Edinson Cavani - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

AneRu

I don't understand why Cavani is being compared to Ighalo, even he will know there is no comparison. The forward line finallybhas some depth, Martial, Cavani, Greenwood and Ighalo, a good mix of experiences too. We badly need a right winger still, i think we will sign someone, it is just a question of who. I just cannot believe how relaxed we have come across to signing a right winger. We have been desperate for someone in that position for years now.
I think for Ole its Sancho or bust hence we haven't been seriously linked to another RW before the Dembele links. Dembele strikes me as someone the management views as someone who is an elite talent and has potential to be a top player if he matures mentally - a project that could pay off huge dividends or fail hence the reluctance to make him a permanent signing.

I'm really struggling to get excited for this.

Yes, he knows how to score goals but he's 33, hasn't played for months, has never played at the very top level, and is just starting to pick up a few injury issues. . Meanwhile the player we all really want sits over in Dortmund waiting for a phone call that will never come.

This has last minute panic buy after another failed transfer window written all over it. We will market it as a big superstar signing and pretend the last two months never happened. It's a replacement for a substitute and nothing more.

RUCK4444

Has he still got incredible movement?

Whenever I’ve seen him play in the past he would tend to be quite wasteful but would get into great positions with constantly good movement.

dev1l

Interesting point actually. If he’s announced with ‘enough’ time for further deals, the squad number he’s given will surely indicate what our remaining plans are.

Maybe.
Back to the Summer of 2009, our no 7 Ronaldo joined Real Madrid. We wondered who ll be the next no 7.
Enter Michael Owen , signed on a free release from relegated Newcastle United.

If we fail to.sign Sancho, i m sure Cavani will get the shirt.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Theres a difference between depth and saying the right side is unresolved though.
How so? I’m a massive Greenwood fan and hope he has a great season for us but our lack of depth on both attacking left or rights positions is an unresolved problem in my view.

SplitzMagic

He's probably not 'match fit' but he's a proper athlete. This was taken last month
Maaaaaate. This guy is scary looking. He could do horror movies when he actually retires.

Maybe that's why we have got him. To give players actual nightmares.

cpresc

I was reluctant at first, for sure. First reaction was that this is another Falcao or Fellaini.

HOWEVER

If we get Sancho, perhaps this is a squad signing giving us a new front three for smaller games.

Rashford
Martial (Greenwood sub)
Sancho

James
Cavani
New Uraguyan lad

The primary attack plays one touch fluid football. The secondary team plays fast flanks looking for a target man.

Could be really good.

WPMUFC

Maaaaaate. This guy is scary looking. He could do horror movies when he actually retires.

Maybe that's why we have got him. To give players actual nightmares.
woodward signed him so he'd send shivers down the spines when named on the team sheet :lol: :)

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
How so? I’m a massive Greenwood fan and hope he has a great season for us but our lack of depth on both attacking left or rights positions is an unresolved problem in my view.
We have this problem upfront too though, ighalo is crap and gone in January anyway. We needed a striker aswell as a rw

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
People seriously expecting us to complete 3 transfers in one day?

Telles, Sancho/Demebele and Cavani all on deadline day? Never happening in a million years with the way we do our business.

Ollie Derbyshire

I see you're still rambling. :lol: Your comments make no sense, you are just trying to say whatever in order to oppose my opinion.
Haha whatever, you’ve talked nothing but rubbish this whole thread. Put your dummy in and go take a nap little one.

Matt6677

It’s kind of embarrassing that we’ve been bumming and blowing about Sancho all summer to then go and sign Cavani.
Other clubs supporters will be laughing at us..
They already are

Have you checked the BBC comments section on this story?

We are the butt of jokes. It's so embarrassing to be a fan of this club now.

Our rivals are making jealousy inducing signings are we are signing a washed up 33 year old who nobody else wants.

I'm fed up. Just fed up

WPMUFC

Telles, Sancho/Demebele and Cavani all on deadline day? Never happening in a million years with the way we do our business.
the amount of positive cavani posts that need to also include "if we get more players" is absolutely hilarious. :lol:

Kostov

People are deluded, best we can get is crooked Dembele on 5 year contract, because why the feck not ?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
HOWEVER

If we get Sancho, perhaps this is a squad signing giving us a new front three for smaller games.

Rashford
Martial (Greenwood sub)
Sancho

James
Cavani
New Uraguyan lad

The primary attack plays one touch fluid football. The secondary team plays fast flanks looking for a target man.

