Edinson Cavani - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kajus

If it's a two year deal where both the player and the team can break it after the first year.. How is it any different from a one year deal?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
If it's a two year deal where both the player and the team can break it after the first year.. How is it any different from a one year deal?
a) The second year terms are already written up, rather than having to be re-negotiated

b) Under a standard one year deal with no clause the player could sign a pre-contract with another club in January

Kaos

Let's hope he has the Larsson effect.
Larsson had Giggs, Ronaldo, Scholes and Carrick playing behind him.

If you’re a classic goal poacher you need your team to actually create chances. Our best assister over the last 15 or so games has been the penalty spot.

Alemar

Well he's screwed here then..

Can Luke Shaw cross properly? No.
Can AWB cross properly? No.
Can Daniel James cross properly? No.
Can Rashy cross properly? Once in a while.
Yes, that’s not how we play. 1-2s, backheels, through balls - that’s how we try to score, and with individual effort such as Greenwood shots.

Deery

Dreary
But Jimenez isn't fast though.
He’s very direct towards goal.
And Vardy is far from young
Not young but extremely fast and has plenty of legs plays like a 27 year old.
Jimenez isn’t fast. Nor are Abraham, Wood, Giroud, Deeney and others who scored a fair amount just last season.

Son and Watkins aren’t backup players and would cost huge money

We don’t need a huge goal return, we need a backup.

We already have 3 young fast forwards in Rashford, Martial, and Greenwood. Why the feck would we need another identical player to do the exact same thing as them and offer nothing new?

Pace, pace, pace, talk about knowing football yet your entire knowledge is basically a FIFA player
I don’t play fifa, you obviously haven’t watched any top clubs recently, if your level is Wood, Deeney and Giroud then I 100% understand why the club is where it is. How many goals was scored between them I’d say less than 23 and Deeney’s on pens.

Haaland and Mbappe is another example of young players with legs eating up there leagues.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He’s very direct towards goal.

Not young but extremely fast and has plenty of legs plays like a 27 year old.

I don’t play fifa, you obviously haven’t watched any top clubs recently, if your level is Wood, Deeney and Giroud then I 100% understand why the club is where it is. How many goals was scored between them I’d say less than 23 and Deeney’s on pens.

Haaland and Mbappe is another example of young players with legs eating up there leagues.
Giroud literally plays on a top club. You obviously haven’t watched the premier league. They got 32, so I’d say you’re wrong yet again. Conveniently took out Abraham too. Let’s add in Pukki with 11 too. They must not be playing modern football though with their 50+ goals.

Yes, let’s just sign Haaland and Mbappe to be our back up striker.

Deery

Dreary
Atleast wait and watch him play. Ibra did very well for his age. Rvp was fantastic for the club. He is still primarily brought in as a backup striker to Martial who can hold the ball and apparently score headers. Even Giroud has performed well for chelsea.
There’s no doubt he was a quality striker and can still bag us a few goals but the top clubs are all based around speed nowadays. Even Chelsea are changing from Giroud to Werner.
I don't know if you have watched Cavani, but he isn't a Falcao type of striker, he's actually a lot more like Vardy, not as fast, but fast enough, and one of the most impressive forward I have watched in real life.
The thing with Cavani, is that most of his work goes unnoticed when you only watch him on TV. He constantly makes great runs, has an amazing workrate to press, compensate other players movements, and create space. the only aspect of his game that lets him down is his finishing when he has to take more than one touch.
There are obvious concerns about his age and the fact that he hasn't played in 8 months, but if you get the Cavani I have seen in 2017/2018, I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised. PSG fans loved him for a reason.
I liked his determination in the box more than anything else about him to be honest he’s one of those players that takes five shots to score a goal. I’m saying if we actually are keeping up with times and the standard of the league then an ageing striker isn’t the route to take.

Kajus

a) The second year terms are already written up, rather than having to be re-negotiated
If any party is unhappy with the current terms, they can break the contract and suggest to resign on new terms, so again this works as a one year deal.

b) Under a standard one year deal with no clause the player could sign a pre-contract with another club in January
This however completely makes sense and answers my question. Thanks!

Deery

Dreary
Giroud literally plays on a top club. You obviously haven’t watched the premier league. They got 32, so I’d say you’re wrong yet again. Conveniently took out Abraham too. Let’s add in Pukki with 11 too. They must not be playing modern football though with their 50+ goals.

Yes, let’s just sign Haaland and Mbappe to be our back up striker.
I’ll give you Abraham played well for Chelsea and Villa, although Pukki is another player that is direct and drives towards goal with lesser pace.
Giroud literally getting squeezed out of the squad for Werner, you obviously aren’t watching enough premier league and seeing the direction it’s taken.

