Eliaqim Mangala

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Adisa, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Aug 13, 2019

yumtum DUX' bumchum

€52m, turns out it was actually 53.5m, thanks for pulling me up for being a little short. xox
  2. Aug 13, 2019

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

3. Aug 13, 2019

Gentleman Jim It's absolutely amazing!

Supports:
    city
    Perhaps quote the figure in Roubles next time. Will look even more crazy then.
  4. Aug 13, 2019

When you can spend £200m in 3 years on fullbacks, I don't think it matters who your director of football is.
  5. Aug 13, 2019

Supports:
    city
    Agree but suddenly switching the amounts spent from £ to € with no indication is what the poster did.
  6. Aug 13, 2019

yumtum DUX' bumchum

Yeah, 'cause quoting a transfer in € is such a misleading thing to do between two European clubs. Please don't quote this post, I prefer debates with people who can admit when they're wrong.
  7. Aug 13, 2019

True.
  8. Aug 13, 2019

Supports:
    city
    If you want to extend the debate to transfers in general over Bergiristain's time at City you ain't going to win that argument.
  9. Aug 13, 2019

Supports:
    city
    If I'm wrong I'll say so.
    Your fellow red in the post after yours agrees with me that you are the one that's clouded the issue.
    England has never had the euro as its National currency and if you want to quote a fee an English club pays you should make it clear if you want to change the amount to Euro not try to wriggle your way out of it when you are caught out.
    If you don't want to debate with me then go ahead and block me. I can live without your style of "debate".
  10. Aug 13, 2019

He joined in 2012 yeah? There's some pretty horrendous stuff going on in those first few years, until Pep handed his shopping list in sometime around 2015.
  11. Aug 14, 2019 at 00:01

R'hllor Full Member

12. Aug 14, 2019 at 00:13

Supports:
    city
    Yeah, it was originally reported that he was going to cost 26m then it was 32m then when all the part owners had been bought out it was an eye watering 42m.
    He looked OK at the start but injuries and poor decision making skills soon caused him to be dropped and eventually marginalised.
  13. Aug 14, 2019 at 00:16

andyox Full Member

Supports:
    Manchester City
    I don't think you can totally credit Txiki. There have been a fair few shockers under his watch too (step forward Wilfried Bony...). But it's definitely true that there has been a switch in our transfer policy from probably 2015 onwards where we have targeted mainly younger players (I mean younger than we were targeting before) and our "hit rate" has certainly improved. We had quite a number of highly paid players from the 2012-15 era that flopped and we couldn't get rid of. Mangala is probably the last one of those to go. We now have a younger squad with multiple players who are worth significantly more than what we paid for them.
  14. Aug 14, 2019 at 09:06

yumtum DUX' bumchum

I really dont care who agrees with you, I regularly quote fees in € (look at my post history if you're that way inclined) so I'm not sure exactly how I clouded the issue? I made a standalone comment on how expensive he was?

I've never edited my post so I'm not sure how you've caught me out? If you want me to apologise for not putting the € sign in front of the figure in my original post then I will, but dont try saving face be telling me I was wrong. You just got a puffy little chest when you seen something a little insulting about your club.
  15. Aug 14, 2019 at 10:14

Supports:
    city
    You said you don't want to debate with me. Make your mind up.

You're on ignore.
  16. Aug 14, 2019 at 10:59

yumtum DUX' bumchum

:lol: bait and run baby.
  17. Aug 14, 2019 at 11:34

André Dominguez Full Member

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    This was a strange transfer even for Porto fans. Mangala was a player with fantastic physical skills (speed, strength, jumping, etc), and he was actually decently skilled on the ball, but he was very keen to loose concentration and composure in the worst possible moments (he was responsible for some massive fails)

The base to become an exceptional defender was there, but personality wise made his progression stop.
  18. Aug 14, 2019 at 12:25

Rooney in Paris Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down Scout

Your stance here is pretty ridiculous - whether in € or pounds, it was a ridiculous price to pay an overall really mediocre defender. The original post you quoted stated that the transfer fee was madness, which it indeed was. If you feel you've achieved anything by specifying it was in € and not pounds, that's good for you.
  19. Aug 14, 2019 at 13:00

Dec9003 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I can see where @Gentleman Jim is coming from, when I read the original post I assumed it meant 50 million pounds rather than euros, as I imagine many posters did.
  20. Aug 14, 2019 at 13:10

Yorkeontop Full Member

A brain fart artist extraordinaire.
  21. Aug 14, 2019 at 13:12

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

Yeah, somehow the core point was missed, that it was very huge transfer fee (IIRC it was transfer record for a defender).
  22. Aug 14, 2019 at 13:22

yumtum DUX' bumchum

Easy way to find out what I meant, ask, not come back with a quip.

