Edouard Mendy | Chelsea player

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
For some reason there were some people and part of media supporting him for Ballon d'Or. Every year there are some weird choices, but this one must be most random one yet.
31 clean sheets in 50 games and most clean sheets in both the league and the Champions League I’m sure?

That’s enough to be a contender surely albeit never ever a likely winner.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
For some reason there were some people and part of media supporting him for Ballon d'Or. Every year there are some weird choices, but this one must be most random one yet.
He equalled the clean sheet and goal conceded record in the UCL which led to us winning the thing, it was hardly a token nomination.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
31 clean sheets in 50 games and most clean sheets in both the league and the Champions League I’m sure?

That’s enough to be a contender surely albeit never ever a likely winner.
He equalled the clean sheet and goal conceded record in the UCL which led to us winning the thing, it was hardly a token nomination.
I must have missed those Ballon d'Ors that Keylor Navas and Canizares won.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I must have missed those Ballon d'Ors that Keylor Navas and Canizares won.
Would it have been contested if Canizares was nominated? If I recall it was widely accepted that he was an absolutely sensational keeper.

Navas has the same problem Mendy does and more, even after everything he's achieved he's still considered by many some overrated chancer who was carried by his teammates.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Would it have been contested if Canizares was nominated? If I recall it was widely accepted that he was an absolutely sensational keeper.

Navas has the same problem Mendy does and more, even after everything he's achieved he's still considered by many some overrated chancer who was carried by his teammates.
...and still was never in contention for Ballon d'Or, and Mendy after one impressive season is?

Navas had many good seasons in his career, but he is not some out of this world keeper that the world hasn't seen like his fans would make you believe. So pretty much same as Mendy.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
...and still was never in contention for Ballon d'Or, and Mendy after one impressive season is?

Navas had many good seasons in his career, but he is not some out of this world keeper that the world hasn't seen like his fans would make you believe. So pretty much same as Mendy.
What a bizarre post.

Are you now claiming that the 50 players nominated on the Ballon d’Or list now have to be ‘some out of this world’ player that ‘the world hasn’t seen’ to be included?

If so, there would only be 2 or 3 nominees every year. What a weird comment.

criticalanalysis

Can someone give me some 'objective' criticisms about his game?

I haven't really seen enough of Mendy or even Allison but they both give me the same vibes of goalkeepers performing at a high standard who help their team (shot stopping, box control, sweeping) but don't strike me as proper technicians of the game and are helped out by the structure in front of them. For example, ike VDS/Cech, which I know is obviously a high and probably ridiculous comparison to make as they are potential GOATS. I think (?) their current level will peter out like Navas (who was outstanding at Madrid) and his replacement Courtois (who was very good at Chelsea), who are now both good but not great and seem to make fundamental mistakes.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
What a bizarre post.

Are you now claiming that the 50 players nominated on the Ballon d’Or list now have to be ‘some out of this world’ player that ‘the world hasn’t seen’ to be included?

If so, there would only be 2 or 3 nominees every year. What a weird comment.
Being Ballon d'Or favourite isn't the same like being in the top50 list for Ballon d'Or, stop twisting my words.

What a bizzare post indeed.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Being Ballon d'Or favourite isn't the same like being in the top50 list for Ballon d'Or, stop twisting my words.

But no one said he should be a Ballon d'Or favourite? Many have stated his omission from the shortlist is odd, especially considering that he had comfortably a better season than the likes of Donnarumma.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea

What another bizarre post. Who on earth called him a Ballon D’Or favourite? You are having an absolute shocker here.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The Ballon is nonsense.

But, yeah, sure - based on previous years he wouldn't have looked out of place in a 30 man shortlist.

I suppose they felt Chelsea had enough nominees as it was (they would've ended up with more than half their starting XI on the list).

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
The Ballon is nonsense.

But, yeah, sure - based on previous years he wouldn't have looked out of place in a 30 man shortlist.

I suppose they felt Chelsea had enough nominees as it was (they would've ended up with more than half their starting XI on the list).
Agree with all of that. Not sure where this narrative has come from where Chelsea fans have apparently been pushing for him to have been a finalist or anything; the minor kerfuffle was that he'd been left off the 30 man shortlist.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
What another bizarre post. Who on earth called him a Ballon D’Or favourite? You are having an absolute shocker here.
:lol:

It was literally me who said it's weird that some were pushing him for Ballon d'Or, and you guys quoting me. At least try to read the thread again before attacking people around.

