Edinson Cavani - Manchester United Player

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It's a shame. I really liked him and whenever he played he looked good. Few important goals scored as well.

Not too bothered though, he spent half the season injured anyway. And it's not like he's having one major injury, he is just unavailable quite often. Still, it was a good move.

SeanyC

Such a pitty we can not turn the clock back 5/6 years, Cavani was an proper in his heyday, he would have been brilliant for us, best forward since CR7 if we’d got him but we ended up with Lukaku instead :/ We need goals from somewhere, the three M’s will not get us 30+ goals next season and if we are to compete we need a new prolific forward, A Haaland type, along with and CM and CB

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Surely we need a CDM and Center back more than attackers? We need to change the way the team functions as a whole in setting up chances for our strikers. We just don't create enough. If we are set at the back, our midfield is free to move forward, and the same goes with a CDM. Then we'll set up more chances and our strikers will score.
Look at the amount of chances City create. The problem is the supply more than the quality of people putting them away. CB, CDM, RW, CF in that order I think.
As much as we need an upgrade, changing Lindelof for a better centre back won't make us more creative.

tjb

As much as we need an upgrade, changing Lindelof for a better centre back won't make us more creative.
I agree about Centre Back. I don't think it was or has been our biggest problem...it's simply the easiest position to target when something goes wrong. Our biggest issue is the speed of our build up which occurs because none of our centre midfielders are composed enough or having the touch and passing ability to help us get the ball into the attack from the defence.

Additionally, we have no CDM who can win possession and protect the back 4. Matic no longer has the pace to cover the ground required in a league as physical as the Premier League. It's the reason we could score freely from counters and have had periods of solid defending, but have never truly been able to dominate while creating chances. As our forwards are attackers rather than creators, the impetus for moving the ball forward falls solely on the midfield.

I also feel a right winger that can allow AWB focus on defending and provide more spread in play in the team is necessary. Someone better and more consistent that Rashford. Our problem is that we don't move the ball quickly enough to get the ball up the pitch and even when we do, Bruno is the only creative outlet we have. We need another one on that right flank. Get those two things and United would be almost impossible to beat.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I agree about Centre Back. I don't think it was or has been our biggest problem...it's simply the easiest position to target when something goes wrong. Our biggest issue is the speed of our build up which occurs because none of our centre midfielders are composed enough or having the touch and passing ability to help us get the ball into the attack from the defence.

Additionally, we have no CDM who can win possession and protect the back 4. Matic no longer has the pace to cover the ground required in a league as physical as the Premier League. It's the reason we could score freely from counters and have had periods of solid defending, but have never truly been able to dominate while creating chances. As our forwards are attackers rather than creators, the impetus for moving the ball forward falls solely on the midfield.

I also feel a right winger that can allow AWB focus on defending and provide more spread in play in the team is necessary. Someone better and more consistent that Rashford. Our problem is that we don't move the ball quickly enough to get the ball up the pitch and even when we do, Bruno is the only creative outlet we have. We need another one on that right flank. Get those two things and United would be almost impossible to beat.
It depends on Pogba I think, if he leaves as is likely then we need a midfielder good on the ball more than we need a ball winner. A new winger that is more of a creator like you say is key for us.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Yup, and this is in line with what someone from his entourage told ESPN Uruguay. I really do think that it's the club that's being hesitant on the extension and not Cavani himself. The family are using this as a chance to bring Cavani closer to home and/or earn more money in the process.

FujiVice

What are these dress Man United shirts Cavani is talking about? Do they come with dinner jackets as well?

TrustInOle

Can't complain with what he's said if the translation is right.

Shame there's no fans in stadiums, I think having them at OT would've improved his experience at United.
Definatley agree with this. What a sh!t time he has had since being here, Injuries, Covid and falsely labelled a racist. What he has gave us on the pitch though is even more impressive, always plays with the same desire. Magnificent player and glad I have seen Zlatan and now Cavani play their trade here. Just wish both were a few years earlier.

redshaw

Saw this on Reddit too which corroborates.

To be fair, we did pretty much hang him out to dry.
Probably hard for people in south America to understand the climate and eggshell walking over here, there's no inch to gain in explaining or reasoning, it's just tagged as doubling down and don't let this be the hill you die on so any company can never really try to answer back with reason. More telling is there was no reasoning in the game from other players, just drop the hammer on him as high as possible for speaking his language to a fellow countryman. This is corporate UK and US.

