Eight games away from another disastrous season under Ole

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
We have an identity, we have direction, and that feel good factor has returned. This was always going to be a season for rebuilding. Anyone who expected anything different was delusional.

Overwhelmingly, our biggest issue has been breaking teams down. We've dominated every facet of a game and come away with a draw or a loss because we've look insipid in the final third. We gambled on Pogba being fit for the majority of the season and investing elsewhere. We got unlucky there. But now we've got Pogba back and brought in Bruno, we've begun converting those loses into draws and draws into wins. it's abundantly clear through the type of player we have been linked with that we're looking to further improve in that area. Add Sancho on the RW, for example, and then we have 3, top class creative players at our disposal. Our glaring weakness becomes a strength, and we begin to return to something akin to the United we know and love.

Wherever we finish this season (and I'm confident it'll be top 4), it will go down as a good one. The foundations are now there to build our next great team.

Deery

Dreary
His post as the manager of MOLDE is probably the last reason he was signed for though.

Its his history with, and relationship to, our club that played a bigger role. He understands our club DNA better and that has been evident during his tenure.

As I also mentioned, his coaching team set up, is the reason he makes sense for us. Having Sir Alex’s influence around him is ideal long term wise.
Klopp doesn’t play football ball anything like how previous Liverpool teams play or neither does Pep with Man City

Uniteds DNA would be pressure, counter attack and crossing which we don’t even do without a right winger or attacking fullbacks so that’s bollocks.

We seem to only have played better with the influence of sir Alex, so you got to ask yourself how much is it his doing.
A top class manager wouldn’t need to be spoon feed.

Anyway am going to stop now because this is exactly what I didn’t want this to turn into.

So let’s just get behind the team for the remaining games and hope for Champions League football next season..

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
What a load of shit. We were flying before the covid break... How was timing on his side then?
He's lucky he got the streakiest winning run that got him the job.
He's lucky Jose is sacked halfway and he somehow landed the job
He's lucky COVID is coming, he got a bumper year no matter what happen this year, and probably beyond.
He's lucky Fernandes comes at the right time up and running

Smores

I noticed this the other day looking at the table but decided it wasn't worth the argument. In my mind if we get top 4 or very close he should stay if not boot him.

Whichever way you look at it our worst PL points total would be very damning of Ole.

Paul_Scholes18

He's lucky COVID is coming, he got a bumper year no matter what happen this year, and probably beyond.
His luck can't be compared with lucky LVG. The draws we had under him in the cups were magically good. Still messed most of it up, but won the Fa cup in the end.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Conversely we might be 15 games from a double and 4th place...

Who knows? We’re in alright form, we have excellent attackers.

Joeace2020

Or we could be 8 games away from 3rd/4th place, we could be a few more away from an FA Cup final, and Europa league final too...

I worry about the outlook on life some people have.
Some people are inherently negative. It's always half empty rather than half full.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He was lucky he was born, he was lucky he was given a cool name, he’s lucky he was an excellent footballer, he’s lucky he scored multiple goals.

rotherham_red

I know what you mean, but it works both ways. If Pogba hadn't been injured for ever as well as lengthy spells out for Martial and Rashford you could be 4th and surely Rashford's goals have to be partly down to the manager playing him and setting up for him rather than just pure luck. Finally presumably Ole had a say in who they should sign in Jan to help the team so again more than just luck.

It's a bit like saying if Salah hadn't scored 16 goals Liverpool would be struggling for top 4, fecking lucky Klopp!
I think @Samid was being sarcastic mate, I think (hope?) :-)

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Ole can't secure Top4, he just can't. Last season the excuse was that City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea were too consistent and benefited from a stable season, unlike Mou's horrendous autumn 2018 with Utd.

What's the excuse this year? A solid Leicester and Lampard the newbie prevented Utd from Top4? Even Top5-6 is not secured with Wolves, Sheffield or even Palace in hot pursuit. Even Spurs and Arse could turn things around and finish 5th and 6th.

Ole must win this EL, or be sacked, simple as that. Not another EL season for 2020-21, please.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It’s a big couple of months. It’s the first time in a long time I don’t think we need to sign about 8 players and I’m pretty confident I know our best 11. I’m genuinely optimistic for the first time since Fergie that we’re heading in the right direction. However, we have a favourable run-in, no injuries and a big squad to deal with the fixture congestion - if we don’t end the season well I think questions will rightly be asked.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It's been a throwaway season since the Summer window ended imo, was always going to be a bit rough.

