Eikrem...

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Have either of you seen much of him at molde?

Has his form shown he could come back here? I was a a bit disappointed when he left but I always looked at him going to molde with ole as an extended loan deal almost.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Yeah, he has been improving nicely since he joined Molde. He's gotten tons of attention in the media, some due to his performances, some due to him being an ex-United I reckon. I think he might need to move in a year or two to prevent him stalling, but he's a great talent.

Not sure if he could ever become a United-player though. He needs to improve obviously, but he got the right tutor in Ole and a great attitude and we know that those things will get you far.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I hope we resign him. I was extremly dissapointed when he left us - I thought he was a Scholes in the making. The heart in our reserves that made us tick at one point.

I've only seen very little of him since he's been at Molde, so I'm actually unsure whether he's now a centre midfielder or a offensive midfielder; but the reviews are great. His attitude was great; I'd welcome him back with open arms.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
He's a central midfielder, though his defensive side of the game is lacking, just as it did in the reserves.

Eirik Raude

Yeah, he has been improving nicely since he joined Molde. He's gotten tons of attention in the media, some due to his performances, some due to him being an ex-United I reckon. I think he might need to move in a year or two to prevent him stalling, but he's a great talent.

Not sure if he could ever become a United-player though. He needs to improve obviously, but he got the right tutor in Ole and a great attitude and we know that those things will get you far.
I agree with this bit. If he continues to improve his game as much as he has done until now, then he'll be ready for a move to one of the bigger leagues in Europe in a year or so. That said, as Burrow also pointed out, I don't know if he ever will be United quality.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I was absolutely baffled as to why we weren't affording Eikrem the chances that Gibson was getting. Not been following his performances in Norway, but it's nice to hear he's made a name for himself over there.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Ole wants to see more goals from him and has banned him from shaving until he gets off the mark in the upcoming season.

londonredmaniac

I was absolutely baffled as to why we weren't affording Eikrem the chances that Gibson was getting. Not been following his performances in Norway, but it's nice to hear he's made a name for himself over there.
I'd say because Gibson was better technically, physically, defensively and all round really. At that point certainly.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I'd say because Gibson was better technically
No. Technically, Mags is a truly top quality player. Gibson, for all his class, falls slightly short of that.

physically, defensively
No doubt.

and all round really. At that point certainly.
As a central midfielder, yes. As a more attacking-minded one, no.

I agree with the gist of what you're saying. In retrospect, Eikrem's defensive game, or lack thereof, was probably too much of a risk for the first team. I didn't think so at the time but it was quite obvious during his early Molde career.

Eirik Raude

A bunch of the biggest regional papers in Norway has together picked the 50 best players of the Norwegian Tippeligaen, and Eikrem is ranked as number one. I think he will be sold to a bigger league within the next 12 months.

londonredmaniac

No. Technically, Mags is a truly top quality player. Gibson, for all his class, falls slightly short of that.

No doubt.

As a central midfielder, yes. As a more attacking-minded one, no.

I agree with the gist of what you're saying. In retrospect, Eikrem's defensive game, or lack thereof, was probably too much of a risk for the first team. I didn't think so at the time but it was quite obvious during his early Molde career.
Yeah perhaps. I just think folk forget sometimes how good Gibson was a ressie level because he couldn't cut it in the first team, if you know what I mean.

I agree with the points you've outlined...though I think gibbo was quite technically gifted at that level.

Cevno

Yeah perhaps. I just think folk forget sometimes how good Gibson was a ressie level because he couldn't cut it in the first team, if you know what I mean.

I agree with the points you've outlined...though I think gibbo was quite technically gifted at that level.
At that time at Reserve level Eikrem Was outperforming Gibson easily but yeah Eikrem was not ready for the first team.

I don't get where this how good Gibson was at reserve level comes from anyway. He was better at U18 level and maybe had a few good games at reserve level before his loan but he never dominated at a stretch in the reserves.

And particularly wasn't good at the reserve level in his last 2 seasons. Though, due to his physical development he was more ready for the first team than Eikrem.

Cevno

He'll go with Ole to Villa in the summer!
Can't see them sacking Lambert if they stay up and if they go down then not sure Ole will take that job anyway after they didn't give the backing he wanted last time.

Btw, don't we have a buyback on magnus ? :drool: (One can hope)

londonredmaniac

At that time at Reserve level Eikrem Was outperforming easily but yeah Eikrem was not ready for the first team.

I don't get where this how good Gibson was at reserve level comes from anyway. He was better at U18 level and maybe had a few good games at reserve level before his loan but he never dominated at a stretch in the reserves.

And particularly wasn't good at the reserve level in his last 2 seasons. Though, due to his physical development he was more ready for the first team than Eikrem.
I always rated Gibbo rather highly tbf...though Eikrem looked a quality prospect. I was a bit gutted to find out he was off.

Laphroaig

A bunch of the biggest regional papers in Norway has together picked the 50 best players of the Norwegian Tippeligaen, and Eikrem is ranked as number one. I think he will be sold to a bigger league within the next 12 months.
I thought I read (on RBNett) that Molde assume he'll leave in the summer.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I'd say because Gibson was better technically, physically, defensively and all round really. At that point certainly.
Eikrem was impressive technically. I suppose it is very up in the air as to how Eikrem would've coped with the physicality of first team football, but I found it frustrating how much time Gibson got here despite the hugely poor performances he was putting in sometimes, the fairly poor performances he was putting in most of the time and the negative impact he had on our football in general. It seems harsh saying it like that, but I really saw very little of Gibson in his last 3/4 years here to suggest he'd be capable of becoming a first team player for United. Eikrem on the other hand was the star of the reserve team and had a wand of a right foot. Perhaps he would've struggled with the physicality of the first team given his sleight build but, as harsh as it sounds again, I don't think Gibson offered anything at all for the most part. I don't have any statistics to back it up but our record with him in the team seemed very poor comparatively.

londonredmaniac

It's a fair gripe KE...Perhaps I'm making more of Gibson because I watched him from the youth team up. As I say I was a massive fan of Eikrem and was a bit gutted to see him go. Then again we sold him to Ole...so it's as good as a loan. If he ends up making significant strides we'll look at bringing him back in...if not then no. Never know...might be a 'watch this space' thing.

Will Absolute

First week after getting MUTV, I saw Eikrem in an Academy game, and immediately posted on M.E.N that we had a star in the making! I remained a fan and was gutted when he left. The experience did teach me the folly of over-confident predictions about the future of young footballers though. :(

I hope he makes it at a top club, but I don't suppose he'll ever be back at OT.

londonredmaniac

So, if he did move to England (not saying he will or should) where would be a good place to go?

Fulham? They aren't shy of giving young players a go? Play some good football.

Swansea? Same as Fulham really.

Southampton? Everton?

Cevno

Wigan ? Sunderland even ?

Anywhere he plays regularly tbh and teams that don't play hoofball.

Well Sunderland do kind of, but they don't have any half decent CM's now.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Mmmmm. I hoped he'd jump to a higher level than Heerenveen. Still - I guess it's more competitive than the Norwegian league, no disrespect to Molde and Co.

Eirik Raude

Molde seemed a better team than Heerenveen when they met in Europe, but Eredivisie is a better league than Tippeligaen. Also, Heerenveen has been good with Norwegians earlier. It will be easier for him to get regular playing time there than in bigger clubs, and also if he succeeds, chances for an even bigger move will be better. He will of course also make a lot more money than he does in Molde. If he does not succeed, Molde will take him back without even thinking about it, and Heerenveen has proven to be easy to deal with in these kind of situations before. All in all, a sound move I would think.