Eduardo Camavinga / signs for Real Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He's very good at tackling looking at his stats. I've checked the top 5 leagues in Europe and there's only one teenager who has managed over 75 attempted tackles as a CM or DM and that's Camavinga. There's only one 20 year old (Yacine Adli).

Out of the 158 players that qualify as CM or DM and completed over 75 attempted tackles, Camavinga has the 15th highest tackle success percentage (72%) and the 8th highest successful tackle per min ratio (24.9mins). Very impressive numbers for tackling.

Fred as an example has a tackle success percentage of 59% and a successful tackle every 29.2mins.

OmarUnited4ever

Does the article mention their criteria for calculating the point improvement comparison:

In American baseball, the player being analyzed in such ‘earns the team X more points/wins’ fashion gets compared to a sort of amorphous ‘league average’ player in his position (it can get more complicated from there).

Just wondering if it’s covered elsewhere in the piece.
They do mention how the analysis works to assign a rating to a player, but the article does not specify how they arrive at the % of points won

How does it work, though?

What underpins Real Analytics, and all the other companies in this space is an attempt to do what people used to say was impossible, as football is too fast and unstructured to break down into actions that can be measured, evaluated and forecast in the way hits, home runs and walks can in baseball.

Most of us have got our heads around expected goals and assists now but that is primary-school stuff compared to the PhD-level information McHale and Kharrat are providing.

Like everyone else in football, they buy in as much performance, physical and tracking data on each game as they can and then assign values to each action. Using artificial intelligence and proprietary algorithms, they then work out how much value a player is adding in terms of wins.

Having worked that out, they look at the player’s disciplinary and injury records to work out how often they are available. And they also evaluate a player’s potential to get better.

What you end up with is a comprehensive and dynamic rating for each player — 100 is the perfect score but anything above 90 is a superstar.

pascell

Is this bad. This is bad, isn’t it.
Click the tweet and translate it. Their source is The Telegraph and it says Real won't move for him this summer, the player will wait and Real will get him in 2022 when he's free. So Real theoretically could end up with Mbappe, Pogba and Camavinga for free in 2022, crazy.

hungrywing

Click the tweet and translate it. Their source is The Telegraph and it says Real won't move for him this summer, the player will wait and Real will get him in 2022 when he's free. So Real theoretically could end up with Mbappe, Pogba and Camavinga for free in 2022, crazy.
The ‘is this bad’ thing was tongue-in-cheek. And yes, Mbappe and Camavinga for free are indeed pretty tasty deals.

croadyman

Like Athletic were reporting yesterday I can see Utd playing the waiting game until late August unless PSG decide to come in for him which would obviously change our strategy but do think he is the top target as reckon have been priced out for Declan

Chairman Steve

How would he been referred to by our nickname loving manager if he came here? He can’t be Eddy as that’s already taken and Camavingy doesn’t quite roll of the tongue :p

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Didn’t think of that - but could they afford all of their wages?

Chairman Steve

I have this hilarious scenario in my head where ‘Cami’ or ‘Camo’ doesnt register in OGS’ head and therefore it’s Camavingy :lol:

”Nah I can’t buy him if I can’t give him a good nickname and Eddys already taken by Cavani, and everyone tries not to laugh when I say Chongy”

TsuWave

Is this bad. This is bad, isn’t it.
We can confirm that, as said by The Telegraph, Camavinga's wish is to wear Real Madrid's shirt. However, this will not happen this summer, the player seems willing to wait. Will be free in 2022.

Crustanoid

We can confirm that, as said by The Telegraph, Camavinga's wish is to wear Real Madrid's shirt. However, this will not happen this summer, the player seems willing to wait. Will be free in 2022.
Judas. How can he treat us like this after everything we’ve been through together.