Alemar

I’m saying if we actually are keeping up with times and the standard of the league then an ageing striker isn’t the route to take.
We are not keeping up with the aforementioned. If we were, we would have planned our transfer activities in advance and wouldn’t have extended contracts for shit players, as well as wouldn’t have hesitated to sell average players

Beaucoup

I can't wait to see how the club are going to try and paint a positive spin on this one.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I’ll give you Abraham played well for Chelsea and Villa, although Pukki is another player that is direct and drives towards goal with lesser pace.
Giroud literally getting squeezed out of the squad for Werner, you obviously aren’t watching enough premier league and seeing the direction it’s taken.
Cavani is also direct and drives toward goal.

Giroud isn’t being squeezed out of anything. He was backup last season and is backup this season.

You’re obviously just chatting complete shit.

First you say only fast players can score in the PL - wrong, several slower players have scored a good amount. Which has you shifting goalposts to claim they’re slow but direct.

Then you’re for some inexplicable reason talking about Mbappe and Halaand as if they are in anyway relevant to signing a backup striker for free. They aren’t.

Now you’re saying Giroud is being squeezed out when he quite clearly has the exact same role as he did last season as a backup to change style.

We already have 3 young fast forwards we don’t need more of the same. You conveniently ignored that.

You’re just making shit up as you go.

tomaldinho1

It's so strange to me how people invent this kind of headcanon about how this player must be an "Ed signing" or that player must have been an "Ole signing". Let alone somehow being so mad about it that he should walk. :rolleyes:

As though the value of a quality backup striker with great movement who provides something different to the usual first XI wouldn't be recognised by Ole Gunnar fecking Solskjaer.
My only point is there has been a crystal clear narrative about our new transfer strategy that I think people generally quite liked (younger players, good attitudes, hard workers, building for the future) and Cavani has been a free agent for months now; this isn't premeditated cover for Ighalo, it's just a last minute striker because we can't get anyone else.

I have no issue with Cavani, he was a great striker, I have an issue with the club being so fickle in it's messaging. One week we're not interested in Bale or even James Rodriguez because we don't look at that type of player and the next we're paying through the nose for Cavani. What's confusing is you have someone like Wilson who moved for 20m who would be a great backup striker, is 28 and likely similar price when factoring in agent fees and salary.

Deery

Dreary
Cavani is also direct and drives toward goal.

Giroud isn’t being squeezed out of anything. He was backup last season and is backup this season.

You’re obviously just chatting complete shit.

First you say only fast players can score in the PL - wrong, several slower players have scored a good amount. Which has you shifting goalposts to claim they’re slow but direct.

Then you’re for some inexplicable reason talking about Mbappe and Halaand as if they are in anyway relevant to signing a backup striker for free. They aren’t.

Now you’re saying Giroud is being squeezed out when he quite clearly has the exact same role as he did last season as a backup to change style.

We already have 3 young fast forwards we don’t need more of the same. You conveniently ignored that.

You’re just making shit up as you go.
How the hell am I making shit up, teams are playing a higher line with faster defenders and focused on a high press. Exactly what speed and legs are used to combat.
Why the hell you don’t think adding more pace is a good idea is beyond me, as I referenced Mbappe and Haaland because believe it or not we are also playing CL football this season.
Giroud is 34 and scored an amazing 8 goals.
I didn’t say they were slow I said they have legs to get around the pitch completely different.

SATA

I have a feeling he takes the 7 shirt. Big enough name in the football world. Ed will bank on that to sell more shirts commercial wise

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Even through the dark Moyes moments, I think this is the most disappointed I have ever been with the club.

All the talk about a cultural reset and buying the right type of player and we go and sign fecking Cavani. Ole should block the transfer to make a point or just walk.
Cultural reset is just a fake and lazy excuse. 130m on two average defenders, 20m on an championship winger .

tomaldinho1

Cultural reset is just a fake and lazy excuse. 130m on two average defenders, 20m on an championship winger .
AWB could be a good signing, James could be a good signing but the common theme is they were both 21 when they came here. They need hands on, intensive coaching both from a tactical perspective but also on an individual skill level - that simply doesn't seem to be happening. It's also a familiar story, we sign highly rated players who come here and then seem to stagnate/regress. Maguire was such a random signing, he was always solid for Leicester but that's about it, what's most baffling (regardless of whether he was amazing at Leicester or not) is Ole wants to try to play a higher defensive line but without a sweeper keeper (even though we have Hendo) and so he's a terrible match for our system.

