EFL Trophy | Rotherham vs Manchester United

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
That was my biggest concern when we bought AWB. Maybe one of them can move centrally
I had the same concerns.

AWB looks immense though - in fairness.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Having Laird, Dalot and AWB competing is surely one of them good problems. From the little I have seen from Laird (compared to others here) What has impressed me the most is his attacking attributes and understanding of the modern fullback-role, but he is obviously a clever footballer, and if he proves himself good enough for the first team I think he could play almost anywhere.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Pretty concerned that we lost to children.

Heffo

A quick player rating:

Kovar - 7 - several good saves and solid at crosses

Williams - 7 - good coming forward. Good pass for Laird for the first goal

Bernard - 6 - one of few who looked a bit shaky. Ok - but lost his man a few times

O'Connor - 7 - lost his man as well once - good at playing his way out of defense.

Laird - 8 - solid defensively and scored a great first goal

Chong - 7 - did 90% correct but missed too many chances. Should have got an assist when Mellor missed from 3 yards.

Garner - 7 - a couple of poor passes combined with quite a few good ones. Good but have been better

Levitt - 7 - hard-working and kept it simple. Came really close when his shot hit the post.

Gomes - 9 - MOTM - best ever game in a United-shirt ? Simply too good for Rotherham

Ramazani - 7 - anonymous before the break - came into life in the second. Scored a great goal.

Mellor - 6 - Works really hard, but United with Mellor rather than Greenwood is like day and night. Should have scored.
Agree on most, but Garner was an easy 8 for me. He's so good at making space for himself and playing the ball out of tight spaces. Some great passes today and put in a good defensive shift as well.

Ace of Spades

Really good experience for the players. The usual suspects were good as always. I don't think any one was bad, and that is positive.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Lovely goals there.
Bit disappointed with Rotherham's view on the second goal, called it a 'punt upfield', was a cracking little move, good lay of from (it looked like) Gomes, great ball from Garner, and a great run from Ramazani, good finish too. Nice to see both full backs link up for the first goal too. I'm excited for our club in the future, and yes I know it's only one match, but from what I've read about the game there were some great performances from quite a few players.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Bit disappointed with Rotherham's view on the second goal, called it a 'punt upfield', was a cracking little move, good lay of from (it looked like) Gomes, great ball from Garner, and a great run from Ramazani, good finish too. Nice to see both full backs link up for the first goal too. I'm excited for our club in the future, and yes I know it's only one match, but from what I've read about the game there were some great performances from quite a few players.
Yeah, nice little raking Paul Scholes 60-yard 'punt upfield' on a sixpence 2 yards in front of the charging winger :lol:

Danni Utd

Hasn't he played on the left too or am I making that up?
He has! I watched Laird at LB in the U18s a few times in the last couple of years and he looks excellent there too to be honest. He's a real prospect.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I thought we'd lose so pleasantly surprised at how well we played, especially the second half.

Kovar 8
Laird 8
O'Connor 6
Bernard 6
Williams 8
Garner 8
Levitt 7
Gomes 9
Ramazani 7
Mellor 7
Chong 6

Guessing it wasn't a MUTV production or we've got a new camera crew/Director because I didn't see Neil Wood, or Quinton Fortune at all once the game had started even during longish stoppages for the injuries to Garner and Levitt, christ last season we got a close-up of Ricky Sbragia every few minutes, sometimes without warning!

435 United fans making it sound like a home match. Found myself singing along like you do.

And no substitutes used. Can't recall that ever happening for a United match at any level below the first-team.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We played really well and it was very good test for our youngsters, coped well with physical team (except few times).

This tournament should be very good for players, playing against proper teams.

Also we played 4-2-3-1, I think the plan is to play in same way as first team.

Kovar's save would have made De Gea proud. Laird, Levitt, Garner all looked good. For me Gomes was the most impressive player.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Delighted to see the u23s get some proper competitive football. Gomes was fecking insanely good. So mature and composed. He is ready. Looks the real deal. Ready to play in central midfield.

Laird looks very good too. Think he’ll be the understudy to AWB sooner rather than later, with Dalot becoming this generation’s Phil Neville. A utility player who can play in either full back position, or midfield. And before anyone thinks that’s a put down, it isn’t. P.Nev was very good for us.

ariel

Must admit it was a pleasant surprise, we played really well.
Thought Laird, Garner and (obviously) Gomes were one level above others.
Kovar also surprised. Was very assured and what a save.