1. Started the season replacing 2 of our starting back 5. That took its toll on our defense and we leaked goals, it took till game 19 for us to reach 3 clean sheets, we're on game 30 and now have 7.
2. Only had 2 senior strikers and unfortunately combined they've missed 13 PL games. When both play our goals per game is 1.9, when one is missing our goals per game is 1.0. The failure to sign a replacement for Lukaku hit us hard.
3. Pogba being out 22 games has been a big, big blow. He was our creative hub since joining us and we've had to attempt to replace him with failed projects in Lingard and Pereira. It was only when we finally got Bruno in did this ease.

No doubt Ole has improved a number of our players though, his signings have been quality and our defense has settled and looks more comfortable. This has been a problematic season and we were very unfortunate Covid happened when it did given our run of form. But we're heading in the right direction and it's taken 3 sacked Managers to reach this point. Credit to Ole to being able to build a decent team, now hopefully we can trim more of the deadwood and continue the rebuild in the Summer.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Not even going to read the article - sounds like clickbait

after a messy few years we are doing rapidly in the right direction so, unless there is a massive collapse in our form, it would be crazy to change the manager now

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Klopp doesn’t play football ball anything like how previous Liverpool teams play or neither does Pep with Man City

Uniteds DNA would be pressure, counter attack and crossing which we don’t even do without a right winger or attacking fullbacks so that’s bollocks.

We seem to only have played better with the influence of sir Alex, so you got to ask yourself how much is it his doing.

Anyway am going to stop now because this is exactly what I didn’t want this to turn into.

So let’s just get behind the team for the remaining games and hope for Champions League football next season..
Just because these managers don’t play a style suited to their represented teams history should mean we also have to sign managers who will get better results just because they’re better managers than Ole? We tried, I’m sure you don’t need reminding what our previous managers did with their old boring methods. While also wasting our funds in buying players, most of which we don’t even have anymore.

End of the day, the lack of quality would’ve made it tough for any incoming manager to perform better.

As for being spoon fed, that’s not even the point. It again refers to whatever I just said above in this post. We chose to bring in a manager who actually would be open to have such an influence around. Don’t you see the good it’s doing us? Sure it’s taking time but it’s coming together quite well. I’m not too sure if other alternative managers would’ve allowed a coming together of this current team with a good mix of academy recruits + signings that suit us.

To conclude, I respect your request to end this here. I just had to give my response to your post. United we stand!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
"reach top 4 or sack" is such a stupid ultimatum.

We've done the short term thing with the last 3 managers and that clearly hasn't helped. Jose wouldn't have been sacked if he didn't fall out with the players and the board.

It's not like we are miles away either, 5 points off Chelsea and Leicester are plumating. If we didn't have such a bad time before christmas we'd be well in it.

We've sold Lukaku who was a big chunk of our goals, and only just replaced him with Bruno. It's clear to me that if we had him from the start of the season things would be very different, 1 player can literally make all the difference.

Ole definitely deserves next year and a good summer of recruitment, if we doesn't break top 4 next year then yes he deserves to go.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
An interesting piece in F365 this morning about how terrible this season has been for us, if it wasn't for the decent run after Fernandes joined who knows what situation we would be in. We need 19 points from our last 24 available just to beat our worst ever Premier League total which was achieved under Moyes. If we don't match that then surely something has to be done?

https://www.football365.com/news/man-utd-and-solskjaer-have-eight-games-to-avoid-disaster
Why is the signing for Bruno being classed as Ole getting out of jail almost?

So bash him when he's managing a poor team and then class him lucky for signing better players?

Web of Bissaka

Early season,
his persistence with 4231 and #10 despite no quality player for that is problematic pre-Bruno. It's heavily dependent on Pogba to provide one thing the squad is lacking without him --> good consistent creativity. Pogba also had to hold his positioning deeper and join attacks freely less.

Last season,
when he's the caretaker, his best runs were the moment when Ole used the 433 system and having other creative players -> Lingard (good form) and Herrera to provide the creativity other than Pogba. Our defense is also not bad then, but more so our attacks are better with Pogba being the main playmaker. Pogba also spent more times attacking and joining the forwards to score. No other creative midfielder, Lingard forgot how to football, and "on pitch disciplined" Pogba didn't score at all this season before he get injured (similar number of minutes appearances with Bruno who scored plenty in contrast).

Lynty

Genuine question, what is this based on...

I'd love to think Fergie is in shadows pulling all the strings. But it seems farfetched

rotherham_red

If he gets top 4 or wins EL, then it is difficult to sack him... Football is short term and the result(financial) oriented, at least from our boards perspective it seems.

