Eight games away from another disastrous season under Ole

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Just imagine how bad of a job Ole would have done if United hadn’t scored 100 goals this season

diarm

Simple question. Is Ole’s CV good enough to be manager of Man Utd?

So we’re from the same generation of fans. I have a simple question and it’s a yes/no answer. Is Ole’s CV good enough to be manager of Man Utd?

I just don’t see us agreeing. We are so far apart in our assessments we will never agree on this one. If I didn’t consider my football hero Bryan Robson was ever good enough to manage my beloved Man Utd Ole certainly isn’t (Ole is a baby compared to Robbo as a player and manager)

I told my wife before I’d even contemplate proposing to her, she had to know the starting line up of the 83 and 85 cup final teams (‘83 replay side) along with scores and scorers, off by heart.And agreement that my first son would be called Robson.

Do not be in any doubt about my love for my club just because I want ole out. With good reasons.

Ok we’re from the same generation so this is interesting. I’m going to ask you two simple questions and they are only yes/no answers, if you would.

1) was ole’s CV good enough to manage Man Utd?

2) if Ole had exactly the same career as he did for us for another of the big clubs from Europe followed by the same managerial,career, would you still have backed his selection as manager?

If your answer is yes to both of the above you’re wearing an ole shirt to bed.

Robson is a legend, Ferdinand is a legend, Giggs is a legend, Scholes is a legend, Charlton is a legend, best is a legend, Rooney is a legend, Ole has a legendary goal. Big difference. He is more a hero to me than a legend.

My managers are shouters I don’t like managers who are as wet as he is, it’s a personal preference for me, I’ve found as a player and as a football fan over the years that’s what works best in my head. I was annoyed as hell when he called shouting managers from the dark ages when it was our aggressive shouting Scots who made our club’s history. It was an insult and I got jumped on by the ole in brigade for saying it when he uttered the rubbish.

So i’ll Say it again. Someone with that CV cannot and will not be talking about our great successful managers who actually EARNED the right to manage this legendary club. Ole, you gots ta go. Go learn your trade, win something of note with a biggish club and then come to the biggest. Ya ain’t ready yet
Bloody hell :lol:

meamth

After all this improvement, someone seriously taking CV over results. Results meaning dressing room environment, coaching, match performances, player's performances, signings, stats, What are you smoking?

Jazmodo

BREAKING News

Entire United Squad & Staff have been hospitalised due to Covid... All out for the rest of the season.

According to the Interwebs, Ole was the cause. He had dinner in Leicester (against all advice) & contracted Covid. Even knowing this, he decided to lick the heads of all Players & Coaching staff as some kind of ritualistic Nord blessing before the start of this mornings training session.

He is now under threat of deportation due to GBH, and is being fired. Black mark on his CV too, shame.

The OP was right! Ole gone & a terrible end to the season. What a nightmare...

Stretender

Stop underating Ole.He has done a tremendous job. The so called big manager Jose failed here and was building up an expensive ageing squad. Perisic this, Sanchez that, Lukaku this and Boateng that. Not a visionary manager at all. Ole fixed that and lets give him another season.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
BREAKING News

Entire United Squad & Staff have been hospitalised due to Covid... All out for the rest of the season.

According to the Interwebs, Ole was cause. He had dinner in Leicester (against all advice), and the next day, he decided to lick the heads of all Players & Coaching staff as some kind of ritualistic Nord blessing.

He is now under threat of deportation, and being fired. Black mark on his CV too, shame.

Banter, as the youth say.

432JuanMata

We could use a thread like this at the start of next season something like “38 games away from disaster under ole”.

I’m not going to lie like most people he has a poor cv before joining here and in January I felt he was out of his depth and wanted him gone but now I will give him next season even if we didn’t make top 4 as it’s good football.

I’m not a Ole lover or Ole hater I’m a united lover so what is best for the club I feel we should do I’m seeing plenty from this team so it warrants next season

Jazmodo

Banter, as the youth say.
Pretty sure the youth have progressed (regressed) to the term 'Bantz' now :lol:

We could use a thread like this at the start of next season something like “38 games away from disaster under ole”.

