Edinson Cavani

Bole Top

always rated him. he's basically Welbeck who scores goals so I find it strange that so many of our supporters thought that Danny will make it here (including myself) yet they think Cavani is just an average player who scores because he plays for PSG, it's almost like a bad joke now.

tomaldinho1

His goalscoring record even from Napoli suggests he's more than just good.
No doubt he's a good striker but I wouldn't put him in the same bracket as Costa or Suarez for example. I would really like to see him in the EPL, same goes for someone like Dybala or Lacazette, because it would be great to see how they get on in a more challenging league.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No doubt he's a good striker but I wouldn't put him in the same bracket as Costa or Suarez for example. I would really like to see him in the EPL, same goes for someone like Dybala or Lacazette, because it would be great to see how they get on in a more challenging league.
Dunno why you'd consider the PL more challenging than serie A for strikers. Cavani is not in the same bracket as Suarez, that's obvious, but he's in the same bracket as Diego Costa/Aguero. Or at least he used to be. The finishing has all to do with a lack of confidence imho. At Napoli he was one of the best finishers in the world

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Dunno why you'd consider the PL more challenging than serie A for strikers. Cavani is not in the same bracket as Suarez, that's obvious, but he's in the same bracket as Diego Costa/Aguero. Or at least he used to be. The finishing has all to do with a lack of confidence imho. At Napoli he was one of the best finishers in the world
If you put Costa in Napoli he wouldn't do much better (or even meet) 30+ goals a season for 3 consecutive seasons. Cavani went out and got 38 in his final year with Napoli which I think broke Maradonna's record.

tomaldinho1

I guess it will always be a matter of opinion. If you look at the period Cavani was in Serie A it does seem it was an easier league for strikers but not much in it:

Premier League golden boot:
  • 2011: Tevez/Berbatov: 20
  • 2012: RVP: 30
  • 2013: RVP: 26
Serie A Capocannoniere:
  • 2011: Di Natale: 28
  • 2012: Zlatan: 28
  • 2013: Cavani: 29

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Serie A 2010/11 goals per game: 2.51
2011/12 2.56
2012/13 2.63

EPL 2010/11 2.8
2011/12 2.81
2012/13 2.8

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
1. Yeah. Surreal.
2. Any NT coach would be extremely happy to get him. Better than all your recent CF: eder, pauleta, nuno gomes...
Yes better, but Pauleta had an good carrer in France at Bordeaux and PSG, his main problem on the NT was that he never adapted to play without another forward next to him in the 4/3/3, it was easier to perform in France.

Nuno Gomes pre injuries before he went to Fiorentina was a very good player for the NT because he was inteligent in his movements off the ball.

Beside that when he started his carreer at a club named Boavista he made an very strong partnership with Jimmy Hasselbainh, before he went to Leeds. Anyway, the subject of the thread is Cavani, and comparing Cavani with Austin or Rodriguez is like comparing Pavarotti and Donald Trump.

Sometimes is difficult to stay quiet when I read stuff like this.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He would be a great fit in the current Utd team. He'll finish the chances we'll create for him whilst opening LOADS of space for the rest of the team. Love Ibra but sometimes, we just need a focal point rather than a play making no 9.
Not sure about that. There's a nice compilation of him missing chances just this season. He managed to score boatloads despite missing so much but that's because he's probably the best player in the world at making correctly timed runs into the box. Combine the strength of the league with his runs and 2-3 playmakers behind him and you'll see a lot of chances and goals.

His record is still not as good as Zlatan's tally last season and I doubt that soon to be 30 Cavani will age as well.

criticalanalysis

Not sure about that. There's a nice compilation of him missing chances just this season. He managed to score boatloads despite missing so much but that's because he's probably the best player in the world at making correctly timed runs into the box. Combine the strength of the league with his runs and 2-3 playmakers behind him and you'll see a lot of chances and goals.

His record is still not as good as Zlatan's tally last season and I doubt that soon to be 30 Cavani will age as well.
I see it as a 'Saha' thing after RVN. Stylitically we need a Cavani type as opposed to a everything goes through them type.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Yes better, but Pauleta had an good carrer in France at Bordeaux and PSG, his main problem on the NT was that he never adapted to play without another forward next to him in the 4/3/3, it was easier to perform in France.

Nuno Gomes pre injuries before he went to Fiorentina was a very good player for the NT because he was inteligent in his movements off the ball.