Brightonian

Probably hard for people in south America to understand the climate and eggshell walking over here, there's no inch to gain in explaining or reasoning, it's just tagged as doubling down and don't let this be the hill you die on so any company can never really try to answer back with reason. More telling is there was no reasoning in the game from other players, just drop the hammer on him as high as possible for speaking his language to a fellow countryman. This is corporate UK and US.
But also likewise probably not as much understanding of just how quickly these things blow over and are forgotten. There certainly isn't a mark on his reputation at all. I'd actually forgotten it happened at all until seeing those comments.

I won't be that bothered if we can't keep him, but I do think he's been exceptional, bringing far, far more than the handful of important goals he's scored. And if nothing else, he's surely demonstrated that a proper #9 is one of our most important requirements if we want to improve next season.

But also likewise probably not as much understanding of just how quickly these things blow over and are forgotten. There certainly isn't a mark on his reputation at all. I'd actually forgotten it happened at all until seeing those comments.

I won't be that bothered if we can't keep him, but I do think he's been exceptional, bringing far, far more than the handful of important goals he's scored. And if nothing else, he's surely demonstrated that a proper #9 is one of our most important requirements if we want to improve next season.
When you’re the one who is wrongly accused and then banned for ‘racism’ it’s very different and not easily forgotten.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I think the post is just one reflection of the difficulties/challenges he could be facing in acclimatising to the English media and lifestyle. I mean who could blame him.

His ban was purely out of a need to set the right optics - it didn't serve as a proper precedent because alot of the racism in football stems from casual instances of on and off field squabbling. There was no animosity or hatred in that post. Quite the opposite.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
IF he does go without adding much more to the season, it will make last summer's transfer window pretty shoddy.

van de beek - why?
cavani - good>injured>"racist">gone
Telles - meh
Pellistri - who?

Amad - GOAT

TsuWave

South American and spanish speaking players at City usually go about kicking their ball with no much fuss (except maybe Tevez and Robinho). South American players at United seem to just want to dash out through the doors as quickly as possible. This may not be reflective of reality of course, but it's my perception at least from recent memory.#

Is it because we're pretty hands off in terms of helping players settle? I'm not even sure in this regard, but I remember Martial's ex wife saying something to this effect. That we were pretty hands off and gave them, well him, a life changing platform and money without offering much in terms of guidance. Wonder if other clubs handle things differently.

Last edited:

Grande

South American and spanish speaking players at City usually go about kicking their ball with no much fuss (except maybe Tevez and Robinho). South American players at United seem to just want to dash out through the doors as quickly as possible. This may not be reflective of reality of course, but it's my perception at least from recent memory,

Is it cause we're pretty hands off in terms of helping players settle? I'm not even sure in this regard, but I remember Martial's ex wife saying something to this effect. That we were pretty hands off and gave them, well him, a life changing platform and money without offering much in terms of guidance. Wonder if other clubs handle things differently.
There have come out several stories that I can’t bother to be referanced, that Ferguson put up a thorough network and instilled a mentality in the squad for taking care of young players and foreign players that was very proactive for his time. Likewise stories that Van Gaal neglected this, and Mourinho suicidebombed it, but that Solskjær has rebuilt that mentality and all new players are taken specially care of both in the squad and off the field again. Cavani has had a double stint of bad luck with the covid situation in GB and being used as a posterboy for racism in the era of BLM by the culturally dyslectic FA.

0le

I don't recall many people on the forums, if any, calling him a racist. I don't think many people, if any, see him as a racist either. It was just an unfortunate event but United and the rest of the footballing world also quickly moved on from it. I therefore don't believe this idea that he feels his legacy is "tarnished", despite the claims by his father. Many people also believe the FA is a next to useless in this country and consequently don't take them seriously.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is in his final years of his career, shouldn't be a problem if he wants to go back to South America.

Wish we sign a good CF, who can add more to this team.

Oldtraffordboy

Incredible that people here are still annoyed about this. I don't think anyone called him a racist.

Everyone accepted it was an accident.

The ban was fair enough, people have to take responsibility for their actions when they move to a different country. It would have been no effort at all for the club to say "heres a list of words that you'll get banned for using here", especially after Suarez gate.

I wish people would stop blaming BLM/anti racism action because its pretty dismissive.

SAFMUTD

I think its a tactic to secure a new contract, all this statements from his father seem to me is just to put pressure on us.

According to reports he's on a 160K a week salary, I doubt Boca Juniors can pay even half as much

cjj

Supports
Spurs
I don't recall many people on the forums, if any, calling him a racist. I don't think many people, if any, see him as a racist either. It was just an unfortunate event but United and the rest of the footballing world also quickly moved on from it. I therefore don't believe this idea that he feels his legacy is "tarnished", despite the claims by his father. Many people also believe the FA is a next to useless in this country and consequently don't take them seriously.
It was interesting to see this in the article on SSN:

Luis also believes Cavani's "nonsense" three-match ban earlier this season for using a racially offensive term on social media has had a bearing on his son, insisting he is not racist and that they use the term all the time.
Not verbatim or else it'd be a quote, but it does go to show that some countries are well behind in social terms, if that's the view.

