Eight games away from another disastrous season under Ole

fps

Simple question. Is Ole’s CV good enough to be manager of Man Utd?

So we’re from the same generation of fans. I have a simple question and it’s a yes/no answer. Is Ole’s CV good enough to be manager of Man Utd?

I just don’t see us agreeing. We are so far apart in our assessments we will never agree on this one. If I didn’t consider my football hero Bryan Robson was ever good enough to manage my beloved Man Utd Ole certainly isn’t (Ole is a baby compared to Robbo as a player and manager)

I told my wife before I’d even contemplate proposing to her, she had to know the starting line up of the 83 and 85 cup final teams (‘83 replay side) along with scores and scorers, off by heart.And agreement that my first son would be called Robson.

Do not be in any doubt about my love for my club just because I want ole out. With good reasons.

Ok we’re from the same generation so this is interesting. I’m going to ask you two simple questions and they are only yes/no answers, if you would.

1) was ole’s CV good enough to manage Man Utd?

2) if Ole had exactly the same career as he did for us for another of the big clubs from Europe followed by the same managerial,career, would you still have backed his selection as manager?

If your answer is yes to both of the above you’re wearing an ole shirt to bed.

Robson is a legend, Ferdinand is a legend, Giggs is a legend, Scholes is a legend, Charlton is a legend, best is a legend, Rooney is a legend, Ole has a legendary goal. Big difference. He is more a hero to me than a legend.

My managers are shouters I don’t like managers who are as wet as he is, it’s a personal preference for me, I’ve found as a player and as a football fan over the years that’s what works best in my head. I was annoyed as hell when he called shouting managers from the dark ages when it was our aggressive shouting Scots who made our club’s history. It was an insult and I got jumped on by the ole in brigade for saying it when he uttered the rubbish.

So i’ll Say it again. Someone with that CV cannot and will not be talking about our great successful managers who actually EARNED the right to manage this legendary club. Ole, you gots ta go. Go learn your trade, win something of note with a biggish club and then come to the biggest. Ya ain’t ready yet
Yeah, like Zidane, and Pep. I'm not saying Ole is actually like them as a manager, but by your logic neither should ever have been given their posts at Madrid or Barcelona.

IceDevil

What do you mean, 'if' - I think we must be favourites for 3rd now.

I cannot understand the amount of negativity on this forum sometimes, roll on the next game I say. Brighton manager - "best team we have played this season".

Ed must have been impressed watching the game; the ball.is moving into to his court now.
Imagine Madrid or Barca not sticking with Zidane or Pep, things would be very different.

We should stick with Ole, he has shown he has what it takes to manage a proper team. Things are looking really good now finally.

Steve 007

So we’re from the same generation of fans. I have a simple question and it’s a yes/no answer. Is Ole’s CV good enough to be manager of Man Utd?

I just don’t see us agreeing. We are so far apart in our assessments we will never agree on this one. If I didn’t consider my football hero Bryan Robson was ever good enough to manage my beloved Man Utd Ole certainly isn’t (Ole is a baby compared to Robbo as a player and manager)

I told my wife before I’d even contemplate proposing to her, she had to know the starting line up of the 83 and 85 cup final teams (‘83 replay side) along with scores and scorers, off by heart.And agreement that my first son would be called Robson.

Do not be in any doubt about my love for my club just because I want ole out. With good reasons.

Ok we’re from the same generation so this is interesting. I’m going to ask you two simple questions and they are only yes/no answers, if you would.

2) if Ole had exactly the same career as he did for us for another of the big clubs from Europe followed by the same managerial,career, would you still have backed his selection as manager?

Robson is a legend, Ferdinand is a legend, Giggs is a legend, Scholes is a legend, Charlton is a legend, best is a legend, Rooney is a legend, Ole has a legendary goal. Big difference. He is more a hero to me than a legend.