Rennais

Supports
rennes
Hi, I would like to repeat to you that Camavinga will not leave free in 2022. Our president repeated it yesterday in a long interview, it is either a departure this summer or an extension :

"There remains the big Eduardo file, everything is still open, either for a possible departure, or to extend it. It is the big file in progress. He will not leave for nothing. We had a lot of exchanges, but nothing n 'is done one way or the other. "

We continue to chat with him and relations are still very good. Camavinga and his father are grateful to the Rennes stadium for their training and support with the professional team.
Paris seems to favor the Pogba track. So again if you do the right thing you will get it. The Spanish media are trying to make people believe that he only wants Spain. Here in Rennes we don't believe it for a single second, his style of play is made for England, he is still young and he will have time to see the Madrid sun one day.
In any case, he is in great shape during the first friendlies, involved and happy. On our side we hope for an extension, especially as our owner, F Pinault seems to decide to grant a big transfer budget to our coach. He is already 84 years old and after being reasonable for a long time, he seems to decide to build a big team. He has long supported the club without splurging, but this summer we have already spent 40M € and other important reinforcements are to be expected. 99% chance that Cama is still playing red this year ;)
I believe that Paris prefers a more experienced profile and Madrid is without financial means.

Last edited:
Reactions: mazhar13

luke511

Hi, I would like to repeat to you that Camavinga will not leave free in 2022. Our president repeated it yesterday in a long interview, it is either a departure this summer or an extension. We continue to chat with him and relations are still very good. Camavinga and his father are grateful to the Rennes stadium for their training and support with the professional team.
Paris seems to favor the Pogba track. So again if you do the right thing you will get it. The Spanish media are trying to make people believe that he only wants Spain. Here in Rennes we don't believe it for a single second, his style of play is made for England, he is still young and he will have time to see the Madrid sun one day.
In any case, he is in great shape during the first friendlies, involved and happy. On our side we hope for an extension, especially as our owner, F Pinault seems to decide to grant a big transfer budget to our coach. He is already 84 years old and after being reasonable for a long time, he seems to decide to build a big team. He has long supported the club without splurging, but this summer we have already spent 40M € and other important reinforcements are to be expected. 99% chance that Cama is still playing red this year ;)
I believe that Paris prefers a more experienced profile and Madrid is without financial means.
Lovely stuff

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Hi, I would like to repeat to you that Camavinga will not leave free in 2022. Our president repeated it yesterday in a long interview, it is either a departure this summer or an extension :

"There remains the big Eduardo file, everything is still open, either for a possible departure, or to extend it. It is the big file in progress. He will not leave for nothing. We had a lot of exchanges, but nothing n 'is done one way or the other. "

We continue to chat with him and relations are still very good. Camavinga and his father are grateful to the Rennes stadium for their training and support with the professional team.
Thanks for sharing!

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Why United should sign Camavinga - The Athletic

“We’ve run the numbers on Eduardo Camavinga and we were quite shocked, actually, because he makes a massive difference, which is rare for a player so young,” says Ian McHale, a professor of sports analytics at the University of Liverpool and Real Analytics’ co-founder.

If you add the 18-year-old Frenchman’s performance profile to United’s 2020-21 squad, send it to the Google Cloud Platform and run a million simulations of next season, Camavinga earns them almost six extra points on his own (from 65.8 to 71.7), improves the top-four finish forecast to nearly 70 per cent and lifts their title hopes to 6.4 per cent.

TMS

This is clearly based on the kind of profile Camavinga holds within the scouting analytics company database, so in theory any player with a similar profile would add the same value to our squad. The bonus with Camavinga is he still has so much room for development, but it'd be interesting to know if there are many players out there with similar data points to Camavinga that could improve us similarly.

Hester_manc

I would personally be hesitant to sign a player if he is already sure that he will move on to another club sometime in the future.
Of course, it's okay to leave United. But I would not like if a player has already decided to leave United before he has even played for us. I think we're too big a club for that.

RUCK4444

I would personally be hesitant to sign a player if he is already sure that he will move on to another club sometime in the future.
Of course, it's okay to leave United. But I would not like if a player has already decided to leave United before he has even played for us. I think we're too big a club for that.
Yeah agree tbh.

I also find it a tad pathetic that he’s chosen a single club he’s willing to want to play for.

Who’s to say he’s even going to be good/consistent enough to play at Madrid.

Dominos

We currently have Fred, Mctominay, Matic, Pogba, Bruno and DVB for 3 midfield slots. We already have a situation where Matic barely plays, and Donny can't get many games.

Where does Camavinga fit into all of this? We surely need to ship 1 out if he's brought in. Would he go straight into the team or is he going to be a bit-part young player to begin with.

GledTheRed

We currently have Fred, Mctominay, Matic, Pogba, Bruno and DVB for 3 midfield slots. We already have a situation where Matic barely plays, and Donny can't get many games.

