Eliaqim Mangala

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Seriously how does Mangala have caps for France while Laporte doesn't have a single one?!:lol:

France are as bad as England for not calling up players at smaller clubs.

I remember that season Saha scored hatfuls for Fulham. France weren't interested, he moved to Man. United and within a week they called him up for a friendly.

Same with Schnderlein, ignored at Southampton and then France kept calling him up once he moved even though his level declined.

Classical Mechanic

Seriously how does Mangala have caps for France while Laporte doesn't have a single one?!:lol:

France are as bad as England for not calling up players at smaller clubs.

I remember that season Saha scored hatfuls for Fulham. France weren't interested, he moved to Man. United and within a week they called him up for a friendly.

Same with Schnderlein, ignored at Southampton and then France kept calling him up once he moved even though his level declined.
Schneiderlin played for France when he was at Soton, more than when he was at United I think.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Schneiderlin played for France when he was at Soton, more than when he was at United I think.
Did he? I stand corrected as always thought he was ignored under 2015 when he moved as he made the euro 2016 squad after his poor first season.

They did call up Kante at Leicester but how could you not given the season he had there.

Classical Mechanic

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
He's the worst signing ever made in PL. Absolutely atrocious.

Always remember what our scouts thought about him according to Daniel Taylor.
Whoever that scout is needs a raise, bang on!

prath92

He's the worst signing ever made in PL. Absolutely atrocious.

Always remember what our scouts thought about him according to Daniel Taylor.
That scout should be given a raise. Same as the scout who deemed lacazette not good enough

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
£40 million for this chap. Yikes.
I read a rumour it was more than that. Don't know how true that is, but apparently, it seems when all was taken into consideration it cost considerably more. If that happened, it's even worse - atrocious footballer.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is he still at Man. City or have they loaned him out again?

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Is he still at Man. City or have they loaned him out again?
He fecked his knee up at Everton under Big Sam, then went through a surgery and just had his first game for the reserves a week or so ago, so obviously there was no chance to even loan him out. Played a massive role in winning the League Cup though!

padr81

Supports
Man City
Available for free in the summer...

Just saying
He's experienced at a league winning side, even turned up in City gear to get a medal after playing more times that season for Everton than City... Jose likes a big strong experienced league winner. You guys should be all over him. Don't wait till his contract runs out... we'll let you have him for £35m in January because you are cross the city and we like you all so much.

He'll always be remembered fondly at City for the PSG game where he dealt with Zlatan like he was a child. Unfortunately for him, that was his only noteworthy performance in a City shirt. Physically he's a beast, he just has no clue how to play football.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
United did spend a long time looking at Eliaquim Mangala, Manchester City’s new signing, but concluded that £32m, with hefty agent fees on top, was too much for a centre-half one of the people involved in the process has described (without it necessarily meaning to sound like an insult) as a “cross between Joseph Yobo and Jean‑Alain Boumsong”.
:lol: looks like it's harsh on Yobo and Boumsong.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Available for free in the summer...

Just saying
Mangala in terms of ability is actually very good. He's good on the ball skills, he's very fast and strong, and determined.
The problem is his personality. His decision making is prone to bloopers which makes him a liability to a team that plays a high defensive line.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I thought he left them years ago, I assume he's on loan somewhere?

Chipper

Adulterer.
One of those situations where the club has the right to trigger an automatic one-year extension? Do that with a view to get a fee for him in the summer rather than let him go for nothing. I'm guessing he'll leave.

28 year olds aren't normally offered one year deals and framing it this way as if he's signed a deal might make naive clubs think he's wanted, actually good, and therefore worth paying for. He's off to China. :p

They’ll probably sell him to New York City for £1bn this summer.
Or this.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Remember a few years back they kept giving Derik Boyata one year extensions when he played 2 games a year.

Guess they wanted to sell Mangala last summer but he did his knee and so this gives them chance to recoup some of his fee.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Checked on bluemoon, some City fans seemingly worried about a possible transfer ban incoming, suggesting it might be just in case that happens.

charlie9882

Checked on bluemoon, some City fans seemingly worried about a possible transfer ban incoming, suggesting it might be just in case that happens.
Simply not the case because he's behind Sandler and Garcia in the pecking order of 'reserve CBs' and that's obviously not including Laporte, Stones, Kompany and Otamendi. He's surplus to requirements regardless of a transfer ban and even then, City will have a chance to appeal it and do business if they do get hit by one.

This extension will purely be to allow the club to recoup some money and not let him leave on a free.

TheReligion

Abusive
Just signed for Valencia... On a free.

Got to be one of the worst ever transfers? £45m literally down the drain!

Kag

Getting rid of unwanted players on huge wages is difficult to do. Lots of them, like Mangala, appear quite happy to sit about, maybe go on a well-paid loan or two, until it expires.

Some folk should bear that in mind with regards to United.

Mangala was shite, wasn’t he?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
52m back when transfer fees weren't completely out of control. Madness.

Bwuk

Getting rid of unwanted players on huge wages is difficult to do. Lots of them, like Mangala, appear quite happy to sit about, maybe go on a well-paid loan or two, until it expires.

Some folk should bear that in mind with regards to United.

Mangala was shite, wasn’t he?
Agreed.

He was utter dreadful. I remember people on here wanted to sign him - never understood why.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
One of the worst transfers of all time. World record fee for a defender and only 57 Premier League apps for them. over his 5 years at the club.
Not as clued up on other clubs' transfer failures, but undoubtedly the worst value for money signing of the post-2008 era at City.

Seems like a decent lad to be fair, just not a very good footballer.

Classical Mechanic

Not as clued up on other clubs' transfer failures, but undoubtedly the worst value for money signing of the post-2008 era at City.

I supposed you’d be looking at something like Denilson to Betis for similar. World record fee and he became an abject flop. Sanchez to United has been up there mind. Massive outlay with zero contribution.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

It was a great summer for you between Bony, Mangala and Fernando. I will always have fond memories for Roque Santa Cruz.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
It was a great summer for you between Bony, Mangala and Fernando. I will always have fond memories for Roque Santa Cruz.
Haha yea you've hit most of the City worst signing bingo there. We also had the post-2012 title win summer transfer window of Javi Garcia, Jack Rodwell, Scott Sinclair, and Maicon.

macheda14

Haha yea you've hit most of the City worst signing bingo there. We also had the post-2012 title win summer transfer window of Javi Garcia, Jack Rodwell, Scott Sinclair, and Maicon.
And then you brought Txiki Begiristain in and proved why having a good director of football is so important, but can also make some big mistakes

Needham

Has the most beautiful name in world football.
But I would never exchange him for a Harry McGuire.