Elon Musk's epic bacon adventures

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Interestingly I was talking to somebody who works quite high up at Argos the other day and he was saying that where Amazon beat all their competitors to a pulp is their logistics software and infrastructure. It makes sense as the website itself is quite dated, but if you have Prime you can see items routinely coming from Italy to your house in 24 to 48 hours. Multiply that by millions of items and that's a pretty sophisticated system.

He was saying that they've been trying to catch-up on the software side for 5 years and are still nowhere near being able to deliver that many items that quickly and probably won't be for another 5 years (and by that time Amazon will have progressed further).
Yeah I imagine they're miles ahead in terms of the infrastructure to do it. It is impressive, for sure. Argos were on point the one time I used their same day delivery but ever since they've not been able to deliver to me for some reason.

The Firestarter

Interestingly I was talking to somebody who works quite high up at Argos the other day and he was saying that where Amazon beat all their competitors to a pulp is their logistics software and infrastructure. It makes sense as the website itself is quite dated, but if you have Prime you can see items routinely coming from Italy to your house in 24 to 48 hours. Multiply that by millions of items and that's a pretty sophisticated system.

He was saying that they've been trying to catch-up on the software side for 5 years and are still nowhere near being able to deliver that many items that quickly and probably won't be for another 5 years (and by that time Amazon will have progressed further).
Where they beat the others is the gulag type of exploitation of their fulfillment workforce.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's a great idea, if the world wasn't full of horrible cnut capitalists ready to abuse it, in which case, it's a terrifying and awful idea.

SinNombre

It is Elon Musk so there is no idea, and a whole lot of hit air and technobabble which his fanboys will lap up.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I doubt he's doing anything differently to every other Silicon Valley CEO. He's just famous, so it makes the news.

Looking through the replies, I see a lot of people calling Tesla a sham, but if that's the case why do their cars get so many plaudits from all and sundry?

nimic

something nice
Scout
Looking through the replies, I see a lot of people calling Tesla a sham, but if that's the case why do their cars get so many plaudits from all and sundry?
I'm not sure exactly what kind of argument this is. You're basicallly saying "why do some people not like Tesla if everyone likes Tesla?" What are you looking for here? If you're looking for more specifics, engage specific posts from specific posters. Otherwise you're just asking people to recap 32 pages of thread for you.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I'm not sure exactly what kind of argument this is. You're basicallly saying "why do some people not like Tesla if everyone likes Tesla?" What are you looking for here? If you're looking for more specifics, engage specific posts from specific posters. Otherwise you're just asking people to recap 32 pages of thread for you.
I'm on about the Twitter replies pal. Chill your boots.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Okay? Doesn't change the fact that your question was directionless.
Teslas being badmouthed on Twitter.

Yet teslas also on the receiving end of glowing reviews from what car and the like.

Something doesn't add up.

That's it. That's the post.

I'll try harder next time but I can't make any promises.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Yet teslas also on the receiving end of glowing reviews from what car and the like.

People seem to like the cars but aren’t equally as impressed with Musk.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
People seem to like the cars but aren’t equally as impressed with Musk.
I get that, I held the guy to the highest esteem around 2014/15 and am a little bit embarrassed that I bought into his hype.

There's just some bizarre tweets making out that he's some kind of snake oil salesman. I guess that's Twitter...

Conor

What does how car magazines rate Tesla's cars have to do with how much of a dickhead Musk is? I don't think they have a category for founder malevolence in What Car reviews.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I get that, I held the guy to the highest esteem around 2014/15 and am a little bit embarrassed that I bought into his hype.

There's just some bizarre tweets making out that he's some kind of snake oil salesman. I guess that's Twitter...
I saw him speak in person recently. He struck me as someone who is intoxicated by his own hubris and in desperate search of being recognized as relevant by the masses. That's not to say he hasn't done a lot of work with all the 7 or so companies he's working with, but you definitely get the impression he's in it to bathe his own ego in the limelight.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Anyone else get annoyed by that "just Google (thing), thank me later" meme?

The one that photoshops Musk's twitter

SinNombre

He's a salesman and a very good one at that.

Twitter calls him out when he acts as a pseudo engineer and talks technobabble and gives a lot of stupid opinions on unrelated topics.

Also, to the other poster, Tesla cars rank right at the bottom in terms of build quality. There was a recent study that came out which ranked it right at the bottom in terms of the autopilot.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Elon Musk Say He Won't Get Vaccinated for COVID-19: 'Everybody Dies'

Elon Musk appeared on the New York Times podcast, Sway, hosted by Kara Swisher and shared his thoughts on a COVID-19 vaccine, revealing that neither he nor his family would be taking any vaccination whenever it is made available to the public. He provided reasoning by saying that he or his family is not at risk, so there would be no reason to inject whatever serum is determined to be best.

He also cited the low mortality rate for a reason not to get vaccinated. When questioned about his thoughts, Musk said, “Everybody dies."

https://popculture.com/celebrity/news/elon-musk-vaccinated-say-wont-covid-19-everybody-dies/

Hammerfell

Elon Musk Say He Won't Get Vaccinated for COVID-19: 'Everybody Dies'

Elon Musk appeared on the New York Times podcast, Sway, hosted by Kara Swisher and shared his thoughts on a COVID-19 vaccine, revealing that neither he nor his family would be taking any vaccination whenever it is made available to the public. He provided reasoning by saying that he or his family is not at risk, so there would be no reason to inject whatever serum is determined to be best.

He also cited the low mortality rate for a reason not to get vaccinated. When questioned about his thoughts, Musk said, “Everybody dies."

https://popculture.com/celebrity/news/elon-musk-vaccinated-say-wont-covid-19-everybody-dies/

He’s so fecking cool.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Doubly comforting to have it reaffirmed that not only will Musk die soon but so will I. What Daddy Musk can't fix, Daddy Death will.