EFL Trophy

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
The rules state that at least six of the starting XI must be aged 21 or under on 30 June 2019 and there must be no more than two players who are over 21 and have made more than 40 appearances for the first team, again as of the end of last month.

RedDevilRoshi

How do the groups work for this competition? Is it one or two teams that qualify?

Mark Pawelek

How do the groups work for this competition? Is it one or two teams that qualify?
The top 2 teams qualify. Points are :
3 - Win
1 - Draw
+1 for winners of penalty shootout
0 - Loss

U-21s play all their group matches away from home. Other (league 1 & 2) teams play 2 at home and 1 away. So 32 teams qualify from 16 groups of 4 each. 32 go in to a straight knockout. Draws decided by a penalty shootout.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's had different names/sponsors over the years. Great to see PL second strings being invited though
It's interesting you say this, as this is NOT the thinking of the majority of the fans of lower league clubs - who see this as the thin end of the wedge of having B teams in the football league.
The revulsion at MK Dons being allowed to in effect steal an earnt league place continues today for example.

The gates are shocking as well, and you do wonder what 3 games or so against lower league hack teams will actually do to aid premier league youngsters instead of say a proper loan to a lower league team.

Just for one opinion like :lol:

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
It's interesting you say this, as this is NOT the thinking of the majority of the fans of lower league clubs - who see this as the thin end of the wedge of having B teams in the football league.
The revulsion at MK Dons being allowed to in effect steal an earnt league place continues today for example.

The gates are shocking as well, and you do wonder what 3 games or so against lower league hack teams will actually do to aid premier league youngsters instead of say a proper loan to a lower league team.

Just for one opinion like :lol:
It's an absolute disgrace that they have let in U23 teams turned an already little respected competition into a farce.

Red00012

I don’t see the issue with it to be honest.
I have never watched the competition but will watch Utd’s games in it this season.

Santos J

First time we've accepted. We've been invited every year the u23s have been involved.
Ah fair enough, glad we have then. Thanks!

why?

I actually hadnt realised we were in a group for this, thought it was straight knock out
They beat Huddersfield in the Carabao Cup so they play Everton on that day now which takes priority. Yeah we're in a group with Rotherham, Lincoln & Donny.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's an absolute disgrace that they have let in U23 teams turned an already little respected competition into a farce.
I don’t see the issue with it to be honest.
I have never watched the competition but will watch Utd’s games in it this season.
Probably because with all due respect you're both totally one eyed selfish premier league fans who don't give a seconds thought to other teams?

:lol:

Vissy

I'm really iffy about this. I want to see our U23s playing against tougher opposition but I don't think this is fair to any other teams. Youth competitions should stay as youth competitions, I have no idea if playing in this EFL Trophy is even going to be beneficial to their development. What if they just get kicked about by grown men and get injured as a result? Well fecking done there then.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'm really iffy about this. I want to see our U23s playing against tougher opposition but I don't think this is fair to any other teams. Youth competitions should stay as youth competitions, I have no idea if playing in this EFL Trophy is even going to be beneficial to their development. What if they just get kicked about by grown men and get injured as a result? Well fecking done there then.
Most of the EFL teams play weakened teams anyway.

JB7

Disgrace of a competition, used to be genuinely proud of the fact we didn't enter a team in it. Disappointed we entered this season - really good performance in the first game at Rotherham by all accounts but I hope we get knocked out sooner rather than later in truth.

Mark Pawelek

I have no idea if playing in this EFL Trophy is even going to be beneficial to their development. What if they just get kicked about by grown men and get injured as a result? Well fecking done there then.
Same applies if they go out on loan. They only have 2 more games in the group stage before they go to the knockout stages. Send them on loan and they can get kicked about for an entire season.

Mark Pawelek

... you do wonder what 3 games or so against lower league hack teams will actually do to aid premier league youngsters instead of say a proper loan to a lower league team ...
EFL Trophy games give kids a chance to play as a team in a formation they know with players they're familiar with.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Youth football is dirtier and more dangerous than senior football. It's the biggest myth going, League One sides aren't out here breaking legs every week.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
and you do wonder what 3 games or so against lower league hack teams will actually do to aid premier league youngsters instead of say a proper loan to a lower league team.
So you call them "lower league hack" but then just suggest that the best talent in the country should waste their time being coached by these same "lower league hack" coaches?

