Eduardo Camavinga / signs for Real Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
In this I agree with @JPRouve.
I even think that some statements are just for show .
For example, Mbappe did an interview saying that his first idol was Zidane, who won a world cup when he was born. Even in 2006, when he was 7 years old, it seems unlikely to me.
Perhaps he respects him and they have told him that he is a great figure, and he can see that the french work in Madrid, but not 100% related to Zidane.
I see more feasible that some player from Lyon, like Cherki, is already "signed", by Benzema and his career

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For example, Mbappe did an interview saying that his first idol was Zidane, who won a world cup when he was born. Even in 2006, when he was 7 years old, it seems unlikely to me.
Perhaps he respects him and they have told him that he is a great figure, and he can see that the french work in Madrid, but not 100% related to Zidane.
I see more feasible that some player from Lyon, like Cherki, is already "signed", by Benzema and his career
Exactly, generally it's french journalists that fish for these answer and no one is going to tell them that they haven't really seen him but that Henry or Benzema are their idols. For a lot of french kids, the french idol is Benzema but with the gloabalization of football Ronaldo and Messi stole every kids' hearts. So it's totally possible that Camavinga is a fan of Benzema and Ronaldo which would make him lean toward Real Madrid but Zidane is too old for that.

SAFMUTD

we need to get back to the top to compete for this top youngsters, being honest if you are Camavinga and have the option to join any club in the world why would you choose ManUtd?

Unless he’s a fan, which I seriously doubt because of his age all he’s seen from us have been shitty teams, or we overpay him which is never a good idea specially for a youngster, he’ll end up in PSG, Madrid or Barca.

Cliche Guevara

we need to get back to the top to compete for this top youngsters, being honest if you are Camavinga and have the option to join any club in the world why would you choose ManUtd?

Unless he’s a fan, which I seriously doubt because of his age all he’s seen from us have been shitty teams, or we overpay him which is never a good idea specially for a youngster, he’ll end up in PSG, Madrid or Barca.
Here we go again.

Why wouldn’t he choose United? He has the best chance of game time for a start. He might also want to see how Covid hits some of these clubs and what financial position they find themselves in.

I really wish all this why would he sign for United stuff would feck off.

SAFMUTD

Here we go again.

Why wouldn’t he choose United? He has the best chance of game time for a start. He might also want to see how Covid hits some of these clubs and what financial position they find themselves in.

Any club wanting him would have to provide game time, thats a given.
Regarding the financial position that would be if the club can afford him rather than him choosing which is my main point.

The ugly truth is we are not amongst the most attractive clubs currently and we have to accept that.

Coops73

Here we go again.

Same, have we suddenly become some shitty tin pot little club that will never challenge or offer the chance to challenge while also being able to pay competitively? Really weird comments.

Brightonian

Regarding the financial position that would be if the club can afford him rather than him choosing which is my main point.

The ugly truth is we are not amongst the most attractive clubs currently and we have to accept that.
If you mean 'some' game time, then yes, of course. But the post you're responding to is clearly comparing the amount of game time we could offer him and the amount Madrid could offer him. If you think Real Madrid are going to sign a 17-year-old with the idea that he's definitely going to get loads of game time straight away, you're laughing. They have one of the best, most reliable DMs in the world in Casemiro, and the likes of Kroos and Modric alongside him. He would obviously get more minutes competing with Nemanja Matic.

SAFMUTD

If you mean 'some' game time, then yes, of course. But the post you're responding to is clearly comparing the amount of game time we could offer him and the amount Madrid could offer him. If you think Real Madrid are going to sign a 17-year-old with the idea that he's definitely going to get loads of game time straight away, you're laughing. They have one of the best, most reliable DMs in the world in Casemiro, and the likes of Kroos and Modric alongside him. He would obviously get more minutes competing with Nemanja Matic.
Modric is 35 and going to be out soon, he would have to compete with Casemiro and Valverde.

