Gaming Elden Ring - Fromsoftware

Stringer

All the other FromSoftware games are far more linear so if you like the combat of Elden Ring I would recommend Dark Souls 3 as it is similar in that regard. It also has some of the best bosses in the series.

Sekiro is excellent (personally I prefer it to Dark Souls) but it has an entirely different combat system to the other FromSoftware games. It is based on parrying and being aggressive and some people found it difficult to adapt to that.

In terms of story/lore, none of them are told in a straight forward manner but Sekiro is probably the easiest to understand and has more cutscenes than the others which makes it easier to become a bit more invested in the storyline.

b82REZ

It's my first From game, and there are elements that I absolutely love - mostly the combat and the challenge of it all. I've got to a point where I have defeated Margit and Godrick and now I actually feel a bit jaded or even without direction. Maybe I just need a break, but part of the problem is, to me anyway, it doesn't feel like a living breathing world....more like a recurring nightmare. Like the NPCs don't seem to have any life, they're talking statues. The enemies - I don't really know what their motivation is - they're like plants just waiting for you to come along and trigger - I don't now why they're there or what their purpose is (I'm not really sure what mine is tbh). To me, what this game is getting praised for, is the bit I can really take or leave - the open world/exploration...to me this type of game would be better as a more linear and focused game. I have thoroughly enjoyed the "set-pieces" - bosses etc. but the bits in-between haven't inspired me much.

I loved Ghost of Tsushima, yeah it's pretty easy, very easy compared to this, but it felt like a real living breathing world, where everyone had a life and a purpose. It was also beautiful - I could wander and stare for hours at the scenery - I don't get this from Elden Ring at all. I'm thinking maybe Sekiro would be a better fit for for me?

I'm not ruling out returning to Elden Ring, maybe I just got tired of it, I put in a lot of hours just to beat Margit! Godrick, not so much.
Sekiro is more of a linear experience, but bear in mind From don't really do exposition.

You're supposed to exploring a dying world and piecing it all together yourself. For me it's a far more immersive experience as you don't get these story moments show horned in to advance the plot. You can engage with the lore and world as much or as little as you wish.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It's my first From game, and there are elements that I absolutely love - mostly the combat and the challenge of it all. I've got to a point where I have defeated Margit and Godrick and now I actually feel a bit jaded or even without direction. Maybe I just need a break, but part of the problem is, to me anyway, it doesn't feel like a living breathing world....more like a recurring nightmare. Like the NPCs don't seem to have any life, they're talking statues. The enemies - I don't really know what their motivation is - they're like plants just waiting for you to come along and trigger - I don't now why they're there or what their purpose is (I'm not really sure what mine is tbh). To me, what this game is getting praised for, is the bit I can really take or leave - the open world/exploration...to me this type of game would be better as a more linear and focused game. I have thoroughly enjoyed the "set-pieces" - bosses etc. but the bits in-between haven't inspired me much.

I loved Ghost of Tsushima, yeah it's pretty easy, very easy compared to this, but it felt like a real living breathing world, where everyone had a life and a purpose. It was also beautiful - I could wander and stare for hours at the scenery - I don't get this from Elden Ring at all. I'm thinking maybe Sekiro would be a better fit for for me?

I'm not ruling out returning to Elden Ring, maybe I just got tired of it, I put in a lot of hours just to beat Margit! Godrick, not so much.
Personally, I think the world of Elden Ring is beautiful (in places) and just as good as any open-world game I've played over the years. It may not be as technically proficient as GoT, but the art design rivals any game.

The game is just very different from something like GoT. That's probably why it doesn't feel like a living, breathing world to you. It's not to say it isn't, but it's just a bit more esoteric and less obvious. Something like GoT is a bit more generic. Not necessarily a slight on the game, but it's very much an open-world game that's cut from the same cloth as many other open-world games. Personally, I think the world has a ton of personality, life, and character about it. It's just different.

Sekiro is more linear than Elden Ring. But, again, it is a FromSoftware game so you may come up against the same obstacles. Also, the combat is unforgiving, in the sense that if you don't meet it on its terms, then you're not going to get anywhere with it.

mitChley

I'd agree with a lot of this.