There's a difference between "being racist" and saying things that are insensitive or can be interpreted as such. That seems to be the mistake he made, but I assume that's been lost on him. Certainly explaining 'it isn't racist because we say it all the time' is the kind of thing that people bash old people for using as an excuse for saying non-PC things.

It's a bit like an Aussie going to the US and calling everyone a "C" word and saying "We use it all the time at home - it's a thing you say to a mate". Culture has boundaries, and you have to respect them.

TsuWave

Exactly. People acting like the guy was crucified or is a pariah or something. The guy moved to a new country and used language that isn't culturally or professionally acceptable there. He was sanctioned. The world moved on.

"used as a posterboy for racism in the era of BLM by the culturally dyslectic FA ". God. Cut it out

Tallis

It was interesting to see this in the article on SSN:

Not verbatim or else it'd be a quote, but it does go to show that some countries are well behind in social terms, if that's the view.

There's a difference between "being racist" and saying things that are insensitive or can be interpreted as such. That seems to be the mistake he made, but I assume that's been lost on him. Certainly explaining 'it isn't racist because we say it all the time' is the kind of thing that people bash old people for using as an excuse for saying non-PC things.

It's a bit like an Aussie going to the US and calling everyone a "C" word and saying "We use it all the time at home - it's a thing you say to a mate". Culture has boundaries, and you have to respect them.
I am not sure if the example you give of the Aussie guy is comparable - the Aussie guy can speak English and should frankly now better. I saw the Cavani issue as a combination of the language barrier and some element of cultural unawareness. I suspect people who move to foreign countries need more than few months to learn about cultural nuances particularly if they are trying to overcome the language barrier.

I have sympathy for him / his dad if they feel it was a bit of a Kop out by United. I can also see why United didn’t want to push back on this topic.

From my personal perspective, there is plenty of actual racism going around and everyone should fight it rather than making an example of an unintended and unfortunate mistake by someone who clearly did not make a racist comment.

Green_Red

His father apparently said
"Edinson is going to end up playing in South America. I want Edinson to play in a team that fights for something important."

Makes you wonder why he was OK with him playing for PSG during the best years of his career.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
His father apparently said
"Edinson is going to end up playing in South America. I want Edinson to play in a team that fights for something important."

Makes you wonder why he was OK with him playing for PSG during the best years of his career.
Because PSG actually had a chance at winning the Champion's League and he loved being in Paris?

He wouldn't be the first South American to not enjoy being at Manchester, but I don't think this is anything more than just posturing during contract negotiations.

LoneStar

I think it's a combination of factors, with the FA sanction being the main one. Can't blame him, if he wants to spend the last few years of his career in South America.

Shame though, he would be a great addition to the team 5-6 years ago, top striker and a traditional 9. Always felt this was way too late to being him in, although he's been decent so far, barring injuries and... suspensions.

UmbroDays

Not sure why this thread is fighting so hard for Cavani.

Either we failed to sign/he rejected us in his prime before PSG and he's been OK to average when he's been here and he's on his last legs.

Too much undeserved sentiment for him, let's move on.

pacifictheme

I wonder how much backlash he’ll received compared to others who have had family members talk about their United career to the media
True, although I do think this is different.

For the record I haven't called for pogbas head because of things his agent and brother have said.

But like I say I am not sure the situations are that comparible. Cavani has a 1 year deal, pogbas entourage have been doing it for years.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Moving in the middle of a global pandemic must suck. You're stuck at home/training grounds in the middle of a lockdown and in a city where you barely know anyone.

Marwood

Not sure why this thread is fighting so hard for Cavani.

Either we failed to sign/he rejected us in his prime before PSG and he's been OK to average when he's been here and he's on his last legs.

Too much undeserved sentiment for him, let's move on.
Yeah pretty much agree.

I like him but for a start he's injured too much for a guy who doesn't play much in the first place. We've had players like that for years before the recent improvement in fitness. Let's not go back there.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
From my personal perspective, there is plenty of actual racism going around and everyone should fight it rather than making an example of an unintended and unfortunate mistake by someone who clearly did not make a racist comment.
This is the problem - it was a racist comment, but may not have had racist context. Making things 'acceptable' based on context gives justification to actual racism, which actually makes it dangerous.

To reiterate: it's very worrying that it need explaining