Eight games away from another disastrous season under Ole

Michael T

Can Op be banned if we get third?
What do you mean, 'if' - I think we must be favourites for 3rd now.

I cannot understand the amount of negativity on this forum sometimes, roll on the next game I say. Brighton manager - "best team we have played this season".

Ed must have been impressed watching the game; the ball.is moving into to his court now.

BR7

Simple question. Is Ole’s CV good enough to be manager of Man Utd?
so Klopp is at Liverpool and Pep is at City? So we can’t have them managing us. I’m not saying there aren’t more experienced managers out there. But we went for Jose and we went for LVG, and that didn’t work. Throwing £100ms away in the process.

If you somehow expected OGS to be challenging for the league after 18 months, arriving season after Jose’s meltdown then that’s utterly insane, and a ridiculous argument to hit him with.

He’s got rid of crap like Lukuku, Fellaini, Valencia and Sanchez. He’s moved on Smalling and Rojo at least temporarily and Young as well. He’s changing the culture and has got the best out of Fred, McTominey, Shaw and Martial - all of which were faltering under Jose.

His signings of Ighalo, AWB, James, Maguire and Bruno have all been successful.

if you think this is just a marginal improvement, then I’m not sure we watch the same team.

Ole was a Utd legend as a player, he’s not particularly one of my favourite players - clearly there is an unbelievable conveyor belt of great players you could choose.

remind me what experience Guardiola had at Barcelona, Lampard at Chelsea, Zidane at Real? Again not comparing per se, but experience is not everything. Younger people with less experience come into management ahead of experienced people all the time - that’s a very old school way of thinking. Get over it.

we have made a great deal of progress from the foundations of the club since he’s come in.

1987 BTW is when I started supporting the club. But your attitude seems to be longevity is more important.
So we’re from the same generation of fans. I have a simple question and it’s a yes/no answer. Is Ole’s CV good enough to be manager of Man Utd?

I just don’t see us agreeing. We are so far apart in our assessments we will never agree on this one. If I didn’t consider my football hero Bryan Robson was ever good enough to manage my beloved Man Utd Ole certainly isn’t (Ole is a baby compared to Robbo as a player and manager)

I told my wife before I’d even contemplate proposing to her, she had to know the starting line up of the 83 and 85 cup final teams (‘83 replay side) along with scores and scorers, off by heart.And agreement that my first son would be called Robson.

Do not be in any doubt about my love for my club just because I want ole out. With good reasons.
so Klopp is at Liverpool and Pep is at City? So we can’t have them managing us. I’m not saying there aren’t more experienced managers out there. But we went for Jose and we went for LVG, and that didn’t work. Throwing £100ms away in the process.

If you somehow expected OGS to be challenging for the league after 18 months, arriving season after Jose’s meltdown then that’s utterly insane, and a ridiculous argument to hit him with.

He’s got rid of crap like Lukuku, Fellaini, Valencia and Sanchez. He’s moved on Smalling and Rojo at least temporarily and Young as well. He’s changing the culture and has got the best out of Fred, McTominey, Shaw and Martial - all of which were faltering under Jose.

His signings of Ighalo, AWB, James, Maguire and Bruno have all been successful.

if you think this is just a marginal improvement, then I’m not sure we watch the same team.

Ole was a Utd legend as a player, he’s not particularly one of my favourite players - clearly there is an unbelievable conveyor belt of great players you could choose.

remind me what experience Guardiola had at Barcelona, Lampard at Chelsea, Zidane at Real? Again not comparing per se, but experience is not everything. Younger people with less experience come into management ahead of experienced people all the time - that’s a very old school way of thinking. Get over it.

we have made a great deal of progress from the foundations of the club since he’s come in.

1987 BTW is when I started supporting the club. But your attitude seems to be longevity is more important.
Ok we’re from the same generation so this is interesting. I’m going to ask you two simple questions and they are only yes/no answers, if you would.

1) was ole’s CV good enough to manage Man Utd?

2) if Ole had exactly the same career as he did for us for another of the big clubs from Europe followed by the same managerial,career, would you still have backed his selection as manager?

If your answer is yes to both of the above you’re wearing an ole shirt to bed.

Robson is a legend, Ferdinand is a legend, Giggs is a legend, Scholes is a legend, Charlton is a legend, best is a legend, Rooney is a legend, Ole has a legendary goal. Big difference. He is more a hero to me than a legend.

