Edinson Cavani

TheReligion

Abusive
How on Earth does getting an overpriced, injury plagued player who is past his best AND who has never played in the Premier League, make any type of sense whatsoever?

Not to mention his transfer fee is absurd for someone his age AND his reported wages (demands) are around £350,000 a week. Wages that eclipse everyone else at the club so will undoubtedly piss other players off and that we can Ill afford whilst still paying obscene sums to Sanchez who is out on loan.

I get we are desperate but we are not that desperate. Haven't we learned anything in recent years? We cannot use a band aid to repair a broken leg. The money would definitely be better invested elsewhere.
Have to agree. Of course it would be great to have a player like Cavani around but we've done this in the past and are now trying a new approach. The money is just too much and I'm not sure he's a guaranteed impact like Zlatan. Could well be more like Falcao or Higuain.

If the money was less I'd give it a go but it's very short termist and we are trying to rebuild for the future.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Have to agree. Of course it would be great to have a player like Cavani around but we've done this in the past and are now trying a new approach. The money is just too much and I'm not sure he's a guaranteed impact like Zlatan. Could well be more like Falcao or Higuain.

If the money was less I'd give it a go but it's very short termist and we are trying to rebuild for the future.
I think Cavani would do exactly what Zlatan has just done at Milan, make a real impact on the squad. I would pay the money they want personally, but have no doubts he will end up an Atletico player by the end of the month.

Last edited:

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
He wants to go to Atletico Madrid not here.

Machine Elements

How on Earth does getting an overpriced, injury plagued player who is past his best AND who has never played in the Premier League, make any type of sense whatsoever?

Not to mention his transfer fee is absurd for someone his age AND his reported wages (demands) are around £350,000 a week. Wages that eclipse everyone else at the club so will undoubtedly piss other players off and that we can Ill afford whilst still paying obscene sums to Sanchez who is out on loan.

I get we are desperate but we are not that desperate. Haven't we learned anything in recent years? We cannot use a band aid to repair a broken leg. The money would definitely be better invested elsewhere.
We are the youngest team in the Premier League and in serious need for experienced top players. Cavani is exactly that and can give us a couple of seasons while Greenwood getting ready for the first team. Him not playing in the PL before is not a big deal imo.

We need ready made players who will make instant impact and that’s why I prefer Cavani to the young guys like Haaland. Reports say that PSG want 15m euros (£12.5) for him which I don’t think is too absurd for a player like him in this market. Wages maybe a hindrance I agree but if any player is unhappy about any other player’s wages then he can feck right off to another club with his childish behaviour. They’re all ridiculously overpaid anyway (we have the second highest wage bill in world football and nowhere near top 10-15 squad in terms of quality) and definitely can’t find another club to pay them what we pay now. They can’t moan about others wages when they failed to deliver for years. Our midtable quality players can’t determine what we’re allowed to pay to the players who are better than them. Like I said, they’re already ridiculously overpaid as it is and if they’re not happy with it, thay can feck off. There’s no indispensable player in this squad. Not even one.

Only question mark I have with Cavani is his injury record in the last 18 months. He could go the way Falcao did but I’d still take that risk.

Paul_Scholes18

If he goes to Atletico can we not loan Diego Costa until the end of the season? Is he fit?
That is just asking for problems in the dressing room. Would rather take Morata.
Cavani would be great though. Although not sure he can run and work as hard as he used to do.

Nakhon Phanom

Cavani.....way past his best....injury prone now and his wages would be exhorbitant.
We,ve been down this path before with little chance of success.
Next someone will be suggesting we swoop for Glenn Murray...he,s 36 and cant get into Brightons first team !

freeurmind

weak willed
Worth a punt surely even on a one year deal to provide backup. Don't think Ighalo is good enough and based on his game time neither does Ole.

croadyman

Worth a punt surely even on a one year deal to provide backup. Don't think Ighalo is good enough and based on his game time neither does Ole.
Think we may have considered taking a punt if we hadn't kept Ighalo and he wasn't looking for around £300k wages

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Most definately, especially if we are going for Telles. That's a lot of goal potential. He can even knock it down for runners or lay off for Greenwood and Bruno.

stu_1992

He looked so passed it last year in Ligue 1. Screams Falcao if we were to go for it. A player earning too much who's nowhere near his prime in a now more difficult league. Would be an awful move. When I saw PSG live, Icardi looked streets ahead of Cavani last season.

dinostar77

Yeh i think he still is. Class is permanent. Look how old Ibra was when he was with us. Cavani can play off the left as well. By all accounts he looks after himself as well.

He has loads of top level experience, we have a very young squad and he could be valuable as a role model/mentor for martial/rashford/greenwood.

I dont see what other options are out there that are as cheap. Ok his wages will be expensive but the club could figure that out. The caveat to all of this is that we sign a RW. In that case the need is lessened as Greenwood/Rashford could up upfront then if Martial is injured/rested.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He will probably end up in China if he wants big wages. Even then I'm unsure with this climate.

Suvvernmanc

If that £9m per season is true that is about £173k per week. The fact he is a free agent, he might actually be a great option for us.

In January we lose Ighalo so we will need someone in now really as midseason is difficult. Cavani will get himself a club this summer that is for sure. I would be happy with him for those wages.

Hanky panky

If that £9m per season is true that is about £173k per week. The fact he is a free agent, he might actually be a great option for us.
I agree with this. Couple of years contract with option to extend more one year. Not too risky.

In January we lose Ighalo so we will need someone in now really as midseason is difficult. Cavani will get himself a club this summer that is for sure. I would be happy with him for those wages.
It’s a potential option, if we could get him for one year. However, I doubt that would interest him. He will be looking for a 2-3 year contract, and then it doesn’t make sense.

TheMod

Bare in mind that Cavani would want the £9m / £173k per week after tax.

Man Utd would need to pay double this to cover the tax element so more likely to be circa £17m a year pre-tax we would have to pay.

£17m after tax would have a take home of £173k per week

https://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

RUCK4444

Tricky one. I would take him on loan because there is no doubt he’s a better player for rotation than Ighalo.

However it goes against the entire philosophy for Ole’s recruitment which is probably why we are not interested. Unless we could loan him.

croadyman

Tricky one. I would take him on loan because there is no doubt he’s a better player for rotation than Ighalo.

However it goes against the entire philosophy for Ole’s recruitment which is probably why we are not interested. Unless we could loan him.
Would he accept a loan though

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'd take him. Ighalo is not of the standard required.

Would be so good for the balance of the team having a dominant centre forward to call on.

Cloud7

On a short term deal, I would certainly take him to be our backup striker, once the wages aren't too extortionate and he's okay with being a backup striker. Will he agree to those two things though? Probably not.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'd take him. Ighalo is not of the standard required.

Would be so good for the balance of the team having a dominant centre forward to call on.
You'd be excused of wanting United to play dinosaur football now. ;)

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
You'd be excused of wanting United to play dinosaur football now. ;)
Is that the opposite to playing out from the back in slow motion and making sure not provide an option in the opponents box? :D