Edouard Mendy | Chelsea player

ti vu

He's brilliant if you base your opinion on players on the BT Sport Chelsea fan club's views.

There was one earlier in the season where he fell back behind the keeper and cleared a shot off the line. Universal praise. Tweets with the video reaching 200k likes. Commentators gushing. The works. And I was just thinking to myself that even at schoolboy level, defenders will fall back onto the line when the keeper comes out and engages with an attacker high up. It's such standard defending. That's pretty much Thiago Silva in a nutshell. Does the basics perfectly well but is praised as if he'd performed a miracle.

Last week I saw a thread on reddit where Chelsea fans were going crazy about a tackle he made during the international break. I had to go check it out for myself. It was this:

He's got a helluva fan club, I'll give him that.
They just went through a period with David Luiz, Zouma at different time being their starter. Even Rudiger looked terribly. They conceded in load with ease under Lampard. Going from Lampard 's hopelessness to winning stuffs, and making several finals. Thiago Silva at the heart of their transformed defense of course feel like miracle. Understandable for how his cult is born.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Hasn't been the same since he returned from international duty and quite possibly cost them several games like the Madrid one.
He looks so infirm right now, almost as if every shot is going in, needs to relax a bit.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
His form has fallen off a cliff lately.
This. I’m at the point I don’t trust him to catch a simple bad corner. It’ll go through his hands, dribble behind him, and get tapped in.

He may need to be subbed just to work on his head. He was never the best raw talent goalie In the world. His presence and confidence were key to his game.