Gaming Elden Ring - Fromsoftware

Godfather

Wanted to play through NG+ but decided I can't be arsed after Godrick anymore. Any other good games out there for the PS5 at the moment?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Wanted to play through NG+ but decided I can't be arsed after Godrick anymore. Any other good games out there for the PS5 at the moment?
Both Returnal and Demon's Souls remake are on the new PS Plus tier which just launched, you'd probably like both of them if you liked ER.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Both Returnal and Demon's Souls remake are on the new PS Plus tier which just launched, you'd probably like both of them if you liked ER.
Is the PS plus tier where you pay more for it to get more content? I think they are taking the piss. Retunal is like 70 pounds on playstation store, but you can get for 20 quid on disc. Apart from Returnal I can't see what good games they have to offer.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Horizon is really good, not feeling it quite as much as I was with Zero Dawn but a great game nonetheless.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Breathtaking game in scope. Very approachable - this is just my second From Software game after the Demon Souls remake, by Blue Point but from From...

I have to say though that the boss fights do not seem as refined as in Demon Souls. I don't recall a single boss being a cheat. But with Elden Ring there's this huge unnatural lag with some attacks the seem very contrived as if only to create a challenge but just comes off to me as cheap. Aside from that/regardless just awesome game and I can understand why it's touted as a game of the year contender.
The delays are a set length or position based so they are easy enough to learn. Elden Rings AI is almost all relative to player position, so when enemies set up an attack they will either wait x frames or swing when the player is in the right position.

Ted Lasso

Demon Souls I played through already. Might give Returnal a shot cheers!
What'd you think of Demon Souls versus Elden Ring? I quite like ER but DS felt so compact and buttoned up I might have to put that experience higher, especially as my first souls game. Love both mind you, just that thinking about it one stands out more.

Returnal - I can't say enough good things about. Absolutely mind blowing fun. I'm going to replay it after ER with all the new DLC

Ted Lasso

The delays are a set length or position based so they are easy enough to learn. Elden Rings AI is almost all relative to player position, so when enemies set up an attack they will either wait x frames or swing when the player is in the right position.
It's not so much about learning them, just the way it comes off to me - unnatural. I was just writing in the reply above a second ago that I think demon Souls remake stands out to me as more buttoned up and sublime. It's a smaller package but it felt more refine. Suppose that's to be expected with a re make.

Elden Ring is still without doubt breathtaking in scope and hellish fun. Just minor gripes.

Godfather

It's not so much about learning them, just the way it comes off to me - unnatural. I was just writing in the reply above a second ago that I think demon Souls remake stands out to me as more buttoned up and sublime. It's a smaller package but it felt more refine. Suppose that's to be expected with a re make.

Elden Ring is still without doubt breathtaking in scope and hellish fun. Just minor gripes.
My favorite FS game remains Bloodborne. As for Demon Souls vs Elden Ring: Pretty hard to compare. DS is an old game that they polished really well but you still felt its age. Especially the bosses were a tad easy.
ER is a really good game but there's no way I'd go through half of the stuff again. It's almost too big.

padr81

Supports
Man City

For sure some of their skills do defy logic like pausing mid swing etc.. I think it's to compensate for smoother player controls

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah I thought about that not so sure yet. Is the combat system any good?
Combat is good, ton of options on how to get the job done. My only issue is I myself tend to fall in to doing everything the same way.

My major nitpick is the climbing mechanic, really annoying for some reason.

Nickosaur

Haven't been drawn back to this in a few months. Last major boss I remember was the big worm at the end of the Lakes area (google says it was Magma Wyrm Makar) which was quite tough. Looked like i'd just reached a new area but put the game down/went on holiday/started up Football Manager again and haven't been back since.

Was really enjoying it but I do find that so much of the game is 'hidden' and not really explained. I like that to an extent - but honestly the game rewards googling rather than actual trial and error.

Gehrman

Haven't been drawn back to this in a few months. Last major boss I remember was the big worm at the end of the Lakes area (google says it was Magma Wyrm Makar) which was quite tough. Looked like i'd just reached a new area but put the game down/went on holiday/started up Football Manager again and haven't been back since.

Was really enjoying it but I do find that so much of the game is 'hidden' and not really explained. I like that to an extent - but honestly the game rewards googling rather than actual trial and error.
Totally yeah. Finding the hidden areas like the haligtree just isn't happening.

