Emi Buendia

Harold_Giles

Been banging on about him as a backup/understudy to Bruno/Pogba when they're rested/rotated or injured. He will go to Leicester or Villa and everyone will be like - oh we should have signed him etc.
I'm with you there.

I think he has all the tools to be a solid squad player for any team in the league. Even a key player for most of the PL sides.

What impresses me is not just his attacking play, but relentless running and defensive contribution when needed.
I think he needs to work on his discipline a little, as he tends to foul a little too much.

I really hope Norwich hangs on to him, as there's nothing to suggest we're even looking at him.

Schneiderman

Tbf, if you look at their numbers Buendia certainly is miles more productive.
Buendia's 31 G+A vs Cantwell's 12 G+A

I think Cantwell is promising but right now Buendia is a superior player.
There's literally no comparison to be had. Cantwell wasn't even rated by Norwich fans until the Prem season. Buendia is easily the best player in the Championship. Hope he gives them one more year now they're back up.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Been banging on about him as a backup/understudy to Bruno/Pogba when they're rested/rotated or injured. He will go to Leicester or Villa and everyone will be like - oh we should have signed him etc.
Yeah, he's a talent, and he's also a fighter. He'll go to Arsenal and the rest of what you said will come true.

MadMike

Looked a decent player last time he was in the league without getting spectacular numbers.

A bit premature to suggest he is better than or equal to Grealish or such players, though. He needs a good season in the PL. Arsenal would be a fantastic move for him.
He had a good season in the EPL, didn't he? He was one of the league's most creative players and for bottom table outfit like Norwich.

Ekeke

He had a good season in the EPL, didn't he? He was one of the league's most creative players and for bottom table outfit like Norwich.
A good one for where Norwich were for sure. He didnt get many goals on top of his creativity, but he's shown in the championship this season that he can score plenty of goals too

Abraxas

My point was more in relation to Grealish, who has had a couple of really productive years, not that Buendia was poor in the PL. It was more of a "that was good for a Norwich player" year than one that made him a must buy.

You have to be pretty good with end product to play his kind of role for a top side so that's what I would expect to see from him next if he is going to play at those levels.

Somebody like Pereira for WBA has had a similar time after being very good in the league below. There is something there which clubs will take a look at, most likely.

Abraxas

Think he created something like 300 chances and the next nearest on the list was 100
He also scored 1 goal. Which is not really good enough. He has to do a lot more than that. That is pretty straight forward for an attacking player in terms of what big sides are looking for whereas 300 "chances" requires some elaboration and then interpretation to be meaningful.

He's a talented player on the ball. Not hard to imagine certain clubs picking him up or maybe he can have another go with Norwich. He's better off there unless he's going to get regular football as they may be better this time around. Maybe some of those chances created will go in the net and that would look particularly good for him.

marktan

I was impressed by him when Norwich were in the PL and was shocked no one went in for him when they went down. He lit up the Championship this season with a bag load of goals and assists, I'd again be very surprised if no one was in for him.

We don't really need another attacking midfielder but I would be very happy if we did sign him. A great depth option for our attack, especially since Bruno played almost every game for us this season. At £35m it'd be a steal given VDB cost 40.

AgentSmith

He also scored 1 goal. Which is not really good enough. He has to do a lot more than that. That is pretty straight forward for an attacking player in terms of what big sides are looking for whereas 300 "chances" requires some elaboration and then interpretation to be meaningful.

He's a talented player on the ball. Not hard to imagine certain clubs picking him up or maybe he can have another go with Norwich. He's better off there unless he's going to get regular football as they may be better this time around. Maybe some of those chances created will go in the net and that would look particularly good for him.
I think its important to remember how bad a team Buendia was playing in when assessing his performance level.

He only scored 1 goal and got 7 assists but Norwich were one of the worst performing teams in recent Premier League history, finishing with only 21 points (13 points off 19th). They also only scored 26 goals across the whole season so he directly contributed to over 25% of that total.

A better method of analysis would be chances created because we can then directly compare Buendia to other creative players in the league. He created the 4th most chances in the league that year despite the quality around him and playing significantly less minutes than the 3 players ahead of him in the list.

Once the team he’s playing in are operating in a league they’re more suited to his numbers shoot up to a level that matches the creativity he showed in the Premier League;

18/19 - 8 goals, 12 assists
20/21 - 15 goals, 16 assists

Abraxas

I think its important to remember how bad a team Buendia was playing in when assessing his performance level.

