Eliaqim Mangala

MounchesterUtd

If that can even be a possibility, I can give a kidney for us to throw Rojo + 20 mil.
Just throwing an estimate out there, I have no idea how the people who manage clubs value Torres. All I can say is that he hasn't really pulled trees during his stints on loan and last year at Atleti, and his stature as one of the game's best young talents is diminishing by the year. Even Atleti fans are starting to lose patience with him.

ti vu

Sounds like a poor scouting job for City.
Not really. Can be said the same about Bailly, who only broke through after moving to Villareal last season.

The point lies with the conclusion by @JPRouve : potential vs finish product.

Just throwing an estimate out there, I have no idea how the people who manage clubs value Torres. All I can say is that he hasn't really pulled trees during his stints on loan and last year at Atleti, and his stature as one of the game's best young talents is diminishing by the year. Even Atleti fans are starting to lose patience with him.
Yeah I get your point about price estimation. However, about talent I have to disagree. O.Torres is not compatible with the Simeone's style. His Porto loan stint was very good, so he has showed some sign at top level. 21 is very young for central midfielder, especially those who games based on play making.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sounds like a poor scouting job for City.
To be fair, they are not the only one. He was hyped up because of his goals in Europa League, he was wearing the armband and owned his role. He should have stayed at Porto for at least two more years or join a club were he would be tutored by a veteran. City was too big and too soon.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The problem is that he hasn't played a lot for Porto, I think that he spent 4 years there and only played around 60 games with the first team. They bought a potential and treated him like a finish product.
Sounds exactly like what they are doing with Stones

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Totally agree. His price right now is not going to be great and many clubs would probably like to take him on loan compared to the amount willing to spend £15m+ on him. He seems a very nice guy who works really hard so I wish him the best but he's just failed to take his chances at City, he has the potential to become a good defender still so a positive loan spell could be beneficial for all concerned.
So who are your recognised center backs going into the new season, Kompany/Otamendi/stones?

Are you worried Kompanys body is giving up?

MounchesterUtd

Yeah I get your point about price estimation. However, about talent I have to disagree. O.Torres is not compatible with the Simeone's style. His Porto loan stint was very good, so he has showed some sign at top level. 21 is very young for central midfielder, especially those who games based on play making.
I don't believe it's entirely a matter of difference in style. Koke doesn't work super hard on defense, Griezz has a free-ish role up front. Cholo will let you do your thing on offence if you're good enough.

IMO his Porto stint was so-so - in a way, similar in a way to Mata's time at United. He's shown he's capable of turning around games, but he doesn't do it regularly. You have a point that he's still young, but in order to develop, he needs to play regularly and he's at an age where he needs to be allowed to shoulder more responsibilities for the team.

Again, not doubting his ability but his stock has clearly taken a tumble since he was Spain's next young, bright hope in CM. He needs to start proving himself, be it at Atleti or somewhere else.

Why would they sell Torres? Especially basically for peanuts
It's basically potential for potential. Oliver Torres' stock in 2016 is not as high as it was in 2013. Mangala could pan out for Atleti, while Torres could pan out for City. Will be a decent risk to take for both parties.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's basically potential for potential. Oliver Torres' stock in 2016 is not as high as it was in 2013. Mangala could pan out for Atleti, while Torres could pan out for City. Will be a decent risk to take for both parties.
City are under pressure to sell Mangala, Atleti are not, they can just buy him for 15-20 mil and if not they still have Gimenez and Savic as their long-term prospects - so why sell one of their top talents (Torres still is, even if he isn't rated as highly as he was a few years back) to get a player that they don't really need?

MounchesterUtd

City are under pressure to sell Mangala, Atleti are not, they can just buy him for 15-20 mil and if not they still have Gimenez and Savic as their long-term prospects - so why sell one of their top talents (Torres still is, even if he isn't rated as highly as he was a few years back) to get a player that they don't really need?
Savic is a bit injury prone no? IMO it's much better to get something in return for Torres while he's still worth something, especially IF he isn't in Cholo's plans, rather than letting him go on a free like a certain PL club did.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
So who are your recognised center backs going into the new season, Kompany/Otamendi/stones?

Are you worried Kompanys body is giving up?
As things stand yeah with Denayer at the moment but he too might be leaving. Of course I'm concerned about Kompany, his injury problems last year were the worst they've been, it's incredibly frustrating to watch as I truly believe he's the best in the league when he's fit, and he makes the whole defence better when he plays. If I had to bet on it, I'd say Kompany won't manage more than 20 league games, unfortunately.

