Gaming Elden Ring - Fromsoftware

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Love Fromsoft games, but this looks a bit samey? Thought they'd want to change things up a bit on the new consoles.

I've always thought the idea of a proper open world RPG with an actual story with Dark Souls' combat would be something special. Hope they try to go for that leap at some point.
Isnt that exactly what this is? From the trailer it certainly looks open world.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Isnt that exactly what this is? From the trailer it certainly looks open world.
Really? Would be great if that's the case. The trailer looks like a collection of those vague Soulslike cutscenes rather than a full on RPG.

TrustInJanuzaj

Really? Would be great if that's the case. The trailer looks like a collection of those vague Soulslike cutscenes rather than a full on RPG.
You could well be right. I heard someone mentioned elsewhere that it’s meant to be open world but I can’t find any confirmation around.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
God please dont make this open world. If I want an open world I can go outside.

Bosws87

Will be the same looping worlds that made the soul series level design so special, can’t see it being anything like open world.

The level design of souls games is absolutely incredible be very strange to change it now.

TrustInJanuzaj

Would you not be intrigued about a Fromsoftware game in a manageable open world? I think their formula could be perfect for that.

TrustInJanuzaj

Will be the same looping worlds that made the soul series level design so special, can’t see it being anything like open world.

The level design of souls games is absolutely incredible be very strange to change it now.
Open world is the logical step if they ever want to open the genre up to the masses. Keeping that open world design nice and tight rather than too sprawling would help maintain areas of classic level design. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
You could well be right. I heard someone mentioned elsewhere that it’s meant to be open world but I can’t find any confirmation around.
I think it's just more open world. It doesn't have NPC's like The Witcher or stuff like that.

Bosws87

Open world is the logical step if they ever want to open the genre up to the masses. Keeping that open world design nice and tight rather than too sprawling would help maintain areas of classic level design. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.
i hope not I’ve got open world fatigue every game trying to force this upon us!

amolbhatia50k

And if you want a closed world you can stay inside like you usually do
lolsies
On a more serious note,it doesn't have to be a ubisoft style open world but they could do a game with a narrative and a tight open world. Just something different which isn't just focused on difficulty, boss fights and customising your build. As I said, I love these games,but I'd like to see expand on their brilliant combat system.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne are kind of open world anyway?

Looks decent, need to see how the mechanics work.
Yeah I suppose they are. I do like a more controlled open world, which gradually opens up as you progress, but the completely open world stuff like Rockstar does or even Breath of the Wild just doesn't do it for me. I need a clear purpose. Obviously mostly down to my personal prefence and honestly it would be sort of intriguing to see what From does with it as @TrustInJanuzaj mentioned.

And if you want a closed world you can stay inside like you usually do
lolsies
On a more serious note,it doesn't have to be a ubisoft style open world but they could do a game with a narrative with a smallish world like God of War or Nier Automata. Just something different which isn't just focused on difficulty, boss fights and customising your build. As I said, I love these games,but I'd like to see expand on their brilliant combat system.
HOW DARE Y...

white text.

amolbhatia50k

Yeah I suppose they are. I do like a more controlled open world, which gradually opens up as you progress, but the completely open world stuff like Rockstar does or even Breath of the Wild just doesn't do it for me. I need a clear purpose. Obviously mostly down to my personal prefence and honestly it would be sort of intriguing to see what From does with it as @TrustInJanuzaj mentioned.
They could go for smallish world like God of War where you could have a genuine narrative, proper cutscenes, character arcs and people to interact with. It's just an idea given as a developer they should be looking to try something new. I'm currently playing Sekiro and absolutely loving it but it isn't actually as different to the Soulsborne games as people make out. Combat system is different but it is still very much all about brutal difficulty, and that sense of achievement. Just combining that with either narrative (like GoW) or exploration (like Subnautica) would be incredible. They obviously know what they're good at won't suddenly make a game that's all about narrative or exploration, but bringing in those elements into a game with such excellent combat would be something.

Bosws87

A genuine narrative in a from software game now you really are asking a lot :lol:

I couldn’t tell you any story from any of them apart from there’s some geezer with massive heavy armour and a guy with the head of an onion.

SuperiorXI

A genuine narrative in a from software game now you really are asking a lot :lol:

I couldn’t tell you any story from any of them apart from there’s some geezer with massive heavy armour and a guy with the head of an onion.
It's interesting how they approach lore in these types of games, not sure I prefer it but it's definitely a unique experience. There's some videos on YouTube that explain the lore of Bloodborne (VaatiVidya the guys name is), it gets quite detailed and is a good watch.

TrustInJanuzaj

i hope not I’ve got open world fatigue every game trying to force this upon us!
Me too but I don't think that's an open-world problem per see. I think the bigger issue is developers trying to go bigger and bigger rather than small and dense. Repeating the same thing 100 times in 1000 different locations quickly gets tiring but I reckon Fromsoftware could take their own spin at it. Having some emergent gameplay coming out of exploring a small open world could have potential.

Rustyspider13

This looks as amazing as expected. Fromsoft open world will be very different than normal open world. I'm guessing it'll be one vast field area with ruins to explore that connects to more isolated areas, kind of like Ocarina of Time. The story beats about defeating lords to collect elden ring pieces are very similar to DS3 though. Not that I mind, the stories are just vehicles to kill bosses in these games, the lore in the item descriptions is where the games shine.

In terms of mechanics, looks almost like for like with DS3. Maybe a bit faster than DS3, not sure if it's as fast as Sekiro. There seems to be a jump button; some kind of stealth and mounted combat are involved too. And of course, the horse can double jump. Hope to see raw gameplay by TGS.

b82REZ

I disagree.