He only scored 1 goal and got 7 assists but Norwich were one of the worst performing teams in recent Premier League history, finishing with only 21 points (13 points off 19th). They also only scored 26 goals across the whole season so he directly contributed to over 25% of that total.

A better method of analysis would be chances created because we can then directly compare Buendia to other creative players in the league. He created the 4th most chances in the league that year despite the quality around him and playing significantly less minutes than the 3 players ahead of him in the list.

Once the team he’s playing in are operating in a league they’re more suited to his numbers shoot up to a level that matches the creativity he showed in the Premier League;

18/19 - 8 goals, 12 assists
20/21 - 15 goals, 16 assists
The point remains he still needs to do that at this level, not to be awarded congratulations for what has not yet been achieved. You have to score goals, this is why nobody was queuing up for him originally, you can absolutely guarantee that. I'm sure they were somewhat impressed by his performances in a poor side and some of these statistics but it really is about output for top clubs.

Look at Bruno, are we always enamoured with his lovely play about the pitch? Not especially, he gives it away constantly but as an attacking midfielder who does work hard but takes up a critical role you have to provide in a pretty concrete way for a top club and he does that.

I do think he could have a bit of a breakout season potentially but let's see.

Ace of Spades

He is a good player, but not the one we need right now.
Wonder if Norwich will sell if someone puts a bid for him, staying in the league will become difficult if they lose him.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He is a good player, but not the one we need right now.
Wonder if Norwich will sell if someone puts a bid for him, staying in the league will become difficult if they lose him.
No chance they sell him.

They don't need the money and Emi is happy at the club.

Ekeke

RE: "Only scored 1 goal!"

Clearly he can score plenty of goals next time as he proved at the top of the championship, which is stronger than the bottom of the premier league

Abraxas

On what possible basis is the top of the championship better than the bottom of the premiership..

That statement only makes any sense with respect to specific teams and not as a general statement. This is observed in the individual teams that come up and do well, and those that are extremely poor, there is some divergence. I'm not sure if that is an argument made to hint at some depth of perception that is found beyond a simple observation of where the clubs are in the footballing pyramid, but anyhow, it makes very little sense at all to me.

The better sides are in the PL because they've got there and they have the corresponding finances. The poorer sides are in the championship because they haven't escaped it. A fairly self-evident reality, even though the very idea of isolating areas of league tables is fairly pointless when a full season is not conducted in this way but by playing every side twice.

Anyway, I think this has gone a long way from my observations on what Buendia needs to do to be considered in Grealish's ballpark as a player that arrived on the scene in the PL. Also pretty far away from what I think is a fair suggestion as to why nobody bought Buendia a couple years back and I don't wish to derail the thread further. I think my observations were rooted in objective facts regarding his output compared to Grealish and also to what top clubs expect of an attacking midfielder, so I wouldn't wish to labour the points further as there is nowhere to go but in circles. Nonetheless it should be interesting to see how he does.

Bwuk

RE: "Only scored 1 goal!"

Clearly he can score plenty of goals next time as he proved at the top of the championship, which is stronger than the bottom of the premier league

If that was the case then how were Norwich and Watford not good enough for the Prem, but too strong for the championship?

He’s a good player but not worth the rumoured fees.

OverratedOpinion

On what possible basis is the top of the championship better than the bottom of the premiership..

That statement only makes any sense with respect to specific teams and not as a general statement. This is observed in the individual teams that come up and do well, and those that are extremely poor, there is some divergence. I'm not sure if that is an argument made to hint at some depth of perception that is found beyond a simple observation of where the clubs are in the footballing pyramid, but anyhow, it makes very little sense at all to me.

The better sides are in the PL because they've got there and they have the corresponding finances. The poorer sides are in the championship because they haven't escaped it. A fairly self-evident reality, even though the very idea of isolating areas of league tables is fairly pointless when a full season is not conducted in this way but by playing every side twice.

Anyway, I think this has gone a long way from my observations on what Buendia needs to do to be considered in Grealish's ballpark as a player that arrived on the scene in the PL. Also pretty far away from what I think is a fair suggestion as to why nobody bought Buendia a couple years back and I don't wish to derail the thread further. I think my observations were rooted in objective facts regarding his output compared to Grealish and also to what top clubs expect of an attacking midfielder, so I wouldn't wish to labour the points further as there is nowhere to go but in circles. Nonetheless it should be interesting to see how he does.
Grealish is one of the best players in the league so if anyone was comparing the two right now then that is silly.