Thiagoal

Disgrace of a competition, used to be genuinely proud of the fact we didn't enter a team in it. Disappointed we entered this season - really good performance in the first game at Rotherham by all accounts but I hope we get knocked out sooner rather than later in truth.
I find this a really bizarre opinion! The idea of allowing in U21 teams is to expose them to the cut and thrust of competitive football! The first match against Rotherham was 100 times more competitive than any U23 league game I’ve watched! The players really seemed to enjoy the added intensity and sharpness that they required too! So much so that a number of the team will have boosted their chances of first team minutes!

JB7

I find this a really bizarre opinion! The idea of allowing in U21 teams is to expose them to the cut and thrust of competitive football! The first match against Rotherham was 100 times more competitive than any U23 league game I’ve watched! The players really seemed to enjoy the added intensity and sharpness that they required too! So much so that a number of the team will have boosted their chances of first team minutes!
Because believe it or not the entirety of football in this country doesn't run around Manchester United and its youth team.

It's EFLs trial competition before proposing allowing B teams into the league set-up proper. Anyone outside of the Premier League bubble hates the competition and rightly so, until all U23 teams are knocked out the competition is rightly treated as the joke it is and largely boycotted by supporters.

It was once a decent competition which gave teams from League 1 and 2 the opportunity to play at Wembley in a cup final, it is now a Premier Leagues plaything where these teams are fined by the FA if they don't put out a near full strength side to play against a youth team - what a farce.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Wait didn't this start last week or did I just dream of watching our kids play?

DarkRed

Because believe it or not the entirety of football in this country doesn't run around Manchester United and its youth team.

It's EFLs trial competition before proposing allowing B teams into the league set-up proper. Anyone outside of the Premier League bubble hates the competition and rightly so, until all U23 teams are knocked out the competition is rightly treated as the joke it is and largely boycotted by supporters.

It was once a decent competition which gave teams from League 1 and 2 the opportunity to play at Wembley in a cup final, it is now a Premier Leagues plaything where these teams are fined by the FA if they don't put out a near full strength side to play against a youth team - what a farce.
I wonder how do you feel then about what going on in Spain where Barca B and Madrid's B teams play in the second division but can never win promotion ?

JB7

I wonder how do you feel then about what going on in Spain where Barca B and Madrid's B teams play in the second division but can never win promotion ?
It's outrageous and shouldn't be allowed. Turns the lower leagues into a joke.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Probably because with all due respect you're both totally one eyed selfish premier league fans who don't give a seconds thought to other teams?

:lol:
Sorry fella but you are WAY off the mark here - I couldn't be further from what you accusing me of "one eyed selfish premier league fan" give your head a wobble. It is a disgrace they've allowed Premier League U23s in as it should be a lower league cup only. Don't get me started on how the Premier League sh!t all over the lower leagues it's one of the major things I'd love to see redressed in football in this country.

SirAF

Ageist

For a United fan it kind of does. I’m very happy to see United enter this competition, it really seems to be a good platform for the youth prospects to gain experience against tougher opponents.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford

Spot on - it was struggling with attendences and teams taking it seriously before, certainly in the early rounds, allowing in U23 teams was the final nail in the coffin imo..

Mickson

I'm ambivalent. I absolutely love that United is in it and it's a fantastic experience for our youth teams and maybe very necessary for player development in England to reach the heights of Spanish football. On the other side, I completely understand this from the supporter to lower league teams point of view and I'm totally uninterested in seeing Chelsea U21 against Port Vale. But I guess they have their league and the FA Cup as well so it's not like I'm feeling sorry for them.

In Rainbows

I find it strange that our youth are seen as kiddies as if that matters. What matters is talent. If our youth makes it more competitive, then stop looking at them in a condescending manner. If they're kids and they're below you, then play them off the park if you can.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sorry fella but you are WAY off the mark here - I couldn't be further from what you accusing me of "one eyed selfish premier league fan" give your head a wobble. It is a disgrace they've allowed Premier League U23s in as it should be a lower league cup only. Don't get me started on how the Premier League sh!t all over the lower leagues it's one of the major things I'd love to see redressed in football in this country.
Apologies there. Copied the wrong poster in. Reading back i can see you were obviously anti it :wenger: