKing

If this speculation turns out to be true, then it strengthens my belief that attack should be the sole focus of our attention this summer
Surely we need a CDM and Center back more than attackers? We need to change the way the team functions as a whole in setting up chances for our strikers. We just don't create enough. If we are set at the back, our midfield is free to move forward, and the same goes with a CDM. Then we'll set up more chances and our strikers will score.
Look at the amount of chances City create. The problem is the supply more than the quality of people putting them away. CB, CDM, RW, CF in that order I think.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

We need a striker we can rely on anyway, so it's not that bad news to me. Was cool to see him here though.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It'll be a shame to lose him, like with any outgoing transfer I don't really have an issue with him leaving, I just hope don't sign someone shit as his replacement. There doesn't seem to be that many good strikers on the market at the minute.

always_hoping

The FA sanction clearly didn't help him. He was hard done and maybe was not happy that the club never fully backed him by appealing their decision. Anyways, always felt this was short term solution. Now we have to sign a striker.
FA have certainly played a part. Shouldn't have banned him..

At his age he was always a short term option and a striker will need to be signed eventually but not before a new CDM, right winger, Centre back which are priorities before a striker IMO.

ti vu

His absurd treatment by the FA surely plays a part in his purported discomfort in England.

Hope he still opts for a further year but I wouldn't blame him if he wants to go back somewhere where he feels more at home.

If he does though then we should try to go all in for Haaland especially with City surely to be after him this summer. If that fails then bringing in Sancho while moving Greenwood to his natural position at the no.9 spot would be my move

He's been a standout professional by all accounts and I'll have very positive memories of his time regardless of what the future brings
If FA were to drop that case, then Scouse love in media would have Luis Suarez case revisited.

It's the case that shite happens for the worse, but we have to move on.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Well done Woody, give the number 7 shirt to a sub who wants out before the seaons over
Very true actually. Also how many big reputation players have we signed that want out almost straight away? Off the top of my head : Di Maria, Lukaku, Sanchez, Pogba and Cavani... do we even talk to these players about their motivations and futures before we sign them up? Cavani was clearly a panic signing (from both sides) even if it worked out well we need to stop with the short term fixes and build something sustainable. Is it they realise they don’t really like Manchester? Have they signed mainly because we are offering the biggest deal at the time? these are rich guys already who don’t need to do anything if they aren’t happy but by the same token they don’t need to come here in the first place either if they aren’t feeling it. Is it the atmosphere behind the scenes? Lack of drive from the owners seeping down? What is it? Probably a mixture of all the above?

pascell

Cavani Sr putting us in a tricky predicament at the negotiating table with any potential striker we might want to sign, or even with Edison himself.

Can7onA

I'm fine with that, it was only for a year. Lets get a banger of a striker in and we'll win the fecking Olympics!

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Not too bothered by this, he's not been reliable enough anyway. It does leave us with a problem though. Haaland will be going to City so we either find another striker which is never cheap or easy or trust Martial and Greenwood and get a winger like Sancho. I think I'd actually prefer the latter.

el3mel

Since it's his decision we can't do much anyway. I wish him all the best and a nice retirement in South America. Great player and professional.

Hopefully he wins the Europe League for us.

BorisManUtd

quotes from his dad. This is happening so more than likely.

Wonder what the next short term fix is going to be? The joys.
Greenwood at ST maybe. Even with Cavani leaving we can't affort to buy a replacement, not in these circumstances.

Anyways, if Edinson can stay fit until end of the season then great. He'd help us massively in all 3 competitions surely.

Drainy

why are people blaming the FA?

He probably just doesn't fancy England as a country, particularly since he doesn't speak the language.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
This whole thing has been brewing up for the past month or so mainly because United haven't held talks with Cavani over exercising the option let alone actually exercising it. The more time we take to get started on the extension process, the more likely a United player is to consider other options. Given that our wages were increased due to last season's CL qualitication, I wouldn't be surprised if the club are hesitant on continuing with Cavani and would rather spend the wages on a younger forward.

Based on what was reported by ESPN Uruguay, Cavani's okay with spending one more year with us before considering his options. That's what I was expecting given his contract structure, but I guess United are not so keen on continuing that relationship.

redshaw

Been impressed with his application but it's kind of expected to read these tweets already.

