Gaming eFootball PES 2020 (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Android, iOS)

Hoof the ball

A couple of gameplay videos out now. Finally, for the first time in football game history we have a proper television broadcast camera with the right zooms. Looks great!

dove

Another year without football game for me. I am tired of FIFA but PES lacks so much I can't get into it.

Konami blatantly lying again about "completely overhauled user interface" which is nothing more than using a different colour palette.

Gameplay looks fun as always but I bet it will have lots of issues again. Yesterday's live stream when they were 40 min late because of "tech issues" and then we got amateurish 480p stream with audio issues sums up the state of their team for me :(

Marcelinho87

When it comes to playing the actual game of football then PES wins hands down.

Rest of the game is poor though.

pascell

Since Matthaus, Nakata, Ronaldinho, Nedved, Vieira are legends on PES, does that mean they've got the rights to them and they wont be on fifa 20?

SparkedIntoLife

I do hope they sort out the Master League. In my view, there does seem to be a need to produce a good management sim that doesn’t go into the complexity of current FM but has good graphical stuff that makes it feel more real. Kinda like what FIFA/Total Club Manager was back in the day. If they can incorporate something similar into Pro Evo, it would be a kickass combination.

The career mode in FIFA is better but still has been pretty much the same for years now.

Gameplay wise, PES is king IMHO.

Hoof the ball

No one gonna comment on the fecking delicious camera angle?

According to the devs, the entire gameplay and ai has been rebuilt around this new camera angle in order to get people playing “realistic” football

tenpoless

I like PES 2019 gameplay, but there are annoying stuffs that kept happening defensively that made me tear my hair out :
  • Defenders sometimes bump into each other when trying to win / chase the ball. Making a mess in their own half, freeing up spaces, even giving the ball away to opponent's forward
  • Fullbacks with attacking type always get forward regardless if there are already plenty of options up front and no other support needed, leaving them to be countered easily (looking at you Tottenham... 4 FBS with attacking type)
  • The two CBs won't stay in the box if the opponent uses wide forwards / wingers and one of them just have to go wide even though there are no apparent threat and crossing can easily be handled with 2 CBs instead of one (this always happen doesn't matter if you set defensive set up to all out defence)
  • Suarez being retardedly hard to contain. His movement is too good that top CBs shit themselves whenever He start running around the box. He's good but NOT that good
I hope They fixed those. Can't wait to try PES 2020 myself.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
No one gonna comment on the fecking delicious camera angle?

According to the devs, the entire gameplay and ai has been rebuilt around this new camera angle in order to get people playing “realistic” football
Too zoomed out for me, can't make out the players properly. Might look better on a proper TV though.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
You’ve always been able to customise pretty much all the cameras, so that won’t be an issue.... I need them to fix the fecking replays!

Hoof the ball

You’ve always been able to customise pretty much all the cameras, so that won’t be an issue.... I need them to fix the fecking replays!
However, we’ve never had a legitimately realistic broadcast camera before as a default in which to customise. Even with optimal customisation, previous broadcast cameras have still looked un-like true to life, hence why pc mods are so prolific in this regard.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
PES 2016 was the peak and 2017/18/19 have been worse.

I also refuse to accept that it's called 'pez'.

It's Pro Evo or P.E.S.

'pez' is a thing you get on holiday with little sweets.

It'll still have 'floaty ball syndrome' and also 'this pitch is fecking massive, where the hell are the midfield' syndrome that all post-PS2 Pro Evo games have had but especially the current gen ones do.

And Becks animation doesn't look as good as the one they had for him in the PS2 era because the bits either side of the specific Becks-free kicking animation look way off. The running animations for the engine are still terrible.

I'm still a Pro Evo fan,even with the fact the game since the PS2 era has been inconsistant.
ML seems to have been upgraded this year stylistically.Having the potential to manage various clubs as Maradona,Cruyff or Zico has some novelty I guess.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I like the way Konami have released a proper gameplay video rather than a shite flicks and tricks trailer with close up zoom and fast cuts that tells you absolutely nothing about the game.

That broadcast camera angle actually looks useable for once and I'm seeing some nice new animations there too.

The menus of course look crap and they said in the video they are still working on them but I still expect the new ones to be pretty ugly. Though having said I don't really care that much about that & it's all about the gameplay and its looking good.

Last edited:

lawliet354

I grew up with PES, then betwen 12-15 I change to FIFA, but since 2016 I went back to PES and can't get back to FIFA, PES gameplay is just so much better and closer to real football. I know the UI and other aspect of it is inferior to FIFA but I only play PES offline with my brothers and friends so it never really bothers me.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
While the camera was customizable in the past it, it didn't give you enough freedom to make it truly work. I've tried getting the TV broadcast view on every PES and each time it's disappointing to find out that they don't allow you to zoom out enough and the tilt/slant is too meagre to bother with.

This has been something they should have done a long time ago. But I suppose at least it's done now.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Ah feck off, bloody shit game. Now means no Old Trafford in Fifa. Decent little earner for our leech owners, I suppose :wenger:

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
And here’s the gameplay at Old Trafford!

I say this as someone who won’t be getting either, and haven’t really bothered with either for a couple of years: that looks fecking shite. It’s 2019, why do they still manoeuvre like robots? Why are the graphics similar to PES 6’s?

LARulz

I say this as someone who won’t be getting either, and haven’t really bothered with either for a couple of years: that looks fecking shite. It’s 2019, why do they still manoeuvre like robots? Why are the graphics similar to PES 6’s?
This. I want PES to be top again but it looks like the ball and players are stuck in the mud all the time.

FIFA is just ridiculous as well but for different reasons.

My feeling is both developers have washed their hands of this gen and preparing for PS5 etc. next year or so. They won't make any major gameplay changes till then

lawliet354

Nice, if more clubs can jump ship from FIFA to PES it's even better, looks like more and more finally realized how much better PES gameplay is compared to FIFA. Ed Woodward is a genius. :wenger:

Ha

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Imho while for some stupid reason they never seem to get the running animation right in PES, the overall animation during game play (not cut scenes) is imho far better than FIFA.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I imagine this could be easily googled but why do Konami have so much trouble with licenses?

Is it literally just a cost thing?

I imagine this could be easily googled but why do Konami have so much trouble with licenses?

Is it literally just a cost thing?
Money and the fact EA have a lock-on licenses put into contracts with the PL,which (from what I remember reading on a PES fan site many moons ago) means only EA can have these licenses and no other football franchise can unless they pay over a certain amount,which KONAMI have over individual club teams in Europe.
Konami have done well in getting full licences for Eredivisie,Lique1,2 and Serie A and have the Brazilian,Argentinian League all but wrapped up with some fantastic stadiums to boot,I may add.

These are the official listings of the leagues PES had in PES2019:
They do have Serie A,and all fully kitted up teams minor Juventus,but not officially the brand.Its abit odd that one.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Well, PES still has the full UCL/EL licences. Couldn't care less about any of the lesser leagues.

And editing the PL is always fun: North London, The Potteries, Mersey Blue, Middlebrook, etc.

Yep.
I thought it would be a major loss but with the custom editing it really isn't.
Its almost practically the same.

Konami didnt take full advantage of the CL/EL rights anyway,imo.