Here he would have to compete with Matic and Fred, of course the quality between us and them is worlds apart, and is easier for him to eventually start here but I dont think he would come here and be an instant starter nor we have Dortmunds recognition of developing young players to be that attractive.

Im not being pessimistic but if he chooses a club because of the “big club” status there are currently big clubs in way better position than us, and if he goes for the “development path” there are also better clubs than us to choose from.

The only way I think we can convince him is offering a load of money which like I’ve said before I thinks its a mistake or convince him he would be a central figure of our project which I think is destinied for players in other positions such as Sancho.

DSG

Wow that’s pretty close to a left footed Paul Pogba video highlights. Incredible he’s doing such things at 17 against a team of men
First thing that ran through my mind as well. Damn, he looks like Pogba! Big, rangy with elite on ball skill. Hopefully a bit more defensive minded.

Cliche Guevara

Here he would have to compete with Matic and Fred, of course the quality between us and them is worlds apart, and is easier for him to eventually start here but I dont think he would come here and be an instant starter nor we have Dortmunds recognition of developing young players to be competitive
Christ it gets worse. The Dortmund card being played now. We are a world leader in developing young players. I don’t know why so many fans are so quick to dismiss everything we do.

SAFMUTD

Christ it gets worse. The Dortmund card being played now. We are a world leader in developing young players. I don’t know why so many fans are so quick to dismiss everything we do.
We used to be, but can you name some youngster we developed recently? I mean bought and developed not from our academy.

Depay, Bailly, Dalot, theyve all stagnated if not regresed while being here, while Martial eventhough has improved is far from what was expected from him when labeled as a wonderkid in Monaco.

The player wont be thinking hey they developed players 10 years ago, theyre a good option. They think about the recent results.

We are not a stepping club, neither I think we should be, Dortmund plays mostly youngsters at all levels with the intention of developing and selling them.
Of course no player wanting to join Dortmund is aiming at staying there, thats why I think they are seen as a better option for players they want to develop.

Last edited:

Cliche Guevara

We used to be, but can you name some youngster we developed recently?
We are not a stepping club, neither I think we should be, Dortmund plays mostly youngsters at all levels with the intention of developing and selling them.
Of course no player wanting to join Dortmund is aiming at staying there, thats why I think they are seen as a better option for players they want to develop.
Marcus Rashford
Brandon Williams
Daniel James
Anthony Martial
Scott McTominay
Aaron Wan-Bissaka
Mason Greenwood
Victor Lindelof
Andreas Pereira
Dean Henderson

are all examples of one description of another, but because they are at our club they’ll be overlooked.

We aren’t a stepping stone club which is why players who make hundreds of appearances with us don’t seem to count for some reason, but they exist.

SAFMUTD

Marcus Rashford
Brandon Williams
Daniel James
Anthony Martial
Scott McTominay
Aaron Wan-Bissaka
Victor Lindelof
Dean Henderson

are all examples of one description of another, but because they are at our club they’ll be overlooked.

We aren’t a stepping stone club which is why players who make hundreds of appearances with us don’t seem to count for some reason, but they exist.
You repplied before I ended up modifying my post, Im talking about bought players not academy ones.

Martial‘s case is really debatable I dontthin he’s even close to what was expected from him, the fact that he isnt even considered for the franch national team is a clear example.

Daniel James and AWB are still up for debate, they havent even finished their first season, way too soon to label them as success or failures. With AWB he was already class so in order to be a success he must improve not just stay at the same level he was at Palace.

Lindelof is also debatable, I dont think top teams see him as a top defender. While he’s not a failure I dont think you can use him as an example of how good we are at developing players.

Champagne Football

Here we go again.

We have a transfer policy of not entering bidding wars for any player, and Canavinga will have a bidding war for his services when the window opens. Madrid, Barca, Bayern, PSG, Liverpool, Juventus, Arsenal, Inter will all be interested in making a bid for him.

For that reason I can not see us signing him, or even bidding for him.