My managers are shouters I don’t like managers who are as wet as he is, it’s a personal preference for me, I’ve found as a player and as a football fan over the years that’s what works best in my head. I was annoyed as hell when he called shouting managers from the dark ages when it was our aggressive shouting Scots who made our club’s history. It was an insult and I got jumped on by the ole in brigade for saying it when he uttered the rubbish.

So i’ll Say it again. Someone with that CV cannot and will not be talking about our great successful managers who actually EARNED the right to manage this legendary club. Ole, you gots ta go. Go learn your trade, win something of note with a biggish club and then come to the biggest. Ya ain’t ready yet

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

So we’re from the same generation of fans. I have a simple question and it’s a yes/no answer. Is Ole’s CV good enough to be manager of Man Utd?

I just don’t see us agreeing. We are so far apart in our assessments we will never agree on this one. If I didn’t consider my football hero Bryan Robson was ever good enough to manage my beloved Man Utd Ole certainly isn’t (Ole is a baby compared to Robbo as a player and manager)

I told my wife before I’d even contemplate proposing to her, she had to know the starting line up of the 83 and 85 cup final teams (‘83 replay side) along with scores and scorers, off by heart.And agreement that my first son would be called Robson.

Do not be in any doubt about my love for my club just because I want ole out. With good reasons.

Ok we’re from the same generation so this is interesting. I’m going to ask you two simple questions and they are only yes/no answers, if you would.

2) if Ole had exactly the same career as he did for us for another of the big clubs from Europe followed by the same managerial,career, would you still have backed his selection as manager?

Robson is a legend, Ferdinand is a legend, Giggs is a legend, Scholes is a legend, Charlton is a legend, best is a legend, Rooney is a legend, Ole has a legendary goal. Big difference. He is more a hero to me than a legend.

My managers are shouters I don’t like managers who are as wet as he is, it’s a personal preference for me, I’ve found as a player and as a football fan over the years that’s what works best in my head. I was annoyed as hell when he called shouting managers from the dark ages when it was our aggressive shouting Scots who made our club’s history. It was an insult and I got jumped on by the ole in brigade for saying it when he uttered the rubbish.

So i’ll Say it again. Someone with that CV cannot and will not be talking about our great successful managers who actually EARNED the right to manage this legendary club. Ole, you gots ta go. Go learn your trade, win something of note with a biggish club and then come to the biggest. Ya ain’t ready yet
:houllier:

ReddBalls

Mourinho and LVG's certainly was, if that is a requisite.

im not sure what happened to the post either. I can say, it’s not very good. You are from the dark ages if all you seemingly want is someone to shout and swear at the players. Players want someone they can trust

I don’t really care about what Ole did previously. The like of Conti, Ancelotti have better CVs - would I want them as manager, no.

how good were the CVs of Lampard or Pep at Barca or Zidane at Real? It really doesn’t matter what they’ve done previously. We’ve made those mistakes with LVG and Jose.

let’s look at what’s happening NOW.

we are on the up, and it’s enjoyable to watch for the first time in years.

if you want to be a grumpy old git, then so be it - I’ll sit back and enjoy watching the club progress and get better.

Tyrion

im not sure what happened to the post either. I can say, it’s not very good. You are from the dark ages if all you seemingly want is someone to shout and swear at the players. Players want someone they can trust

I don’t really care about what Ole did previously. The like of Conti, Ancelotti have better CVs - would I want them as manager, no.

how good were the CVs of Lampard or Pep at Barca or Zidane at Real? It really doesn’t matter what they’ve done previously. We’ve made those mistakes with LVG and Jose.

let’s look at what’s happening NOW.

we are on the up, and it’s enjoyable to watch for the first time in years.

if you want to be a grumpy old git, then so be it - I’ll sit back and enjoy watching the club progress and get better.
By that logic, next time we have a poor 4/5 games, OGS should be sacked.

lysglimt

Scout

Have you earned the right to be promoted from Newbie ? No - and I hope it stays that way

beycont

What an absolutely epic post. :lol:

Halftrack

The hell are you on about? Ferguson himself is on record saying that being aggressive and shouty isn't really a workable anymore, and that he changed with the times to become more mellow and measured in his approach, tailoring it to individuals. Players, current and former, who know them both are also on record saying Ole is very similar to Ferguson in how he interacts with his squad. He's not one to hold back when he's unhappy, and is not afraid to be aggressive and shouty if that's what the situation calls for.

montpelier

The state of the defending today though.

