Edinson Cavani - Manchester United Player

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Maybe I wasn't paying attention before but does anyone else think Cavanis movement gets hyped up way too much. I've never heard so much praise about a striker's movement. Even before he came I heard more about his work rate and missed chances than his movement.
It’s not hype if it’s legit. Cavani has been known with his movement off the ball for ages.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention before but does anyone else think Cavanis movement gets hyped up way too much. I've never heard so much praise about a striker's movement. Even before he came I heard more about his work rate and missed chances than his movement.
I don’t think it’s overrated - but it’s often all commentators talk about. When he scores, it’s all about his movement, not the finish. It’s as if they have “line to take” when it comes to Cavani.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
They’re so used to Martial stinking up the place and being a static lamp post for most of the game that as soon as they see a CF excel at basic CF stuff they get overly excited.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His movement was talked about before he moved. I recall a match for PSG against Arsenal where he missed so many sitters but the commentary marvelled at his movement and how it was the best in Europe. An article from 2011 claimed it was his biggest strength.

At the start of his time at Palermo, Cavani was farmed out wide and many critics believed he would never have the quality to be true number nine. He uses his six foot two stature to his advantage, and is surprisingly quick for towering forward. His unorthodox dribbling style bemuses defenders, and overall his movement sets him apart. He makes space for his team-mates and times his runs to perfection. In many ways Cavani makes his own luck, he always seems to be in the right place at the right time, and his grinta (Italian for grit) always means he's one step ahead. The main difference between him and other strikers is his defensive capabilities. He'll be counter-attacking one minute and saving the defence the next.

Davie Moyes

No offence mate but I do think you need to look closer. Even Harry Maguire said he's the best he's ever faced in regards to movement.

dave1956

In a striker movement into the penalty area is all importent, it allows you to be in the correct position in the correct body posture to address the ball correctly so you score. How many times do you see players move into the area address the ball incorectly, ( body leaning back so the ball balloons over the bar or too close so they cannot strike or head the ball correctly ). Watch the top strikers for say the last 30 years and they all have that ability, they arrive at the right spot with the correct body angle to strike the ball and in general they make the keeper work to make the save or the ball ends up in the net.

tenpoless

RvP did it, Rooney did it, RvN did it, even Chicarito did it and many more.... its just that we havent had a proper striker like them for years now that once we have Cavani who does it, it feels very refreshing.

Tallis

Wish he stays. I don’t think him staying or leaving should determine what we do with the striker position in the summer. If a long term option becomes available, we should just sign him and allow him to ease in with Cavani around for another year. Whether we sign a new striker should be determined based on what’s available in the summer.

TheReligion

Abusive
No his movement is very good. All of the former top pros specifically point this out.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Nah, his movement was discussed & lauded alongside the issues with his finishing.

In many ways, he positively affects us up top in the same vein as Henderson positively affects us on the opposite side of the pitch.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
RvP did it, Rooney did it, RvN did it, even Chicarito did it and many more.... its just that we havent had a proper striker like them for years now that once we have Cavani who does it, it feels very refreshing.
Chicarito had the best movement of any forward I’ve seen at United. Ronaldo also developed his and was unbelievable.

On Cavani, he’s done very little to warrant the talk of it being imperative that we keep him. The Southampton and Spurs games are by far his best performances. Beyond that his performances haven’t been great and he hasn’t scored a hatful of goals either.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Except in the Burnley game :lol: but let’s pretend that didn’t happen :lol:
Are you talking about Henderson here?

One game does not define someone.

Henderson adds solidity to our defense. Much in the same way as Cavani adds structure to our front line.

izec

Think he will leave, he has a lot to offer to a team like Boca and he can live close to his family and friends. At this stage of his career and with Covid, i dont see him hanging around

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Henderson adds solidity to our defense. Much in the same way as Cavani adds structure to our front line.
I am, but I am joking! I don’t think I conveyed that well, he was just very shakey against Burnley, like I said it was a one off so I am going to pretend it didn’t happen. :D

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Chicarito had the best movement of any forward I’ve seen at United. Ronaldo also developed his and was unbelievable.

On Cavani, he’s done very little to warrant the talk of it being imperative that we keep him. The Southampton and Spurs games are by far his best performances. Beyond that his performances haven’t been great and he hasn’t scored a hatful of goals either.
For movement, Ruud = Cavani >>> Chicharito > Van Persie > Rooney

cyril C

Unfortunately, goalkeeper only need 1-2 games to haunt him forever, particularly if it was a Champions League Final, or a mistake that cost the team dearly, with our press forever reminding us & him, just like how hard they tried on DDG's previous mistakes. We are still reminded by TV and press, of the Spurs goal that should have been registered.

