Edouard Mendy | Chelsea player

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
He most definitely has won us games. We might be excellent in defense but the back six all play their part, keeper included. We give a few chances away per match but Mendy bails us out a lot. Just look at the above stat, 96% save ratio from 26 shots. A lot of them are not easy saves either, the man phenomenal.

It’s close but I’d say he is a slightly better shot stopper than cech. However pre-injury cech is the better overall keeper. The only real weakness cech had was playing with his feet, which really isn’t a necessity. After his injury he had a blind spot in his eye which meant crosses from certain heights eluded him and he panicked/flapped a little but no big deal. Still great clean sheet record (pre Arsenal).

As for the Big nosed coont, no contest. Mendy is so much better.
Not for me. I think Cech trumped Mendy on all aspects of goalkeeping, think he was better distributing with his feet too. As you say, pre injury I still believe Cech was in the worlds top 2-3 keepers. I think big Pete still holds the Premier League all time clean sheet record, 202

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Not for me. I think Cech trumped Mendy on all aspects of goalkeeping, think he was better distributing with his feet too. As you say, pre injury I still believe Cech was in the worlds top 2-3 keepers. I think big Pete still holds the Premier League all time clean sheet record, 202
Don't think so - he'd generally go long regularly, as that was par for the course at the time. Once he went to Arsenal a lot of his limitations with the ball at his feet were exposed - granted he was getting on by then but that's not necessarily an aspect that should decline first with age.

Still would say he's comfortably the best of the 3 keepers in question, mind.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Fantastic center half performance today.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Who was the guy that branded him a no name keeper? :lol:

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Chelsea fans putting Mendy as a better GK... careful fellas, you are showing your age when you hopped on Chelsea bandwagon :lol:

Cech in his prime was a monster in goal, even post his head injury, he reached a very very high level. He played behind a stacked defence, but he was phenomenal at pretty much all aspects of goalkeeping. Reflexes, positioning, speed, commanding his area, he had it all. Modern day GKs are better with their feet, but that can't be levied as a criticism of yesteryear GKs.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea fans putting Mendy as a better GK... careful fellas, you are showing your age when you hopped on Chelsea bandwagon :lol:

Cech in his prime was a monster in goal, even post his head injury, he reached a very very high level. He played behind a stacked defence, but he was phenomenal at pretty much all aspects of goalkeeping. Reflexes, positioning, speed, commanding his area, he had it all. Modern day GKs are better with their feet, but that can't be levied as a criticism of yesteryear GKs.
Yeh, Cech is the better keeper and by some distance

Righteous Steps

Cach before his injury was probably the best keeper I’ve seen bar Schmeichel incredible ability.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Best keeper in the league atm above Alisson. Miles from being prime Cech though.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah come on, prime Cech is one of the best keepers in PL history. Mendy is one of the best in the world, but let's not do either of them a disservice by comparing them to each other.

Righteous Steps

Best keeper in the league atm above Alisson. Miles from being prime Cech though.
Alisson is above him for me the disparity between the twos distribution is a lot broader than the disparity between their shot stopping, and id take Ederson over him too.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Life comes at you fast.

I don't understand. These are just a collection of random goals Chelsea have conceded in the last 12 months with a couple unfortunate decisions sprinkled in.

KeanoMagicHat

Mendy didn’t have a good game today but still one of the best goalkeepers in the league this season. He saved them in Brentford and Villa games completely, for example.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Mendy didn’t have a good game today but still one of the best goalkeepers in the league this season. He saved them in Brentford and Villa games completely, for example.
Also more recently against Watford this past midweek - this latest match vs. West Ham was pretty unequivocally his worst performance for Chelsea so far, but there's nothing to suggest this is a part of a broader pattern.

PaulScholes99

I don't understand. These are just a collection of random goals Chelsea have conceded in the last 12 months with a couple unfortunate decisions sprinkled in.
I understand it. The video is only 1 minute and 14 seconds and still they can't fill it with only fails over the last 12 months. They need to take a lot of regular goals where he can't really do anything about it into the video. So this shows absolutely nothing, there is no goalkeeper without faults and obviously no goalkeeper who never conceds regular goals.

In the video these are the only errors that led to goals.
penalty against Calvert
penalty against Benrahma
Goal Masuaku

So three errors leading to a goal. For the rest sometimes he could have done better on a different day but no goalkeeper always handles every situation perfect.

paulscholes18

There is a handful of cock-ups in there but also a lot of regular goals he can do feck all about. Like at 1:00, how does he stop that? Become 14ft tall?
And 48 second, overhead kick top corner nobody is saving that.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The opinions on him are bound to shift. He’s done very well in very good conditions, once he’s exposed his obvious flaws will make the best keeper in the league discussion seem silly.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Also more recently against Watford this past midweek - this latest match vs. West Ham was pretty unequivocally his worst performance for Chelsea so far, but there's nothing to suggest this is a part of a broader pattern.
He's the new Keylor Navas in the sense that he will never truly get the credit he deserves. I've even seen Chelsea fans who think Saturday's performance means Kepa deserves another chance ffs....

