Television El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie | Don't bother entering unless you've watched it

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
I enjoyed it. Although not much happened. still a decent closure for Pinkman.

I would have liked to have seen more about the violence he endured whilst in captivity.

I mean, it didn't seem that bad.

cyberman

Shite. Felt as if you were just outside that universe instead of being taken back in. It just felt odd.

izec

The movie was too late for me to be emotionally engaged. I watched the show 5 years ago. It was decent nonetheless

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
How are we doing 'spoilers'? Anyone who hasn't seen the show should stay out the thread yeah? Put it in the title?

Nice symmetry of the show and the movie ending with Jesse driving. Once away from something and once towards something.

Amir

Well that was a pointless waste of 2hrs. All that, just to watch Jesse escape. Even though we didn't really need it. We already know he escaped and didn't need the details. This movie added nothing. What a disappointment. The last 30 mins were entertaining. Nice to see WW though.
Exactly... I hear people say it gave us closure, but it didn't really give that much more than we already had.

Heck, I think a Skyler movie would have had more to offer. :lol:

Motorman

I would have liked to have seen the scene with Skinny P, after the cops showed up for the tracked car.

Unless it did and I completely missed it.

AaronRedDevil

I would have liked to have seen the scene with Skinny P, after the cops showed up for the tracked car.

Unless it did and I completely missed it.
I was wondering where was that scene? They bloody showed it in the trailers

AaronRedDevil

Exactly... I hear people say it gave us closure, but it didn't really give that much more than we already had.

Heck, I think a Skyler movie would have had more to offer. :lol:
Yeah it's weird they brought back nearly every character but the wife and son. I suppose it's Jessie's story and ending.

All it showed was, remember Todd? He's a evil motherf. Just showing us things we already know about and a waste of time, the last 30 mins were meaningful . They could have really done something better with this.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
All it’s done is give me more questions.

How does Jesse get on in his new life? Does he get a job? Does he get recognised, does he change appearances etc.
What happened with Skinny and the car?
what happened with Skyler and Walt?

Would have liked to have seen more about Jesse’s time in captivity as well.

that aside, I enjoyed it, was nice to see the characters again.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I liked it, it was just something enjoyable, not that BB needed anymore it's already the best show ever and I was happy that

they didn't bring back Walter, he is obviously dead, I did enjoy the scene with him and Jesse very much

I love Jesse, and I'm glad they gave him closure.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
All it’s done is give me more questions.

How does Jesse get on in his new life? Does he get a job? Does he get recognised, does he change appearances etc.
What happened with Skinny and the car?
what happened with Skyler and Walt?

Would have liked to have seen more about Jesse’s time in captivity as well.

that aside, I enjoyed it, was nice to see the characters again.
It did feel like the film was lying the foundations for a post Breaking Bad show, perhaps after Better Call Saul finishes? But maybe that's wishful thinking.

Do you mean Walt jr, though?

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
That was all a bit bland. Seemed quite pointless and it just showed us exactly what everyone would've presumed happened to him - he got away and escaped to a new town and a new life.

Prodigy24

He deserves it for imprisoning every one on a spaceship.
:lol:

---

Watched it last night and I really enjoyed it. Yeah, it was probably not necessary since way too much time has passed since the show ended. But I still really liked it. A satisfying end to the show and brought some closure. The directing from Vince Gilligan was once again fantastic. Just slightly disappointed that we didn't get to see or hear something from Walt's family after the news.

Heardy

Having slept on it, i felt that i was left wanting a hell of a lot more!

I loved seeing the characters again, and pleased that Jesse got away, but really hoped there to be more to the story, or at least some twists along the way. We hoped he got away, and all the film did was confirm it!

Even seeing more of the fallout from Skylar / Walt Jr's perspective after Walt dying would have given us something.

Would like to have seen Jesse connect with Saul, or there to be some level of substance to his "new life."

Shame - I'd have liked it to stand alone as a good movie, but it's only because it's linked to Breaking Bad that people will enjoy it. Otherwise, very very little happened.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Shame this got cut, hopefully we'll get a directors cut or something down the line.

Jev

I was a bit underwhelmed by it. It was stunningly shot and pretty entertaining but I had imagined that Vince Gilligan wouldn't have reopened the Breaking Bad chapter unless he felt he really had an important story to tell. And truth be told, it didn't feel that important or necessary. Some of the flashbacks, one in particular, seemed like pure fan service and should have been left out.

At least nothing happened that could tarnish the show in any way so there's that.

Minkaro

I enjoyed it, particularly Aaron Paul's performance, but it does feel like something of an epilogue, rather than something that needed to be hyped up hugely. Not really something that needed to happen, but I won't complain that it did.

The flashbacks were nice, a chance to revisit some of the characters.

luke511

Aaron Paul smashed it out the park. It was a satisfying epilogue, not exactly necessary but was seamlessly pulled off in my opinion.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
It was a decent couple of hours but hardly a classic. I thought it could have done more to show Jesse recovering from his PTSD etc - as previous posters have said, he seemed to go from a broken man to hardcore/emotionless very quickly and suddenly.

robinrooney

Would have been gutted if I had to pay to watch that at the cinema.

One thing I didn't understand was how did the 2 fake cops get the key to the apartment?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Fairly shite, but not offensively so.

Edit : Also they shouldnt have confirmed certain things...

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I enjoyed it. Didn’t really tie up too many loose ends, just Jesses journey.

Would have maybe liked to see more of the fallout surrounded by the end of the series - not just on Jesse. But maybe it just played out the confinement Jesse endured.