I found the world interesting to start but got boring over time and I had little investment or interest in most of the NPCs and the story was all a bit 'meh'. The whole thing felt a little emperors new clothes.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

Completely agree. Even though people think from soft shouldn't alter their formula creating an open "dead" world imo feels like a wasted opportunity and I'm saying this as a great fan of their games. It's also incredibly stressful to navigate the world and only almost ever meet tough enemies and bosses. It lacks what made the most iconic open world games Great.

Noc-Z

ffs
Yeah, a lot of people seem to be saying...it's an open world done without a lot of the usual open world tropes, but with that comes a lot of failings...should it really be open world at all? I'm not sure the open world makes it any more enjoyable or challenging other than adding hours wandering and figuring out. One thing that makes it like a recurring nightmare to me is...kill a camp of soldiers, rest at a Site of Grace....and there they are again!

To me what From seem to do well is the challenge of the combat, boss fights etc. so it's as if they've taken what they do well...these "set-pieces" and thrown them into this giant open world so you have to explore and search for the action....but the exploring is really shallow to me, so I'd have preferred a linear game. Just give me the fights with some focused travel in-between - would that be a lesser experience? I'm not sure what the giant open world adds to the gameplay.

b82REZ

Yeah, a lot of people seem to be saying...it's an open world done without a lot of the usual open world tropes, but with that comes a lot of failings...should it really be open world at all? I'm not sure the open world makes it any more enjoyable or challenging other than adding hours wandering and figuring out. One thing that makes it like a recurring nightmare to me is...kill a camp of soldiers, rest at a Site of Grace....and there they are again!

To me what From seem to do well is the challenge of the combat, boss fights etc. so it's as if they've taken what they do well...these "set-pieces" and thrown them into this giant open world so you have to explore and search for the action....but the exploring is really shallow to me, so I'd have preferred a linear game. Just give me the fights with some focused travel in-between - would that be a lesser experience? I'm not sure what the giant open world adds to the gameplay.
Give me an example of an OW game where the world adds to the gameplay.

They're simply sandboxes for the gameplay to occur in, not create the gameplay moments.

If its emergent gameplay you're after, the Ubisoft games are likely to be more up your alley.

Noc-Z

ffs
Give me an example of an OW game where the world adds to the gameplay.

They're simply sandboxes for the gameplay to occur in, not create the gameplay moments.

If its emergent gameplay you're after, the Ubisoft games are likely to be more up your alley.
Well that's quite easy. There are loads. Maybe the best example being Breath of the Wild. Granted, a lot of it is still empty, but the exploration feels better. The World feels like a playground compared to Elden Ring. And Ghost of Tsushima - feels like a World that exists...the people seem to live there and have lives and direction regardless of your presence.

No I've played lots of Ubisoft open world games, they're not better than Elden Ring...maybe I'm just jaded with the open world games. Or at least when a game seems to be open world for the hell of it...as a gimmick or to stretch out gameplay.

Probably I enjoyed a game like God of War much more than any open world game.

Last edited:

b82REZ

Well that's quite easy. There are loads. Maybe the best example being Breath of the Wild. Granted, a lot of it is still empty, but the exploration feels better. The World feels like a playground compared to Elden Ring. And Ghost of Tsushima - feels like a World that exists...the people seem to live there and have lives and direction regardless of your presence.

No I've played lots of Ubisoft open world games, they're not better than Elden Ring...maybe I'm just jaded with the open world games. Or at least when a game seems to be open world for the hell of it...as a gimmick or to stretch out gameplay.

Probably I enjoyed a game like God of War much more than any open world game.
But the world doesn't create the gameplay, the player and the games mechanics do. Even BoTW is just a sandbox, it just happens to be the most flexible sandbox available.

Many people bounce off that with similar complaints as yours towards ER. The problem you seem to having is comparing apples and oranges.

The world in ER is purposely sparse and "bare". The big event happened years a go and your exploring the dying embers of that world. Similar to almost all Souls games. Based on your tastes I don't think any From game is going to be your cup of tea. There are some common trends that go through all their games, Sekiro may be the exception but still has an awful lot of similarities at the same time.

Gehrman

But the world doesn't create the gameplay, the player and the games mechanics do. Even BoTW is just a sandbox, it just happens to be the most flexible sandbox available.

Many people bounce off that with similar complaints as yours towards ER. The problem you seem to having is comparing apples and oranges.

