Edmond Tapsoba

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I watched a lot of Bundesliga when they came back last season and he stood out. Looked a very promising talent and looks like he’s kicked on this year.

Tallis

Seems like a smart kid - not wanting to link up with Lego Pep. Btw - is it me or do Arsenal sign a 20-22 year CB every year.

Very talented defender. Strong and powerful with brilliant quality on the ball. Fast an aggressive as well. Reminds me of prime Koulibaly. Not sure now much Bayer would want for him. But I’d say around £40-£50m

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Top quality, probably needs at least another years experience in the Bundesliga.

OleBoiii

I've always wanted ramen on tap. I guess soba will have to do.

Walters_19_MuFc

I've seen him once and was very impressed. Obviously, not enough but general consensus seems like he's fit the criteria to compliment Maguire/Lindelof.

red thru&thru

Seems decent on that video. However, he doesn't seem to have the pace I'd want him to have. Maybe he has but just doesn't need to show it as much in that video?!

Infestissumam

I like him a lot. Only Bundesliga CB * that's worth taking a look at and I'd love to have him at United. But while he has all the traits to become a top CB in the game, he is still a bit raw and will need some work to really take the next step. Still prone to a brainfart here and there.

* I also like Maxence Lacroix, but looks like he'll end up at Dortmund or Leipzig.

bucky

I think he is excellent. If we aren't worried about him mostly playing as a LCB for Leverkusen and have done our homework, and are confident he will be comfortable as the RCB, then he is probably one of the best CBs we could sign.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Seems decent on that video. However, he doesn't seem to have the pace I'd want him to have. Maybe he has but just doesn't need to show it as much in that video?!
Around 3:30
Plus there is no instance in the vid where he had to race back and use pace, which doesn’t indicate a lack of it, you just never see him much having to use it. What was apparent was great strength and good positional play.
That’s the problem in making instant judgments by YouTube.

You trust whoever is scouting him to have done it all season and for entire matches

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Around 3:30
Plus there is no instance in the vid where he had to race back and use pace, which doesn’t indicate a lack of it, you just never see him much having to use it. What was apparent was great strength and good positional play.
That’s the problem in making instant judgments by YouTube.

You trust whoever is scouting him to have done it all season and for entire matches
It also looks like he uses just enough pace to get the job done, no over commitment.

I'd also much rather a defender who anticipates danger rather than reacts to it, which, again judging only in the video, is the reason you don't see him stretch his legs.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
After seeing how ridiculously good he was statistically I did want to watch him play a bit, but unfortunately I only got around to watching one match. He was quite impressive in that match without being amazing. The thing I'm not sure about, even after watching that match and quite a few highlights, is how fast he is. He normally looks fairly average speed (by that I mean similar to Lindelof or slightly faster) but I think it's his languid style of running that makes him 'look' slower than he actually is, and every now and then he shows a turn of pace that is surprising.

His partner Tah was also quite good in the match I did watch.

Inigo Montoya

It also looks like he uses just enough pace to get the job done, no over commitment.

I'd also much rather a defender who anticipates danger rather than reacts to it, which, again judging only in the video, is the reason you don't see him stretch his legs.
Exactly, plus there is the thing with players like him/ Pogba/Fofana etc who are all 6’ 4” they tend to gallop along with those long strides. It never looks like they’re moving fast but try running alongside ...

FatTails

I like him a lot. Only Bundesliga CB * that's worth taking a look at and I'd love to have him at United. But while he has all the traits to become a top CB in the game, he is still a bit raw and will need some work to really take the next step. Still prone to a brainfart here and there.

* I also like Maxence Lacroix, but looks like he'll end up at Dortmund or Leipzig.
I watch quite a bit of BL and Lacroix had an incredible season. Surprised PL sides are not in for him.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He's outstanding. Tah at 20/21 was very good but Tapsoba is much better than he was. Didn't watchntoo much Leipzig the last seasons but from what I've seen I'd take him over Upamecano. Sometimes playing a little bit too relaxed and risky, I can see that him receiving much criticism for that at a bigger club. Still have very high expectatioms for his career. Would take a silly fee for us to consider selling though. Probably in the 70-80m € range I'd say. Rolfes already said he's unsellable this season and usually we don't claim something like this lightheartedly.