Kaos

As much as I like these games, there's no way I could enjoy them without google. I don't mind a bit of immersive gameplay, but in a game as punishing and unforgiving as this, I'll pass on the blind approach.

caid

As much as I like these games, there's no way I could enjoy them without google. I don't mind a bit of immersive gameplay, but in a game as punishing and unforgiving as this, I'll pass on the blind approach.
I tried the first dark souls without a guide, multiple times. It was a terrible experience to be honest. I went everywhere except the right way at the start. Went down to pinwheel, made it pretty far into the flooded city, had a key from character creation that let me get pretty far into blighttown. It was probably my 4th or 5th attempt at the game before i even saw undead burg (outside of running past havel at one point or another maybe).
Same with demons souls on the ps3, I just bounced off that and was completely mystified how anyone thought it was good.
They're a hell of a lot better signposted nowadays and i went through elden ring the first time by just looking up the level of each area and stumbling around a bit.
Googled the odd bit i was stuck at, like the Liurnia divine tower and finding out i needed to finish ranni's quest to get further.

dinostar77

Finally beat Malenia; just played really aggressive and tried to stagger her, especially on the second phase. For me, she is definitely a top three boss with regard to difficulty in the From Software games.
There are videos on youtube of people killing her in under 10 seconds. Some crazy builds out there that FS keep nerfing with each patch.

dinostar77

I tried the first dark souls without a guide, multiple times. It was a terrible experience to be honest. I went everywhere except the right way at the start. Went down to pinwheel, made it pretty far into the flooded city, had a key from character creation that let me get pretty far into blighttown. It was probably my 4th or 5th attempt at the game before i even saw undead burg (outside of running past havel at one point or another maybe).
Same with demons souls on the ps3, I just bounced off that and was completely mystified how anyone thought it was good.
They're a hell of a lot better signposted nowadays and i went through elden ring the first time by just looking up the level of each area and stumbling around a bit.
Googled the odd bit i was stuck at, like the Liurnia divine tower and finding out i needed to finish ranni's quest to get further.
Just started this, going in blind. I've played and completed all the previous FS games of this type so not too worried.

Only thing that could be a pain is that i dont have a PS plus sub anymore so will be playing in offline mode. Cant read any notes left by other players and cant call for help if i well amd truly get stuck on a boss.

Shame the flame sword was so badly nerfed in patch 1.04. It looked awesome. The damage output was incredible.

Gehrman

Just started this, going in blind. I've played and completed all the previous FS games of this type so not too worried.

Only thing that could be a pain is that i dont have a PS plus sub anymore so will be playing in offline mode. Cant read any notes left by other players and cant call for help if i well amd truly get stuck on a boss.

Shame the flame sword was so badly nerfed in patch 1.04. It looked awesome. The damage output was incredible.
You can always not install the patches since you are playing offline anyway. Doesn't sound like you are going in blind. Ash summons are your friend if you need someone to draw aggro. Mimic tear before it got nerfed could beat almost all bosses solo.

dinostar77

You can always not install the patches since you are playing offline anyway. Doesn't sound like you are going in blind. Ash summons are your friend if you need someone to draw aggro. Mimic tear before it got nerfed could beat almost all bosses solo.
Good point about uninstalling the patches. I googled overpowered build for early game and thats how i read about the flame sword though ive not watched any videos.

Two things this game needs, is 1. A pause button when playing offline. 2. A OP build that doesnt get nerfed for those of us who are parents and don't get the spare gaming time we used to. Maybe make it so that the OP build cant be used in NG+ or something.

largelyworried

Good point about uninstalling the patches. I googled overpowered build for early game and thats how i read about the flame sword though ive not watched any videos.

Two things this game needs, is 1. A pause button when playing offline. 2. A OP build that doesnt get nerfed for those of us who are parents and don't get the spare gaming time we used to. Maybe make it so that the OP build cant be used in NG+ or something.

Great when the kids start shouting.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Gotcha suckers! Malenia with no summons, no summoning ashes, no buffs, no magic, no wondrous physick, no rune arc, no bloodhound step, no parry, no shield, no range, and genuinely no pants. Solo on the dolo, dual wielding puny daggers, all brag. All up in her grill, hunting for those fleeting pockets of safety and dying a lot, a lot.