TehRed

The problem is that he hasn't played a lot for Porto, I think that he spent 4 years there and only played around 60 games with the first team.
Plus he was actually better at left back for Porto if you ask me.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
As things stand yeah with Denayer at the moment but he too might be leaving. Of course I'm concerned about Kompany, his injury problems last year were the worst they've been, it's incredibly frustrating to watch as I truly believe he's the best in the league when he's fit, and he makes the whole defence better when he plays. If I had to bet on it, I'd say Kompany won't manage more than 20 league games, unfortunately.
Wouldn't be too surprised if you went for another CB then?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'm surprised Pep has binned him so quickly. He improved considerably in the last few months of the season. From January onwards, he was pretty decent.
In fact, he was a lot better than Otamendi. I have never seen a CB that spend as much time on the floor as Otamendi. Every tackle has to be a slide-tackle.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Wouldn't be too surprised if you went for another CB then?
I would actually. The plan was always to sign two, with Laporte and Stones the initial targets. Laporte agreed to join before changing his mind so we turned to Bonucci but he proved unattainable. We've got Stones and Guardiola is not the kind of manager to make a signing for the sake of it; at Bayern in his first season he wanted a CM but made it clear it was Thiago or nobody. So I think we won't bother with another CB as there are no top class ones realistically available, plus there have been no murmurs in the media. Kompany/Stones/Otamendi/Denayer will likely be the four we begin the season with, unless the talk of Denayer seeking an exit is true.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I would actually. The plan was always to sign two, with Laporte and Stones the initial targets. Laporte agreed to join before changing his mind so we turned to Bonucci but he proved unattainable. We've got Stones and Guardiola is not the kind of manager to make a signing for the sake of it; at Bayern in his first season he wanted a CM but made it clear it was Thiago or nobody. So I think we won't bother with another CB as there are no top class ones realistically available, plus there have been no murmurs in the media. Kompany/Stones/Otamendi/Denayer will likely be the four we begin the season with, unless the talk of Denayer seeking an exit is true.
So, first choice partnership will be Stones/Otamendi for long periods. If it was my club, I would want Stones paired with a calm composed defender. Not a hothead like Otamendi.

Tarrou

Would be shocked if they get 50% back. His wages gotta be high too and that'll make him difficult to shift.

TJSF

Supports
Benfica
To be fair, they are not the only one. He was hyped up because of his goals in Europa League, he was wearing the armband and owned his role. He should have stayed at Porto for at least two more years or join a club were he would be tutored by a veteran. City was too big and too soon.
I didn't watch every game of him at Porto, but having watched some, I knew beforehand that he would have a tough time at City. He was nowhere near ready in 2014, he still lacked consistency and his ball skills were poor to non existent. In Portugal, he only faced quality strikers maybe 4 ou 5 times in a year, not enough to test him, so the rest of the time, he walked the league. Also, his last season was not that good, he should have lost value, but City were crazy about him.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
So, first choice partnership will be Stones/Otamendi for long periods. If it was my club, I would want Stones paired with a calm composed defender. Not a hothead like Otamendi.
Agreed, saw this video earlier and had to laugh at his tackle on Torres at 38 seconds in. Sums his style up. The ball is there to basically be taken and still he opts to lunge in. Otamendi is one of the best CBs in Europe when it comes to last ditch tackling or one v one situations where he is forced into a decision, it's when he has to use his brain he becomes a liability. He's good and composed on the ball to be fair so him and Stones could be ok, Stones is not aggressive like Otamendi and they might complement each other well. Ideally though I'd want Kompany next to either of them.

kundalini

Didn't Moyes really want to buy him?
Phil Neville scouted him for United while Moyes was in charge. He said last year while commentating on a game, that his scouting assessment had been that Mangala didn't look close to being ready for PL. Indeed I think he said none of the central defenders they watched were suitable. I recall quite a few articles suggesting United were watching Mangala but don't remember any that indicated we ever made an offer.

Moyes is a cautious manager when it comes to transfers so he will want to watch a player several times before making a decision. Hence, all the difficulties he had that first summer transfer window.

Last edited:

IrishRedDevil

A lot is said about City spending, and I know transfer fees have went through the roof recently paving the way for £50m/60m defenders, but to think that City spent £42m for Mangala in 2014 is hilarious. Probably the worst money they have ever spent.

He is a terrible defender having a shocking debut for Everton.

Classical Mechanic

A lot is said about City spending, and I know transfer fees have went through the roof recently paving the way for £50m/60m defenders, but to think that City spent £42m for Mangala in 2014 is hilarious. Probably the worst money they have ever spent.

Possibly the worst money anyone ever spent.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Still can't fathom how Man City paid so much for him. Always looks so poor.

Nanook

Pretty sure is was £32m but still way too much.

Tarrou

Don't think I've ever seen a professional footballer at the highest level look so uncomfortable on the ball.

Gotta be something there though surely? Big Sam will probably sort him out.

IrishRedDevil

He's the worst defender in the league. Atrocious.

City paid Porto £32m and then paid £10m to his third party owners.
Close enough, yeah.

According to the document, which appeared online on Wednesday, selling club Porto only owned 56.67 per cent of Mangala's economic rights.

The remainder was split between The Doyen Sports Investment Limited, who owned 33.33 per cent, with another 10 per cent belonging to an Austrian marketing company.

City had to pay close to £24m for Portuguese giants Porto's share alone, meaning the remainder of the deal took the total to £41.4m.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/eliaquim-mangala-cost-manchester-city-7215303

Nick7

Close enough, yeah.

According to the document, which appeared online on Wednesday, selling club Porto only owned 56.67 per cent of Mangala's economic rights.

The remainder was split between The Doyen Sports Investment Limited, who owned 33.33 per cent, with another 10 per cent belonging to an Austrian marketing company.

City had to pay close to £24m for Portuguese giants Porto's share alone, meaning the remainder of the deal took the total to £41.4m.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/eliaquim-mangala-cost-manchester-city-7215303
Ah thanks for the clarification. Wasn't 100% on the numbers.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He's the worst signing ever made in PL. Absolutely atrocious.

Always remember what our scouts thought about him according to Daniel Taylor.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Fraud of a defender.

Amusing he has a fair few French caps and Laporte doesn't.