Inigo Montoya

He's outstanding. Tah at 20/21 was very good but Tapsoba is much better than he was. Didn't watchntoo much Leipzig the last seasons but from what I've seen I'd take him over Upamecano. Sometimes playing a little bit too relaxed and risky, I can see that him receiving much criticism for that at a bigger club. Still have very high expectatioms for his career. Would take a silly fee for us to consider selling though. Probably in the 70-80m € range I'd say. Rolfes already said he's unsellable this season and usually we don't claim something like this lightheartedly.
Bundesliga clubs tend to stick to those assertions don’t they?

jesperjaap

Imagine going to Arsenal, it would be utterly idiotic. Really promising talent.
Well it happened with Gabriel though we didnt seem to be doing little more than looking at him. Maybe similar with this guy, who to be honest had never heard of until this week.

Ekeke

Good on the ball and pretty good defending. Arsenal have some players to build on if they had got him he would have been another

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
A lot of times when I watch YouTube comps, I do like what I see but feel unsure as to whether or not they'd be the top quality kind of player that I realistically want us to sign.

This big bastard however, damn, he looks like the real deal in that comp :drool:

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I think he is excellent. If we aren't worried about him mostly playing as a LCB for Leverkusen and have done our homework, and are confident he will be comfortable as the RCB, then he is probably one of the best CBs we could sign.
I watched almost all of his games at Vitória de Guimarães, some of which were on the right, some of which were on the left. Can't say I noticed a difference in ability when he played on the right side. In fact, I quite liked his performance against Benfica playing as the RCB. In the 33rd minute he was in the right place at the right time to easily collect a through pass from Benfica. About 30 seconds later, he was called into action, this time as the last point of defence. He anticipates the pass before the attacker, and uses his back to put his body to shield the ball from the striker. In the same sequence he strides into midfield, and eventually loses possession with a pace without enough weight on it. 59th minute - Vincius tried to run through Tapsoba's blindside. Tapsoba matched his stride without diving in, forced the attacker wide, and with the attacker wide and cover in central areas, Tapsoba started to be aggressive and quickly dispossessed him. Completely dominated the attacker, and even did so without conceding a corner. His positioning in the 73rd made it look easy when he stopped a ball over the top. In the 93rd minute he won two headers in the space of 10 seconds by being at the right place at the right time. Those weren't the type of situations which would
contribute to an aerial duel percentage as it wasn't a tussle. The two heads were uncontested as he read the ball in both situations.

Imagine going to Arsenal, it would be utterly idiotic. Really promising talent.
Ignoring the dig at Arsenal, it doesn't surprise me that Arsenal would be interested. I felt Tapsoba put in a quality performance when Vitória de Guimarães faced Arsenal. The type which would put their scouts in notice. I remember making a note of it at the time as he was everywhere.
17th min - block from Tapsoba what would have been certain goal
24 Tapsoba chases Lacazette and wins free kick from defensive position
28 Tapsoba wins header
41 Good pass from Tapsoba
42 MAtches Lacazette for pace to give away corner
44 Tapsoba covers wide position to win the ball
47 dispossessed MArtinelli wide side of box
48 Heads it for corner when keeper was right behind him. Keeper sould have called it as Ceballos nearly scored immediately after.
68:31 fleet footed dribble, wrong pass execution in end (This might be of Marcus Edwards)
71 Tapsoba blocks cross. Lacazette was livid
71 block
72 Tight to Martenelli
80 Tackles Pepe then starts a counter attack
81 Tapsoba Gets a toe in on MArtinelli
83 Booked Tapsoba after first foul
85 Covers for his team
90th min dispossesses MArtinelli

Saying that though, I think he should opt for a move for Chelsea instead of Arsenal.

bucky

I watched almost all of his games at Vitória de Guimarães, some of which were on the right, some of which were on the left. Can't say I noticed a difference in ability when he played on the right side. In fact, I quite liked his performance against Benfica playing as the RCB. In the 33rd minute he was in the right place at the right time to easily collect a through pass from Benfica. About 30 seconds later, he was called into action, this time as the last point of defence. He anticipates the pass before the attacker, and uses his back to put his body to shield the ball from the striker. In the same sequence he strides into midfield, and eventually loses possession with a pace without enough weight on it. 59th minute - Vincius tried to run through Tapsoba's blindside. Tapsoba matched his stride without diving in, forced the attacker wide, and with the attacker wide and cover in central areas, Tapsoba started to be aggressive and quickly dispossessed him. Completely dominated the attacker, and even did so without conceding a corner. His positioning in the 73rd made it look easy when he stopped a ball over the top. In the 93rd minute he won two headers in the space of 10 seconds by being at the right place at the right time. Those weren't the type of situations which would
contribute to an aerial duel percentage as it wasn't a tussle. The two heads were uncontested as he read the ball in both situations.

