EFL Trophy | Lincoln vs Manchester United

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Kick off: 7:45 pm BST
Live on MUTV

The Imps are now managed by ex-Red Michael Appleton, who has already faced United this term as West Brom's Under-23s coach. He took over the reins from Danny and Nicky Cowley, who switched to Huddersfield Town earlier this month.

United midfielder Dylan Levitt played, and scored in the 5-0 win over Appleton's Albion second string and he is another youngster relishing the chance to play senior opponents in the Leasing.com Trophy.
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/leasing-com-trophy-preview-lincoln-v-man-utd-u21s

NWRed

Chong in, so not involved in Europa. Be interesting to see Mengi and Hoogewerf at this level.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Ah, why Garner is playing here? Should be part of the 18 at least in Europa matches.

NWRed

Ah, why Garner is playing here? Should be part of the 18 at least in Europa matches.
If we can secure a qualifying spot early he'll be involved then. I think the last game may have made Ole think twice about starting too many youngsters yet so we may see only Greenwood on Thursday with Gomes on the bench.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Great space picked up by Chong with a perfectly weighted layoff for an on running Jimmy Garner with a world class finish. Couldn't place it any better.

Getting dominated apart from that.

limerickcitykid

Absolute brilliant ball by Chong for Devine running in who can't get a proper shot off, should have done better.

Chong fantastic the last 10 minutes or so. They can't deal with him at all.

Sea-Cow

Absolute brilliant ball by Chong for Devine running in who can't get a proper shot off, should have done better.

Chong fantastic the last 10 minutes or so. They can't deal with him at all.
Thats good to hear. Hopefully it gives him a confidence boost.

And I am resisting the urge to say......... maybe he found his level.

limerickcitykid

Half-time thoughts:

Kovar: Better than De Gea.
Puigmal: The defending of a pylon. Completely anonymous other than when he is giving the ball away. Made one good run down the right.
Mengi: Shaky and sloppy but not awful. The entire backline, especially our right side are really struggling with their pressure.
Bernard: Some really nice bits on the ball with some good passes. Can never trust him defensively though.
Devine: Best of the back 4, some good tackles and won a couple fouls to relieve some heavy pressure. Should have done better on his chance in the box. A little naivety and adjusting to the level but fairly good.
Garner/Levitt/Galbraith: Fantastic finish from Garner. All a bit similar apart from that. Some good passes and quality while also going through big periods of really struggling to contain the ball and deal with their pressure. Have all slowly worked their way into the game to get some more composure.
Chong: Best outfield player on the pitch. They can't handle him any time he touches the ball other than hacking him down.
Traore: Anonymous other than giving the ball away around our box.
Largie: A few nice bits and runs but also really struggled to control the ball several times. Lively runner but needs more quality and composure at times.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
1-0 up at HT with a fantastic strike from James Garner via a Chong assist. Tahith Chong also playing with a swagger and alot of confidence and is causing Lincoln alot of problems. Lincoln are also higher in the table than Rochdale who took our first team to a penalty shootout last week.

So far so good. Hopefully the lads can kick on in the second half and maybe score another 1 or 2 more goals.

Sparky Rhiwabon

This tournament could well be the highlight of our season. Would be a new trophy to win as well!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Elanga replaces Chong at Half-time. Was pre-planned to play Chong only for 45 minutes according to MUTV.

VanGaalyTime

1-0 up at HT with a fantastic strike from James Garner via a Chong assist. Tahith Chong also playing with a swagger and alot of confidence and is causing Lincoln alot of problems. Lincoln are also higher in the table than Rochdale who took our first team to a penalty shootout last week.

So far so good. Hopefully the lads can kick on in the second half and maybe score another 1 or 2 more goals.
It's so bizarre Chong has been written off by the majority of our fan base. He's looked unplayable today and is still only 19.

limerickcitykid

Traore is genuinely completely useless. Loses the ball every time he has it. Offers no pressing, never picks up a man, and just walks around. One of the worst performances I have ever seen.

And yet again another fantastic cross from them because Traore stands there while they have the wing to do all they want. Should be pulled off, that was an absolute joke there. Stopped and just stood there.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The Lincoln #3 is putting in fantastic deliveries with his left peg that we've been lucky to get away with thus far. Someone really needs to get closer to him.

limerickcitykid

And Puigmal now trying to score own goals. Trying to compete with Traore for worst on the pitch. Speaking of which Traore wildly swings giving away a free kick at the edge of the box.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Kovar having a good game. Good with his feet and showing a safe pair of hands on a few occasions in the 2nd half thus far.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ramazani with a brilliant strike which comes off the inside of the post, unlucky.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Lincoln defender slips and Ramazani was through but his effort is saved onto the post by the keeper. Great chance.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fantastic victory for the young lads against a team that is placed higher in the League table than Rochdale who took our first team to a penalty shootout. Chong was fantastic in the first half and played with real guile and gusto. And at times Lincoln were struggling to contain him.

James Garner, Teden Mengi and Kovar also played well IMO. All in all a fantastic victory for the young lads against a good team that had a noticeable physical advantage.

Last edited:

Mickson

Traore is genuinely completely useless. Loses the ball every time he has it. Offers no pressing, never picks up a man, and just walks around. One of the worst performances I have ever seen.

And yet again another fantastic cross from them because Traore stands there while they have the wing to do all they want. Should be pulled off, that was an absolute joke there. Stopped and just stood there.
Haha, he was really poor today but to be fair, Traore has been good in the last couple of matches. Played out of position today though. He, along with Puigmal, was the worst performers today. I'm impressed by Mengi and Ramazani today. Thought Garner was a bit careless with the ball, same as Levitt and Galbraith.

jb8521

He only ever really does well when a game is completely open & his straight line bursts are affective to a degree but even then he usually lacks the composure to play the final pass. Reminds me of Sissoko at his worst a lot of the time.

limerickcitykid

He only ever really does well when a game is completely open & his straight line bursts are affective to a degree but even then he usually lacks the composure to play the final pass. Reminds me of Sissoko at his worst a lot of the time.
Fully agree, I really don't rate him in the slightest and he lives off those powerful runs which he only pulls out every few matches.

But the infuriating part today isn't even about him being a poor player. It was his refusal to at any point help his teammates in even the slightest way. He watched Toffolo overlap time and time again and he abruptly stopped every time to just watch Puigmal run in circles trying to cover two players. I don't care how good or bad any player is, that performance today was just unacceptable for me. How he wasn't hooked off is beyond me. That attitude shouldn't be accepted and any kid I coach who does that would be owing each and every one of his teammates an apology. It was blatant disrespect to his teammates who were working their ass off. Puigmal literally collapsed at the final whistle due to exhaustion while Traore didn't break walking pace once unless he had the ball.