Eduardo Camavinga / signs for Real Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

He's box-to-box, isn't he? He is really good at dribbling and scores quite a few goals. I'm not sure you'd want to play him in midfield with Pogba and Bruno, especially when he's about 18 and new to the league - he'd get swamped. For this season we need a really confident sitter, someone who could play next to Pogba in easier games and cover the whole of midfield.

I'd love to sign Camavinga, but I just think he is too similar to players we already have in the squad, and spending loads on him now would not be good for the balance of the squad. He might make a good replacement for/long term upgrade on McTominay, but we're not selling Scott and we have too many midfielders already.
Yeah need to let Matic go and join Jose so we can bring in a new CDM

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's box-to-box, isn't he? He is really good at dribbling and scores quite a few goals. I'm not sure you'd want to play him in midfield with Pogba and Bruno, especially when he's about 18 and new to the league - he'd get swamped. For this season we need a really confident sitter, someone who could play next to Pogba in easier games and cover the whole of midfield.

I'd love to sign Camavinga, but I just think he is too similar to players we already have in the squad, and spending loads on him now would not be good for the balance of the squad. He might make a good replacement for/long term upgrade on McTominay, but we're not selling Scott and we have too many midfielders already.
People need to start looking beyond the next 12 months when considering signings. Especially teenagers! What he does or doesn’t do next season isn’t really the point when buying an 18 year old. If the club feel he is the right player, they should move for him. And his potential is of course far higher than Scott and Fred, I doubt they will stop us signing him. A more likely reason would be because we fancied Garner instead.

I don’t see it a problem if we signed him and he wasn’t an immediate regular.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I just feel like Rice is the only name on the table for the club even though this guy should be there as well, so how many do you think we are going to bring in this summer just out of interest
I think we will make a few sensible signings. Camavinga entering the end of his contract is a clever signing if the money is there and we aren’t committed to rice. It’s obviously a bit of a risk short term but long term you cant really lose on a French international for 40ish million.

People need to start looking beyond the next 12 months when considering signings. Especially teenagers! What he does or doesn’t do next season isn’t really the point when buying an 18 year old. If the club feel he is the right player, they should move for him. And his potential is of course far higher than Scott and Fred, I doubt they will stop us signing him. A more likely reason would be because we fancied Garner instead.

I'd love it if that happened and he had a season bedding in. I just suspect that he'd cost a bomb and that would come out of funds for sancho or a holding mid, and we'd start the next season without having filled our priority positions. Fill those positions, then go for special talents like Camavinga.

We need to sell Matic, and if we go for Camavinga we should probably let go of someone else too. We currently have pogba, matic, McTominay, Fred and Donny - that's 5 internationals for 2 starting positions, and we all agree we need a CDM. 6 players for 2 positions and Camavinga never gets a game.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'd love it if that happened and he had a season bedding in. I just suspect that he'd cost a bomb and that would come out of funds for sancho or a holding mid, and we'd start the next season without having filled our priority positions. Fill those positions, then go for special talents like Camavinga.

We need to sell Matic, and if we go for Camavinga we should probably let go of someone else too. We currently have pogba, matic, McTominay, Fred and Donny - that's 5 internationals for 2 starting positions, and we all agree we need a CDM. 6 players for 2 positions and Camavinga never gets a game.
Well based on numbers, we shouldn’t be looking for a midfielder at all. After all, we have 6. The issue is that most of them are not that good.

Well based on numbers, we shouldn’t be looking for a midfielder at all. After all, we have 6. The issue is that most of them are not that good.
I think that's half the issue. The other is that they're not the right types of midfielders. We have 3 box to boxes - pogba, mctominay and donny - 1 holding mid, and Fred. And Matic is past it. We should replace Matic, and if we get Camavinga I think he'd need to be a replacement for one of the box to boxes who isn't pogba.

Devil may care

Ole is married to the 4-2-3-1, people fantasising about 4-3-3 with Rice/Pogba/Bruno are in for a disappointment imo. With that in mind I think Matic will be off in the summer and there's no future for Pogba playing in the double pivot, that basically leaves us with McFred, I know Garner has some potential but he's had one half season at Championship level, he needs another loan or 2. Rice and Camavinga would be a hell of a summer for us.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think that's half the issue. The other is that they're not the right types of midfielders. We have 3 box to boxes - pogba, mctominay and donny - 1 holding mid, and Fred. And Matic is past it. We should replace Matic, and if we get Camavinga I think he'd need to be a replacement for one of the box to boxes who isn't pogba.
Replacing a player that doesn’t feature is not a priority. If Matic left last summer, it would have made no difference.

Camavinga can replace any of the box-to-boxes that aren’t Pogba as you say, which is fine, because they aren’t particularly good.

I would like us to sign a DM for sure, but we play with two who are neither DMs not very good. In fact, they are amongst the very few players in our team who are not very good. Replacing one of them should in theory make us better.

I’d love a 24 year old Matic though if we can find one!

roseguy64

Would you really call Pogba a box to box?

