Elyh Harrison

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Maybe I am wrong but isn't this kid goalie that was playing senior football at 16, or was he only training with the seniors at Stevenage?

Maybe he is not of Courtois level talents but my point is we should target similar pathways for our youngsters contrary to the general feeling on the Cafe that wants to shelter our youngsters untill they turn 20. Chelsea have had much better way of bringing up youngsters recently, and they loan out their kids earlier. So have we in the last year or so, which is positive in my opinion. Whether they reach the level of Courtois or Reece James is up to many factors.

And regarding that bolded part, I think the whole point of having a youth team is to produce players like DDG, not Tom Heaton, undeniably most of them will fall short but that should not move the goalpost.
As far as I know he never made an appearance for the Stevenage first team. In terms of training, he's been training with our first team every now and then too.

I think we shouldn't target any specific type of pathway as the individual pathway for every single player is always unique. For some it's better to keep them at the club longer, for some it's a loan as early as possible, some of them even break into the first team without ever going on loan. Nothing to do with sheltering them. Chelsea's model has been to stockpile young talents, send them on loans and sell them eventually. Losing out on talents like Salah, De Bruyne & Aké while doing it. I'm more than fine with how United operate.

Regarding the bolded part, would you say that the point is to produce players like Alisson, Pope, Emi Martínez or Maignan? Players who were at Internacional U20, on Charlton's bench without playing one minute, at Arsenal U23s and on PSG's bench without playing one minute respectively. Of course we want to produce top players. Whether they go on loan at 19 or not is not the decisive factor. Doing the right thing at the right time is.

If you want to duplicate DDG's pathway, I have a question: would you be happy and willing to make a 19-year old Harrison our first choice gk?

Last edited:

Kostov

As far as I know he never made an appearance for the Stevenage first team. In terms of training, he's been training with our first team every now and then too.
Maybe i have mixed him up with someone else, I had the impression that he had some matches played.

I think we shouldn't target any specific type of pathway as the individual pathway for every single player is always unique. For some it's better to keep them at the club longer, for some it's a loan as early as possible, some of them even break into the first team without ever going on loan. Nothing to do with sheltering them. Chelsea's model has been to stockpile young talents, send them on loans and sell them eventually. Losing out on talents like Salah, De Bruyne & Aké while doing it. I'm more than fine with how United operate.
When I mentioned Chelsea I did not mean Salah and Kevin de Bruyne, they were 21-22 when they bought them and still sold them off for profit. Ake was different and they still sold him for 20m. They have brought up Reece James, Mount, Galagher who all had successful loans prior, we have Rashford, Greenwoon and McT who all went straight to first team football. Henderson can be mentioned as a success though.

Regarding the bolded part, would you say that the point is to produce players like Alisson, Pope, Emi Martínez or Maignan? Players who were at Internacional U20, on Charlton's bench without playing one minute, at Arsenal U23s and on PSG's bench without playing one minute respectively. Of course we want to produce top players. Whether they go on loan at 19 or not is not the decisive factor. Doing the right thing at the right time is.
Well nobody said there is a one way to producing a top GK out there. Even Pope was playing at 16 for Bury, before sitting on Charlton bench. Ederson was senior football at how old 18? So was DDG and Courtois, Oblak, Neuer, Cassilas, Buffon etc. Here we discuss about this 17 year old chances of becoming a United first team GK. The closest a youth GK has come to that over the last 20 years is still Henderson, and he went out on loan when he was 18 years old.

If you want to duplicate DDG's pathway, I have a question: would you be happy and willing to make a 19-year old Harrison our first choice gk?
I don't want to duplicate DDG pathway, that's why I am saying he should go out on loan, I want to duplicate DDG level of quality. Whether that is at 19 or 21 after he has 3 successful loans somewhere remains to be seen. However if we keep him in the reserves until he is 20 the likelier outcome is he becomes another Heaton rather than Emi Martinez.

Bigsid

Nick Pope played for Bury Town (not Bury FC) in Division 8. He made his professional debut for Charlton at 21 before going on loan to Aldershot the season after. I cant believe we are suggesting that a 17 year old lad who has made mistakes galore and hasnt even been picked for his country is capable of being in the first team set up.

top1whoisman

Scout
Nick Pope played for Bury Town (not Bury FC) in Division 8. He made his professional debut for Charlton at 21 before going on loan to Aldershot the season after. I cant believe we are suggesting that a 17 year old lad who has made mistakes galore and hasnt even been picked for his country is capable of being in the first team set up.
Who’s said that?

top1whoisman

Scout
Is that not the debate? Go on loan or jump quickly through the age groups. Maybe ive misunderstood.
Don’t think anyone said that. The discussion was whether to loan him our next year. That’s how I understood it.

Bigsid

Just dont see on form a club wanting to take him but am sure the club will know where his development lies.

top1whoisman

Scout
Just dont see on form a club wanting to take him but am sure the club will know where his development lies.
Yeah I don’t see a club trusting a 17-year old keeper as first choice in general. The poster was apparently talking about the season 2024/25 but it is way too early to say where he is in his development in 1,5 years.

Many young keepers make mistakes that look stupid, as they’re learning the game. Doesn’t mean they are not very talented.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
Btw he has.

top1whoisman

Scout
Will travel to Edinburgh with the first team. Delighted for Harrison, whether he gets to play or not.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Big achievement for him!

top1whoisman

Scout
He was named the Goalkeeper of the Tournament award in the competitive Mladen Ramljak Memorial Tournament.

khoazany

He actually has the same aura I felt Henderson had at this level, but better and more adventurous on the ball for sure.

top1whoisman

Scout
Good to see him training with the first team. With the keeper situation he could end up doing that all season, which would be great for his development.

top1whoisman

Scout
Penalty save and a nutmeg in the first half at OT.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Good to see him playing well. He has all the attributes required to be a very good goalkeeper for any coach that places emphasis on playing out from the back.

Steelered

Impressed by him last night, one mistake for the pen but overall good, look forward to seeing him progress

top1whoisman

Scout
Impressed by him last night, one mistake for the pen but overall good, look forward to seeing him progress
And even in the situation leading to the penalty, I appreciate the bravery and the determination of a 17-year old keeper to come for the cross instead of waiting on the goal line. The reading of the game and decision-making will improve with more experience.

Gungerz

Made his England debut today & kept a clean sheet in a 1-0 win over Morocco.

top1whoisman

Scout
On the first team bench today apparently, probably the reason he didn’t play in either of the academy games yesterday.

Edit: Just in the travelling squad, helping out with warm-ups etc.

Last edited: