Eduardo Camavinga | Real Madrid watch

Real Name

When you sub in a guy than young to settle your midfield you know how good he is already.

kthanksbye

He's had an impact every time he's come on, even against Chelsea he was really good, absolutely love the fact that he's composed and his decision making is so mature, wasn't fazed by the big stage. It was his ball over the top to Benzema that created the first goal, and even for the pen, he carried the ball deep into the City half. Him and Pedri are going to be absolute superstars in the future. Makes me sad how there's very little chance that either of them play for us, ever.

Hope our scouts can start finding these kind of players or our academy produces them.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
At this point I'm not sure if I want him to start against Liverpool in the final. He has been doing great whenever he comes and changes completely the flow of the game. Maybe Ancelotti sees him as some sort of talisman and is superstitious but with the results we've had I can't complain.

:drool:
I think him coming into the game in the 60 something minute to run at Thiago/Fabinho/Henderson would be pretty deadly

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
At this point I'm not sure if I want him to start against Liverpool in the final. He has been doing great whenever he comes and changes completely the flow of the game. Maybe Ancelotti sees him as some sort of talisman and is superstitious but with the results we've had I can't complain.

:drool:
His limitations are that, well, he's still just 19. Prone to moments where he just switches off, and a bit overenthusiastic which makes him prone to picking up cards. So starting him is a bit of a risk. And on top of that....
I think him coming into the game in the 60 something minute to run at Thiago/Fabinho/Henderson would be pretty deadly
This. His dynamism against tiring legs is killing teams in this competition

Righteous Steps

I think after LW and RCB, #10 might be the 3rd least valuable position around. A midfield with Camavinga or Pedri as the 8/2nd most attacking mid in a trio is a much better foundation than a midfield with Bellingham as the #10/most attacking type to start with.

Might make a thread on the position thing, kinda interesting. In baseball for example, I think first baseman have less value when they're great because teams can easily find a good hitter who can handle the fielding demands. Similarly, way more teams have a RW problem (Leicester, Madrid and United come to mind) than an LW one because a fast right-footed winger is easier to find than a left-footed one and everyone uses inverted ones now.
Bellingham is an 8 similar to Pedri.

Jacob

Stop praising him! I feel bad for missing out on him.

NoPace

Bellingham is an 8 similar to Pedri.
I haven't seen the same defensive application or ability to control play. Seems like a 10 to me at this early stage of his career. It's like calling Lampard and Gerrard an 8. They played there, but their best managers used them as the most attacking member of a trio and that was their best spot.

Certainly for England, I think if he's starting in the World Cup it'll be in a trio with Rice holding, a #8 on the right (Phillips or Ward-Prowse or Henderson or even TAA I guess) and Bellingham on the left with more license to attack. Don't see Southgate trusting him in a midfield 2, even with 5 at the back behind him.

Righteous Steps

I haven't seen the same defensive application or ability to control play. Seems like a 10 to me at this early stage of his career. It's like calling Lampard and Gerrard an 8. They played there, but their best managers used them as the most attacking member of a trio and that was their best spot.

Certainly for England, I think if he's starting in the World Cup it'll be in a trio with Rice holding, a #8 on the right (Phillips or Ward-Prowse or Henderson or even TAA I guess) and Bellingham on the left with more license to attack. Don't see Southgate trusting him in a midfield 2, even with 5 at the back behind him.
Gerrard was actually a 4/8 at the same age and finished the team of the year and won pfa Young player of the year at a year older to Bellingham is now, he didn't become a 10 till later by that time he had won a Cl and has multiple PL and CL team of the year appearances.

Bellingham is an 8 the same way De Bruyne is, we haven't really seen the ability for Camavinga to dictate or control play either and while Bellingham hasn't shown the same defensive application he hasn't shown Bellinghams attacking capabilities so it balances out.

gregor

Tbh, Pedri - Camavinga - Bellingham would be one hell of a midfield.

MUFC OK

His limitations are that, well, he's still just 19. Prone to moments where he just switches off, and a bit overenthusiastic which makes him prone to picking up cards. So starting him is a bit of a risk. And on top of that....

This. His dynamism against tiring legs is killing teams in this competition
Liverpools legs don’t tire. Always have another gear they can find to win a game when needed.

MUFC OK

Imagine if he came to us in the summer. Would have fitted in perfectly. Such a shame.
There’s literally tchouameni to go for instead, probably more ready to start games as well. No chance we get him either though imo. He’ll join one of the two finalists.