Cliche Guevara

You repplied before I ended up modifying my post, Im talking about bought players not academy ones.

Martial‘s case is really debatable I dontthin he’s even close to what was expected from him, the fact that he isnt even considered for the franch national team is a clear example.

Daniel James and AWB are still up for debate, they havent even finished their first season, way too soon to label them as success or failures. With AWB he was already class so in order to be a success he must improve not just stay at the same level he was at Palace.

Lindelof is also debatable, I dont think top teams see him as a top defender. While he’s not a failure I dont think you can use him as an example of how good we are at developing players.
We give players the opportunities. We give them the games.

The biggest factor in a player’s development is the ability of the player. If a youngster looks at United as a potential destination they see one of the biggest, richest, clubs in the world where they’ll have the best facilities and every chance to succeed. They know they’ll be very well looked after. They’ll see Andreas Pereira has had 43 games and think ‘yeah I will get a chance there’.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He's the Sancho of his position - the creme de la creme and most coveted. I've dismissed our chances and even struck us off the list for him because of the connection I thought there was between he and Real Madrid, vice-versa and whatnot. The French on here have told me different, so I don't know what to think anymore.

This is the kid who has the potential to be the dominant DM of the next decade, injuries and mentality permitting. I should think he would be the #1 target for all big clubs in need of this sort of midfielder and he'll absolutely have his pick when the time comes. Anywhere he ends up will consider attaining him a major coup and it would be a real feather in the cap for us if that were us.

If it's not to be us, I don't want to see him in the PL.

Sancho and Camavinga are in the tier of signings where we hoped for Vidal (remember that thread? Sigh) and would move us one step further to having a team that is considered in the bracket of world class with no excuses to not be challenging for titles and the biggest trophies.

Won't extend to my true thoughts about his potential, but he's truly one of the gems that have the ability to go all the way to the top.

SAFMUTD

We give players the opportunities. We give them the games.

The biggest factor in a player’s development is the ability of the player. If a youngster looks at United as a potential destination they see one of the biggest, richest, clubs in the world where they’ll have the best facilities and every chance to succeed. They know they’ll be very well looked after. They’ll see Andreas Pereira has had 43 games and think ‘yeah I will get a chance there’.
I completely agree, Im not saying we are not an attractive club, all im saying is there are other clubs that are more attractive than us.

Specially Barca, Madrid, Juve and Dortmund.
Lately when competing for a player against those teams we have lost, thats all Im saying.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Lyon had a dream team XI video with Cherki, he trolled Messi in it saying he didn't like him but when it came to Zidane it was "Zidane It's Zidane, I no words can explain it"
So I'd disagree.
As for Mbappe, I'm around the same age as him and I definitely grew up idolizing Zidane even though most of my exposure to him was for the NT and not for Real Madrid.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Lyon had a dream team XI video with Cherki, he trolled Messi in it saying he didn't like him but when it came to Zidane it was "Zidane It's Zidane, I no words can explain it"
So I'd disagree.
As for Mbappe, I'm around the same age as him and I definitely grew up idolizing Zidane even though most of my exposure to him was for the NT and not for Real Madrid.

At 3:40, 13 years old Cherki says that his favorite players are Neymar, Ronaldo and Bouffal. That's a normal kid, his favorite players are players that he actually saw. I get what you are saying because I have told people that I idolized Cruijff but truth be told while I have a lot of appreciation for him, Henry, Giggs and Trezeguet were the kind of player I would pretend to be in the school yard, not Cruijff.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Well, in Cherki's case it's not so crazy to understand he'd have an admiration for Zidane despite the gap in years and probably not having consciously seen him much at all while he was playing because of their similar backgrounds. However, I think there are so many more considerations that players have to take in now when making a move, and I think playing for an idol is fairly low on the list of priorities. I think Zidane winning the CL 3 years in a row is far more enticing for young players by now looking to move to a team than what he did as a player where they were too young to remember.