Ignoring the dig at Arsenal, it doesn't surprise me that Arsenal would be interested. I felt Tapsoba put in a quality performance when Vitória de Guimarães faced Arsenal. The type which would put their scouts in notice. I remember making a note of it at the time as he was everywhere.
28 Tapsoba wins header
48 Heads it for corner when keeper was right behind him. Keeper sould have called it as Ceballos nearly scored immediately after.
68:31 fleet footed dribble, wrong pass execution in end (This might be of Marcus Edwards)
71 block
72 Tight to Martenelli
85 Covers for his team

Saying that though, I think he should opt for a move for Chelsea instead of Arsenal.
Full on scouting report for 2 games, appreciate it. I've only seen him for Leverkusen and he purely played as the LCB there, but looking at his heatmap for Vitoria, it looked like he played more on the right. If Ole isn't obsessed with having a left-footed CB at RCB, then I think this makes a lot of sense. He might have the best passing of any young CB out there and he's pro-active defender.

Bondi77

What happened to us being interested in Badashile?
It would be less time consuming listing the CBs we are not interested than the ones we are!
What a load of shite!

Red_toad

What happened to us being interested in Badashile?
It would be less time consuming listing the CBs we are not interested than the ones we are!
What a load of shite!
Thats not how transfer windows work, we get linked to an endless amount of players, but generally we have 3 or 4 genuine targets and all the rest is just click bait or agents leaking things to up the profile of their player wanting a new contract,

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

28 Tapsoba wins header
71 block
72 Tight to Martenelli
85 Covers for his team

Apparently tuchel big fan of him. But not sure how much Chelsea willing to pay for him.And how much Chelsea need to upgrade in other areas in tuchel's point of view.

Minimum two players of tuchel's choice and 1 or 2 board s choice. Will see?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Bundesliga clubs tend to stick to those assertions don’t they?
I believe it's still phrases. If somebody offers an absolutely ridiculous fee, we would give in. Maybe German clubs mean it a bit more serious than others, but I don't know. Don't really follow interviews or press conferences from clubs outside Germany so I have no comparison.

LuessiT

I believe it's still phrases. If somebody offers an absolutely ridiculous fee, we would give in. Maybe German clubs mean it a bit more serious than others, but I don't know. Don't really follow interviews or press conferences from clubs outside Germany so I have no comparison.
It's also Leverkusen is in a much better position than other clubs. Yes the pandemic hurt everyone, but Leverkusen did sell Havertz for big money and thus aren't required to sell even for big money. Tapsoba has 5 more years on his contract and Leverkusen has time in their favor. It would probably take close to 80m€ to change their mind.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
What if we say 'pretty please'?

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Not a chance for this summer. The exodus in our defence is enormous anyway and Tapsoba is hugely important to our squad next season as the focal point of our defence. He signed a new contract in January to 2026 and has only been here for one year and a half. I expect him to leave in 2022 for a huge amount of money but not right now.

Talent-wise, I rate him highly. His passing ability, positioning, calmness on the ball is outstanding already at such a young age. He kinda reminds me of Busquets sometimes in his movements and I think he could transition into a holding midfielder as time progresses. Has all the tools for it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Not a chance for this summer. The exodus in our defence is enormous anyway and Tapsoba is hugely important to our squad next season as the focal point of our defence. He signed a new contract in January to 2026 and has only been here for one year and a half. I expect him to leave in 2022 for a huge amount of money but not right now.

Talent-wise, I rate him highly. His passing ability, positioning, calmness on the ball is outstanding already at such a young age. He kinda reminds me of Busquets sometimes in his movements and I think he could transition into a holding midfielder as time progresses. Has all the tools for it.
What if we throw in Axel and get him to promise not to sing