Josh 76

I’ve noticed with Liverpool and Klopp is that they start slowly, then after half time he makes a few tactical changes and they blast the opponent.

The way to combat this is to do the same, even if the game is still in the balance. This is where Camavinga can be utilised.
He shouldn’t start, but come on early in second half.

NoPace

Gerrard was actually a 4/8 at the same age and finished the team of the year and won pfa Young player of the year at a year older to Bellingham is now, he didn't become a 10 till later by that time he had won a Cl and has multiple PL and CL team of the year appearances.

Bellingham is an 8 the same way De Bruyne is, we haven't really seen the ability for Camavinga to dictate or control play either and while Bellingham hasn't shown the same defensive application he hasn't shown Bellinghams attacking capabilities so it balances out.
De Bruyne is a 10, he's always the freest to attack in the City 3 and often presses up to make a 4-4-2 type setup. When City went with a double pivot recently it was Bernardo in a 3. They've never played Grealish and stopped playing Foden in a 3 partly because De Bruyne isn't an 8.

There aren't 2 8s on the pitch all of the time in a 4-3-3, unless you're playing the way Liverpool do where there 8s both defend and don't really ever play as a 10 but form triangles with the CBs.

Gerrard should have been a 10 (or again, the most attacking #8 in a pair ahead of a #6) the whole time. He might have won more.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I couldn't help but think about Pogba when watching Camavinga's highlights vs City. He showed to be exactly what we hoped Pogba would be but has ultimately failed at.

Seriously good player. All those that defend Pogba need to watch and see- he came onto the pitch and grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck, driving Madrid on. Ran his socks off too. I seriously hope we can get a few players with this drive and quality into our team.

justsomebloke

I couldn't help but think about Pogba when watching Camavinga's highlights vs City. He showed to be exactly what we hoped Pogba would be but has ultimately failed at.

Seriously good player. All those that defend Pogba need to watch and see- he came onto the pitch and grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck, driving Madrid on. Ran his socks off too. I seriously hope we can get a few players with this drive and quality into our team.
Those are two extremely different players though. Not really much comparison.

Orange Tree

If the media is to be believed, we did try to get him. Sadly, he chose Madrid.

And this summer we have Tchouameni to get. Hopefully we didn't miss.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
To an extent they are. Pogba doesn't have the pace of Camavinga to be as effective at some things, but is more powerful physically. But I think his determination and effort, coupled with his talent, is what we have never seen Pogba bring together.
One has been developed as a technical DM while the other has been developed as a number 10. It's a bit like comparing a player that has been developed as a attacking fullback and a player that has been developed as a winger.

TypeR

To be fair to Camavinga, he broke into the scene as an energetic DM, but I think he’s been showing that he’s more box to box than that.

Pogba, lest anybody forgets, was supposed to develop into a box to box player as well when he first broke through with us. Granted, he never flattered in this role and developed more into a progressive CM at Juventus, but to say that the expectations for both players’ developmental trajectories are vastly different seems selective.

Righteous Steps

One has been developed as a technical DM while the other has been developed as a number 10. It's a bit like comparing a player that has been developed as a attacking fullback and a player that has been developed as a winger.
Yep Pogba has more flair technical ability, what he lacks in relation to Camavinga is the work rate aggression and intensity to play as a box to box CM or DM, both are quite different players would be like comparing Davids to Seedorf/Sneijder different roles and qualities.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Not to do with the player but this thread shows the huge impatience of many modern football fans.

pocco

loco
Who is the DM? I would say neither personally. I think Camavinga will be more of an '8'....and I know you're not talking about Pogba being a DM?

Besides, it's not necessarily what Camavinga does defensively which shows up Pogba in this comparison.