What the feck is this boss? Why has she got more health than Midir? Why does this game hate short range melee so much? Yes she's the hardest Soulsborne boss I've fought, both in terms of her moveset: timings, variety, tiny punishment windows. But also in terms of her relentless power: crippling attack damage, miles of health, health regeneration and worst of all, her seemingly endless pool of endurance. She's a brilliantly designed boss (she might be my favourite), and was still fun even after several hours of failed attempts but she should be reasonably killable using all styles of play. She was the only time I considered breaking tradition and going to get the katanas but feck doing all the upgrade hunting.

For all her player trolling idiosyncrasies Sister Friede is still a favourite boss of mine. I like being kept on my toes and having to rethink how and when to use the evasion mechanics and having to work through different strategies. But if you had her hit twice as hard, gave her 5 times the health, and made her relentlessly aggressive then you detract from what makes the boss interesting through overkill.

In terms of spectacle I think this is the best Fromsoft game but the late game bosses are a total mess. Long sweeping hitboxes, in your face spam damage, extended roll-catching, ganking, delayed weapon swings, relentless combos into combos. This isn't a git gud ethos but one that encourages players to buddy up, buff up, range up, distract the boss and stagger damage them to completion. Short range melee should be hard but it should also be viable and fun.

And feck those gargoyles, who signed that load of shit off?

largelyworried

Gotcha suckers! Malenia with no summons, no summoning ashes, no buffs, no magic, no wondrous physick, no rune arc, no bloodhound step, no parry, no shield, no range, and genuinely no pants. Solo on the dolo, dual wielding puny daggers, all brag. All up in her grill, hunting for those fleeting pockets of safety and dying a lot, a lot.

What the feck is this boss? Why has she got more health than Midir? Why does this game hate short range melee so much? Yes she's the hardest Soulsborne boss I've fought, both in terms of her moveset: timings, variety, tiny punishment windows. But also in terms of her relentless power: crippling attack damage, miles of health, health regeneration and worst of all, her seemingly endless pool of endurance. She's a brilliantly designed boss (she might be my favourite), and was still fun even after several hours of failed attempts but she should be reasonably killable using all styles of play. She was the only time I considered breaking tradition and going to get the katanas but feck doing all the upgrade hunting.
I find the fight robotic in a way that I don't find with other memorable From bosses. Its like there's only one response to each of her moves and the fight boils down to doing that one thing for each move near flawlessly 50 times in a row to beat her. The heal back mechanic means that taking risks in the fight is rarely worth it, and the WFD means that you can never risk running down your stamina bar or being positioned badly, so there's little reward for playing off the cuff and taking advantage of an unexpected opening. Not to mention the fact she cheats anyway. Instead it rewards you for playing it safe, or just straight up abusing a bleed/cold dual wield build. Its interesting to throw different builds at her, but it could be an awful lot more fun, and I think the WFD and healing mechanics kind of spoil the fight.

Compared with Isshin say, where there's lots of available responses to his moves, and your differing responses will set you up for different follow up attacks down the line, giving the whole thing much more of a pleasing & strategic flow.

In terms of spectacle I think this is the best Fromsoft game but the late game bosses are a total mess. Long sweeping hitboxes, in your face spam damage, extended roll-catching, ganking, delayed weapon swings, relentless combos into combos. This isn't a git gud ethos but one that encourages players to buddy up, buff up, range up, distract the boss and stagger damage them to completion. Short range melee should be hard but it should also be viable and fun.

And feck those gargoyles, who signed that load of shit off?
Agree re the bosses. The whole game has power creep. By the time you reach Morgott youve got a boss with the moveset of a final boss encounter. That's a great fight, but after that point its like the only way they could top it was by adding tonnes and tonnes of tricks to catch you out, and it gets pretty old. You can't keep adding endless toppings to a burger and making it better, too many and it ends up a mess.

For what its worth, I kind of give the gargoyles a pass for nostalgia's sake, since the format for that battle is so old. But it would be a lot more palatable if they weren't spamming duo & trio fights right the way through the game.