Only real change is that we know have a manager that is positive and protects the players.

The football played is not that different from under JM. We struggle to create chances or do anything against a low block. We seem to have no discernable approach to how to go about playing against this type of setup. Our attacking play seems to be based on individual moments, not any input or guidelines from the manager.

The quality, or the suitability, of our signings to a more "progressive" type of football is up for questioning. Not included Bruno.

So, besides being positive and not throwing the players under the bus, what does actually OGS bring to the table? Do people think/believe that he will coach the team to become better at creating chances against a low block? Or should we just buy better attacking players (Bruno, Sancho?) and hope that this fixes it?
It's literally not possible to be tactically poor with the the big game record he has.

Also, Maguire isn't suitable to play progressive football? He's probably the most progressive defender in the league. He constantly drives forward in to midfield, and is almost always looking for the forward pass. James as well. He might not ever be a first team player, but he has pace for days and has utilised it in the right areas plenty of times. AWB is a defence-first FB, but his attacking game was coming on well until the Covid-enforced break. These players aren't robots. They do have the ability to progress and regress and from what I can see, almost all of them are doing so under Ole.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It also always felt like we sacrificed this season from the beginning, selling Romelu Lukaku and moving Sanchez without replacing them. One must think the idea was long term over short term.
This was always the reason why I and I suspect the few others that continued to back us even during the toughest moments felt the way that we did.

This season was always about going into it with low expectations. Remove the players that shouldn't be here, or didn't want to be here. Get the insane wage bill under control. Start to build some harmony and team spirit, and be very specific about the type of player we wanted, and also about WHY we wanted him. If we couldnt get him at the right price, wait or look elsewhere, but at all costs do not take risks. Basically, start building a team.

Given everything we've been through, the low expectations referred to above, and the injuries we've suffered, to be here today with a good shout for top 4 and two cups, and have a team that are showing clear improvements as the season goes on? It's a credit to the club.

I've said before and I still believe that we are a year ahead of schedule in this rebuild. Talk of replacing the mgmt team now is madness

Nikelesh Reddy

It’s a rebuild project, there are no quick fixes. This has been talked about to death but Liverpool were finishing down the table before it all clicked. For me this team looks a lot better than it has for years and years, plus they’re young enough to build and develop together. Key also is that Pogba hasn’t played all season and Bruno only just joined, two players that will greatly help us break down those stubborn defensive teams. So let’s at least allow this team to gel and improve further.
I kinda agree with this but the big difference is that liverpool had a manager with a proven track record of building good teams.Our manager doesn’t really have a track record so supporters are definitely going to be sceptical until it clicks for us.Theres been decent improvement over the last few games,but we need to improve significantly to start believing in this manager.

Ofcourse I support this manager,but I”m still not sure if he’s good enough to manage this club....

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We have an identity, we have direction, and that feel good factor has returned. This was always going to be a season for rebuilding. Anyone who expected anything different was delusional.

Overwhelmingly, our biggest issue has been breaking teams down. We've dominated every facet of a game and come away with a draw or a loss because we've look insipid in the final third. We gambled on Pogba being fit for the majority of the season and investing elsewhere. We got unlucky there. But now we've got Pogba back and brought in Bruno, we've begun converting those loses into draws and draws into wins. it's abundantly clear through the type of player we have been linked with that we're looking to further improve in that area. Add Sancho on the RW, for example, and then we have 3, top class creative players at our disposal. Our glaring weakness becomes a strength, and we begin to return to something akin to the United we know and love.

Wherever we finish this season (and I'm confident it'll be top 4), it will go down as a good one. The foundations are now there to build our next great team.
Good post

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
An interesting piece in F365 this morning about how terrible this season has been for us, if it wasn't for the decent run after Fernandes joined who knows what situation we would be in. We need 19 points from our last 24 available just to beat our worst ever Premier League total which was achieved under Moyes. If we don't match that then surely something has to be done?

https://www.football365.com/news/man-utd-and-solskjaer-have-eight-games-to-avoid-disaster
Madness. And a reason to be cautious with being too content with Ole.

Some good signs in recent times but he has it all to do to prove that he's good enough for this football club.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Even if we don't get UCL football for next season this season has been far from disastrous for me, probably been my most enjoyable season post Fergie

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
From the article: " This was not a difficult year to be the fourth, or even third-best team in this division. "

So the article itself actually highlights the good run of form, praises Harry Maguire and Bruno Fernandes.