I am done here, it was fun.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
But no one said he should be a Ballon d'Or favourite? Many have stated his omission from the shortlist is odd, especially considering that he had comfortably a better season than the likes of Donnarumma.
What :lol: how did he have a comfortably better season than the best player of the bloody euros :lol::lol::lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Because it was a bit ridiculous to put Donnarumma as the best player for the Euros anyways and his season for Milan was quite mediocre?
Uh? How was his season for milan mediocre? He was the best goalkeeper in serie A ffs. And ridiculous being the best player at the euros...eh. He was pretty damn fantastic at the euros. And won us 2 penalty shootouts to win the damn thing

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Uh? How was his season for milan mediocre? He was the best goalkeeper in serie A ffs. And ridiculous being the best player at the euros...eh. He was pretty damn fantastic at the euros. And won us 2 penalty shootouts to win the damn thing
Do you know what, I'll have to hold my hands up and concede I was wrong here - I could have sworn that his numbers were pretty run-of-the-mill but that's entirely incorrect.

And whilst I agree he was great at the Euros and the best keeper of the tournament by some distance, personally I thought that there were outfield players who made bigger impacts (e.g. Sterling, Chiellini, Verratti, Maguire, etc.).

I'm happy to concede the point that my post was needless criticism of Donnarumma - my apologies!

lawliet354

Because people don't watch Serie A and PL bias, I've seen people saying Mendy deserves the Yashin award because Donnarumma is PSG reserves goalkeeper :lol:

Seriously don't think Milan would have qualifed for CL if Donnarumma weren't saving their ass in lots of games

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Beats out Mane for the Senegalese POTY. Mane had won this award for 6 straight years.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
How many years did Cech win Czech player of the year, must have been a record

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
He’s probably been Chelsea’s best signing over the last few years but his performance level has definitely dropped in the last couple of weeks.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Can't really blame him for goals, but I really don't understand the fuss around him. He seems like your average keeper whenever I watch him.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Can't really blame him for goals, but I really don't understand the fuss around him. He seems like your average keeper whenever I watch him.
He's incredibly overrated. Much like Thiago Silva. Any time they do the basics it's suddenly deemed world class. It's very strange.

Red Star One

He was much more impressive last year, but same can be said about other good Premier League keepers like Martinez. I still think he’s class and one of the best in the world

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Can't really do blame for the goals.but I'm going to bump the thread and have a whinge anyway :lol:

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
He's incredibly overrated. Much like Thiago Silva. Any time they do the basics it's suddenly deemed world class. It's very strange.
thiago silva is brilliant though, as has mendy been overall

Abraxas

He's a decent keeper, he's done well for Chelsea. More reliable than Kepa but what on earth was he doing there?

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
thiago silva is brilliant though, as has mendy been overall
He's brilliant if you base your opinion on players on the BT Sport Chelsea fan club's views.

There was one earlier in the season where he fell back behind the keeper and cleared a shot off the line. Universal praise. Tweets with the video reaching 200k likes. Commentators gushing. The works. And I was just thinking to myself that even at schoolboy level, defenders will fall back onto the line when the keeper comes out and engages with an attacker high up. It's such standard defending. That's pretty much Thiago Silva in a nutshell. Does the basics perfectly well but is praised as if he'd performed a miracle.

Last week I saw a thread on reddit where Chelsea fans were going crazy about a tackle he made during the international break. I had to go check it out for myself. It was this:

He's got a helluva fan club, I'll give him that.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
He's brilliant if you base your opinion on players on the BT Sport Chelsea fan club's views.

There was one earlier in the season where he fell back behind the keeper and cleared a shot off the line. Universal praise. Tweets with the video reaching 200k likes. Commentators gushing. The works. And I was just thinking to myself that even at schoolboy level, defenders will fall back onto the line when the keeper comes out and engages with an attacker high up. It's such standard defending. That's pretty much Thiago Silva in a nutshell. Does the basics perfectly well but is praised as if he'd performed a miracle.

Last week I saw a thread on reddit where Chelsea fans were going crazy about a tackle he made during the international break. I had to go check it out for myself. It was this:

He's got a helluva fan club, I'll give him that.
"unreal" :lol: I actually think he's a great defender, especially considering his age, but I agree people go over the top