I want him gone. Woodplank will see sense on Monday hopefully.

Acquire Me

:lol: :houllier:

mu4c_20le

This is a pisstake surely?

arthurka

This club has not since Fergie retired had a better outlook for the future. Ole is on the right way and you can clearly see a formidable group of players forming a very solid team. Starting to break down deep lying defences and playing the better teams has never been a problem for him..

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

Yes

Devil81

The state of the defending today though.

I want him gone. Woodplank will see sense on Monday hopefully.
Please don't tell me you're talking about Ole?

If you are is it a wind-up or something as he's doing a fantastic job of rebuilding the club.

Amarsdd

what an absolute load of shite this post is.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Ole has the team performing better than at any time during the period between SAF's retirement and the present day, a period that included two of the games supposed great managers LVG and Jose.

How do you explain that?

RedDevilRoshi

LVG & Mourinho had very impressive CV’s and look how they turned out?

Folk like yourself would have no doubt been calling for Sir Alex to have been sacked in the 80’s when we initially struggled in his early tenure.

Let’s not forget Ole assembled a f****** mess of a squad that was totally low on confidence and seemed to have a fear of playing for this club. The football on display was bloody atrocious to watch. We had so many deadwood players in the team that the previous manager deemed as 1st choice. There was no real excitement or buzz when a Man Utd matchday was coming up. One of those that you ain’t fussed if you missed the game because it would be the same old negative boring football that our club is not accustomed too. Teams that you’d expect us to shaft where going into fixtures against us believing they could get something against us as there was nothing to fear for them.

Look at us now. For the first time since Sir Alex retired, we are looking like a team that is on the up and we look like we will be a force again very soon. The football on display is virtually night and day to what’s been served under Moyes, LVG & Mourinho (the latter two having world class “CV’s” as you touched on in your post when you were asking if Ole’s CV is good enough to manage us). I didn’t want today’s game to end as the attacking football was just a joy to watch. It was very enjoyable and that’s something I haven’t said for quite some time. There is now a buzz when a Man Utd game is coming up. I’m gutted that we need to wait 5 days now for our next game. That is another thing I haven’t said in a very long time! The players are playing with a smile on their faces again which is fantastic to see. The most important thing is they have belief in the manager and you can see that in their play. Ole also has a good eye in the transfer market with the signings he has made improving the team. Ole has shipped out some of the deadwood with more most likely to be let go i.e. Lingard, Pereira who both have hardly even played since football returned from lockdown. We’ve got the nucleus of a very good young team that just needs 2-3 additions in a few areas. He isnt afraid to give youngsters an opportunity if they are good enough. You can see what Ole is trying to implement. Basically make us a winning machine again like we were under Fergie and get the fear factor back that has been lost. Make us a team that every time we attack, the opposition are going to struggle to keep us out. He’s doing a very good job at re-building this club and has my full backing regardless of what his CV reads before he landed the job.

Last edited:

montpelier

Please don't tell me you're talking about Ole?

If you are is it a wind-up or something as he's doing a fantastic job of rebuilding the club.
Wind up.

I did try to give a couple of clues, honestly.

But I read stuff that is OBVIOUSLY a wind up and then a page later you find it isn't. The extremes and the knee jerk reactions on here are ridiculous.

Tyrion

Ole has the team performing better than at any time during the period between SAF's retirement and the present day, a period that included two of the games supposed great managers LVG and Jose.

How do you explain that?
I think people have fairly short memories. We finished second under Mourinho and did have good performances under LVG. Both eventually went downhill and that was subsequently forgotten about. Now we're playing well and the poor performances earlier in the season under OGS have been forgotten about with anyone disagreeing or having a lack of faith in a manager whose top level experience is relegation gets dismissed.

Rish Sawhney

Yes its pretty similar to Pep and Zidane before they got their jobs at Barca and Real respectively.

No but I would understand if that club hired him as manager. Clubs are organizations and its not unusual for organizations to often promote from within. An employee can rise to manager and executive roles, so why can't an ex-player become a reserve team coach to first team manager?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

The state of this post

Matriac

I think people have fairly short memories. We finished second under Mourinho and did have good performances under LVG. Both eventually went downhill and that was subsequently forgotten about. Now we're playing well and the poor performances earlier in the season under OGS have been forgotten about with anyone disagreeing or having a lack of faith in a manager whose top level experience is relegation gets dismissed.
Never felt like we played well under any of them. Had some half-decent results at times, but never entertaining football like now.