My managers are shouters I don’t like managers who are as wet as he is, it’s a personal preference for me, I’ve found as a player and as a football fan over the years that’s what works best in my head. I was annoyed as hell when he called shouting managers from the dark ages when it was our aggressive shouting Scots who made our club’s history. It was an insult and I got jumped on by the ole in brigade for saying it when he uttered the rubbish.

So i’ll Say it again. Someone with that CV cannot and will not be talking about our great successful managers who actually EARNED the right to manage this legendary club. Ole, you gots ta go. Go learn your trade, win something of note with a biggish club and then come to the biggest. Ya ain’t ready yet
Is Ole a legend after scoring one goal in a very important game? No but he is after playing 366 games for us and scoring 126 goals over 11 years.

Does he have the managerial cv after managing Molde? Did SAF have the CV after managing Aberdeen? You can only win with the players and circumstances you have. Potentially we now have the best team since Fergie. Let’s not forget that Klopp finished 7th in his first year and that two very successful managers have tried and failed despite their C.V.
If anyone isn’t extremely pleased with how we are doing since the PL restart you should go support Liverpool.

Revan

Assumptionman
Imagine Madrid or Barca not sticking with Zidane or Pep, things would be very different.

We should stick with Ole, he has shown he has what it takes to manage a proper team. Things are looking really good now finally.
Why they should not have stocked with them, when they looked the best team in the world since they became managers?

Keefy18

I think that the argument is that Pep and Zidane were unproven, while Ole was a proven failure. I don't necessarily agree, Klopp relegated Mainz after all, so shit happens.
But he wasn't a proven failure though. He won leagues?

His stint at Cardiff is completely misrepresented.

He took over a club completely in turmoil already in a relegation dog fight, a board at each others throats, an owner and other board members in legal disputes and the owner in a feud with its supporters....his short stint there was par for the course in that he won I think only 2 fewer points than MacKay did up to that point.

Still, I totally agree that Ole's CV was not good for United. Neither was Zidane's and Pep's for Real and Barca. Just cause it worked there, it does not mean that it will work here. And in general, typically most managers fail. Hiring a top manager in general is more likely to result in better overall performance than hiring a noobie manager. Of course, exceptions exist.
Never said it would, but doesn't mean he should unequivocally should be shunned either. I think what made it easier him coming in was years of under performance having tried different types of managers. Moyes wasn't suitable at all, nowhere near good enough and was a mistake from the get go. LVG I think had the right idea in terms of rebuilding and focusing on youth, I mean its basically what Ole is doing now too isn't it? Jose for me was never right.

Finally, Pep won everything on his first season. When Zidane got Madrid, they were pretty bad. He won UCL in that half season. In the next season, he won both UCL and the league.

Comparing Ole to them in any form is a bit ridiculous. He might show to be a competent manager, or may be a failure here, but Pep and Zidane are already all time greats.
Comparing Ole to them is not ridiculous at all.

If you compare when Ole got the United job his CV read:

3 Trophies with United Reserves ( already better than both Pep and ZZ based on their respective main clubs)​
Relegated with Cardiff​
2 Norwegian League titles and Norway Cup.​

ZZ in 2016: (2 years with Real's B team as a coach) - Won nothing. He was actually so under qualified he didn't even have his coaching badges and was reported for this.

Pep in 2008: (1 season where he won the league for the B team in the 3rd division, not sure of the structure of the leagues there but I believe that is the case).

And in fairness as well, Ole took over a club in far worse shape than anything ZZ & Pep walked into and La Liga has been a two horse race for decades now with only 3 different league winners in 20 years roughly.