The world in ER is purposely sparse and "bare". The big event happened years a go and your exploring the dying embers of that world. Similar to almost all Souls games. Based on your tastes I don't think any From game is going to be your cup of tea. There are some common trends that go through all their games, Sekiro may be the exception but still has an awful lot of similarities at the same time.
I think the point is they could have done something different. Interesting npcs or saving a bloody princess from a dragon or something. Exploration is part of the gameplay but what you explore becomes uninteresting after a while.

b82REZ

I think the point is they could have done something different. Interesting npcs or saving a bloody princess from a dragon or something. Exploration is part of the gameplay but what you explore becomes uninteresting after a while.
But they've never done that, they have carved out a niche and they just expanded on that.

All the other Souls games have felt like you were exploring a small part of a larger world, they've just tried to expand that into a larger map and give you a greater feeling of scale and size.

Gehrman

But they've never done that, they have carved out a niche and they just expanded on that.

All the other Souls games have felt like you were exploring a small part of a larger world, they've just tried to expand that into a larger map and give you a greater feeling of scale and size.
I just feel they are good enough to try and to their formula. Now they have gone open world I wish they would add more classical open world elements into their next game.

b82REZ

I just feel they are good enough to try and to their formula. Now they have gone open world I wish they would add more classical open world elements into their next game.
Such as?

I'd say they have included most of the traditional OW tropes, they've just done them in typical From style.

Noc-Z

ffs

Well I don't agree that the World doesn't create gameplay. What I think is that maybe it doesn't in Elden Ring...but it can and it does in many other games, open world or otherwise. I think maybe you're thinking of the "World" as just the environment...I'm talking about the contents of the world too...NPCs etc. are part of the World too. Most of the NPCs just stand like statues, what's their purpose in the World?
I might try Sekiro, but I don't know if you read my initial post today, I did say I have loved aspects of Elden Ring and racked up many hours.

Gehrman

Such as?

I'd say they have included most of the traditional OW tropes, they've just done them in typical From style.
More npc encounters, perhaps even villages with interesting characters in them. Not necessarily go full witcher 3 but some similar stuff that provided memorable characters and encounters and yeah a world that feels living.

Noc-Z

ffs
More npc encounters, perhaps even villages with interesting characters in them. Not necessarily go full witcher 3 but some similar stuff that provided memorable characters and encounters and yeah a world that feels living.
Exactly what I'm trying to explain, it doesn't feel like a living, breathing World. Doesn't mean some of the gameplay isn't outstanding but then they parts would have been great if the game was linear. The NPCs just stand there, they have no life. Even the voices don't seem to come from them...it's like a voice in your head. What are they doing just stood there, do they have a life or a purpose other than as a plant for you to stumble on? The tree sentinel - what's he about? He just mindlessly roams, waiting to fight you. He's got no other enemies or reason to be roaming does he? Just you. I enticed a giant out into the open, near a soldier camp, they got involved but only to fight me...so now I'm fighting a giant and soldiers. Wouldn't they get involved with each other? They both just want to kill me than carry on doing nothing. Again, I must stress, all this said I do love the combat.

b82REZ

Well I don't agree that the World doesn't create gameplay. What I think is that maybe it doesn't in Elden Ring...but it can and it does in many other games, open world or otherwise. I think maybe you're thinking of the "World" as just the environment...I'm talking about the contents of the world too...NPCs etc. are part of the World too. Most of the NPCs just stand like statues, what's their purpose in the World?
I might try Sekiro, but I don't know if you read my initial post today, I did say I have loved aspects of Elden Ring and racked up many hours.
You have a very loose definition of the word world in this regard. You want this game to mimic other games when it's tone and setting is the antithesis of those types of games. I've said it numerous times in this thread, this feels to more like a spiritual successor to SotC, another game that has an "empty" open world.

You've only really reached the second main boss of the game before feeling the fatigue, you've barely scratched the surface. You'll likely find the same issues in their other games. I initially couldn't get into Dark Souls, way back when. At the time I had very similar complaints to you, then eventually something just clicked and I can't get enough of them now. The world building and lore is probably my favourite aspect.

If you go into these games with the mindset of; they build world very unlike other games and accept you will keep dying and fighting the same or similar enemies you may find you get less frustrated. Or it may just be these types of games are not for you and that's completely fine too.

Noc-Z

ffs
You have a very loose definition of the word world in this regard. You want this game to mimic other games when it's tone and setting is the antithesis of those types of games. I've said it numerous times in this thread, this feels to more like a spiritual successor to SotC, another game that has an "empty" open world.