Could be really good.
We won't.

WPMUFC

Cavani was the end of our window. We aren't signing anyone else.

stop trying to blunt this deal with "we'll sign more players"

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
the amount of positive cavani posts that need to also include "if we get more players" is absolutely hilarious. :lol:
The same post, posted by the same poster over and over is more hilarious

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Yeah, I’m all for Cavani coming, quality player and great to have someone of his caliber as striker cover, I originally said I’d just be a bit disappointed if this was the only business we did.
I see, yes I’d also like another winger, not necessarily sancho

Castia

we’ll get this done today and the press will be briefed about no more incomings.....hold onto your butt’s.

Glorio

Please no

What's all the jazz about a cultural reboot then? Please no - we might as well just give up

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I see, yes I’d also like another winger, not necessarily sancho
I agree. I’d even be happy keeping James as cover for the left, he seems better there than on the right but we need another good right sided attacking wide player either to be a first teamed or as quality cover and competition for Greenwood.

Smores

Hopefully he's good but i expect those attacking any criticisms of Cavani now will in a few months be slagging him off to defend any criticism on Oles lack of rotation. Same thing happened with Ighalo.

It's easy to attack any criticism when you don't have to be consistent with your own opinions.

Ranchero

Firstly it is fair to say Cavani is an act of desperation to appease the fans. Otherwise, we could have had him in well before now. Secondly, whether desperation or not, we do actually need a proven goalscorer and Cavani, 33 or not, actually makes sense. My one major qualm is his fitness. He is prone to being out through injury and I cannot see he gets older that that will change. Martial, as much as everyone loves him, is not the finished article as a striker. He has been effectively learning the position. So, I would not see Cavani as playing second fiddle to Martial in any way, more to provide much needed competition so that the Frenchman cannot go into lax mode. At Cavani's age, he would need to be starting games otherwise it is a waste of time.

So as much as I can see through the desperation, whether he is this year's Falcao or Zlatan, is definitely an open question.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Hopefully he's good but i expect those attacking any criticisms of Cavani now will in a few months be slagging him off to defend any criticism on Oles lack of rotation. Same thing happened with Ighalo.

It's easy to attack any criticism when you don't have to be consistent with your own opinions.
We signed Igahlo on deadline day in January out of desperation. Ole didn't want him he really wanted Haaland. Another player we couldn't get and had to make do.

Is it any wonder Ole barely used Igahlo? He probably never wanted him.

Firstly it is fair to say Cavani is an act of desperation to appease the fans. Otherwise, we could have had him in well before now.
How many times does it need repeating in this thread that it appears his and his agents demands have dropped?
Even Romano has confirmed we are going to pay less than the 10m agent fee they wanted from Ath. Madrid and any other potential suitors earlier in the window.
Likely he was Athletico bound and was always going to drop his demands late in the window if they didn’t cave, but the Suarez/Juve/Ath. Madrid situation fecked that up for them.
Cavani on decent wages, a decent agent fee and a 1+1 deal isn’t panicking, it’s an opportunity.

Rajma

I'm really struggling to get excited for this.

Yes, he knows how to score goals but he's 33, hasn't played for months, has never played at the very top level, and is just starting to pick up a few injury issues. . Meanwhile the player we all really want sits over in Dortmund waiting for a phone call that will never come.

This has last minute panic buy after another failed transfer window written all over it. We will market it as a big superstar signing and pretend the last two months never happened. It's a replacement for a substitute and nothing more.
I’m sorry what? Easily one of the best strikers of his generation.

Msuker

I always like him starting from his Napoli days. It even made watching Uruguay somewhat bearable for me despite the presence of Suarez. I certainly like Cavani more as a player than Larsson, Sheringham, Falcao, Sanchez and even Zlatan (before their joining us of course, for some perhaps even after they joined us).

In terms of his position and role in the current team, Cavani offers the physical presence and playstyle our three gifted young strikers do not. It's a much healthier competition with four start-able frontmen, even without injury or fatigue factored in. And I believe all three can learn something from Cavani, mentally and technically.

Let's see how the transfer pan out, whether it's more a Larsson/Sheringham or Falcao/Sanchez. If Cavani does a Zlatan, we will be in dreamland.

Telles would be a no-brainer with Cavani, hopefully? His crossing could price at 50 grand a piece and we may still make a profit with Cavani in the middle.

Reactions: Penna
Status
Not open for further replies.