Steve 007

Why they should not have stocked with them, when they looked the best team in the world since they became managers?
But we looked crap when Ole come in due to
Years of poor recruitment and management, it’s a completely different scenario.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think people have fairly short memories. We finished second under Mourinho and did have good performances under LVG. Both eventually went downhill and that was subsequently forgotten about. Now we're playing well and the poor performances earlier in the season under OGS have been forgotten about with anyone disagreeing or having a lack of faith in a manager whose top level experience is relegation gets dismissed.
The consistent quality performances this current United side is displaying are not comparable to the false dawns witnessed under Jose and LVG. Many notable differences qualify Ole's United as more than the false hope offered to us by the previously mentioned, such as the attacking, winning mentality the manager has instilled in the team. There's a togetherness, a hunger, a desire to push themselves to the limit. Every single member of the team shares that same unbreakable mindset too. There's nothing more deadly in football than a young, talented squad desperate to win at all costs, and that's what this lot shows us every week.

But the main differences between now and then is the emergence of Greenwood who has been expertly handled all season by the manager, the purchase of Bruno and his partnership with Pogba, Fred coming good under Ole and, along with Mctominay, practically carrying the team when it was at its lowest ebb this season, Martial scoring for fun, Rashford tearing it up, Matic rediscovering his old form, the purchases of AWB and Maguire who have been rock solid all season, the emergence of Williams and a whole host of academy grads desperate to make the breakthrough, oh, and the 16 games unbeaten streak in the league that, based on current form, could easily extend into the following season.

Also, by winning the FA and EL Cups, Ole would have equaled his predecessor's accomplishments in his first full season in charge.

Revan

Assumptionman
The consistent quality performances this current United side is displaying are not comparable to the false dawns witnessed under Jose and LVG. Many notable differences qualify Ole's United as more than the false hope offered to us by the previously mentioned, such as the attacking, winning mentality the manager has instilled in the team. There's a togetherness, a hunger, a desire to push themselves to the limit. Every single member of the team shares that same unbreakable mindset too. There's nothing more deadly in football than a young, talented squad desperate to win at all costs, and that's what this lot shows us every week.

But the main differences between now and then is the emergence of Greenwood who has been expertly handled all season by the manager, the purchase of Bruno and his partnership with Pogba, Fred coming good under Ole and, along with Mctominay, practically carrying the team when it was at its lowest ebb this season, Martial scoring for fun, Rashford tearing it up, Matic rediscovering his old form, the purchases of AWB and Maguire who have been rock solid all season, the emergence of Williams and a whole host of academy grads desperate to make the breakthrough, oh, and the 16 games unbeaten streak in the league that, based on current form, could easily extend into the following season.

Also, by winning the FA and EL Cups, Ole would have equaled his predecessor's accomplishments in his first full season in charge.
Do you work for MUTV?

Tyrion

Never felt like we played well under any of them. Had some half-decent results at times, but never entertaining football like now.

You can see in the stats that are posted these days about winning runs post Fergie, Mou's long runs with us and Chelsea had very few goals scored compared to what we are doing now.

Had Mou been in charge today we would have swapped to a more defensive formation after going up 2-1, at halftime (3-1) we would swap out Pogba for another CB.
Though more likely is we would have been all defensive and struggle all game to get the equalizer. This game would probably have ended 2-2.

Even when we came 2nd we never looked like we could challenge. Now people believe we can challenge already next year.

I spend most of the week looking forward to the match now, unlike maybe just on the day pre-Ole. Our football is fun af to watch. Today we started badly, but after 10mins I was never in doubt. I always knew we would get plenty of goal-scoring opportunities and we'd get back into the game to win!

(Ps: my final post of the day so can't reply now if you answer me)
Fair enough. I have serious doubts we can challenge for the title but hope I'm wrong.

I don't mind a lack of faith so much as the lack of fairness. I don't have massive faith in him. I had a lot less when we lost 0-2 to Burnley and thought he was probably going to go at the end of the season at the latest and deservedly so.

But now, it's different isn't it? Except for you lot it isn't, which flies against what most of us are seeing now AND this run of results.

If we don't make Top 4... etc.

And further, barring a catastrophic ending he WILL now be starting next year definitely and will have done enough probably (for most of us) to be getting our support like would normally happen from normally optimistic footy fans.

But not you lot.
The way you say "You lot" is pretty funny. A bit snide but still funny.