You can see in the stats that are posted these days about winning runs post Fergie, Mou's long runs with us and Chelsea had very few goals scored compared to what we are doing now.

Had Mou been in charge today we would have swapped to a more defensive formation after going up 2-1, at halftime (3-1) we would swap out Pogba for another CB.
Though more likely is we would have been all defensive and struggle all game to get the equalizer. This game would probably have ended 2-2.

Even when we came 2nd we never looked like we could challenge. Now people believe we can challenge already next year.

I spend most of the week looking forward to the match now, unlike maybe just on the day pre-Ole. Our football is fun af to watch. Today we started badly, but after 10mins I was never in doubt. I always knew we would get plenty of goal-scoring opportunities and we'd get back into the game to win!

(Ps: my final post of the day so can't reply now if you answer me)

Reactions: jojojo

montpelier

I don't mind a lack of faith so much as the lack of fairness. I don't have massive faith in him. I had a lot less when we lost 0-2 to Burnley and thought he was probably going to go at the end of the season at the latest and deservedly so.

But now, it's different isn't it? Except for you lot it isn't, which flies against what most of us are seeing now AND this run of results.

If we don't make Top 4... etc.

And further, barring a catastrophic ending he WILL now be starting next year definitely and will have done enough probably (for most of us) to be getting our support like would normally happen from normally optimistic footy fans.

But not you lot.

Keefy18

Was Zidane's CV good enough to manage Real?

Was Pep's good enough to manage Barca?

Before you post some utter nonsense I'll point out ZZ was a coach at Real Madrid's B team and Pep had a single feckin season where he won the league and was given the first team job.

So, Ole had a better CV coming into United than ZZ & Pep had at Real and Barca.

It's a really stupid point to make.

Revan

Assumptionman
Was Zidane's CV good enough to manage Real?

Was Pep's good enough to manage Barca?

Before you post some utter nonsense I'll point out ZZ was a coach at Real Madrid's B team and Pep had a single feckin season where he won the league and was given the first team job.

So, Ole had a better CV coming into United than ZZ & Pep had at Real and Barca.

It's a really stupid point to make.
To be fair, Zidane and Pep were unproven, while Ole had a massive failure on his CV. Also, for every Zidane there are 10 failures.

Using the Zidane/Pep argument is like expecting every academy player to become world-class cause Giggs did so.

ReddBalls

To be fair, Zidane and Pep were unproven, while Ole had a massive failure on his CV. Also, for every Zidane there are 10 failures.

Using the Zidane/Pep argument is like expecting every academy player to become world-class cause Giggs did so.
Not really. It just shows that you don't need to have a big CV to be a great manager.

Keefy18

That isn't actually fair cause Ole's CV was better. He'd at least managed at a top European league and he also had success in Norway, which is more than the other two had.

It wasn't me who made the point originally it was another poster suggesting Ole's CV wasn't good enough, well if that's the case then Pep & ZZ were certainly nowhere near good enough for Real and Barca!

Revan

Assumptionman
That isn't actually for cause Ole's CV was better. He'd at least managed at a top European league and he also had success in Norway, which is more than the other two had.

It wasn't me who made the point originally it was another poster suggesting Ole's CV wasn't good enough, well if that's the case then Pep & ZZ were certainly nowhere near good enough for Real and Barca!
I think that the argument is that Pep and Zidane were unproven, while Ole was a proven failure. I don't necessarily agree, Klopp relegated Mainz after all, so shit happens.

Still, I totally agree that Ole's CV was not good for United. Neither was Zidane's and Pep's for Real and Barca. Just cause it worked there, it does not mean that it will work here. And in general, typically most managers fail. Hiring a top manager in general is more likely to result in better overall performance than hiring a noobie manager. Of course, exceptions exist.

Finally, Pep won everything on his first season. When Zidane got Madrid, they were pretty bad. He won UCL in that half season. In the next season, he won both UCL and the league.

Comparing Ole to them in any form is a bit ridiculous. He might show to be a competent manager, or may be a failure here, but Pep and Zidane are already all time greats.

Tel074

What a crazy post ...... The question should be are you good enough to be allowed to post on this forum and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying definitely not .

Revan

Assumptionman
What a crazy post ...... The question should be are you good enough to be allowed to post on this forum and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying definitely not .
What is not to like on constraining a marriage on the knowledge of knowing the United lineup and its scorers in 85' season?