Felt that Chong was trying too hard.

Reactions: Rood

Mark Pawelek

we played 4-2-3-1
4-2-3-1? You mean:

---------------- Kovar
Laird -- O'Connor -- Bernard -- Williams
---------- Garner ---- Levitt
----- Ramazani -- Gomes -- Chong
----------------- Mellor

How was Levitt's defensive game?
PS: From what I've seen, I have no qualms over his attack.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
4-2-3-1? You mean:

---------------- Kovar
Laird -- O'Connor -- Bernard -- Williams
---------- Garner ---- Levitt
----- Ramazani -- Gomes -- Chong
----------------- Mellor

How was Levitt's defensive game?
PS: From what I've seen, I have no qualms over his attack.
Yeah that was the shape. I didn't focus on Levitt, so can't say how he was defensively but midfielders and attackers looked good in possession and also there was so much off the ball movement.

Mark Pawelek

Yeah that was the shape. I didn't focus on Levitt, so can't say how he was defensively but midfielders and attackers looked good in possession and also there was so much off the ball movement.
Thank you kindly.

PS: The EFL Trophy features 64 clubs. 48 from League 1 and 2. Plus 16 under-21 teams from the Premiership and Championship. The first stage has teams split into 16 mini-leagues of 4 teams each. Each team plays 3 matches. Under-21 sides play all their matches away from home. Other sides play 2 home and 1 away. The top 2 finishing teams go through to the knockout stage. From then on it's a knockout competition. Draws in the knockout stage are decided by a penalty shootout. Draws in the first (league) stage lead to a penalty shootout with the winner gaining 1 extra point. Otherwise the league stage is 3 points for a win. 0 for a loss. 1 for a draw.

I calculate there are upto 8 matches to play to win it. 3 in the mini-league, followed by another 5 in the knockout stage.

Joseunited

Must admit it was a pleasant surprise, we played really well.
Thought Laird, Garner and (obviously) Gomes were one level above others.
Kovar also surprised. Was very assured and what a save.

Felt that Chong was trying too hard.
Not too impressed with Mellor though, doesn't look a real goal threat.Kovar was ok but wanted to go after every cross that came in the box although he did start one of the best moves I think I've ever seen in a game of football that almost ended up with a goal but Ramazani hit the inside of the post right at the end of the game.

All in all a good game of football to watch.

Vissy

Garner, Gomes, Levitt, Laird, Williams all good. Ramazani looks promising. If he can get more consistency and not ghost out of games for entire halves at a time he could be quite a decent player.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Not too impressed with Mellor though, doesn't look a real goal threat.Kovar was ok but wanted to go after every cross that came in the box although he did start one of the best moves I think I've ever seen in a game of football that almost ended up with a goal but Ramazani hit the inside of the post right at the end of the game.

Think it might have been Levitt, but yes, what a fantastic move, from Kovar's drag back, Gomes showing Matic and Pereira how to get out of a tight spot, very quick support for the players with the ball, and a terrific shot, brilliant. They all looked full of running right to the end as well, so stamina not a problem.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Thank you kindly.

PS: The EFL Trophy features 64 clubs. 48 from League 1 and 2. Plus 16 under-21 teams from the Premiership and Championship. The first stage has teams split into 16 mini-leagues of 4 teams each. Each team plays 3 matches. Under-21 sides play all their matches away from home. Other sides play 2 home and 1 away. The top 2 finishing teams go through to the knockout stage. From then on it's a knockout competition. Draws in the knockout stage are decided by a penalty shootout. Draws in the first (league) stage lead to a penalty shootout with the winner gaining 1 extra point. Otherwise the league stage is 3 points for a win. 0 for a loss. 1 for a draw.

I calculate there are upto 8 matches to play to win it. 3 in the mini-league, followed by another 5 in the knockout stage.
That is why a win out the gate is huge for us. At the very least these players should be playing for the chance to add more competitive football to their schedule, only 22 games or something dumb like that in the PL2 U-23 league.

Mickson

He isn't. Our weak link even though he's working in our team because of his work-rate, his runs through the oppositions defense and sometimes good hold up play. But he isn't going to score many goals. I bit like Bohui. We are a little short at the striker position when we let Burkart go. Mellor is our only natural striker if we don't count Greenwood which obviously is a bit worrying. I guess Elanga, Ramazani and a couple of others will play the role but it's not really the same.