Elon Musk | Owner of X

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
now getting same hyde nazis in my youtube recommended (had been watching star trek videos before, so no connection to anything).

as bad as elon's twitter is, at least the algorithm makes sense (you pay, the rest of us read the garbage you post, and then block you). "respectable" social media promote more hateful content seemingly for the fun of it.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
now getting same hyde nazis in my youtube recommended (had been watching star trek videos before, so no connection to anything).

as bad as elon's twitter is, at least the algorithm makes sense (you pay, the rest of us read the garbage you post, and then block you). "respectable" social media promote more hateful content seemingly for the fun of it.
What would YT gain by promoting RW Nazi channels?

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
If these social platforms lose the general public’s bonafide pre-assumption and collapse for good, like a number of platforms in the past, where will we go… Sam Altman launching chatGPTter only to become the new villain?? :D

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
What would YT gain by promoting RW Nazi channels?
Started around 2 years ago, after a lot of criticism of online echo chambers.
Seems that the algorithm was told to promote one channel outside the usual, including smaller channels. Sometimes it's hunting (i watch vegan videos), sometimes it's this RW stuff, sometimes it's just random stuff i've never seen before, including interesting stuff. Yesterday it was a 50-subscriber Sam Hyde fan and gamer who makes "perhaps they commit more crimes" videos. I blocked a ton at the start, so it's better now.

If you open youtube without a login, Tucker Carlson was on the top 6 videos on the main page often, and anti-woke stuff once every 3-4 times. The radical leftists of CNN reporting on Trump-Russiagate were there a few times too. Apart from these, it was 20 IQ clickbait and reaction videos. Previously it was better quality (or at least more creative than fecking reaction videos) and not right-wing, but that was when boomers and toddlers weren't online.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He’s done a lot of stupid shit but the replies being filled with blue tick morons is the worst and is genuinely starting to ruin Twitter for me.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He’s done a lot of stupid shit but the replies being filled with blue tick morons is the worst and is genuinely starting to ruin Twitter for me.
I haven't ventured out of my 'Following' tab in weeks. It helps a little bit with the blue *****, but they are unfortunately everywhere.

Simbo

This thing needs to die before the '24 elections ideally. Still a severe lack of an adequate replacement however.

Kristjan

Retired Dictator

What the actual feck? If anyone still had any doubt about where Elon stands....
Anyone having doubts about who Elon really is have their heads so far stuck up Elon's arse that they will never find their way out.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
So many people like this are so fecking obvious in who they are but so many give them the benefit of the doubt, and they always shift further and more overt as time goes on.

jeff_goldblum

He's clearly lost the plot. Moving towards mental health territory here.
Nah, he's just a prick and a bigot who has increasingly felt less need to be coy about being bigoted because he's found (and later curated) a like-minded community who love him for it.

I feel like the rush to pathologise people like Musk isn't helpful. A lot of the time it feels like a comforting story people tell themselves so they don't have to examine what actually happened and think about why they didn't see it earlier.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Nah, he's just a prick and a bigot who has increasingly felt less need to be coy about being bigoted because he's found (and later curated) a like-minded community who love him for it.

I feel like the rush to pathologise people like Musk isn't helpful. A lot of the time it feels like a comforting story people tell themselves so they don't have to examine what actually happened and think about why they didn't see it earlier.
Clearly this wasn't the perception years ago though, when he was viewed as strictly from a tech/business lens. Social media and more recently his actual acquisition of Twitter seems to have sent him down a pretty dark path.

Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Clearly this wasn't the perception years ago though, when he was viewed as strictly from a tech/business lens. Social media and more recently has actual acquisition of Twitter seems to have sent him down a pretty dark path.
Or else social media just exposed who he is. The first time I took any notice of him was when he called that Thai cave rescuer guy a peadophile simply because he was told his dumb robot thing wasn’t needed. Pretty clear to me straight away the kind of dickhead he is.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Or else social media just exposed who he is. The first time I took any notice of him was when he called that Thai cave rescuer guy a peadophile simply because he was told his dumb robot thing wasn’t needed. Pretty clear to me straight away the kind of dickhead he is.
He's been on the scene for 25 years, beginning with his dot com companies prior to Y2K. Much of that time he was viewed as a fairly normal tech guy, perhaps a bit eccentric at times. The Thai cave situation was definitely of the first times I noticed his social media antics.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's been on the scene for 25 years, beginning with his dot com companies prior to Y2K. Much of that time he was viewed as a fairly normal tech guy, perhaps a bit eccentric at times. The Thai cave situation was definitely of the first times I noticed his social media antics.
Anyone who watched the video of him having a supercar delivered should have been aware tbh.

jeff_goldblum

Wild that that was half a decade ago.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Anyone who watched the video of him having a supercar delivered should have been aware tbh.
Yeah, saw that after the thai cave. Unfortunately it was a fringe video before

And it all makes sense. Before that i got caught up also with the tech guy advancing humanity.