I’m not going to lie like most people he has a poor cv before joining here and in January I felt he was out of his depth and wanted him gone but now I will give him next season even if we didn’t make top 4 as it’s good football.

I’m not a Ole lover or Ole hater I’m a united lover so what is best for the club I feel we should do I’m seeing plenty from this team so it warrants next season
The bold part is so true. So much negativity...

We've done brilliantly since the restart - all down to Ole & managing the squad. Some teams have come back and are playing awfully.

As for loving Ole - you know you do really.

432JuanMata

Pretty sure the youth have progressed (regressed) to the term 'Bantz' now :lol:

The bold part is so true. We've done brilliantly since the restart - all down to Ole & managing the squad. Some teams have come back and are playing awfully.

As for loving Ole - you know you do really.
As a player and legend ? 10000% as a manager I look at him and ask is he doing a good job ? Right now? Absolutely so I’m all for him even without top 4

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's done a great job with his recent recruitments. Exceeded my expectation in that regard.
I'm one of the people that think if you don't have to be an exceptional manager to do a good job with an excellent squad (see: Pellegrini, Mancini, Barca after Pep <for a few years atleast>). When he became the manager, I had no expectation that he was going to be the next Sir Alex. Tactical ability and experience wise, he's far from ideal. But as long as he keeps getting new signings right and glue the squad together, he could achieve much more than his predecessors and that is what the club desperately needs right now. If the players are quality and they like him, that would be enough. Because by the end of the day, a football team is a puzzle. Once it's finished, everything is working together almost automatically. Maybe at some point, if he needs more tactical knowledge he could bring in someone else who is expert at that to level up the team even further. There's no shame in that.

POF

He's done an incredible job. United are now favourites for third place and, in reality, could have it wrapped up before the final game of the season.

If they can keep everyone fit this could be an outstanding end to the season.

Fletchageddon

Honestly if you can't enjoy this football and these results, why do you waste your time? Ole has done everything we could have asked for. He's getting rid of the rot and installing that United DNA. He's going to make these kids and this team elite.

Reactions: Sultan

lysglimt

Scout
What the actual feck
It was potentially the most romantic wedding I have ever heard...imagine the wedding wows....she starts with Bailey, Moran, Robson, Stapleton, Olsen, Strachan, Albiston, Duxbury, McGrath, Hughes and Whiteside

And you can see the disgust in his eyes...

For a second it looks like the marriage is cancelled - before she suddenly remembers that Atkinson preferred Gidman to Duxbury - and she asks ?

Did I get it right ? He replies : You do.

Will you marry me ? I do

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I don't understand why everyone feels the need to downplay Ole's tactical ability. He's already shown he's very tactically aware and Utd fans should be even more aware of that considering the shite football we have had to watch in previous seasons.

Jean claude van hire

Ole deserves credit for how he has got the team focussed for this run in. What he needs to do now is be ruthless and show the door to the players that aren't good enough. The standards for United need to be set.

georgipep

I don't understand why everyone feels the need to downplay Ole's tactical ability. He's already shown he's very tactically aware and Utd fans should be even more aware of that considering the shite football we have had to watch in previous seasons.
That's the only way they can come out with their ego undamaged. That way they were right that he's not much of a manager but still acknowledge the results.

It's somehow acceptable for the winning to be attributed to the players but the losing to the manager.

In the end it doesn't matter. The important thing is that Ole seems to have full backing of the board and I hope we never get back to the fan stupidity of chanting against the team and the players.

padzilla

Hipster
As the original poster of this thread, I have to say Ole has managed things superbly since Bruno was brought in. We look like an outstanding team, a few questions remain for me though - how will the side respond to a bad result, previously under Ole one bad result is the catalyst for a complete collapse in form but I'm confident that won't be the case because we seem to have grown in mental strength, there are doubts too if we get an injury to key players that the squad players aren't of a sufficient standard to keep up the level we have set for ourselves. That's why this summer is crucial in terms of recruitment, if we get it right we have every reason to be positive about the immediate future - it's been a long time since we could say that.

sport2793

Ole deserves credit for how he has got the team focussed for this run in. What he needs to do now is be ruthless and show the door to the players that aren't good enough. The standards for United need to be set.
Hes already done that, the list is quite numerous so soon into his tenure.