Would you really call Pogba a box to box?
Well it's a bit of a weird one due to his freakish skill set. He can't tackle and he loses the ball too easily when pressed, but he makes lots of interceptions and wins headers from deep, and he's great at defending corners. And his long passing and ability to break through 3 players to start an attack are just unparalleled in the league, at least when he's on form. So he does loads of good things from deep. And recently he's been devastating when attacking the box.

I don't think you get the best out of him by telling him to stay in any one place. With a better DM maybe he could play as a kind of free midfielder, a box to box with less defensive responsibility.

AR87

I think Camavinga is a great talent, but he's not yet a great player or close to it for a team that is trying to bridge the gap to a machine-like team like City. If United were to go in with him it should be as a player who can come good in 2-3 years down the line, not immediately.

mav_9me

Rice and Camavinga would be a good combo. Not happening though. I'll shut off FIFA now.

Marcus

With Cavani signed, I can see United going all in for Sancho and try for Haaland next season when his buyout clause kicks in.

stu_1992

No he doesn't, unless you consider one goal this season and one last quite a few goals, there's no evidence he's a goalscoring midfielder at this level yet. I personally think he can play a playmaking role, in either moving with the ball or in a deeper position, having watched him play both. Yes it would be a bit of a risk in a two man midfield to begin with in the Premier League, but its something I'm sure he would take to.

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
I wouldn't wish him or any talented player on us under Arteta tbh. Would've been a perfect Wenger signing.

Judas

Open to offers
The idea of him choosing to go to Arsenal is so hilarious, why would he? They've literally only got the fact they're in London on their side now. If they get promoted might as well sign for Brentford.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
The idea of him choosing to go to Arsenal is so hilarious, why would he? They've literally only got the fact they're in London on their side now. If they get promoted might as well sign for Brentford.
I suppose, if Arsenal were really in for him, they would need to hope for a gap in the competition. Arsenal would need to hope other teams were pre occupied with other targets, that the post pandemic finances were making other teams hesitant etc.

There's also the fact that he apparently is very much valuing playing time & his development in any next move. There's a ready made role for him right there as Partey's partner. Plus he's only 18. There's an argument that says go down the Haaland route of an intermediate club before joining 1 of the elite, rather than going the Odegaard route of going for the top club straight away.

Anyway, it's probably a lot of nonsense, & we'll try & target a Bissouma or the like instead (& probably fail at that too).

OleGunnar20

Ayye I see what you're saying, agreed.

I'd prefer to see us play a three man midfield, with Pogba & Bruno as very adventurous 8/10's and a rock solid Makelele type anchor behind them at #6. Given how solid AWB & Shaw are i feel that'd work well against 90% of teams.

Ole however seems set on the 4231 with two hard working, defensively solid cm's who work box-to-box. Its that role which I think would suit Camavinga well next to a Fred/McTom type, as he is (as you say) shaping up to be a cracking box-to-box.

Whichever way we go with it I think our midfield - although decent - could easily be improved upon.

Players such as Camavinga / Tchouameni / Koopmeiners look like promising up and coming options from the little I've seen.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Definitely coming to Arsenal. Most youngsters would give their left hand to play for Arteta.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
There's also the fact that he apparently is very much valuing playing time & his development in any next move. There's a ready made role for him right there as Partey's partner. Plus he's only 18. There's an argument that says go down the Haaland route of an intermediate club before joining 1 of the elite, rather than going the Odegaard route of going for the top club straight away.
I almost wrote a post last night saying that the thought of him going to Arsenal wasn't as ridiculous as some are making out, for the reason you put here. He may very well want that extra step before going to one of the absolute top clubs. But then I realised that with you guys not in Europe he'd probably prefer to go to one of the German, Italian or Spanish clubs if he wanted to go that route. Plus the fact that Arsenal are struggling so much in general isn't really conducive to giving himself the best platform to take that step.

The one thing in your favour is that you would probably be willing to pay him higher wages than the other teams in that category.

RashyGiggsy

Camavinga, Sancho and Varane. These three and we will be challenging with City.
YEP! Camavinga can play at defensive midfield, and as he progresses become more of the box-to-box midfielder that we've lacked since Keane. I'm open to other centre backs, but Sancho and Camavinga this summer and Haaland next summer and we might be set. Then it is just a matter of providing more squad depth.

Champagne Football

YEP! Camavinga can play at defensive midfield, and as he progresses become more of the box-to-box midfielder that we've lacked since Keane. I'm open to other centre backs, but Sancho and Camavinga this summer and Haaland next summer and we might be set. Then it is just a matter of providing more squad depth.
Central defense and midfield will be priority.

Can see us spending 30 to 40 million on a new central defender.

Camavinga will be wanted by every club in Europe so he'll probably end up at PSG or Madrid or Bayern. But we have a small chance for sure as his agent is English.