Striker on the other hand, can walk away from 1-2 bad games and score a handful in the next one.

i.e. If Henderson repeats another howler like he did at Burnley, he should be sold, before he end up like Pickford.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The reason why it's so talked about is because even the best strikers in the world at the moment don't match Cavani for movement, Kane would be a perfect example of this. Kane's the better player no doubt but he gets his goals in different ways than Cavani does. It's a unique attribute Cavani has. That isn't a dig at Kane though as you'd obviously take his 30 goals a season coming from all different sources over the handful Cavani may get due to smart movement (which is reliant obviously on a team mate being on the same wavelength as him)

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Unfortunately, goalkeeper only need 1-2 games to haunt him forever, particularly if it was a Champions League Final, or a mistake that cost the team dearly, with our press forever reminding us & him, just like how hard they tried on DDG's previous mistakes. We are still reminded by TV and press, of the Spurs goal that should have been registered.

Striker on the other hand, can walk away from 1-2 bad games and score a handful in the next one.

i.e. If Henderson repeats another howler like he did at Burnley, he should be sold, before he end up like Pickford.
No doubt, except for the howler part.

Not really the crux of this comparison, though.

Stacks

too injury prone too. He has played 1666 minutes which is basically 18 full 90 minute games. The 10 goal return is just what is it, a good back up striker.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
too injury prone too. He has played 1666 minutes which is basically 18 full 90 minute games. The 10 goal return is just what is it, a good back up striker.
Sancho Bruno Pogba
Rashford/Greenwood/Cavani​

If you ask me whether that front four with the idea of rotating our no 9 is good enough for challenging the league title or no, I would say Yes. Injury prone or no, another year of Cavani is still needed because we don't have striker like him, he will provide something different and he cost no transfer fees.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Fingers crossed he plays tomorrow. Think he could have a field day against that Leeds back line.

Stacks

Sancho Bruno Pogba
Rashford/Greenwood/Cavani​

If you ask me whether that front four with the idea of rotating our no 9 is good enough for challenging the league title or no, I would say Yes. Injury prone or no, another year of Cavani is still needed because we don't have striker like him, he will provide something different and he cost no transfer fees.
I don't see how that a title challenge. Two of the strikers have like 10 goals this season. No one in this list have 25-30 goals bar boosie. You need more than good rotation options to challange imo

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don't see how that a title challenge. Two of the strikers have like 10 goals this season. No one in this list have 25-30 goals bar boosie. You need more than good rotation options to challange imo
This concept one player must score 25-30 goals to be in title challenge is non-sense. Football is about team not one player. You can combine Cavani, Rashford and Greenwood together to produce 30-35 goals. And then add Bruno to score 20 goals. Add Sancho to score 10 goals. And Pogba to score 5 goals. You have in total 65-70 goals from only 6 players.

RobertoBaggio99

This concept one player must score 25-30 goals to be in title challenge is non-sense.
100%, and it shouldn't be a concept in the first place. Chelsea won back-to-back landslide-titles in mid 00's with Lampard(13, 16) as their leading goalscorer - 18th and relegated was Crystal Palace who's top scorer was Andrew Johnson with 21. Current examples are City, Leipzig and Lille sitting 1st, 2nd and 1st(ppm) with Gundogan(12), Sabitzer(7) and Yilmaz(10) leading the ranks. Needless to say the best teams delegate the goal-scoring task to a variety of players rather than just one or two -

Sancho Bruno Pogba
Rashford/Greenwood/Cavani
- That is not to say a Kane or Haaland in there couldn't potentially lift us from 2nd to 1st, but if they did it would be because they're both extraordinarily good players, not because a high scoring top scorer is a must, if it was it wouldn't cost us 130 mill to obtain.

Rolaholic

I doubt Boca's interest will go away if he sticks around one more season.

Just feel like it'd be a shame if he didn't get to experience an Old Trafford crowd as a red before he heads back to South America

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

I doubt Boca's interest will go away if he sticks around one more season.

Just feel like it'd be a shame if he didn't get to experience an Old Trafford crowd as a red before he heads back to South America
He's definitely got the quality for another season at the top in Europe at least. Hope he stays, it will make our limited transfer dealings this summer more palatable if he does.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Cavani is a wonderful footballer. He actually tries. Greenwood pretends, Rashfords flatters, Martial misses, Cavani actually wants to win. Great player and anyone who says different is THICK.

Fridge chutney

Cavani is a wonderful footballer. He actually tries. Greenwood pretends, Rashfords flatters, Martial misses, Cavani actually wants to win. Great player and anyone who says different is THICK.
This is such a silly comparison. What does Greenwood pretend to do, exactly? He's 19 ffs. Rashford can be frustrating but his numbers are impressive and he is still only 22.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry

Just because I'm still bitter at LVG - noticed our fav Mexican striker netting 5 times in his first two matches in MLS. No one will ever convince me that he couldn't have done more off the bench in these past 5 years than the sheer lack of options we've had up front.

Imagine getting rid of that type of player. United through and through, happy to sit on the bench, excellent in the dressing room and a proven winner. And you get rid of him so you can stick Depay up for 20 mins a season.