Web of Bissaka

I think up until this point, can't say it's a disastrous season.
It's also not a great season, but just okay.

Winning one of the cups would make it better, winning both will turn it into a good season.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
So Ole good enough or not? What does everyone think? Ha ha ha
No, he has 'orrible CV, unlike previous managers we had, or Ploch, relegated Mainz, ooh snap, I mean Cardiff, won some trophies with some Moldy club from some country, somewhere, hmm, in Europe I think. He smiles a lot, which is awful, I 'd prefered him to have a baseball bat next to him in the technical area, but hey, can't have everything... I could go on, but have to learn all the names of '83 team (replay of course) so I can propose my self.. Life sucks.

RedNed77

As the original poster of this thread, I have to say Ole has managed things superbly since Bruno was brought in. We look like an outstanding team, a few questions remain for me though - how will the side respond to a bad result, previously under Ole one bad result is the catalyst for a complete collapse in form but I'm confident that won't be the case because we seem to have grown in mental strength, there are doubts too if we get an injury to key players that the squad players aren't of a sufficient standard to keep up the level we have set for ourselves. That's why this summer is crucial in terms of recruitment, if we get it right we have every reason to be positive about the immediate future - it's been a long time since we could say that.
Bruno. He’s the only player we have who I fancy to grab a game by the scruff of its neck if it’s not going well. We need another personality like that in the team. If we lost him to injury for any length of time, I’d be genuinely concerned. One of those three positions in the team we are looking at, CB, CDM or RW needs to be filled with an experienced and positive personality.

James Peril

BREAKING News

According to the Interwebs, Ole was the cause. He had dinner in Leicester (against all advice) & contracted Covid. Even knowing this, he decided to lick the heads of all Players & Coaching staff as some kind of ritualistic Nord blessing before the start of this mornings training session.

He is now under threat of deportation due to GBH, and is being fired. Black mark on his CV too, shame.

The frightening thing is that you belived this was funny when you wrote it, fecking hell.

Adamsk7

Ole has done an incredible job so far. Let’s look at his tenure.

Joined the club and went on an amazing unbeaten run where we played some good football, culminating in that night in Paris. He asked players who had been playing quite passive football under Jose to start pressing from the front and outrunning opponents. The squad ran out of steam towards a charge for top four and the lack of quality and maturity showed.

During preseason his rebuild could start. Got rid of as many of the players he thought were a negative influence or wanted away as possible, even though he knew it may leave us short. Brought in Maguire, Wan Bissaka, James and from what we can gather, wanted a no.10 as well.
Ole wanted to implement a high press and again set about on improving our fitness as well as the mentality of the club. We had some teething issues and the squad often looked like a group of individuals rather than a team. Pogba got injured early on and remained so.

as the season progressed, players started to improve. Fred and McT gained confidence and looked a good partnership, Maguire became Captain and took a leadership role and Rashford and Martial were having their best seasons in positions that favoured their skills more. Ole showed faith in youth and brought through Mason Greenwood and Brandon Williams gradually.
January arrived and our upturn continued with Matic playing himself in to good form now too, allowing us to have more support for our back four. The real change in this period of course was the arrival of Bruno Fernandes, who seemed like a huge piece of the puzzle and finally we could see how Ole wanted to play. His good work on character building and fitness was paying off and Bruno the catalyst for the attacking play. Greenwood and Martial thrived in front of such a playmaker, yet Rashford gets injured. Odion Ighalo comes in on loan and chips in with some goals from the bench.

