Eight games away from another disastrous season under Ole

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Sure, that's one way to do it. The other is, hey bud, your critical development goal this year was to reach a 4. We agreed it before you started, and I know it's been a tough year, but unfortunately this is a highly competitive company, and anyone that doesn't achieve their goals gets put on probation. So listen, if you get a 4, or a 3, we're golden, but if you get a 5, then sorry but that's on you.

Seriously, I like Ole. If he gets top 4 he's done his job. But we also shouldn't ignore that the league this year is kind of hot trash, and getting 63 points is a failure for Manchester United.
So you tell your department head something like this: "Okay, we agreed that you would meet these sales figures and you got to 95% of the goal. The trends show next year you will meet or beat those goals, but you know, I still have to let you go. I really appreciate that your employees seem to like and respect you and I'm glad the next manager will be able to build on your foundation. Thanks."

Besides, you and I both know Ole is staying whether we finish 3rd, 4th or 5th. Right? You can't really think he will be fired.

Lentwood

What is all this nonsense now being peddled by the people who are trying to destroy our club about the league being “rubbish”?

How on earth have they come to this conclusion? In 1st place we have Liverpool who are currently world champions and holders of the European Cup. In 2nd we have City, this years favourites to win the CL. In 3rd, Utd. 4th, Chelsea, the current holders of the Europa League, in 8th we have Arsenal, the team who they beat in the final of the Europa. In 6th, we have Spurs who contested last season’s Champions League final with Liverpool.

Aside from all of that, we have teams like Brighton in the bottom 6 who are in the top 15 clubs for net spend over the last five season. In fact, 13 of the top 25 net spends over the last decade belong to English teams. Every club is full of regular internationals and players in the prime of their careers.

If there’s one thing this league isn’t, it’s weak! It’s the most challenging in world football!

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
So you tell your department head something like this: "Okay, we agreed that you would meet these sales figures and you got to 95% of the goal. The trends show next year you will meet or beat those goals, but you know, I still have to let you go. I really appreciate that your employees seem to like and respect you and I'm glad the next manager will be able to build on your foundation. Thanks."

Besides, you and I both know Ole is staying whether we finish 3rd, 4th or 5th. Right? You can't really think he will be fired.
No, I absolutely think he's going to remain manager and that's fair enough given the past 3 months of football (before and after covid). He deserves it based on that.

My original point is that I still think he has a ways to go, and that he is far from a sure thing as a tactician. Elite managers at elite clubs get elite results. I don't believe Ole is elite, then again, I don't believe our squad is either. Our first XI is getting closer.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
If there’s one thing this league isn’t, it’s weak! It’s the most challenging in world football!
Can only speak for my own opinion, but I meant in context of other seasons of the premier league. I agree at present the EPL is a much tougher league than others - just look at how well our rejects are doing at Inter.

But I think it's inarguable that Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, us and even City are not at the races really this season. There have been times in the past that the top 6/7 teams are all really good, and I don't believe that's the case, as can be seen by the points.

Lentwood

Can only speak for my own opinion, but I meant in context of other seasons of the premier league. I agree at present the EPL is a much tougher league than others - just look at how well our rejects are doing at Inter.

But I think it's inarguable that Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, us and even City are not at the races really this season. There have been times in the past that the top 6/7 teams are all really good, and I don't believe that's the case, as can be seen by the points.
The points are a red herring for me. The lower points totals for the top 6 just reflect the fact that the top two are very good and the bottom 10 are better than ever. Add to that the fact the top 6 play 3 times a week for most of the season (look at points won in the PL when a top 6 team play a european game compared to when they don’t)

I believe every sport gets better every year. It doesn’t stand up to any kind of logic or scrutiny that the top teams are getting worse. I just think the ability of players on average is rising all the time, as is the management, coaching, tactics etc...

Verminator

What is all this nonsense now being peddled by the people who are trying to destroy our club about the league being “rubbish”?

How on earth have they come to this conclusion? In 1st place we have Liverpool who are currently world champions and holders of the European Cup. In 2nd we have City, this years favourites to win the CL. In 3rd, Utd. 4th, Chelsea, the current holders of the Europa League, in 8th we have Arsenal, the team who they beat in the final of the Europa. In 6th, we have Spurs who contested last season’s Champions League final with Liverpool.

Aside from all of that, we have teams like Brighton in the bottom 6 who are in the top 15 clubs for net spend over the last five season. In fact, 13 of the top 25 net spends over the last decade belong to English teams. Every club is full of regular internationals and players in the prime of their careers.

I like your point, and the way you make it.
Points totals are only guaranteed when the rest of the field is weak.
Apart from Norwich and latterly Bournemouth, no team has looked an easy win, before kick-off.
Yes, four of the big six(sic) haven't been as dominant this year, but is not easy taking points off the rest.
The gap isn't that huge anymore.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira

That figure is pretty amazing and I guess it's the result of the TV deals the EPL have made in the past decade.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I was one of those who thought a relegation battle was a possibility at the start of the season. Nice one, Ole.

devips

Zero games away from a disastrous season. Let's sack the gym coach.

Lj82

To repeat what I said in the mirror thread to this thread, I'm enjoying watching United again this season. Can't wait for the next match every time the final whistle blows, like I'm young again

SteveW

An interesting piece in F365 this morning about how terrible this season has been for us, if it wasn't for the decent run after Fernandes joined who knows what situation we would be in. We need 19 points from our last 24 available just to beat our worst ever Premier League total which was achieved under Moyes. If we don't match that then surely something has to be done?

https://www.football365.com/news/man-utd-and-solskjaer-have-eight-games-to-avoid-disaster
Tough break kid.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Awful thread, up there with the worst threads of all time and in a similar league to “bursting Rashy’s bubble”

Gotta love the caf experts

montpelier

I'm still not sure about Ole.

(which might be true actually)

Shall I start a thread?

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Can't believe you all have fallen for Oles fraud, we would be midtable if it weren't for Bruno, Martial and Rashford.
And if my mother had wheels, she'd be a bike.

Do you think that a manager not having good players wouldnt leave their squad mid table? How about we give Pep and Klopp Villa and Watford's teams and get them top 5....

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
What Ole did was to max out even drop of potential out if this current squad to get 3rd. The fact that we may not even have the 3rd best squad in the league is a testament to what the coaching team has achieved.

Tel074

Absolutely should get sacked , but he won’t unfortunately.

Champions league was a requirement for Moyes, LVG & Jose. (Rightly so)
But not Ole? Go figure. Our winning mentality is diminishing year on year
Still should get sacked then hahaha

Revan

Assumptionman
What Ole did was to max out even drop of potential out if this current squad to get 3rd. The fact that we may not even have the 3rd best squad in the league is a testament to what the coaching team has achieved.
Who has the third best squad in the league? Chelsea or Leicester?

Flexdegea

Ole has grown with the team but we wouldn,t even be close to top4 without Fernandes.

No point arguing endlessly if he's the right guy or not as he's here to stay. The little things drive me nuts though and I struggle to understand the missteps. Like playing first team players in the FA cup despite the obvious fatigue and now we drew with West Ham instead of win and we;re left needing a result against Leicester to qualify for Europe....

or playing Rashford and Pogba when they were obviously injured especially in the case of Rashford leaving him injured for months. (I mean I was telling my pals at home Rashford had a serious injury just the way he was running. Even worse was the fateful game that finally broke the camel's back was either an FA cup encounter or league cup game.

So what's your point?

Fernandes is managing and doing it on the pitch too?