JPRouve

Scout
Who is the DM? I would say neither personally. I think Camavinga will be more of an '8'....and I know you're not talking about Pogba being a DM?
Camavinga has been developed as a DM, him moving up is something that is happening now due to the fact that he has the technical and physical tools to be more than a DM. For Pogba it's the opposite he has been developed as an attacking minded player and asked to play deeper later in his development. Their development are opposite.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Not to do with the player but this thread shows the huge impatience of many modern football fans.
That's been normalized ever since we hit the internet age with an inundation of info falling upon us.
We live life on the fast mode now.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Go to any thread dedicated to a player, particularly a young player and you'll find a similar theme in those threads. It's just the nature of the beast I'm afraid.

pocco

loco
Camavinga has been developed as a DM, him moving up is something that is happening now due to the fact that he has the technical and physical tools to be more than a DM. For Pogba it's the opposite he has been developed as an attacking minded player and asked to play deeper later in his development. Their development are opposite.
I don't think their development matters in what I'm saying though, although I understand what you're saying. It's about attitude, application etc. I think they have a lot of the same skills but the way Camavinga plays you would think he were the more experienced player. He seems to have a better grasp than Pogba on when to play a riskier pass, when to carry the ball, slow the game down or speed it up. Pogba plays every game like he's stuck in 1st gear.

Stacks

This kid is unreal, an absolute monster of a talent.
When you sub in a guy than young to settle your midfield you know how good he is already.
He's had an impact every time he's come on, even against Chelsea he was really good, absolutely love the fact that he's composed and his decision making is so mature, wasn't fazed by the big stage. It was his ball over the top to Benzema that created the first goal, and even for the pen, he carried the ball deep into the City half. Him and Pedri are going to be absolute superstars in the future. Makes me sad how there's very little chance that either of them play for us, ever.

Hope our scouts can start finding these kind of players or our academy produces them.
How come he isn't a starter?

JPRouve

Scout
I don't think their development matters in what I'm saying though, although I understand what you're saying. It's about attitude, application etc. I think they have a lot of the same skills but the way Camavinga plays you would think he were the more experienced player. He seems to have a better grasp than Pogba on when to play a riskier pass, when to carry the ball, slow the game down or speed it up. Pogba plays every game like he's stuck in 1st gear.
It matters because the way Camavinga plays and his instincts come from repetition as it is for all athletes, those repetitions are the fruit of coaching during his formative years.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Go to any thread dedicated to a player, particularly a young player and you'll find a similar theme in those threads. It's just the nature of the beast I'm afraid.
That's been normalized ever since we hit the internet age with an inundation of info falling upon us.
We live life on the fast mode now.
Indeed.

People seem so impatient to prove a point that they seem to ignore/forget the notion of players development settling down in new environments. I can understand it better with mature players especially if they were purchased by big fees but I still don't find any sense with teenagers as it was the case, no matter how much we have fallen into the TikTok culture of having an ultra quick conclusion for pretty much everything.

JPRouve

Scout
Indeed.

People seem so impatient to prove a point that they seem to ignore/forget the notion of players development settling down in new environments. I can understand it better with mature players especially if they were purchased by big fees but I still don't find any sense with teenagers as it was the case, no matter how much we have fallen into the TikTok culture of having an ultra quick conclusion for pretty much everything.
In the case of Camavinga, I don't think people always keep in mind that he is very young. Watching him I can barely believe the fact that he is winning Real Madrid's heart at 19 years old. An other great thing about him is that he has already struggled in the recent past, so seeing him get back on track after his transfer to Madrid is quite impressive.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Because he's 19. Still a bit too rash and card-friendly. Also for some unfathomable reason Ancelotti appears incapable of breaking up the CKM...

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I think Ancelotti has done ok with him, I also wanted him to start more but he's still a teenager and is his first season in Real Madrid. It can hurt young players with little experience to throw them on the pitch with huge pressure and expectations on them. In Real Madrid he has a lot of seniors who have won everything and he has performed beyond expectations for someone his age.

Kostov

He came on instead of Modric the other night. Carlo likes to bring him on as a sub, and still has the very very capable trio of Casemiro, Kroos and Modric, but the kid will probably take Kroos or Modric's place next year.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
Because he's 19. Still a bit too rash and card-friendly. Also for some unfathomable reason Ancelotti appears incapable of breaking up the CKM...
There is still long way to go for Camavinga. No need to rush him.
I still do not trust him to start the big games. I would be nervous because he is so young. Sometime he takes a big risk with his tackles. He should have been sent off against Sevillia in the first half.

For Camavinga he is in the perfect position in his career. There is no one better then Modric, Kroos and Casemiro to learn from. He can learn the defensive stuff from Casemiro. The calmness and control from Kroos and X factor stuff from Modric.

Reactions: Fortitude

izec

You would have to be blind to not realise he was special. My dream signing last summer :(

He had a dip in form, which is normal for a young player that wanted out as well. He is showing his class, Real have another gem in midfield for a decade.