Beside that when he started his carreer at a club named Boavista he made an very strong partnership with Jimmy Hasselbainh, before he went to Leeds. Anyway, the subject of the thread is Cavani, and comparing Cavani with Austin or Rodriguez is like comparing Pavarotti and Donald Trump.

Sometimes is difficult to stay quiet when I read stuff like this.
All the players you mentioned were great.

I know extremely well Pauleta. One of the best scorers in the French leage during the 2000s. Pauleta was a collective player and a smart/efficient scorer. The main weakness of Pauleta was his limited physical impact IMO. Let's say players like Benzema, Crespo, Battistuta, Cavani would have been perfect for Cr7-Deco-Figo.

Pauleta at his prime was capable to scorer between 20 and 30 goals max per season and is very reliant on the quality of the team to create chances. Better ball control than Cavani but discrete player on the pitch on the whole.

Nuno Gomes was a classy striker who offered more mobility and presence.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
The guy has talent and work rate but is no where near the top strikers. He is not clinical and I feel his numbers are padded out by his time with PSG who walk the league and Napoli who played some good stuff, ala Liverpool with Sterling, Sturridge and Suárez but with Hamsik and Lacazette etc.

I personally wouldn't buy him mainly because he is 29 and will probably decline in the next 18-24 months.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think we can all agree he was a better striker at Napoli.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I am very impressed with Cavani's goalscoring records and hear praise about him all the itme but whenever I see him play, all I see is him missing open nets and 1-on-1s.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Cavani may have flaws and is not the best striker but he is clearly better than the likes of Diego Costa or other overrated strikers like Tevez.

I can't imagine him ever scoring as few as 2 in 15 in CL as the main striker for a side like Chelsea and he already has more goals in the current CONMEBOL qualifiers than Costa in his entire international career.

RedMaestro

Haha, well he had a lot of time to "settle in" and the defenders were too "slow". The GK seemed to have a clear view and still had no chance to save. But sure, still I nice shot. Like I said, I'm too critical. :)

Kamprad

A Cavani in hos prime was not even close to a 33-34 year old Zlatan. Says more about Zlatan than Cavani though. I like, besides his goalscoring, that he is also a teamplayer and works hard defensively.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Total nonsense for those who say that he woud not make it in the Premier League, maybe not the best finisher in the world, but he offers so much to the team and works so much, comparing him with Charlie Austin and Jay Rodriguez should win the Comedy Post of the year.

I am very curious about the next match between PSG and Barça, lets see if Emery can pull something against Luis Enrique.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Tearing Barcelona apart but he's apparently shit. :lol:

Redemption season begins starting from tonight.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Another CL goal against a top club but of course no one has ever seen him score.

Revan

Assumptionman
Exactly this.
It is a total exaggeration. The impression for that is that people watched him just when he played against some English club, and he has had a couple of awful performances in the last 2-3 years against Chelsea/City.

He scores a lot.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It is a total exaggeration. The impression for that is that people watched him just when he played against some English club, and he has had a couple of awful performances in the last 2-3 years against Chelsea/City.

He scores a lot.
And they totally forget he has actually scored against those teams too. Yet will come out with "Cavani scored?!? :houllier::eek:" or "Never seen Cavani score a goal ever" or some other bollocks.

Revan

Assumptionman
And they totally forget he has actually scored against those teams too. Yet will come out with "Cavani scored?!? :houllier::eek:" or "Never seen Cavani score a goal ever" or some other bollocks.
Indeed. He missed too many chances, but still scored. And now without Ibra as the focal point of the attack, he has scored more goals than any other player in Europe this season.

But yep, no-one has ever seen him scoring despite that he has one of the best goal per season average in Europe since he joined Napoli and has scored 25 or more goals per season in the last 7 seasons (has anyone bar Ronaldo and Messi done that?).

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Indeed. He missed too many chances, but still scored. And now without Ibra as the focal point of the attack, he has scored more goals than any other player in Europe this season.

But yep, no-one has ever seen him scoring despite that he has one of the best goal per season average in Europe since he joined Napoli and has scored 25 or more goals per season in the last 7 seasons (has anyone bar Ronaldo and Messi done that?).
He is also the top scorer in CONMEBOL qualifiers despite missing 1/3 of the games so far.

R300k

T A

What a goal, vision, movement, pace, decisiveness, shot power, accuracy, passionate celebration, every best qualities a striker could own all show in one goal

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I hope he finds the dry powder to win the CL for them.

Smashing guy, top professional, always ready to put the team needs above his ego. Has spent the last few years keeping his head down and playing second fiddle to Suarez/Ibra. He has earnt it really.