EFL Trophy: Lincoln City v Man United u21

DevTheRed

If this was football manager we could be inviting Rashford in for a chat to see if he wants to mentor him, of course Hannibal might say feck off and we all know that tanks the morale.
Next thing you know you’ve got a squad meeting lead by Hannibal, Rashford and Pogba against you whilst you’ve only got the 5th choice keeper and Fred the Red in your corner.

Gandalf

He almost didn´t make it to the first team because of lack of fire.
He definitely solved that one though. I think it was Craig Burley told a story about him at Chelsea where they went to play City and Sparky almost killed Keith Curle during the match, kicked him, swore at him etc. In the dressing room after the lads asked Sparky if he was going to go out with them and he said no cos him and his missus were going out to dinner with Keith Curle and his wife!

pascell

Yeah think he did.

The fiery types, it usually takes a few years to calm down.

But I quite like it. I get a bit frustrated at seeing overly coached, emotionless, young players.
Hopefully that comes with age and he settles down a bit. I'm the same as you, absolutely loved Rooney when he first signed and the aggression he played with.

laughtersassassin

Surprise we are not giving Amad any minutes in the Under23s to remind the lower level Prem clubs how good he would be for them.

oskarutd

He definitely solved that one though. I think it was Craig Burley told a story about him at Chelsea where they went to play City and Sparky almost killed Keith Curle during the match, kicked him, swore at him etc. In the dressing room after the lads asked Sparky if he was going to go out with them and he said no cos him and his missus were going out to dinner with Keith Curle and his wife!
A great story.
Now people can't divide the pitch and life outside the pitch, wherever the pitch is in their life.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
The second yellow wasn't so bad - but he should have got the second yellow 20 seconds earlier for retaliation. And of course it changes something that he is sent off yet again. This was not an isolated incident - after Neil Ryan said they had worked hard on his mentality - he has been sent off twice in as many matches.

As long as this happens - he can't be trusted to play first-team football where the stakes are much higher no matter how good he is. The opposition can simply put in a couple of hard tackles on him and they know chances are he will implode and be sent off.
But his outburst is after some horrific challenges that he has endured over last year and a half. So his reaction isn't unwarranted. He is 18 years old, I am sure he will grow out of it. In the same game he was kicked around, shirt pulled but no cards were shown. His first yellow also wasn't bad considering some of the tackles he had to face.

I remember how Chong was kicked around which finally ended up with a severe knee injury which kept him out for a year. Don't want to see Hannibal end up having something similar.

I feel we should be careful with him. Ask him to tone down his retaliation but also protect him from horrific challenges. He is a precocious talent and we should help him out in any we can. At this moment keeping him away from reserve football and sending him on loan to less physical league would be my preference. I see no point in playing him in reserves when he is getting kicked around.

Personally if you ask me, I watch youth football just to see the talent on display and don't like the physical game it has become. Some of the challenge that are allowed at that level would get red card at top level. These players don't have fully developed body and should be protected more than senior footballers

Mickson

Hannibal won't be kicked around like that in the first team, so I have no doubt he will be calm enough. 1) he will get better protection from better refs, 2) PL teams rarely kick around anymore and 3) he won't be the focal point in the first team with Pogba, Bruno etc.

mat85

The youth forums are so mad at times. So is mcneill being written off as a teenager, in his first ever appearance in men's football, in a game he scored in? Like I'm not saying he is going to be greenwood, but at least wait until the end of his first match to pass judgement!

lysglimt

Scout
But his outburst is after some horrific challenges that he has endured over last year and a half. So his reaction isn't unwarranted. He is 18 years old, I am sure he will grow out of it. In the same game he was kicked around, shirt pulled but no cards were shown. His first yellow also wasn't bad considering some of the tackles he had to face.

I remember how Chong was kicked around which finally ended up with a severe knee injury which kept him out for a year. Don't want to see Hannibal end up having something similar.

I feel we should be careful with him. Ask him to tone down his retaliation but also protect him from horrific challenges. He is a precocious talent and we should help him out in any we can. At this moment keeping him away from reserve football and sending him on loan to less physical league would be my preference. I see no point in playing him in reserves when he is getting kicked around.

Personally if you ask me, I watch youth football just to see the talent on display and don't like the physical game it has become. Some of the challenge that are allowed at that level would get red card at top level. These players don't have fully developed body and should be protected more than senior footballers
In one game when he was sent off yes - yesterday no. These weren't horrific challenges. The majority of them were harmless - fouls yes, but certainly not much more than you would expect to get in any first-team match.

In the 21 minute he started waving 2 fingers in the air to the referee - indicating the opponents had fouled him twice and should be booked - and the second was more an opponent running into him and barging him to the ground. Harmless - but already then he had started complaining to the referee.

And with a yellow card just before he got sent off - he should have had a free-kick just outside the box. Didn't get it - and in frustration he ran straight over to the first Lincoln-player he saw and sent him to the ground. He was lucky not to get his second yellow then, even if the actual second yellow he got was fairly harmless.

So yes - I agree there were a few matches last season where the tackles were well over the top. Yesterday wasn't one of them.

lysglimt

Scout
Yeah I heard that one - was hilarious. A lot of people said that about Hughes - he was completely quiet in the dressing room and as soon as he entered the pitch he went mental.

Marwood

The youth forums are so mad at times. So is mcneill being written off as a teenager, in his first ever appearance in men's football, in a game he scored in? Like I'm not saying he is going to be greenwood, but at least wait until the end of his first match to pass judgement!
It's not the forum, one poster has said that.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
I cant understand all this criticism of McNeol. He is 17. You cannot write him off after 1 game. This is so symptomatic of the Instant Culture of today. Give the lad a chance. Its like we lose 1 match and everyone is rubbish all over a sudden.