GBBQ

It was fine. I remember an article on cracked.com had basically said that The finale of Breaking Bad was far from open ended because there’s no way Jesse could escape from where his situation. Probably that general sentiment led to this movie being created to give Jesse a brighter future.

It was nice to get a little bit more closure and to see some familiar faces again but at the same time, had this played as a final episode it would have sucked.

Side note, I forgot Robert Forster was in the show so was nice to see a last hurrah from him.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Quite enjoyed that. Didn’t mind the shootout. If you’re a fan of BB, you’ll prolly like El Camino.
The one thing that did bother me was

Why did the welder challenge Jesse to a gun duel? It seemed a bit unnatural even if it did make for a cool scene, can't help but feel this was added in just as an homage to spaghetti western movies. Also, the fact the second guy couldn't hit Jesse was ridiculous, he must have parkinsons with aim like that.
Was there some “science” involved in Jesse’s gun during the shootout? Similar to the way Walt rigged that automatic gun turret in the finale? Why did his jacket catch on fire?
Wow Landry got fat.
Seems like he never lost the weight he gained for Fargo.

izec

Quite enjoyed that. Didn’t mind the shootout. If you’re a fan of BB, you’ll prolly like El Camino.
Was there some “science” involved in Jesse’s gun during the shootout? Similar to the way Walt rigged that automatic gun turret in the finale? Why did his jacket catch on fire?
Seems like he never lost the weight he gained for Fargo.
He had 2 guns, one on the front and the other hidden in the jacket pocket. He was shooting with that one, thats why he was so quick as well and it catched fire. That's what i thought and saw

ChrisNelson

Watched this over the weekend. I have to be honest it didn't quite live up to expectations.

Don't get me wrong, the characters are portrayed perfectly as if they've never been away, I just think that.........

Having Jesse end up just disappearing was a bit meh. Walter and Saul did that in season 5 and it just felt like a bit of a cop out, just to have him tie up a couple of loose ends then bugger off to Alaska.

I agree with a previous comment, would have been fine as a stand alone episode but as a film a few years after it finished, they could have done so much better

I am assuming there will be no further films, they really would be foolish to do so.

Sanche7

They did the bare minimum IMO, it felt like they were ticking boxes : OK, Jesse escaped - tick, he suffers from PTSD for a while - tick, he gets revenge and says his goodbyes - tick, Jesse gets away - tick, some throwbacks and cameos - tick.
It lacked heart, it's like Gilligan was short on money and decided to make a movie. As many have said, it could have been so much more. I guess the movie would have been super long if the wanted to show everything, the fallout of the event and what happened to other characters. But anyway, it has a few good scenes and I'm happy Jesse got a happy ending

dove

I guess Netflix just threw a bag of money and said to do something about the Breaking Bad. Movie itself (it's more of a 2-3 series episodes combined) is quite average but expected IMO. There was simply not much story left to tell as pretty much all main characters are either dead or gone. Series did a good job having closures for each of them. There are some parts that might have been interesting left out, like
the one with Skinny and police.
. Apparently it was cut off due to time. Maybe a 4-5 episode mini-series would have been a better idea.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Watched this over the weekend. I have to be honest it didn't quite live up to expectations.

I am assuming there will be no further films, they really would be foolish to do so.
I don't think they will but you never know, I think they hardened up Jesse's character quite a bit for this film so could have been testing the water for a standalone series a la BCS. If there's money in something it will always happen.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
How are we doing 'spoilers'? Anyone who hasn't seen the show should stay out the thread yeah? Put it in the title?

Nice symmetry of the show and the movie ending with Jesse driving. Once away from something and once towards something.
Yeah, you'd have to be a moron to enter this thread without watching. Does it really require a title edit given it has the release date there? People will know it is out now. Bill was " " this close to receiving my full wrath.

He had 2 guns, one on the front and the other hidden in the jacket pocket. He was shooting with that one, thats why he was so quick as well and it catched fire. That's what i thought and saw
Spot on. We saw him take two guns out of the safe. When he went into the Welding Co. he had the bigger one in a noticeable spot so their attention was on that instead of him having his left hand in his pocket. I know nothing about guns but guessing that smaller one was 'better'

youngrell

There was plenty they could have included, such as the fallout of Walt's death through his family, and of course the police finding Hank's body, but I think they kept it as Jesse-centric as possible to keep the focus on him. BB was Walt's story, El Camino was Jesse's.

It's also quite possible that all of the above will be covered in BCS when that gets up to the post BB timeline. Heck, it could even explore Jesse further but I doubt that.

GBBQ

I don't think they will but you never know, I think they hardened up Jesse's character quite a bit for this film so could have been testing the water for a standalone series a la BCS. If there's money in something it will always happen.
No doubt money talks, but I just don't see any mileage left for Jesse's story. He's wanted to be out of the game for a long time and he has escaped with a new identity and some money behind him now to set up a new life in a quiet place. The people who mattered to him are dead (I don't see him being lured back south because of his parents or skinny Pete). So I just don't see him risking any kind of criminal life now after all he went through to get out (at least not without destroying his whole redemption arc).

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
No doubt money talks, but I just don't see any mileage left for Jesse's story.
I agree with you completely but I think the film showed the strength of Jesse's character and Aaron Pauls ability to be lead and someone could think carrying his story on could be a good idea.

Heardy

I agree with you completely but I think the film showed the strength of Jesse's character and Aaron Pauls ability to be lead and someone could think carrying his story on could be a good idea.
I think Aaron Paul has the ability to lead a show, but i think that there's only a story if he goes back to his life of crime. As @GBBQ said, Jesse had wanted to escape the life for some time, and El Camino gave his arc closure.