I think you're reading too much into the mindset. We cant read their minds. We can only judge on results and they were poor until Bruno joined. OGS previous results in the league were poor.

Also, the only difference between what we're seeing now and the previous "false dawns" are that the previous false dawns didnt last and this may not. I hope it does but I dont see much to suggest the management can make it last.

I understand fans tend to be bitchy with "negative" fans but you guys get that you can want the team to win and be sceptical in the management?

Foxbatt

I still do not think he is the one to win us the PL or CL. I still think he does not have to the nous to do so. Given that also our players are also not world class in most departments. But should we replace him for the next season? Not if we wins every match this season and get us into the CL or wins a trophy. Yes we may also miss the CL spot this season but the few remaining games are decisive and we may lose points too but it depends on how we play and what tactical decisions he makes. To me he is more rigid than I would like. SAF was very flexible and to him it depends on the opposition and Ole should do the same. When he needs to strengthen the midfield play an extra midfield player like Fred.

montpelier

Fair enough. I have serious doubts we can challenge for the title but hope I'm wrong.

The way you say "You lot" is pretty funny. A bit snide but still funny.

I think you're reading too much into the mindset. We cant read their minds. We can only judge on results and they were poor until Bruno joined. OGS previous results in the league were poor.

I understand fans tend to be bitchy with "negative" fans but you guys get that you can want the team to win and be sceptical in the management?
Well...

You'd be right, probably. But 'you lot' is better than 'brigade' and so on, which I'm sick of reading as soon as anyone wants to do the group labelling of bad guys - other subjects I mean really.

But here, I do think you're the bad guys, actually. And I don't understand why, tbh.

Which your last para covers well, tbf. If I take that on board, I will backtrack to saying you sound like the bad guys.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Do you work for MUTV?
Yes.

It's fun.

Also, the only difference between what we're seeing now and the previous "false dawns" are that the previous false dawns didnt last and this may not. I hope it does but I dont see much to suggest the management can make it last.

I don't think I'm reading too much into anything, just relaying what I feel when I watch the current United side under Ole. I didn't see any of those previously described traits in our players under Jose and LVG.

Another major difference between now and then is the harmony within the squad under Ole, which was never there under Jose and LVG. I always felt we were a team of individuals under those guys, but under Ole, we look like a cohesive unit with a singular mindset, a strong one at that.

I wasn't trying to be bitchy, mate. Just arguing your point, that's all :)

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Yes.

It's fun.

I don't think I'm reading too much into anything, just relaying what I feel when I watch the current United side under Ole. I didn't see any of those previously described traits in our players under Jose and LVG.

Another major difference between now and then is the harmony within the squad under Ole, which was never there under Jose and LVG. I always felt we were a team of individuals under those guys, but under Ole, we look like a cohesive unit with a singular mindset, a strong one at that.

I love this, I agree, I see actual personality in this side that Bruno has unlocked. I’m interested to see how this side bounces back from a defeat or two, because that’s when we see the metal.

Tyrion

Yes.

It's fun.

Theres definitely more harmony. Both LVG and especially Jose could be brutal.

Sorry. I wasnt saying you were. I've just noticed a few posts saying newbies whose criticise OGS shouldn't be promoted or posters that post these kinds of threads should be banned. Similar stuff happened before when the forum turned against Moyes, LVG and Mourinho. It's like when a certain portion of the forum takes one side on the manager of the ttim, some people can be quite insulting towards the other. You've been grand though so I should've been clearer.

Greck

I still do not think he is the one to win us the PL or CL. I still think he does not have to the nous to do so. Given that also our players are also not world class in most departments. But should we replace him for the next season? Not if we wins every match this season and get us into the CL or wins a trophy. Yes we may also miss the CL spot this season but the few remaining games are decisive and we may lose points too but it depends on how we play and what tactical decisions he makes. To me he is more rigid than I would like. SAF was very flexible and to him it depends on the opposition and Ole should do the same. When he needs to strengthen the midfield play an extra midfield player like Fred.
Neither do I although I know there are people who wouldn't trade him for Klopp right now and can understand their optimism.

