Edinson Cavani - Manchester United Player

Walters_19_MuFc

Yes it's ignorance, because you think the term is not OK to speak in England. For the nth time, he's perfectly fine to speak in Spanish to a fellow South American over Instagram regardless of whether he's making the post in England, or Spain. His wide following speaks many different languages, most of whom know that it was never racist. The club didn't think it was racist, Kick it Out didn't think it was racist, there was even talk of a lawsuit against the FA against it.

The only body that deemed it offensive was the FA, an institution well renowned for it's ignorance.
I think it's ignorance, or quite possibly arrogance from Cavani to think he can write anything and not think about the possible effects it could have on some people.

He was rightfully punished.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think it's ignorance, or quite possibly arrogance from Cavani to think he can write anything and not think about the possible effects it could have on some people.

He was rightfully punished.
What are are you on about? There is no "effect" it had on anyone, because he didn't use a racist word. You're just making shit up now.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ok, I was making everything up and he was banned for nothing.
Well done, you're there now. He didn't actually say anything offensive, he got banned because it sounded like an offensive word in English. But he spoke in Spanish to a fellow South American over Instagram and the FA only know English - and ignorant cnuts that they are, decided to take offence. No one was actually offended by what he said, and people started calling the FA out for cultural racism. Pretty much the whole of South America were raising eyebrows at the FA, and people over Europe too - https://strettynews.com/2020/12/19/...racism-after-charging-cavani-with-misconduct/.

"The Premier League is a worldwide brand, it attracts players from across the globe and Premier League football is watched in countries across the world. This gives the FA a responsibility for having an international outlook and an appreciation of cultural and linguistic differences instead of narrowmindedly exercising cultural imperialism and handing out punishments to foreign players who do everything they can to adapt to the norms of British society and British football.”

^ Now, if you want to have this view that he was "arrogant" or "ignorant" because "this is England" and it's not how we do things, then in my opinion you're as much of the problem as the FA are and are probably better suited to just watching leagues without foreign players.

Walters_19_MuFc

Well done, you're there now. He didn't actually say anything offensive, he got banned because it sounded like an offensive word in English. But he spoke in Spanish to a fellow South American over Instagram and the FA only know English - and ignorant cnuts that they are, decided to take offence. No one was actually offended by what he said, and people started calling the FA out for cultural racism. Pretty much the whole of South America were raising eyebrows at the FA, and people over Europe too - https://strettynews.com/2020/12/19/...racism-after-charging-cavani-with-misconduct/.

"The Premier League is a worldwide brand, it attracts players from across the globe and Premier League football is watched in countries across the world. This gives the FA a responsibility for having an international outlook and an appreciation of cultural and linguistic differences instead of narrowmindedly exercising cultural imperialism and handing out punishments to foreign players who do everything they can to adapt to the norms of British society and British football.”

^ Now, if you want to have this view that he was "arrogant" or "ignorant" because "this is England" and it's not how we do things, then in my opinion you're as much of the problem as the FA are and are probably better suited to just watching leagues without foreign players.
Give over, pal. I don't make the decisions. He got banned. Move on....

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Give over, pal. I don't make the decisions. He got banned. Move on....
I moved on from it. I just said I can understand his anger, and his shoes I'd feel the same. It was just revisted when you quoted otherwise. You can talk all you want about "not making decisions", but you were agreeing with the FA based on stupid reasoning and ignorance, which I've now proven so yes, happy to move on from this debate too.

Walters_19_MuFc

I moved on from it. I just said I can understand his anger, and his shoes I'd feel the same. It was just revisted when you quoted otherwise. You can talk all you want about "not making decisions", but you were agreeing with the FA based on stupid reasoning and ignorance, which I've now proven so yes, happy to move on from this debate too.
Great stuff.

Now, he can run back to Uruguay or wherever he wants to go because he's angry and confused.

Judas

Open to offers
Much more like it from him today. Couple of class finishes, just played like he gave a feck. No surprise we play with a higher tempo and he's more impactful.

RUCK4444

Showcased everything he’s about today.

Movement, movement, movement.

Stitch Martials eyelids open and place a TV in front of him showing constant replays of Cavani movement.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
As much as I like Cavani, this is terrible news. I say this because it pretty much reduces the chances of us signing a striker this summer down to 0%.

Once again the cheap option for the leeches.

Nick7

It’s great news for me. There are no top strikers that we really have a shot at signing this summer. Hopefully we can use this to fill the other gaps we have.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Awesome news. Might mean we go in big for Sancho now.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I hope this is true. A player like him deserves to play in front of a full Old Trafford. He would receive an incredible reception from the crowd.
Him staying would also help us focus on more urgent issues / positions.

Lemansky

As much as I like Cavani, this is terrible news. I say this because it pretty much reduces the chances of us signing a striker this summer down to 0%.

It’s superb news. We have zero shot at Haaland or Mbappe. There just aren’t many top class strikers out there. With his extension in order we can concentrate on other flaws in our team and go back for Haaland the summer after.

CG1010

Its a good news because it gives us a season to integrate Greenwood slowly into that position and give a last chance to martial (who knows if he has some background issues like Lingard's mental health challenges that he needs to solve). But I am assuming the funds can be used to strengthen other areas and not be stingy like last time.

Rick88

If I am not wrong, we got a good player on not obscenely high wages. Now that he has proved himself, he must have worked out a good contract for himself. I believe it was around 150k a week when he joined. He'd have negotiated one for 200k+ a week easily.

RUCK4444

Good news this.
Sell Martial and get in a real forward.
That would be ideal. Except what will probably happen is we will keep Martial and not sign Haaland which in itself would be a major loss for us if he ends up at City in particular.

I'd keep Cavani regardless. Just wanted us to sign an elite striker that will be with us for the long term.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Woohoo! He's been a fantastic addition to the squad. Still has a lot of mileage in him, in my opinion.

If we get Sancho, (and maybe move on Martial), having Rashford, Cavani, Mason, Sancho, Pogba and James for those front 3 positions will be excellent.

Good news for Greenwood if he stays but I hope it doesnt mean we're not at least trying for Haaland.

Sorry man but the guy is top class and we clearly wanna be in the Haaland race next Summer, so it makes every bit of sense to keep Edi and strengthen in other areas. We don't have the funds to buy top RW and a top CF in one Summer.

AshRK

We can focus on other areas then. Maybe sancho and a defender is a priority so cavani staying makes sense.

given we have a massive wage bill and have spent £900m since fergie left… this is not a decision that is due to being cheap.

this is a player who is different to what we have, who gives us a good option. It’s a no brainier to keep him here. The only question is fitness.

I’d rather cavani dtays for another year, than spunk £30-50m on a second rate striker. He’s here, doing the business. Good to keep him.

remind me, what strikers can we actually buy for under £100m?