With that said, if you did a tournament once a season where the top 2 teams in the Championship faced the bottom 2 teams in the Premier League over 2 legs I would back the Championship sides. I would actually put quite a lot of money on it personally most seasons.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Grealish is one of the best players in the league so if anyone was comparing the two right now then that is silly.

With that said, if you did a tournament once a season where the top 2 teams in the Championship faced the bottom 2 teams in the Premier League over 2 legs I would back the Championship sides. I would actually put quite a lot of money on it personally most seasons.
If it meant nothing yeah. If it meant staying up, you can see in France they do this and often the bottom team stays up

OverratedOpinion

If it meant nothing yeah. If it meant staying up, you can see in France they do this and often the bottom team stays up
They do it in the way I described that?

I had no idea about that! I think it is a really good way of doing it.

I am not sure it is a fair comparison though, I think the Championship is the best second division in the world. I think the Premier League is also the best top division in the world but not by the same distance.

AkaAkuma

His stats are impressive, but watching some highlights his overall play seem scruffy, goals seemed abit fortunate.

Am I missing aspects?

He seemed like a poor man's poor man's Tevez.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Can't remember if I've said this already on this thread, but he reminds me a bit of Santi Cazorla with his playing style, & his small, slightly stocky stature.

If he goes on to be half the player Cazorla was he'll be doing just fine, wherever he ends up.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Pretty sure he was the highest expected assister in the league when he played with Norwich in the premier league. I was amazed he stayed there another year, thought he'd get poached asap.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Pretty sure he was the highest expected assister in the league when he played with Norwich in the premier league. I was amazed he stayed there another year, thought he'd get poached asap.
8th in expected assists and 4th in chances created.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Same was said about Benrahma last year. He hardly tore up trees at WHU

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Can't remember if I've said this already on this thread, but he reminds me a bit of Santi Cazorla with his playing style, & his small, slightly stocky stature.

If he goes on to be half the player Cazorla was he'll be doing just fine, wherever he ends up.
I also said the same thing somewhere on here. I think the build and ability to play the ball with both feet lends itself to the comparison. He’s not as talented as Santi was but the vast majority of players aren’t. The same type of passing too where the power they apply is usually spot on.

I think he’ll do another season with Norwich and then may look to push on to a bigger club. He’s very talented and is always great to watch.

Ekeke

Cazorla or Mata. When he plays on the "right" he goes and plays central in the AM position providing the neat key passes and final balls to teammates to set up chances. Very much like how Mata plays in the middle for us even when picked on the right

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Cazorla or Mata. When he plays on the "right" he goes and plays central in the AM position providing the neat key passes and final balls to teammates to set up chances. Very much like how Mata plays in the middle for us even when picked on the right
I was actually thinking he’d be a great replacement for Mata, he has the technical quality to play with a better group of players, and would be able to play that role brilliantly. He also has the flexibility to play with and also as backup to someone like Bruno.

I think there’s no chance of it this summer but maybe next summer he’d be a possible option, depending on price and I guess how VDB does in his second season for your lot.

Pocho

He's been called to this great Argentinian national team that very often calls up randomly shit players like Enzo Perez and million others in the last 20 years.
Enzo Perez is and was a great great player for Argentina, really a very bad example you picked

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
With Zidane leaving, keeping Odegaard gets harder so Arsenal might speed this one up. Hopefully we don't go over 30/35M considering how many players we need to bring in.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Actually think he'd be a really good pick up for Leicester but they'd probably need to move Maddison on as stacked in attacked midfield area with Harvey Barnes fit again next season.

Can see logic in Arsenal wanting him as they're a real creative drain for them in central areas last 18 months.

Pocho

Enzo Perez is a fecking nobody to big European clubs just like many Argentinian call ups, that’s my point.
Maybe, but he played more Fifa World Cup finals than 90% of the big European club players. He was Valencia´s captain before que returned to Argentina. So no, he is not a fecking nobody

Ekeke

Maybe, but he played more Fifa World Cup finals than 90% of the big European club players. He was Valencia´s captain before que returned to Argentina. So no, he is not a fecking nobody
He was terrible at Valencia. Parejo was captain

Kostov

Rojo has played more World Cup finals than most defenders out there, he is shit and useless despite that awesome fact.