Madrid is a bigger draw than Zidane, so is Barcelona a bigger draw than Messi, who can actually be a potential negative because so much of the club revolves around him, which is why Neymar left and Griezmann's come under fire playing out of position. But those two teams have dominated a generation that will grow up wanting to put on that shirt themselves. Those two clubs just have a handicap in their favor with every young players out there, maybe English/German youth players being the exception. Howwever, I think Camavinga would be much better off developing a bit more before already taking the leap to a Madrid where the competition will be stiff, the adaptation could be very difficult, and the playing time and public might not be on your side.

I think United can present a solid case for being one of the more attractive destination for this point in his career, you have to sell the idea of reviving this sleeping giant because it wasn't that long that United was one of the best clubs in the world. Ole's got a proven track of trusting young players, he's not a great tactician by any means but he's managed to get the most out of young players than anybody that's come through the club since SAF, and I think that will continue in that trend. I think playing for United, even if it's just for one contract, and then if he's not convinced to stay here, and he's kept his trajectory as a player developing, he can move to Real Madrid/Barcelona as a truly established player that's coming in to be the starter.

NoPace

Here we go again.

Casemiro is 28, Kroos 30. And Valverde has established himself as a starter as well and it looks like Odegaard will come back and play after the great season he just had. Let's say James Rodriguez goes and then one of Isco or Ceballos stays. So Camavinga would be fighting with Isco and Odegaard for minutes in the 2nd choice midfield and presumably would be expected to genuinely challenge Casemiro or Kroos in a couple years.

I think if you're Camavinga you want to go to a quality side somewhere for 2-3 seasons, play all the time and get your feet wet in the CL and make your big move to a Madrid or Barcelona at 19 or 20.

But I don't think that would necessarily be United. I'd say a club willing to do a reasonable (20-30M over the fee they pay Rennes) release clause makes more sense. Maybe a Lyon, Lazio (Leiva is 33 and they're gonna be in the CL presumably), or Sevilla, since you know they won't bench a guy they paid 40M for.

He could also just sign for Madrid and go back to Rennes on loan for a year if they make the CL.

Devil may care

He looks like a fantastic prospect who would suit the PL as he develops, a buy and loan back move wouldn't be a bad idea for us IMO.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

He looks like a fantastic prospect who would suit the PL as he develops, a buy and loan back move wouldn't be a bad idea for us IMO.
This simply wouldn't work, why would Rennes sell a player for a loanback when they can sell him 1 or 2 years later for an even better price?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
This simply wouldn't work, why would Rennes sell a player for a loanback when they can sell him 1 or 2 years later for an even better price?
I guess the risk that his contract expires in June 2022 so in theory he could sign for a club in the UK or spain in January 22 and they would only be due compensation to be settled at tribunal?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/eduardo-camavinga/profil/spieler/640428

Would he be worth the same in a year if clubs knew they could get him for virtually nothing in the jan window - probably not

so if he does not sign a new contract its either now or jan 21 for selling him and far more deals are done in the summer

If he does sign a new contract now Id guess his agent would want a release clause so he could force a move to a bigger club? - so there is some logic to sell now if they get a good offer

Last edited:

Sea-Cow

We have a transfer policy of not entering bidding wars for any player, and Canavinga will have a bidding war for his services when the window opens. Madrid, Barca, Bayern, PSG, Liverpool, Juventus, Arsenal, Inter will all be interested in making a bid for him.

For that reason I can not see us signing him, or even bidding for him.
For some reason I am unable to Bold parts of your comment, but where do you get the "policy of not entering bidding wars"?

I imagine we placed competitive bids for Haaland? But we just lost and the player decided to go to Dortmund. And aren't we rumoured to be in a serious war right now, for Bellingham?

I think you could call any negotiation, for every player, a "bidding war." When we put in a bid for Dan James we were battling against offering him enough to get him to sign for us and leave Swansea, versus paying him too extravagant an amount where we would overpay.