Where does Camavinga fit into all of this? We surely need to ship 1 out if he's brought in. Would he go straight into the team or is he going to be a bit-part young player to begin with.
Don't worry he's not coming as he only wants to play for Madrid or he will retire next year.

hobbers

Pogba is leaving, Matic is finished at this level, DVB is probably out the door as soon as someone bids for him. McFred isn't good enough to start for a title challenging side.

We're not getting Camavinga anyway but we desperately need a midfielder, 2 when Pogba leaves.

Tarrou

I think he's another option for the two main midfield slots along with McT, and will eventually replace one in the starting eleven.. albeit with him being eased in carefully

Matic hardly plays anyway
Pogba doesn't play in the two so often and Donny never plays there

so it's not like we're brimming with options, but I agree at least one of the above should go.. probably Matic

SirAnderson

Pogba is leaving, Matic is finished at this level, DVB is probably out the door as soon as someone bids for him. McFred isn't good enough to start for a title challenging side.

We're not getting Camavinga anyway but we desperately need a midfielder, 2 when Pogba leaves.
I'd have your head up for WW lynch for all this pessimism!

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

There’s a very interesting article on the Athletic which explains how Real Analytics, probably the leading football analytic firm, predicts that Camavinga would be the single most influential signing in terms of point accumulation next season. For context, they predicted Leicester would win the title in 2016 and Chelsea in 2017, They use complex and advanced AI to model how his profile would affect our play, and they used it to model all the players we have been linked with. Camavinga comes out on top by far. Better even than Sancho.

I was very surprised by these findings but the firm has a lot of credibility. Signing all three of Varane, Sancho and Camavinga would be worth an extra 10pts they reckon. Signing no one and they had us gaining only 65pts next season.

Ace

Completely agree. I would’ve preferred a starting XI midfielder (or two) over Sancho or Varane.

Rojow

Madrid is trying to make his fanbase believe they will get free agents like Barcelona but with greater players. It's a fact they don't have money for big transfers but is naive to think they will get players like Mbappé or Camavinga as free agents.

Typical Real Madrid press.

gajender

There’s a very interesting article on the Athletic which explains how Real Analytics, probably the leading football analytic firm, predicts that Camavinga would be the single most influential signing in terms of point accumulation next season. For context, they predicted Leicester would win the title in 2016 and Chelsea in 2017, They use complex and advanced AI to model how his profile would affect our play, and they used it to model all the players we have been linked with. Camavinga comes out on top by far. Better even than Sancho.

I was very surprised by these findings but the firm has a lot of credibility. Signing all three of Varane, Sancho and Camavinga would be worth an extra 10pts they reckon. Signing no one and they had us gaining only 65pts next season.
That can't be true nobody predicted Leicester to win the title at start of the season if they did they would have found mention at that time.
Do you have any link confirming the same .

But I can get on board with the statstical model of how certain players and profiles can impact teams performances.

Bondi77

At what stage of the season did they predict Leicester would be Champions?

MDFC Manager

Spot on. There's a lot of glee about Pogba leaving (which is fine) but when that happens, we're essentially left with no midfielders of quality. We already need 1 midfielder, and like you said we need 2 when Pogba goes

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
That can't be true nobody predicted Leicester to win the title at start of the season if they did they would have found mention at that time.
Do you have any link confirming the same .

But I can get on board with the statstical model of how certain players and profiles can impact teams performances.
At what stage of the season did they predict Leicester would be Champions?
I don’t know at what stage of the season. Just that they were the first to predict it. More details in the Athletic article. An excerpt:

“The squad that finished second last season is projected to win eight fewer points in the next one, which gives them only a one in 80 chance of winning the Premier League title for the first time since 2013 and a likely finishing position of fourth, behind Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea.

Says who? Says Real Analytics, a team of computer science and mathematics professors who have become football’s favourite soothsayers.

They were probably the first forecasting firm to spot Leicester would be champions in 2016 and they backed that up by predicting Chelsea would win in 2017, by seven points, and that Arsenal would finish outside the top four for the first time in 20 years.”

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Same here. Dreaming of another club before joining us is a bit much. It's as if we're training him for his prime at Madrid. Hope we have other quality options too if that's his thought process.

Status
Not open for further replies.