Lockdown starts and ends and our players come back looking like the only team that bothered to get on the bike or treadmill during the downtime. Pogba and Rashford return and the impact of having both Bruno and Pogba in the same team, a now settled (and good!) defence, an exciting front three coupled with the Matic or old and real options from the bench causes us to continue our unbeaten run to 17 games, steamrolling over teams and becoming the first team in Premier League history to win four games in a row by three goals or more. Our rival fans start to call Bruno “Penandes” after he wins Player of the month, third place in in our hands, a cup semi with Chelsea beckons and we get a favourable draw in the Europa league knock outs.

How can anyone look at that and not respect the man for the job he has done, regardless of what the immediate next chapter brings. I am happy to have him as our manager and look forward to his continued rebuild next season.

Web of Bissaka

Bruno. He’s the only player we have who I fancy to grab a game by the scruff of its neck if it’s not going well. We need another personality like that in the team. If we lost him to injury for any length of time, I’d be genuinely concerned. One of those three positions in the team we are looking at, CB, CDM or RW needs to be filled with an experienced and positive personality.
I think we can also describe Rashford with that.
Who has similar talent, right temperament and consistency in doing that.

Martial and Pogba for me tend to be more moody but definitelyhave the talent to do that.

While McT and few others are more consistent and has the right temperament, they lack the talent to be honest.

SteveW

He's done a great job with his recent recruitments. Exceeded my expectation in that regard.
I'm one of the people that think if you don't have to be an exceptional manager to do a good job with an excellent squad (see: Pellegrini, Mancini, Barca after Pep <for a few years atleast>). When he became the manager, I had no expectation that he was going to be the next Sir Alex. Tactical ability and experience wise, he's far from ideal. But as long as he keeps getting new signings right and glue the squad together, he could achieve much more than his predecessors and that is what the club desperately needs right now. If the players are quality and they like him, that would be enough. Because by the end of the day, a football team is a puzzle. Once it's finished, everything is working together almost automatically. Maybe at some point, if he needs more tactical knowledge he could bring in someone else who is expert at that to level up the team even further. There's no shame in that.
What's wrong with his tactics?

ZupZup

What's wrong with his tactics?
People with zero coaching experience will post on the Caf about how Ole’s tactically not good enough. Despite how well we actually play or any clear evidence to the contrary. He’ll always be a glorified PE teacher to them... if we win trophies, they will be won despite having Ole, never because of him.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything

I'm not sure, Ole, much like Sir Alex, Arsene Wenger, Harry Redknapp and these old school managers do much coaching. Blaming Ole for lack of coaching ideas is not understanding his role. All aspects of day to day running of the football side from coaching, fitness, science, buying and selling players is usually a joint decision with specialists employed for these specific roles and his trust of these people to do right. Training, coaching and selection for specific games are discussed around a table on a daily basis. Ole's task is to knit all the above together and make sure it works well.

The club has a busload of specialists for specific roles and it's ultimately Ole's responsibility to hire these specialists. Yes, you can blame Ole if he chooses the wrong personnel for these tasks. However, to blame Ole for lack of coaching or not having the tactical ability is something of a guess without knowing what goes on within the inner circle of the club's footballing structure.

MalcolmTucker

Tactical ability and experience wise, he's far from ideal .... Maybe at some point, if he needs more tactical knowledge he could bring in someone else who is expert at that to level up the team even further. There's no shame in that.
Go on, explain how his tactical ability is far from ideal.

Surely his record against the top 6; against the likes of Pep, Klopp, Mourinho and Poch is evidence enough that he's tactically estute.

This is before we had all our best players fit, using the likes of Lingard and Pereira to beat some of the managers in the world. Are you just plucking this 'tactical ability' out of your arse because that's exactly how it reads so I'd be interested in a full explanation of your position.

fps

Honestly if you can't enjoy this football and these results, why do you waste your time? Ole has done everything we could have asked for. He's getting rid of the rot and installing that United DNA. He's going to make these kids and this team elite.
Unfortunately some people feel that United’s successes and achievements are actually genuinely their own successes and achievements. Every win is their own victory, every loss their own loss. Those people can’t enjoy football, even football as good as this, unless their club is winning lots of trophies.

So obvious United are finally going in the right direction and I’m loving the goals in the team, even in third gear there are game changers everywhere.