Edinson Cavani - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma_87

You know who
I don't understand the direction of this club anymore. From the well-oiled machine to the jokes of what we've become is quite upsetting. Nobody else even wants him. That says it all, my friend.
It smacks of desperation. Most probably it is.

Telles is not a bad signing, but this one.. :houllier:

The_Midfielder

Let's give him a chance .. If he displays , grit , class and the desire to be on the first 11 .. then him and Martial fighing over that position will do us good..But if he wants to just play as backup, then we are fecked

luke511

To think he's managed to net a 200k a week 2 year contract at 33 years old, a few years after his prime, only United..

MattyB1986

It smacks of desperation. Most probably it is.

Telles is not a bad signing, but this one.. :houllier:
It seems to be a thing the Glazer's like? Like their Tampa side just got a over-the-hill Brady, etc, and their fans seem to hate them as well. Or is this a Ole signing? Doesn't seem to fit it into what Ole was trying to project to us though last season, especially.

Edit: No my Portuguese friend told me Telles is a good signing - I personally never watched him much previously.

peridigm

If he's anyway fit surely he starts,martial has been dreadful
He's got two weeks to get fit since he's not been selected or international duty, because he's not fit. I can see him getting minutes against New Castle and PSG after the break.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I don't enjoy the Falcao comparison. Correct me if I'm wrong but Falcao had a far worse injury than Cavani to come over, and Falcao was brought in as our number 9 whereas Cavani is brought to add depth and help us with a plan B.

Moreover Cavani is reported to come in on £175k or so a week according to Athletic whereas I think Falcao was on 200-250k? So is this comparison just based on age? Or what exactly.
It is the same scenario, huge wages and no guarantees for starting time and synergy with the league to make an impact. Not comparing their injury record.

If martial can’t handle being dropped because there’s a player here playing better than him, that’s on him and his attitude, no one else. We can’t not sign players incase our existing players sulk if they’re dropped for them
Well if he did it would make it 3 for 3 on strops. Zlatan and then Lukaku and potentially with Cavani. Agreed on both points though, we shouldn't be doing that. But the absolute briefcase that Martial is on and being nowhere near value to what he's being paid he is and should be the starter and you would think some consideration has to be taken in his status as a player. Rightly or wrongly.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It is the same scenario, huge wages and no guarantees for starting time and synergy with the league to make an impact. Not comparing their injury record.
He is paid around 150K per week, it's not huge wages, well unless you argue 150K is also huge wage.

DSG

What a load of shite. Not that Cavani is necessarily bad per se, but we are supposed to be squad building. How is bringing in a 33 year old on high wages even a good idea???? This smells like Sanchez all over again. He's going to underperform, the fans are going to get down on him, he's going to play worse under pressure.

Maybe, maybe as a "break glass in case of emergency" type of cover for Martial if he gets injured, but this is not going to turn out well.

The club is in shambles, and we have Ed the wheeler dealer bringing in players who don't fit our ethos and we don't particularly need. Did we not just lose 6-1 to Spurs? Don't we need a center back? He's just making the same fecking mistakes over and over again.

roonster09

Scout
It seems to be a thing the Glazer's like? Like their Tampa side just got a over-the-hill Brady, etc, and their fans seem to hate them as well. Or is this a Ole signing? Doesn't seem to fit it into what Ole was trying to project to us though last season, especially.

Edit: No my Portuguese friend told me Telles is a good signing - I personally never watched him much previously.
I dont think there is any club which follows rigid transfer policy, "we are focusing on young signings" doesn't mean we won't sign old players at all. We need attackers and looks like we don't have money to spend or won't be willing to spend, so it's a free transfer for back up role.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
£500k p/w for a proven, talented goalscorer who is going to elevate us to the next level. Absolute steal. Ridiculous implying we need a DoF with these sick signings being made.

nainaisson

Hard to believe we're paying 4.5 billion per week for a 74 year old. Seems a bit much, but I have a gut feeling he's worth it.

roonster09

Scout
Can't belive we renamed Old Trafford to "Cavani stadium" to sign him.

Waynne

^^ Why so many different figures thrown around. I'm confused now.

