Elon Musk | Owner of X

WPMUFC

Was reading through James O'brien's timeline, refresh the home feed and i'm just spammed with random accounts saying "free top g".

I think i'm going to have to bookmark individual profiles and just forgo "normal" use of twitter.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Was reading through James O'brien's timeline, refresh the home feed and i'm just spammed with random accounts saying "free top g".

I think i'm going to have to bookmark individual profiles and just forgo "normal" use of twitter.
I’ve started using the ‘following’ part of it & haven’t been back into the cesspool ‘for you’ part in days.

roseguy64

Create lists and use those if you need to.

AlPistacho

Things I haven’t found out through Twitter that would have in the past.
1) Lampard Sacked
2) Dani Alves
3) Met police officer suicide
4) lots more over the past few months. But only just realised this week that I no longer get most my news from Twitter.

Actually a shame. That was a good site for getting relevant news without actually going out and looking for it.

AlPistacho

The Tyre Nichols story & video.. heard about it on the news. Literally only thing I saw about it on Twitter was just now scrolling down and someone posting about black on black crime. Of course if you search you’ll find, the hashtag is there but again not trending. So anyone who doesn’t know won’t find it.

It really has become an alt right dream site.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The Tyre Nichols story & video.. heard about it on the news. Literally only thing I saw about it on Twitter was just now scrolling down and someone posting about black on black crime. Of course if you search you’ll find, the hashtag is there but again not trending. So anyone who doesn’t know won’t find it.

Same here. Not trending on the News section let alone the Top Trending section. George Floyd is. Van Jones is. Tyre Nicholas? Nowhere to be seen.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce

I only found out about it on Reddit, I had to manually search Twitter to find any tweets relating to it.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Don’t get why you would want to get your news from social media anyway. It’s not like it’s the same raw story that was happening 10-15 years ago, all the journalists are on there pushing the same narratives they do in MSM.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Don’t get why you would want to get your news from social media anyway. It’s not like it’s the same raw story that was happening 10-15 years ago, all the journalists are on there pushing the same narratives they do in MSM.
If you find people you trust to follow on Twitter you can get the news with a interesting perspective and often details which are omitted by media publications

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
If you find people you trust to follow on Twitter you can get the news with a interesting perspective and often details which are omitted by media publications
Yeah, it's not only about journalist, but also experts, analysts etc. that can develop arguments you won't find in the MSM, especially when it's technical.

AlPistacho

I only found out about it on Reddit, I had to manually search Twitter to find any tweets relating to it.
Exactly. This is the case that best summarises the deterioration in Twitter as source of news. Probably also points to the new bias in the algorithm too as if a cop was beaten and killed like that by a gang I think it would probably be all over peoples timeline

nimic

something nice
Scout

It's about who you follow. I saw lots of mentions of it, because the people I follow (and whose tweets I've liked) are the sorts of people to talk about it. There is plenty of evidence that Elon is suppressing left-wing voices, though.

AlPistacho

That’s not how Twitter worked until musk took over. For me I found most stories through trends and also threads that people posted. I didn’t/don’t follow anyone and the news would just come to me. True I’ll never know what I never found out, but I do know the type of stories I used to find out about but no longer do.

also to @nimic

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Also: people are reporting that his apology did not appear on their feeds organically and they did not get a notification for it despite being subscribed to his tweets so he likely reduced the optics on it to save face.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
He is tiring, right? A new toy on the block soon, the mission to make Twitter a cesspit having been accomplished.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout

Possibly the first decision he has taken that could make a big difference to Twitter's growth if it bears fruit.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Possibly the first decision he has taken that could make a big difference to Twitter's growth if it bears fruit.
Twitter's growth would be even better served if he stopped shit posting on his own platform, thereby scaring away advertisers.

Bert_

I can't keep up with the various changes to the tick system.

From what I gather it's now this?

No tick - Regular twitter user
Gold Tick - Recognised organisation/person that required an indicator to verify it is actually them (original blue tick)
Blue Tick - Regular twitter user paying to be recognised as gold tick user but without getting a gold tick. Just the blue tick the gold tick people used to get?

I'm sure this was a black mirror episode.

twitter thread suggester

Will this not just result in the most controversial users being enticed to become even more controversial?

roseguy64

I can't keep up with the various changes to the tick system.

From what I gather it's now this?

No tick - Regular twitter user
Gold Tick - Recognised organisation/person that required an indicator to verify it is actually them (original blue tick)
Blue Tick - Regular twitter user paying to be recognised as gold tick user but without getting a gold tick. Just the blue tick the gold tick people used to get?

I'm sure this was a black mirror episode.
No, gold is for companies. Grey is for government now.

roseguy64

For some reason, the AOC tweet is showing up as blue here whereas it's grey on twitter.

Maybe this will work...

Bert_

So gold is to make sure he's not sued into oblivion by big corporations. Grey exists so he's not brought before congress. Still will need to deal with people impersonating other public figures once those lawsuits start rolling in. I imagine the solution will be another colour of tick.

What a genius this guy is. Managed to over engineer a simple system that worked because he needed to look like he has a fecking clue what he is doing.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
So gold is to make sure he's not sued into oblivion by big corporations. Grey exists so he's not brought before congress. Still will need to deal with people impersonating other public figures once those lawsuits start rolling in. I imagine the solution will be another colour of tick.

What a genius this guy is. Managed to over engineer a simple system that worked because he needed to look like he has a fecking clue what he is doing
Have you met Musk?