Kinky Melinky

Just bought this yesterday evening on PC. Probably not the best time to start the game given I have exams in the next 2 weeks but I'll have a dabble over the weekend. It appears to be very like Dark Souls Remastered that I thoroughly enjoyed. Bear in mind I read absolutely nothing about this game and didn't even know it was linked to Dark Souls. This pleases me.

Chairman Steve

PVP update is getting released tomorrow, titled Arena/Colosseum

Last edited:

largelyworried

PVP update is getting released tomorrow, titled Arena/Colosseum

This is too late for much of the huge audience it got on day one, a lot of players have long since moved on. The game's been out 10 months already and they're only opening up locations that were clearly there on release day. Not to mention the fact that the PVP was an unbalanced mess for so long. I'll do another run through of the game after the DLC comes out, but this update isn't really enough to make me want to pick it up again now.

I also found out they nerfed waterfowl dance in the end (or more accurately, they changed your light roll so you can now outroll the first flurry). After all the hullabaloo about that move, they changed it, but only months after the game came out.

b82REZ

This is too late for much of the huge audience it got on day one, a lot of players have long since moved on. The game's been out 10 months already and they're only opening up locations that were clearly there on release day. Not to mention the fact that the PVP was an unbalanced mess for so long. I'll do another run through of the game after the DLC comes out, but this update isn't really enough to make me want to pick it up again now.

I also found out they nerfed waterfowl dance in the end (or more accurately, they changed your light roll so you can now outroll the first flurry). After all the hullabaloo about that move, they changed it, but only months after the game came out.
I don't thinks it's intended to draw back lapsed players. It's specifically for those that play PvP.

James_42

There will be Story dlc coming eventually, and it's never too late for free dlc, look at all the people that went back to Cyberpunk because of a recent anime and that game had a joke of a launch compared to Elden Ring.

largelyworried

I don't thinks it's intended to draw back lapsed players. It's specifically for those that play PvP.
My point is that if they'd released updates sooner might have turned more of those new players into new PvP players.

b82REZ

My point is that if they'd released updates sooner might have turned more of those new players into new PvP players.
Unlikely IMO.

The PvP is so niche and hard for new players to get in to, most of the user base will have likely been playing online since the OG Demon's Souls.

largelyworried

Unlikely IMO.

The PvP is so niche and hard for new players to get in to, most of the user base will have likely been playing online since the OG Demon's Souls.
That's an exaggeration, ever since DS2 they've made big steps to make PVP easier to access in each game. Elden Ring has done the same again, the new PvP modes look fun and they're easy to dial in. So they clearly want it to be played. Its just that they added it a long time after most people stopped playing it.

Chairman Steve

My hunch is the real DLC is getting shown off at The Game Awards. Geoff Keighley is buddied up with FromSoft and they‘ve given him exclusives before.

Maybe have something cool like GRRM announce it on stage or via Zoom or something.

largelyworried

My hunch is the real DLC is getting shown off at The Game Awards. Geoff Keighley is buddied up with FromSoft and they‘ve given him exclusives before.

Maybe have something cool like GRRM announce it on stage or via Zoom or something.
That would be cool. While single player DLC is inevitable, it would still be good to get it confirmed. I'm interested in the bosses, I think its fair to say they were divisive in the From community, it'll be interesting to see if they double down or change direction.

CallyRed

So I have tried my hand at both Bloodborne and Demon Souls and I just can't make any decent progress, I'm just not good enough. I'm like Norwich City, good at a certain level but not good enough at the elite level.

Is there any point in me getting this or will I just be frustrated as feck?

SuperiorXI

So I have tried my hand at both Bloodborne and Demon Souls and I just can't make any decent progress, I'm just not good enough. I'm like Norwich City, good at a certain level but not good enough at the elite level.

It's easier than Bloodborne, it's the most accessible of the Souls-type games. You can go easy mode with the right setup.

CallyRed

It's easier than Bloodborne, it's the most accessible of the Souls-type games. You can go easy mode with the right setup.
Interesting, thank you! Annoying that it's not one of the trial games on PS + premium

Irwin99

While it is undeniably tough, ER is actually a little more accessible than the previous games, in my opinion, due to its flexible open world and design. If you get stuck on something you can just say 'nah i'm not doing this at the moment' as there's no point in banging your head against the wall against a boss when there's so much to explore.

Also, the summons do help enormously in boss battles.