Moby

Dick
There is a handful of cock-ups in there but also a lot of regular goals he can do feck all about. Like at 1:00, how does he stop that? Become 14ft tall?
Yeah. The dude clearly went around looking for enough errors to make a minute long video and just couldn't find many. Just posted it because it does also have the cock ups.

The one at the weekend was just brilliant.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He's the new Keylor Navas in the sense that he will never truly get the credit he deserves. I've even seen Chelsea fans who think Saturday's performance means Kepa deserves another chance ffs....
:lol: - that ship has long since sailed! Will never come to grips with some of the idiocy within our fanbase.

Is this criticism because of Masuaku's goal? I think it's harsh to blame him for a goal that not even the goalscorer meant to score. He's been really solid this year
I think it's fair to say that was Mendy's poorest game in a Chelsea shirt. The Masuaku goal notwithstanding, he should have done better with the (admittedly atrocious) backpass and probably on the second goal as well.

It's odd that so many have jumped at this opportunity to criticise him though - as you say he's been very good this season (as well as since he signed).

SambaBoy

Hasn't Tuchel criticised his form too?

I thought it was just a one of bad game and he's been generally excellent this season? But I read the post match interview where Tuchel mentioned he's been out of form for a few games

Idxomer

I too would like to see Kepa get another chance.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Every keeper makes mistakes, they're just magnified. Without trying to wum, DDG has made some of the most horrendous howlers in recent years, but is still a top GK. Alisson has too with wayward passes leading to goals, as has Ederson. Although admittedly, i only really rate Ederson with the ball at his feet. Don't think he is a top drawer 'keeper myself.

It just hapens, you cannot save everything

mu4c_20le

The difference between an elite goalkeeper and someone who is just very good, is in their mistakes.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think the pile on is in light of his balon d'or comments - he's still a top keeper, just think he looks a bit silly now and everyone on the internet loves a bit of schadenfreude.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I think he's extremely overrated by Chelsea fans. He's never particularly looked confident or comfortable when I've see him play, and always looks like he has a mistake in him.

Think eventually he'll get found out, sooner or later and move on to a club a level or two below Chelsea.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Don't get why the video is putting legitimate goals in with a video with Mendy's blunders. Some of the goals scored are good goals
It is a bit ridiculous. I mean someone has put the Porto overhead kick in that one. I mean who is expected to save that one.

Only real issue from that video seems to be the ball at his feet.

I think the pile on is in light of his balon d'or comments - he's still a top keeper, just think he looks a bit silly now and everyone on the internet loves a bit of schadenfreude.
Did he himself say he wasn't bothered and that he didn't think he should be included and it was Mane and some other Senegalese players going mad about his non-inclusion?

Not sure I read anything directly from him about deserving to be on the Bd'O list.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think he's extremely overrated by Chelsea fans. He's never particularly looked confident or comfortable when I've see him play, and always looks like he has a mistake in him.

Think eventually he'll get found out, sooner or later and move on to a club a level or two below Chelsea.
Ive seen almost every minute he's played for us and that couldn't be further from the truth.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It is a bit ridiculous. I mean someone has put the Porto overhead kick in that one. I mean who is expected to save that one.

Only real issue from that video seems to be the ball at his feet.

Did he himself say he wasn't bothered and that he didn't think he should be included and it was Mane and some other Senegalese players going mad about his non-inclusion?

Not sure I read anything directly from him about deserving to be on the Bd'O list.
Hmm, I'm unsure on what was actually said, but https://www.eurosport.co.uk/footbal...ntender-if-he-represen_sto8622977/story.shtml was more of a subtle implication than what his mates said. So maybe I'm being a touch harsh.

Chief123

As a utd fan, I completely disagree.

I was one of the ones mocking him and thought he was going to be a flop at first. If anything, I would say he's under rated by most non-Chelsea fans. He's been absolutely brilliant for them and a huge reason why they've kept so many clean sheets in recent months. Some incredible saves and very commanding presence.

I would take him at Utd any day. He definitely has potential to go on and be the best keeper or top 3 in the world at least at one point.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I like Mendy and think he’s a top keeper. When you go from Kepa to any goalkeeper you are definitely at risk of overrating the replacement if they can catch a ball or save a long shot, however Mendy has saved us on many occasions.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I like Mendy and think he’s a top keeper. When you go from Kepa to any goalkeeper you are definitely at risk of overrating the replacement if they can catch a ball or save a long shot, however Mendy has saved us on many occasions.
That was in the back of my mind for a few months but Kepa tax only goes so far (for example we thought Demba Ba was a breath of fresh air for a while because he wasn't Torres but eventually when that novelty worn off we realised he wasn't that good either).

Apart from penalties (a problem Tuchel nullifies by taking him off for shootouts anyway) I couldn't be happier with him.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
For some reason there were some people and part of media supporting him for Ballon d'Or. Every year there are some weird choices, but this one must be most random one yet.