Like I said to him I regularly quote in € when it comes to continental teams (see the Bale thread) and I already apologised to him for not putting the symbol in my original post (cba to do it sometimes on the phone).

Oh well, just one less City fan to see overly defending his club on here. (Not all City are bad ;)).
  23. Aug 14, 2019 at 13:34

AshRK Full Member

Bony, Nolito, Danilo,Mangala, Fernando, Jovetic, Negredo, Patrick Roberts, Navas all these players worth close to 150m turned out to be duds but have been replaced. But here we are still with Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Darmian, Young, Mata who are still here and are not been replaced. This is what United fans mean when they say managers have not received absolute backing like City have given their manager. Ofcourse it does not excuse the job Jose or LvG have done but the board should have been more ruthless.
  24. Aug 14, 2019 at 17:56

Supports:
    city
    Would you be OK if people when discussing for example Di Maria said that he cost 90m?
    I've never said that Mangala was anything other than a total flop I just take exception to people distorting figures, making weak excuses to justify their misinformation and then resorting to name calling.
    If that's ridiculous to you then you have a different definition to the word than I do.
  25. Aug 14, 2019 at 19:57

Rooney in Paris Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down Scout

He wasnt distorting any figures though.
  26. Aug 14, 2019 at 20:33

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate Scout

In City fashion we can settle that argument in AED, Mangala costed 213m.
  27. Aug 14, 2019 at 20:55

Kasper Full Member

Supports:
    Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
    Imagine getting salty that someone used the most common European currency for the transfer sum:lol: "Distorting and making weak excuses". He didnt specify the currency and when asked, he did. What exactly was distorting about it?
    If anyone is making weak excuses to get his knickers in a twist it's you, coming into the thread and trying to distort from the fact that Mangala was a shocking signing.
  28. Aug 15, 2019 at 07:32

Supports:
    city
    I think he was. Several previous posters had discussed how much City had blown on Mangala and the poster randomly threw in 52m. He was the one and only person who used € as the purchasing currency. I say again that if in a discussion about a flop United player someone had randomly lobbed in a € figure it would have caused comment but this poster when tackled about it threw in feeble excuses about “between 2 European clubs”, then decided he didn’t want to debate with me anymore then came back again and made it personal at which point I ignored him rather than say what I really wanted to say as that would have gotten me kicked off the forum.

Read the posts.
    I have twice before said he was a crap signing. For the avoidance of doubt I’ll do it again.
    Eliaquim Mangala was a total waste of a lot of money. Period.
    Happy now?
  29. Aug 15, 2019 at 08:07

pascell Full Member

I was jealous City ended up with Patrick Robert's, any idea where he's playing nowadays? Has he officially left City or still on their books?
  30. Aug 15, 2019 at 08:15

SqualorVictoria New Member

Supports:
    City
    On loan at Norwich. Was at Girona last year, just when he started to enjoy his football there he had some injury setbacks. Before that he was at Celtic for 2 and a half seasons, his second one was perfect, but the last one was probably a bit needless as he already outgrow the league by that time + injuries etc. again.
  31. Aug 15, 2019 at 08:17

pascell Full Member

Thanks for the info, shame about the injuries because he's got the potential to be a great player. Does he have much time left on his contract?
  32. Aug 15, 2019 at 08:40

SqualorVictoria New Member

Supports:
    City
    Signed until 2022 at the exact time when his loan to Norwich was confirmed. But I guess it was mostly down to the possibility of enhancing his resale value a bit... Anyway, I think he still has everything to become a PL regular at the very least.