Perhaps Saul Niguez is a more realistic aquizition and cheaper too. A central defender, and someone like Saul Niguez, and I don't think there will be a single penny left to spend on a right winger, meaning Mason will be starting there next season.

croadyman

Camavinga will be wanted by every club in Europe so he'll probably end up at PSG or Madrid or Bayern. But we have a small chance for sure as his agent is English.

Perhaps Saul Niguez is a more realistic aquizition and cheaper too. A central defender, and someone like Saul Niguez, and I don't think there will be a single penny left to spend on a right winger, meaning Mason will be starting there next season.
Simply have to prioritise CB & CDM now because tonight shows we badly need to upgrade in that area, yes I completely get that the RW has been neglected for way too long and owners who care abut their club would get all three but they don't, still feels very much like Utd are all in on Rice and any other player in that position isn't under consideration.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Simply have to prioritise CB & CDM now because tonight shows we badly need to upgrade in that area, yes I completely get that the RW has been neglected for way too long and owners who care abut their club would get all three but they don't, still feels very much like Utd are all in on Rice and any other player in that position isn't under consideration.
I don't think we can sign both Sancho and Rice in one window due to the cost. Would love to be proven wrong but I feel we'll sign Sancho and a CB and maybe a midfielder for a low fee from the continent.

tjb

Saul is having issues at Atletico, so it may be a good time to swoop in. He has the technical skills which is what we are lacking in that area mostly. Hopefully he pans out better than Partey at Arsenal

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
This thread is a bit laughable, have people actually seen him play?

He is arguably the most talented teenager in Europe at the moment. 18 and playing regularly for nearly two years now and already in the France squad. Different position of course but the likes of Fofana are struggling to get in the U21.

And people are saying he is similar to Fred and McTominay? He is a golden mile better than both of them at just 18, its like comparing Greenwood to Daniel James.

His timing of interceptions is also superb, he can most certainly play in a double pivot, he can defend, he can dictate play. He appears to have a superb attittude as well. Why are people talking of him as playing with Pogba in a double pivot when Pogba cant or only signing him as a replacement if Pogba goes when Pogbas only now performing out wide on the left....where Camavinga doesnt play.

ANd then "massivley over rated another Renato Sanches".....Sanches is still only 23...same age as James who is a development youg player apparently. He is also having a great season for Lille.

Of course like Sanches, Camavinga is very very young, there is no guarantee he can handle such a big move and different culture at such a young age, but christ, the ability he has, arguably the best youngster in Europe for £50m is a no brainer. Whether we are in for him and can get him is another matter as I expect just about every big side in Europe would liek to sign him this summer....and we are questioning the deal when our midfield obviously can be improved.....madness on here
Agreed with everything.

On the Sanches point, too many people still remember him as the kid who moved too soon to Bayern and went away. He has been nothing short of excellent this season at Lille. People who haven't watched him in a while really need to give him another look because not everybody develops in a linear fashion. He went through a bump but he's absolutely showing the talent he's been hyped for now.

croadyman

I don't think we can sign both Sancho and Rice in one window due to the cost. Would love to be proven wrong but I feel we'll sign Sancho and a CB and maybe a midfielder for a low fee from the continent.
Well if it's a top drawer CB then could live with that but fear we only spend on Jadon and NO MORE

Roboc7

We currently have two bang average players as our first choice midfield, it’s a golden opportunity for someone to come in and play regularly. We can’t afford to spend huge money so a younger player makes sense, knowing us though it’ll be trying to sign Rice for way less than West Ham will accept and then settle for no one.

Boavista

We currently have two bang average players as our first choice midfield, it’s a golden opportunity for someone to come in and play regularly. We can’t afford to spend huge money so a younger player makes sense, knowing us though it’ll be trying to sign Rice for way less than West Ham will accept and then settle for no one.
I doubt Camavinga will be a bargain.

jesperjaap

I do think people are a bit obsessed with his age and aligning that to Renato Sanches especially as a point of reference, especially as he was so poor a Swansea.

Different position. He has already played three times as many games for his club as Sanches did before moving to Munich. Sanches was also moving to a club with world class played already in his position, Camavinga wouldnt be.

He has played as many games for Rennes a year younger than Greenwood has for us, he has played more games than Greenwood for his country than Greenwood a year younger and has already played a few games in Europe.

Most importantly, like you say, he is a long term signing anyway...but this isnt a long term signing without experience like an Amad for example. This is a very yougn player, which of course can represent a risk.....not for me though, he can force his way into the side within little time for me as he is better already than what we have, is probably the best teenage midfielder in Europe if not the best teenager full stop. It is like someone saying we shouldnt sign Greenwood if we didnt have him as he is so young......when the option would be Dan James.

From what I have read about him, he seems to have a really strong character. I have no doubt he would be a huge success here if we were to sign him. For me £50m for Camavinga apart from him being foreign so not having played in our league is like some of thes huge sigings we have made on great young British players Keane, Rooney, Ferdinand, Robson....its a non brainer. Apart from Rooney he is younger than they were, but he has played pretty much as many games as most of them had I would have thought and in todays market £50m I think is actually a good price as crazy as that is to write

Status
Not open for further replies.