Sea-Cow

We might not have the pulling power in name-only as a tiny number of other clubs (Barca, Madrid, possibly Bayern, possibly Juve) but at the end of the day these players have agents and business managers so if we pay off the right people and give enormous agent fees, plus extravagant weekly wages, we will always be able to financially force our way into the discussion.

It might not always work of course. But why would a player choose us when he has the world at his feet? Because of money.

Champagne Football

For some reason I am unable to Bold parts of your comment, but where do you get the "policy of not entering bidding wars"?

I imagine we placed competitive bids for Haaland? But we just lost and the player decided to go to Dortmund. And aren't we rumoured to be in a serious war right now, for Bellingham?

I think you could call any negotiation, for every player, a "bidding war." When we put in a bid for Dan James we were battling against offering him enough to get him to sign for us and leave Swansea, versus paying him too extravagant an amount where we would overpay.
It was in a James Ducker article last summer, that from now on we will only go after players we have a free run at, instead of entering drawn out bidding wars with other clubs. I can't be arsed trying to find the very article.

Sea-Cow

It was in a James Ducker article last summer, that from now on we will only go after players we have a free run at, instead of entering drawn out bidding wars with other clubs. I can't be arsed trying to find the very article.
Fair enough mate. I thought you were just making it up to suit your argument, and I was wrong!

SAFMUTD

We might not have the pulling power in name-only as a tiny number of other clubs (Barca, Madrid, possibly Bayern, possibly Juve) but at the end of the day these players have agents and business managers so if we pay off the right people and give enormous agent fees, plus extravagant weekly wages, we will always be able to financially force our way into the discussion.

It might not always work of course. But why would a player choose us when he has the world at his feet? Because of money.
I agree, one reason we can attract players is paying more than anybody else, its simple, at the end of the day cash is king.
But its a huge risk, it may pay out but in most cases it won’t and you’ll end up overpaying for a player.

But with a proper due diligence Im not against it, we have the financial muscle so we might very well use it to our advantage.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Camavinga.

He's playing at a higher level and looks more established already. Went toe to toe with PSG and the rest of France's best midfields and played in Europe already.

Bellingham though has a great physique and good potential, but we shall see how he progresses.

Devil may care

Due to his contract situation and the fact a club like Rennes could do with £50M up front while still keeping one of their best players for another season.

Sea-Cow

Camavinga.

He's playing at a higher level and looks more established already. Went toe to toe with PSG and the rest of France's best midfields and played in Europe already.

Bellingham though has a great physique and good potential, but we shall see how he progresses.
Agreed. Bellingham is all potential. Camavinga, as crazy as it sounds for a teenager, could step in right away.

Cliche Guevara

I see this all the time and I just don’t get why people come out with it. Why does any club sell any player when they might get more at a later date.

This way they get what they’re getting and still have the player. And as has been said his contract position.

If we bought him we should play him in my view, however.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Him or Bellingham?
As talented as this lad is, I'd say Bellingham. We've made a huge effort with him. With mejbri coming through too, I don't see all three being a very balanced squad.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
As talented as this lad is, I'd say Bellingham. We've made a huge effort with him. With mejbri coming through too, I don't see all three being a very balanced squad.
Tbh the 3 of them would potentially make a world class midfield 3 in future. Shows where the market is when you’d have to pay about £90m-£100m to secure the three of them as 16 year olds.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Tbh the 3 of them would potentially make a world class midfield 3 in future. Shows where the market is when you’d have to pay about £90m-£100m to secure the three of them as 16 year olds.
Yeah, that's true, but by no means a given. Would be the biggest gamble, potentially could pay off, but who knows if and when.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yeah, that's true, but by no means a given. Would be the biggest gamble, potentially could pay off, but who knows if and when.
Indeed. This is the sort of game Real Madrid began playing a while ago when they stopped competing for the most expensive players. Remains to be seen how it will turn out. It’s probably a strategy better suited to teams without shorter term need, although even if it doesn’t work over 5 years or so, I’m sure a club can recoup a fair amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.