Going to be a very interesting summer to see if we can bring someone else in or tell Martial he's our main man again and cheer him up. I'm less and less expecting a huge outlay for even one player.

ReallyUSA

Get deemed a racist, been hurt, didn't get his PSG game, doesn't get chances, etc. Sucks man.

James Peril

I said it at the time it happened, but if I were him I would quit English football the minute someone made me guilty of racism that never happened. Shameful decision by the FA, so I fully understand if this is part of his mindset.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I wonder how much backlash he’ll received compared to others who have had family members talk about their United career to the media
Oh come come, this is not remotely comparable.

Shame, but given his age and recent limited availability, not a disaster. Unless Ole goes and buys Josh King.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Not too bothered by this, he's not been reliable enough anyway. It does leave us with a problem though. Haaland will be going to City so we either find another striker which is never cheap or easy or trust Martial and Greenwood and get a winger like Sancho. I think I'd actually prefer the latter.
i agree. Someone who is just as happy to assist could be the key to unlocking what we already have instead of making sweeping wholesale changes to the attack. Same with a DM, if Pogba stays that’s probably the only way to get Bruno and Pogba into a system that gives them the best chance of becoming an effective unit instead of just being random star names.

like everyone else I’d rather haaland and a creative player as 2 of the 3 up top but there’s no chance really this summer. I hope we don’t end up going for another free transfer or even worse a cheap stop gap striker on a multi year deal. We should just pay up for top quality and build but it’s the glazers so we will wait and wait more than likely. Thank god king is off the market at least!

Hughie77

If he wants to go, then it should be ok, signed a 1 year contract, with option for another, if he doesnt want another then fine, it really makes the board go get another striker, which cannot be a bad thing.

ti vu

If he ended up leaving, the cost of his one year would end up kind of high isn't it? I remembered it was 10mil sign on fee with similar figure for his wage.

The way thing is, this club just always find a way to overspend.

predator

Youth NITK
Most dad's talk shite.

Anyway as soon as I heard Napolis owner once told him that brits have awful food and lifestyle and the woman don't wash themselves I knew he wouldn't be here long.

Adios Edi! Thanks for your service.

ti vu

Most dad's talk shite.

Anyway as soon as I heard Napolis owner once told him that brits have awful food and lifestyle and the woman don't wash themselves I knew he wouldn't be here long.

Adios Edi! Thanks for your service.
:lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, we’re in March and there hasn’t been a sniff from any journalists to suggest we’re in talks for a second year extension. Kind of reminiscent of the radio silence we had with Herrera before he ended up leaving.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Cavani’s had enough of the wear and tear — he’s already been injured two or three times (+ lengthy injuries in his last season at PSG), he’s missed some further games down to a bizarre FA decision, and there’s no fans in the stadium.

A veteran like Cavani who’s done it all has probably just had enough - which is fair enough really. (And that’s without mentioning our drab food and smelly women).

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Fantastic striker, very good for us. But ultimately not fit enough and too injury prone now and hasn't justified the 2nd year yet.. We're not hanging onto sick notes anymore, we're getting rid of them now and he seems a bit too inured too often.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Luis Cavani - Edinson's father: "He was very bothered by the sanction they gave him for saying 'negrito'"

Is the above tweet accurate?

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Cavani is great. Was the victim of shameful treatment by the FA over "racism" that wasn't.
What he has shown is how much better we are with a top quality centre forward.
Now if Martial plays every game like he did last Sunday it's no problem.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Surely we need a CDM and Center back more than attackers? We need to change the way the team functions as a whole in setting up chances for our strikers. We just don't create enough. If we are set at the back, our midfield is free to move forward, and the same goes with a CDM. Then we'll set up more chances and our strikers will score.
Look at the amount of chances City create. The problem is the supply more than the quality of people putting them away. CB, CDM, RW, CF in that order I think.
I disagree, but I can't say that you are wrong because there are a number of positions that we could strengthen but for me, if we assume that we are only going to have funds for 2 significant signings this summer, I think we'd be much better served adding depth to our attacking positions.