But I'll give the author this: It was indeed not a difficult year to finish third of fouth. If we didn't have the most injuries in the Premier League only beaten by Burnley. And hell yeah other teams have injuries as well, guess why everyone is dropping points left and right-

Giving Bruno the plaudits he deserves for igniting the team in a spectacular fashion almost begs the question: Why not aknowledge that the players we had available prior to Brunos arrival just couldn't get the job done, regardless of who tells them to play football?

Edit: With regards to Ole staying. A manager is as safe as two groups of people decide he is: The board - and the players. From what we know and have no actual reason to doubt, Ole has extremly solid backing from the players. The board? Well you never know, but Ed seems to be on board so far.

Last edited:

UpWithRivers

Its squeaky bum time. There is only so far you can go with making excuses. Lets face it if he was any other manager he would have been sacked. Now we face what is on paper winnable games. But they are the exact games where we have failed all season. the teams that play a low block and fight hard. Its also an opportunity for the players to stand up and be counted. Even if Ole is sht they are better than the teams they face and they should go out and prove it no matter the tactics.
Ole has been great at forming a bond between the players. Getting rid of the toxicity. Getting players that are actually likable and also a team that looks like it can compete with any team. And we have faced all the top teams and done amazingly. So no matter what happens he has done a good job. The question is can he take us to the next level or has he done his part and now we need someone else to pick up from his foundations and kick on.
I hope we have a great end of season.

Deery

Dreary
Just because these managers don’t play a style suited to their represented teams history should mean we also have to sign managers who will get better results just because they’re better managers than Ole? We tried, I’m sure you don’t need reminding what our previous managers did with their old boring methods. While also wasting our funds in buying players, most of which we don’t even have anymore.

End of the day, the lack of quality would’ve made it tough for any incoming manager to perform better.

As for being spoon fed, that’s not even the point. It again refers to whatever I just said above in this post. We chose to bring in a manager who actually would be open to have such an influence around. Don’t you see the good it’s doing us? Sure it’s taking time but it’s coming together quite well. I’m not too sure if other alternative managers would’ve allowed a coming together of this current team with a good mix of academy recruits + signings that suit us.

To conclude, I respect your request to end this here. I just had to give my response to your post. United we stand!
What I was saying is I’d happily take a manger that would give us progressive, fresh, attacking football even if it wasn’t in our DNA and that Ole’s not really playing to our traditions anyway.

Of course I see the Sir Alex influence on the team and it’s very welcome, but the fact he has to get out of his armchair doesn’t actually come across very positive for Ole.

Deery

Dreary
Genuine question, what is this based on...

I'd love to think Fergie is in shadows pulling all the strings. But it seems farfetched
It was said around February that Sir Alex has gotten closer to the squad and helping Ole.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Ole can't secure Top4, he just can't. Last season the excuse was that City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea were too consistent and benefited from a stable season, unlike Mou's horrendous autumn 2018 with Utd.

What's the excuse this year? A solid Leicester and Lampard the newbie prevented Utd from Top4? Even Top5-6 is not secured with Wolves, Sheffield or even Palace in hot pursuit. Even Spurs and Arse could turn things around and finish 5th and 6th.

Ole must win this EL, or be sacked, simple as that. Not another EL season for 2020-21, please.
Agree with this

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
What I was saying is I’d happily take a manger that would give us progressive, fresh, attacking football even if it wasn’t in our DNA and that Ole’s not really playing to our traditions anyway.

Of course I see the Sir Alex influence on the team and it’s very welcome, but the fact he has to get out of his armchair doesn’t actually come across very positive for Ole.
You see sir Alex influence? So e.g. someone that is inspired by Rinus Michels 4-3-3 has automatically help from Michel in the daily life? If you think Sir Alex has anything to do with Oles coaching other than being an inspiration, then you are mistaken. Ole is also inspired by Klopp, and other coaches. Does not mean that he gets any actual help from him about coaching. So many people still trying to make Ole small in here.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
From the article: " This was not a difficult year to be the fourth, or even third-best team in this division. "

So the article itself actually highlights the good run of form, praises Harry Maguire and Bruno Fernandes.

But I'll give the author this: It was indeed not a difficult year to finish third of fouth. If we didn't have the most injuries in the Premier League only beaten by Burnley. And hell yeah other teams have injuries as well, guess why everyone is dropping points left and right-

Giving Bruno the plaudits he deserves for igniting the team in a spectacular fashion almost begs the question: Why not aknowledge that the players we had available prior to Brunos arrival just couldn't get the job done, regardless of who tells them to play football?
The impact of injuries is always underestimated. We were ruined in the first half of the season.