IceDevil

That's what I'm saying? I don't get why you thought I'm saying the opposite

Revan

Assumptionman
That's what I'm saying? I don't get why you thought I'm saying the opposite
My point is that we haven't looked anywhere as good as those teams, and Ole is nowhere as good as those managers. The comparison is meaningless.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Needed a dodgy pen and two low xG shots from outside the box to bail him out last night. One of these days his luck will run out.

Member 113277

Needed a dodgy pen and two low xG shots from outside the box to bail him out last night. One of these days his luck will run out.
Just set an EPL record for 4 consecutive games where we beat opposition by three clear goals, long unbeaten run, happy squad, motivated players, good signings, well integrated into the team, deadwood being pruned.

PS: low xG shots flawlessly performed by world class players - that's what world class players do. Both clean as a whistle and went where intended.

But don't let this sway your anti Ole agenda.

sport2793

Just set an EPL record for 4 consecutive games where we beat opposition by three clear goals, long unbeaten run, happy squad, motivated players, good signings, well integrated into the team, deadwood being pruned.

PS: low xG shots flawlessly performed by world class players - that's what world class players do. Both clean as a whistle and went where intended.

He's being sarcastic.

choccy77

Sir Alex made a lot of questionable selection choices at his peak, United also lost many games against lower end sides and pretty often by a big scoreline and shocking performances.

Right now, Ole is doing what is right for this situation, the side are playing a cup final, every game and he has, no injuries, a team with confidence, a team in which, each player is trying to out do each other, but in a non selfish way and Ole, has the team stable and totally focused.

You do not maintain a streak like this, in such a critical period, without knowing what you are doing, what your players are about and by taking risks.

Gator Nate

Sir Alex made a lot of questionable selection choices at his peak, United also lost many games against lower end sides and pretty often by a big scoreline and shocking performances.

Right now, Ole is doing what is right for this situation, the side are playing a cup final, every game and he has, no injuries, a team with confidence, a team in which, each player is trying to out do each other, but in a non selfish way and Ole, has the team stable and totally focused.

You do not maintain a streak like this, in such a critical period, without knowing what you are doing, what your players are about and by taking risks.
b-b-b-but.... LUCK!

SirAnderson

:lol: :lol: how'd I miss this gem of a post!

Jezpeza

Yeah, like Zidane, and Pep. I'm not saying Ole is actually like them as a manager, but by your logic neither should ever have been given their posts at Madrid or Barcelona.
Completely right. Just typical human existence, at some point we have no real CV for a job. It doesnt mean you arent/will never be good. Extend the logic, then you’d probably have taken on Allardyce/Pardew/Dowie over Ole at the time we replaced JM. Sick of this bollocks about big name managers and CV’s. We had LVG and Mourinho back to back. fecking awful. Fans here with ten second memories i swear. Probably the two biggest CV’s out there. All that matters is whats going on out on the pitch. Right now - pretty good, and with the age of our squad etc, exciting going forward.

Charlie Foley

What the actual feck

Red00012

Br7 hasn’t been online since he posted that comment Saturday , I wonder is it possible your alerts reach a max quota ?:D

rotherham_red

He's being sarcastic :lol:

Rafaeldagold

How was he being sarcastic when saying we got a dodgy pen?
We did get a dodgy pen...

Le Red

Comparisons between Ole and Guardiola/Zidane are plain stupid.
If Ole had inherited a team filled with superstars of their generation plus one or two goats of football then we could try to make a comparison.

Bwuk

Mental how despite how shite we’ve been this season we could finish 3rd.

Bruno was worth twice what we paid for him.

RedCurry

Let’s cut OP some slack guys. This is clearly a reverse jinx post and it’s working so far!

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira

You sound like such a sad person that I feel for you.