You've only really reached the second main boss of the game before feeling the fatigue, you've barely scratched the surface. You'll likely find the same issues in their other games. I initially couldn't get into Dark Souls, way back when. At the time I had very similar complaints to you, then eventually something just clicked and I can't get enough of them now. The world building and lore is probably my favourite aspect.

If you go into these games with the mindset of; they build world very unlike other games and accept you will keep dying and fighting the same or similar enemies you may find you get less frustrated. Or it may just be these types of games are not for you and that's completely fine too.
Yeah maybe just not entirely for me but I did love the boss fights I've done so far. I loved SotC, it's quite empty and repetitive too. It's been years, but I think the camera and controls were pretty bad. But I remember the World, I think it had more character, narrative, lore etc. than Elden Ring, and definitely more fun!

Maybe I'm just jaded - took me hours and hours to get to where I am. Maybe just not my kind of thing deep down - it's all subjective/taste based.

b82REZ

Yeah maybe just not entirely for me but I did love the boss fights I've done so far. I loved SotC, it's quite empty and repetitive too. It's been years, but I think the camera and controls were pretty bad. But I remember the World, I think it had more character, narrative, lore etc. than Elden Ring, and definitely more fun!

Maybe I'm just jaded - took me hours and hours to get to where I am. Maybe just not my kind of thing deep down - it's all subjective/taste based.
The thing is the opening area of ER is probably the blandest area of the game. There is a huge variety of biome, and the map is fecking huge.

Gehrman

I just don't see how adding more characters, more "life" and yes Witcher 3 elements would fail to make an open world From Soft game better. A lot people have always said that the perfect game is The Witcher 3 with Souls combat etc.

b82REZ

I just don't see how adding more characters, more "life" and yes Witcher 3 elements would fail to make an open world From Soft game better. A lot people have always said that the perfect game is The Witcher 3 with Souls combat etc.
Because more doesn't necessarily mean better. Having the restraint to let the game speak for itself, not littering the overworld with copy and paste NPCs giving exposition dumps is a very deliberate choice.

Gehrman

Because more doesn't necessarily mean better. Having the restraint to let the game speak for itself, not littering the overworld with copy and paste NPCs giving exposition dumps is a very deliberate choice.
A bit of variety never hurts. Could do better than the finger readers.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Ok so this far into the game (in Nokron) I've only just discovered about reactivating great runes at the divine towers. :lol:

(and likewise using them with rune arcs)

I swear I pick up so much stuff in this game and have no idea what to do with it.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Time for a character respec again as well. Think I'm high 70's. Had some decent fun with the Bloodhound Fang but it's too slow and I prefer something quicker. Had a play with the twinblade and that was pretty fast if not high in damage output.

Any dex based weapons/builds that people can recommend for someone high 70's?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Time for a character respec again as well. Think I'm high 70's. Had some decent fun with the Bloodhound Fang but it's too slow and I prefer something quicker. Had a play with the twinblade and that was pretty fast if not high in damage output.

Dual katanas. Great craic and very different to the fang. You’ll get the rivers of blood soon which is insane and rips through some of the late game bosses.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Rivers of Blood?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Dual katanas. Great craic and very different to the fang. You’ll get the rivers of blood soon which is insane and rips through some of the late game bosses.
Rivers of Blood?
Sounds good. Not quite there yet. What do you recommend as a second Katana? I think I have the Uchi in my inventory somewhere. Stick some smithing stones into that and buff it with an Ashes of War?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Sounds good. Not quite there yet. What do you recommend as a second Katana? I think I have the Uchi in my inventory somewhere. Stick some smithing stones into that and buff it with an Ashes of War?
Double rivers of blood :D

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

Dual Katanas are fun for a bit, so are dual twinblades. Dual whips is my kink though ;)

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Ooh matron. I might try dual twinblades for a bit then as I already have them. Will stick bloody slash on one of em.
I think I'm running one with bleed and one with frost. Dual bleed is way too op.

Also if you want bleed for the OP, I did have a build with two curved swords (you get them from the skeletons in catacombs I think) that hit 4 times every running/jump attack, that built bleed up insanely fast.

Kaos

Nagakiba, its an Uchi with greater range essentially. But an Uchi will also suffice.