I don't understand this signing.

We need better defenders. Can't challenge for or win titles with Bailey, Maguire and Lindelof in defence.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
To think he's managed to net a 200k a week 2 year contract at 33 years old, a few years after his prime, only United..
2 year contract? I thought it was just the one year. Why do we want to tie down a 33 year old CF on big wages for that long..?

beingshe7don

2 year contract? I thought it was just the one year. Why do we want to tie down a 33 year old CF on big wages for that long..?
It's the regular United way of writing up contracts. One year + One year to extend (United's option). But knowing United, we will extend his deal because we will not want to spend big on a striker and will hope to get Haaland for 75m from Dortmund with entire Europe pining for his signature in 2 years.

Micky Targaryen

Let him kick a ball first FFS. Why are all of you so desperate for him to fail?

The same people who wants him to flop so badly just so they can say ‘I told you so’.

beingshe7don

The same people who wants him to flop so badly just so they can say ‘I told you so’.
I don't think he'll fail. He'll have a point to prove. But then again, we really need to start using the width and start crossing the ball in for Cavani to attack. Telles coming in will be a huge benefit. I'm hoping whichever RW that comes in also help with this situation.

DevilRed

I don't think he'll fail. He'll have a point to prove. But then again, we really need to start using the width and start crossing the ball in for Cavani to attack. Telles coming in will be a huge benefit. I'm hoping whichever RW that comes in also help with this situation.
How the actual feck could he fail when our forwards have managed a grand total of 1 goal (and 1 red card) in 3 league matches?

All he has to do is score 1 and he might already be our most in form forward :lol:

He is brought in to replace Ighalo but I wouldn’t be surprised if he took mason or martials place by December

RedDevil@84

People are not wishing him to fail. They are predicting he will fail. There is a difference.

Son

I don’t get the doom and gloom about this signing. He’s immediately the best finisher at the club and may overtake Martial for the starting spot even in his mid 30’s.

The guy has been an absolute class act all his career. It’s not like we could have signed a better striker right now on paper. We needed more top level experience to the attack.

Guy is a winner and I’m happy to take the L if I’m wrong but I think this is a decent signing for the club. Ibra was a top player for us regardless of his haters and he was even older.

Also who are we to be turning our nose up at Cavani as a squad player? Our team needs leadership and he’s always lead the line well. Not once have I ever questioned his professionalism even when Neymar was publicly humiliating the guy taking the ball off him etc. Seems humble to me.

Deery

Dreary
If anyone watched the football at the weekend you’ll have seen Son and Ollie Watkins rip the defence apart with speed and legs, that’s what you need to compete today in the premier league.
It’s a much different league today than it was years ago, the thought of bringing a 33 year old poacher in and expecting a huge goal return is crazy. We don’t even create many chances in games, who’s going to provide the assists for him?
How’s he going to get in behind a high line or keep up a hard press for long periods of time?
We needed a young fast forward with plenty of legs and good directness towards goal Son, Watkins, Vardy, Wilson, Ings, Richarlison, Salah, Jimenez all a common theme in their play and it works for premier league.
Whoever sanctioned this deal knows nothing about football or the modern game.

Revan

Assumptionman
Wouldn’t be surprised if by the end of season, he is our top goalscorer.

red thru&thru

^^ Why so many different figures thrown around. I'm confused now.

I don't understand this signing.

We need better defenders. Can't challenge for or win titles with Bailey, Maguire and Lindelof in defence.
They're taking the mick with the wages due to everyone having a melt down on his wages and length of contract.

I think Ducker last night came up with £250k pw for a 1 year contract with an option for a further year.

By the looks of things, we need to strengthen in every position after the past few league games. However, striker position is a position we definitely do, as Ighalo just hasn't produced & now with Martial missing for 3 league games, shows we have no one up there.

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
Billions and billions and billions per week for a 60 year old is insane. Bing bong bing.

theklr

Greenwood will be ready to be Martial's backup in a year, sensible option on a 1+1 contract

lewwoo

Can see him replacing Martial who is far too inconsistent and doesn't score enough to be number 9. Not sure Cavani is the answer at his age but he is a proven goal scorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.