The general sentiment among gamers is open world fatigue. Often the open world adds very little beyond meaningless side quests. Ubisoft are obviously the worst culprits but I can see games this gen moving away from the vast open worlds to more focused, linear games.

Obviously there will be open world games but I don't think they'll be nearly as prevalent as last generation.

Ainu

There's zero chance of From Software turning this into an open world collect-a-thon. I still expect tightly designed locations, a relatively curated progression and their typical style of oblique side quest design.

amolbhatia50k

I disagree.

The general sentiment among gamers is open world fatigue. Often the open world adds very little beyond meaningless side quests. Ubisoft are obviously the worst culprits but I can see games this gen moving away from the vast open worlds to more focused, linear games.

Obviously there will be open world games but I don't think they'll be nearly as prevalent as last generation.
Small semi open world's are the way to go these days. Like Neir Automata or GoW. It gives you a sense of freedom, ensures that there's no bloat and you actually remember every inch of space you explore.

Stuff like Assassin's Creed just feels like you're traversing the same places with new skins. Not many can do a memorable open world like we saw in RDR2 or the Witcher 3 where every part feels believable and relevant.

amolbhatia50k

That's true. I always find the story bits in these games funny. It's like it's been added in at the last moment because there must be some narrative beats.

But one can dream. Part of me has always wanted their lore and combat in a more mainstream game format.

TrustInJanuzaj

I disagree.

See as I said above I think the myth is that this is an open-world issue when I think It's very much a design and development issue. Open worlds when done correctly still offer the most realistic and immersive experience. The issue is that too many developers are just thinking bigger is better when that's not the reality. Personally, I think rather than seeing less open-world games we will see smaller worlds with much denser locations allowing for far more emergent gameplay to take place more often. Better verticality, greater use of interiors, higher density - that has to be the target for the open-world genre.

I think Fromsoftware is perfectly placed to deliver that kind of experience and it would be a benefit to the series. If they can still produce the fantastic level design and integrate it into some more open spaces with exploration possibilities, that would be a massive step forward for their games.

b82REZ

See as I said above I think the myth is that this is an open-world issue when I think It's very much a design and development issue. Open worlds when done correctly still offer the most realistic and immersive experience. The issue is that too many developers are just thinking bigger is better when that's not the reality. Personally, I think rather than seeing less open-world games we will see smaller worlds with much denser locations allowing for far more emergent gameplay to take place more often. Better verticality, greater use of interiors, higher density - that has to be the target for the open-world genre.

I think Fromsoftware is perfectly placed to deliver that kind of experience and it would be a benefit to the series. If they can still produce the fantastic level design and integrate it into some more open spaces with exploration possibilities, that would be a massive step forward for their games.
I completely agree with your first paragraph. However I feel the idea of a traditional open world is the antithesis of what From Soft want from their games. Many will argue that Soulsborne games are open world. I think moving away from that kind of level design would be to the detriment of the game and the world they're attempted to create. I'd be intrigued to see a more open ended Souls game, but i do feel they'll need to have a certain amount of linearity. Bear in the mind they're basically 3d metroidvanias, they don't really work without some sort of direction.

SuperiorXI

Ooh looking forward to this. Just beat DS3 the other day, been trying to beat the DLC bosses (done Sister Freid and Champion Gravetender) but getting my arse handed to me. This will probably make me get a PS5, love these games!

largelyworried

Will wait and see but can't say that made me wildly excited to be honest. The enemies and battling were all very on brand for From and Im sure all the weapons systems and boss battles are great, they always are. But the open world bits didnt really float my boat. In a world where we have BOTW, Witcher 3, RDR2 etc, is this really going to stand up to those?

evil_geko

I like the look of the world, lots of reused animations and sounds from DS games though.

Irwin99

The open world stuff looks extremely formulaic.
Yeah, kind of agree...I think (hope!) it's got enough character and charm to see it through for what it lacks in originality. I thought Ghost of Tsushima was a little over praised considering its faults (enemy AI was laughable) but it had enough heart and character for it to still be a really really good game. Hope this will be too.

This is a day one purchase for me although with Horizon coming out a week before it I hope i'm not burned out with open world fatigue. Maybe I should space them out a bit and play Horizon later.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Yeah, kind of agree...I think (hope!) it's got enough character and charm to see it through for what it lacks in originality. I thought Ghost of Tsushima was a little over praised considering its faults (enemy AI was laughable) but it had enough heart and character for it to still be a really really good game. Hope this will be too.

This is a day one purchase for me although with Horizon coming out a week before it I hope i'm not burned out with open world fatigue. Maybe I should space them out a bit and play Horizon later.
Horizon isn’t out until February 18th.

Ainu

I'm not sure about this one, it seems less focused than the other titles to me. Not sure I like where they're taking this. It's probably still going to be awesome though.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Looks pretty incredible to be honest.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Looks awesome, although I'm still skeptical about the open-world nature of it. I know the From games have a great sense of exploration, but they give you the illusion of being open-world without actually being one. This one is obviously a proper open-world game and I'm not sure whether I want that from one of these games.

Still looks great though and I'm definitely going to play it.

TrustInJanuzaj

Looks pretty cool. I had a feeling they would go open world but it’s a bit of a risk with how great they are at level design anyway. Looks an interesting world anyway and I like the idea of coop too.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
@RedSky I see what you mean about the trees, especially the sequence around 3mins :lol:

I just hope the open world doesn't hurt their usual high level design standards, and they've actually got some decent devs in to update the engine and it isn't all still tied to fps especially on PC.