To be honest it means so little without a proper team structure/coaching plan in place, even if you do buy the right players. What's damning for us is we have bought so many players who arrive with a lot of hope, start well and then regress, it can't just be bad luck and it has to be an issue with our setup/how we train/our culture...the fact you have Leeds coming up without buying superstars and just improving what they already have but play much better football, score more goals and it just makes a mockery of whatever it is we're trying to do.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Me too.

His only incentive is money. But I suppose the same could be said for most of Utd’s transfers.
Nonsense, he is committed to getting fit and regaining his form with Qatar 2022 in the horizon. So much so that he has demanded his own option to break away from the contract, i.e. wants to play, not to scratch his balls on the bench.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
AWB could be a good signing, James could be a good signing but the common theme is they were both 21 when they came here. They need hands on, intensive coaching both from a tactical perspective but also on an individual skill level - that simply doesn't seem to be happening. It's also a familiar story, we sign highly rated players who come here and then seem to stagnate/regress. Maguire was such a random signing, he was always solid for Leicester but that's about it, what's most baffling (regardless of whether he was amazing at Leicester or not) is Ole wants to try to play a higher defensive line but without a sweeper keeper (even though we have Hendo) and so he's a terrible match for our system.

To be honest it means so little without a proper team structure/coaching plan in place, even if you do buy the right players. What's damning for us is we have bought so many players who arrive with a lot of hope, start well and then regress, it can't just be bad luck and it has to be an issue with our setup/how we train/our culture...the fact you have Leeds coming up without buying superstars and just improving what they already have but play much better football, score more goals and it just makes a mockery of whatever it is we're trying to do.
That's exactly the problem, isn't it ? Our manager's ideas and his signings are way off. He doesn't have the capability to make it work either. Woodward isn't making it easy either. Lets say if one of them is good, we may be far better than where we are now.

Say if we have a capable coach , who can deliver results with the available resources, we would be doing better.

If we had a sugar daddy like City or PSG, Ole would be doing better.

Heck, even if we have a DoF like Ralph , we would be much better now.

antohan

I don't know if you have watched Cavani, but he isn't a Falcao type of striker, he's actually a lot more like Vardy, not as fast, but fast enough, and one of the most impressive forward I have watched in real life.
The thing with Cavani, is that most of his work goes unnoticed when you only watch him on TV. He constantly makes great runs, has an amazing workrate to press, compensate other players movements, and create space. the only aspect of his game that lets him down is his finishing when he has to take more than one touch.
There are obvious concerns about his age and the fact that he hasn't played in 8 months, but if you get the Cavani I have seen in 2017/2018, I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised. PSG fans loved him for a reason.
So true, instinctively he smashes them all in, make it a bunch of options and he can cock it up (typically builds up into a spree).

Good thing nobody gives you much time on the ball in the Prem.

antohan

Cavani squanders a lot of chances. He’s not the type of player that will score one in two. His biggest asset is movement and the ability to create space for himself.

He isn’t also the type of striker that would lead the line at least at PSG. Whilst Ibra was injured he was given the chance at a much more attacking and free flowing team and he disappointed when he was much closer to his prime.
Which usually results in more chances and therefore more chances missed which others wouldn't have even created in the first place Was quite typical of Dario Silva as well (had a brief stint at Portsmouth).

You should check his stats leading the line the season after Ibra left. Every bit as good.

Wilt

Nonsense, he is committed to getting fit and regaining his form with Qatar 2022 in the horizon. So much so that he has demanded his own option to break away from the contract, i.e. wants to play, not to scratch his balls on the bench.
Rubbish, hasn’t played since March, injury prone and will be 35 years old come Qatar. He's just a mercenary.

Goku23

Anyone know what time his medical is ? Also that of Telles ?

Rubbish, hasn’t played since March, injury prone and will be 35 years old come Qatar. He's just a mercenary.
how is he a mercenary? His first new club in 7 years? Should he not be trying to secure a contract?

Or are you just using that as a term you don’t understand?

DevilRed

Larsson had Giggs, Ronaldo, Scholes and Carrick playing behind him.

If you’re a classic goal poacher you need your team to actually create chances. Our best assister over the last 15 or so games has been the penalty spot.
We've got Sancho, Paul Pogba and Fred.

Dululu Dululu

:nervous:

DevilRed

I will genuinely laugh my arse off if Cavani manages to get even nearly the same amount of goals as world class super german striker werner.

Deery

Dreary
How many goals do you think Cavani will get?

I don’t think 12 are so is completely out of the question.

Would be a decent return too, maybe he’ll get more who knows

Status
Not open for further replies.