EFL Trophy

JB7

For a United fan it kind of does. I’m very happy to see United enter this competition, it really seems to be a good platform for the youth prospects to gain experience against tougher opponents.
I'm a United fan and it doesn't... I would suggest there are far more football fans in this country against B teams playing in these competitions than there are for it. The only reason they're signed off to play in the competition is because the Premier League are paying clubs not to oppose it.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Because believe it or not the entirety of football in this country doesn't run around Manchester United and its youth team.

It's EFLs trial competition before proposing allowing B teams into the league set-up proper. Anyone outside of the Premier League bubble hates the competition and rightly so, until all U23 teams are knocked out the competition is rightly treated as the joke it is and largely boycotted by supporters.

It was once a decent competition which gave teams from League 1 and 2 the opportunity to play at Wembley in a cup final, it is now a Premier Leagues plaything where these teams are fined by the FA if they don't put out a near full strength side to play against a youth team - what a farce.
Is it? I have not heard much about that but I can understand why lower league clubs would be against that (although on a selfish level it would be good for United and other PL teams).
This competition was already struggling with not much interest though so they had to do something to revitalise it

I actually didnt understand why United rejected the opportunity last season, its a brilliant opportunity for our young players to test themselves against experienced pros

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Can't believe the righteous indignation. It's a cup competition and sacrifices have to be made. When top teams procide better players, the whole football pyramid benefits.

JB7

The lower leagues are exactly as they were before. This is a cup competition and does not affect lower league places.
I was asked my thoughts on Barca B and Real Madrid B playing in the Spanish lower league......

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The lower leagues are exactly as they were before. This is a cup competition and does not affect lower league places.
Yes, but you can see how it may have been the thin end of the wedge.
Sneak b teams into a minor cup, then maybe into the league cup and eventually into the league.

Fans have violently rejected it. Gates were never massive in this cup, but all time lows are being set since they made this decision.

In Rainbows

Wonder when the reschedule is going to be? Our next scheduled match is the end of October.

Other academy matches
Mansfield 1-1 Everton (pen winners)
Northampton (pen winners) 1-1 Arsenal

Thus far, United's u21 have had the best performance out of all the PL u21 sides.

In Rainbows

Some other academies performances in the last few weeks
Salford City vs Aston Villa u21
2-0

Macclesfield vs Newcastle u21
2-1

Rochdale vs City u21
0-2

Ipswich vs Spurs u21
2-1

Oxford vs Norwich u21
2-1
Portsmouth vs Norwich u21
3-1

Wimbledon vs Brighton u21
0-2

Forest Green vs Southampton u21
3-2

Newport vs Westham u21
4-5

So far, United, and City have done the best.

Mark Pawelek

Will United make a serious effort to challenge City this year? We played a real make shift side in our 4th tie last season so were kicked out despite winning the first 3 ties. City played Foden in the final.

Mickson

Will United make a serious effort to challenge City this year? We played a real make shift side in our 4th tie last season so were kicked out despite winning the first 3 ties. City played Foden in the final.
Doubt it. Greenwood and Williams will not play (Greenwood barely played last season) Garner, Levitt, and Galbraith will be loaned out, Kovar too. Gomes is gone, Chong is on loan, and Mellor is injured. Mengi and Laird are the ones I expect to play here. Can't see us going that far this season, our team last season was brilliant and better than this team will be. Would've won against Tranmere if not the first team were playing at the same time.

lysglimt

Scout
Doubt it. Greenwood and Williams will not play (Greenwood barely played last season) Garner, Levitt, and Galbraith will be loaned out, Kovar too. Gomes is gone, Chong is on loan, and Mellor is injured. Mengi and Laird are the ones I expect to play here. Can't see us going that far this season, our team last season was brilliant and better than this team will be. Would've won against Tranmere if not the first team were playing at the same time.
One thing is the quality - another is the physical aspect. Several of the guys we used last year were physical, or at least physical enough to cope with league 1 players of inferior quality (Levitt, Galbraith, Garner, Mellor, Chong) - I just can't see too many of our 17 year olds doing the same.

Mark Pawelek

I was referring to United losing 4th match last year after a promising start. 1st time United entered it too. Just checked the match: United lost 3-2 to Tranmere after playing a strong team but not our strongest possible.

Mark Pawelek

Given so many players will go out on loan, and the official site changed again so I can't find the U-23 roster. Is this list below close to our U23s / U21s squad for coming season? Did I miss anyone, and include any I shouldn't. PS: I'm excluding every player I expect to go out on loan.
Player​
Age​
Foot​
Position​
Nathan Bishop​
20​
Right​
GK​
Ondrej Mastny​
18​
Right​
GK​
Jacob Carney​
19​
Right​
GK​
Ethan Laird​
19​
Right​
RB​
Harvey Neville​
18​
Right​
RB​
Reece Devine​
18​
Left​
LB​
Will Fish​
17​
Right​
CB​
Luca Ercolani​
20​
Both​
CB​
Lukasz Bejger​
18​
Right​
CB​
Teden Mengi​
18​
Right​
CB​
Charlie McCann​
18​
Right​
CDM​
Connor Stanley​
18​
Right​
RW​
Arnau Puigmal​
19​
Right​
MC​
Hannibal Mejbri​
17​
Right​
MC​
Max Haygarth​
18​
Both​
MC​
Dillon Hoogewerf​
17​
Both​
CF​
Ayodeji Sotona​
17​
Left​
CF​
Mark Helm​
18​
Right​
AM​
Anthony Elanga​
18​
Right​
LW​

If you wonder why we I put so many 17 year old players in the list it'll be because we released a lot of U23s this year as well as last and we'll send a lot of last season's U23s out on loan. Devine, still 18 played in the EFL last season.

Mickson

I'm not totally home on the geography in England but from what I can tell United can meet these teams in the Round of 32:

Fleetwood
Shrewsbury
Port Vale
Oldham
Accrington Stanley
Hull

lysglimt

Scout
I'm not totally home on the geography in England but from what I can tell United can meet these teams in the Round of 32:

Fleetwood
Shrewsbury
Port Vale
Oldham
Accrington Stanley
Hull
If that is the case - looking at the U23, U18 and first teams - Oldham look by far the weakest. Fleetwood appear to have a pretty decent U18 side so they might be a team we want to avoid, together with Hull