Eliaqim Mangala

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There were guite a lot of fans pissed we didn't move for him when he joined City.
I remember accusing the club of sour grapes when journos said coaches at United had watched him and thought he was no better than Boumsong. Boy, is this guy terrible. Absolutely atrocious defender.
To think he cost £42m:lol:

bri2013

There were guite a lot of fans pissed we didn't move for him when he joined City.
I remember accusing the club of sour grapes when journos said coaches at United had watched him and thought he was no better than Boumsong. Boy, is this guy terrible. Absolutely atrocious defender.
To think he cost £42m:lol:
His name is Eliaquim as in quim not qim

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Struggling to see how they decided be was worth that much...absolute shambles at times.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Waiting for one City fan to come in and tell us all that we don't know anything and that Mangala has improved a lot.

prarek

Thought he was very good towards the end of last season and the beginning of this but its clear he's still got a lot to learn. Time is on his side though. Still pretty young for a centreback.

Ainu

I'm still baffled by how quickly Nastasić fell out of favour under Pellegrini. By the end of his time there, Boyata was ahead of him in the pecking order.
What ever happened to him? He was supposed to be such a big talent and I remember at least some decent performances from him.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Kept faith him and thought I was going to be justified after he started the season solidly. He's regressed though and I'm really struggling to see him turning it around now, at first it seemed to be just the mental side to the game that was holding him back, now I'm unsure as to whether he even has the talent. He can do a job alongside Kompany but for however much he cost we need more than that, he can't always have a better, experienced defender holding his hand every game. Demichelis did it last season but he's been awful this year.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
If you think about the cost of the signing he has to go down as one of the biggest flops in BPL history. 42 million and needs his hand held by Kompany to even look average.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Is Mangala - Otamendi the most expensive defensive pairing in the history of football? :lol:

prarek

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
What ever happened to him? He was supposed to be such a big talent and I remember at least some decent performances from him.
There were those coke addiction rumours...
Buttner was bought as a backup to Evra. He was supposed to just hold down the fort until Fabio came back on loan. Mangala was bought to solidify their defense. Has not worked so far at all.
Buttner was bought for RvP to have another Dutch lad to talk to, probably.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I think so. Just ahead of David Luiz - Thiago Silva.

Otamendi + Mangala = £69 million
Luiz + Thiago Silva = £65 million

According to transfermarkt.
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-paris-saint-germain/transferrekorde/verein/583
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manchester-city/transferrekorde/verein/281
€92m for those two, £74m for Mangala and Otamendi. About the same.

Still, barmy.
Not sure about those figures. Luiz was £50m (the record for a defender) and Silva was 42 million euros (converted to about £33m at the time) = £83m total

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
There were those coke addiction rumours...

Buttner was bought for RvP to have another Dutch lad to talk to, probably.
:lol:

It's amazing how that rumour has gained ground on this forum. That was literally just one comment made by some random guy on Bluemoon that has seemingly taken off, I can't even remember if he said it as a joke or it was just conjecture.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
He has all the physical tools, but doesn't have the mental elements of defending down-pat. Reminds me of Jones in that respect.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
:lol:

It's amazing how that rumour has gained ground on this forum. That was literally just one comment made by some random guy on Bluemoon that has seemingly taken off, I can't even remember if he said it as a joke or it was just conjecture.
I wouldn't know, just heard it a bunch of times on here.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
He and David Luiz are the two most expensive defenders ever...

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
There was a funny moment when he misread a long ball and it bounced hard over him despite his best effort to jump high and head it. That was ridiculous.

The moment where he utterly misjudged the bounce of the ball and had it go over his head :lol:
That moment indeed :lol:

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Their back line is the only reason why they arent running away with the title.

They always look like conceding no matter who is back there.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
Didn't they sell Boateng?

We still thank the lord that Mancini played him out of position, which allowed us to convince the player to hand in a transfer request to Bayern.

Those 13.5 million Euros were money well invested, Boateng is one of our most important players. Just imagine Kompany alongside Boateng in this City team. It would be disgustingly good and arguably the best CB partnership in the world.

That being said, maybe Boateng would have never developed this way at City. It certainly didn't look like his makeshift role as a fullback was going to change anytime soon.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Kept faith him and thought I was going to be justified after he started the season solidly. He's regressed though and I'm really struggling to see him turning it around now, at first it seemed to be just the mental side to the game that was holding him back, now I'm unsure as to whether he even has the talent. He can do a job alongside Kompany but for however much he cost we need more than that, he can't always have a better, experienced defender holding his hand every game. Demichelis did it last season but he's been awful this year.
Needs to up all aspects of his game very quickly or he'll be shipped out in the summer. Defenders mature later but he's just costing us too much while he's learning (very slowly).