Does anyone think City would be 20 points behinds with Laporte and Sane fit all season?

Leicester have been running on fumes since injuries to Ndidi, Vardy and Pereira have struck.

Liverpool have dropped points in 3 games all season, Salah didn't start in the two draws, Henderson and Gomez missed the loss to Watford.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think sometimes you have to just use your eyes instead of sticking purely to stats. It’s highly likely we’ll have our worst season in terms of points, but the reason that’s been largely swept under the carpet is because we’re looking promising in other ways. It hasn’t helped that De Gea is costing us points now instead of saving them like he was under previous managers.

Even if we finish 5th and go out in the EL quarters, I’d keep Ole for another year. We should get a better idea by the end of next season whether or not there’s something decent happening.

jackal&hyde

Plus people have been very lenient when it comes to Ole because he's a club legend.
Oh that's just so not true. Some of the things some people wrote about him you don't hear about rivals managers. It was a disgrace how some people talked about him.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The way I see it is that he was incredibly lucky to last until the end of Jan/early Feb and be allowed to spend €60m on a player. I don't think many (or any) other clubs in their right mind would have let that happen if a manager was doing such an awful job results wise for the guts of a year. I don't think we would have either if he wasn't a club legend, quite frankly.

But since then, since he got Bruno, he and us have been a lot better, there's no doubt about that. Before the lockdown we looked arguably our best in a few years. And there were other positives too like the young players being brought through, getting rid of deadwood, squad harmony etc.

So essentially i'm in two minds, if we continue the sort of form we showed pre lockdown, after signing Bruno, there's no doubt Ole needs to stay and get another year, but if we do revert to the sort of form and tumescent football and results we saw for mass periods across his first year here, I really hope he doesn't get another year. So, let's hope it's the former.

RUCK4444

It’s Uniteds own fault if we don’t get 4th place we knew what we were getting when we signed Ole, so there is no point complaining now.

The football hasn’t been very good at all and it won’t get any better either, it’s individual brilliance rather than good football getting us points.

But, we get a win tonight against Sheffield and we are in a good position to get 4th so let’s all get behind the team for the remaining games and forget these clickbait bullshit articles only designed to play on the insecurity of United fans..
Rubbish. We’ve been without key players the entire season, what ‘individual brilliance’ are you speaking of? Martial? Ffs.

We’ve ground out results to get where we are, we’ve had poor spells which are directly affected by the injuries.

Recruitement is spot on and the football is better than it’s been since SAF. Yes better than Mourinho, yes better than LVG and yes better than Moyes (obviously.)
Whilst youth has been brought into the mix soundly, in keeping with our club philosophy.

It’s not even a defence of Ole, it’s a defence of the obvious.
Who tha feck would you sack Ole for right now?

It’s the first time since SAF that we can see the direction the club is headed, no short term fixes, long term planning and sound recruitment.

I’m sure some people just enjoy the feckin carousel of managers and the drama of it all.

We’ve been a feckin laughing stock these last 6 years, make no mistake, a joke.
Im fecked if I’m going to sack the one guy who at least is trying to put the pieces together and push the club in the right direction.

Put it this way, do you think Sancho would even consider moving to United if it wasn’t for Ole and what he represents as a manager who backs youth but also a manager who’s turning this juggernaut of a club out of the mire? Not a chance.

We’ve beaten the best clubs in the land, it’s consistency we’ve lacked, through additional talented recruitment that will follow.

Deery

Dreary
You see sir Alex influence? So e.g. someone that is inspired by Rinus Michels 4-3-3 has automatically help from Michel in the daily life? If you think Sir Alex has anything to do with Oles coaching other than being an inspiration, then you are mistaken. Ole is also inspired by Klopp, and other coaches. Does not mean that he gets any actual help from him about coaching. So many people still trying to make Ole small in here.
What makes you so sure? It was said around the time that we were playing well Sir Alex had been getting closer to the squad. Even if it was just for inspiration then I’d well believe it.

Ole plays nothing like Klopp, except for maybe Fred.

I said didn’t want this to turn into an Ole bashing which is what it’s become.

I was mainly just saying I am still not sold on Ole, but will get behind him for the rest of the season and I still believe he will be manager next season.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders

As I said before, I don’t think there were any decent managers available anyways. If there were, I’m sure we would’ve gone that route.

I think Ole won’t need assistance forever but whatever he’s gotten so far has taught him a lot to go along with whatever he already knew about our club. He’s getting all the right information across to the players.