Emi Martinez

Jackal981

How can arsenal let him go away and buy Ramsdale. I hope our club never gone that low

criticalanalysis

Another great performance yesterday with a stunning save vs Suarez. He gives lots of security, has a great character.

Don't think he'll last that much at Villa
Kind of refreshing to watch highlights without commentry and just crowd noise.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

Another great performance yesterday with a stunning save vs Suarez. He gives lots of security, has a great character.

Don't think he'll last that much at Villa
Si será importante... Veníamos bien hasta que nos comimos esa masita.

macheda14

How can arsenal let him go away and buy Ramsdale. I hope our club never gone that low
To be fair Leno had been a consistently very good goalkeeper for them and Emi only performed for a third of the season. They chose between Emi and Leno and went with what they knew. I don't think anyone was expecting Emi to go on and be maybe a top 5 keeper in the world. Regarding Ramsdale, he's actually looked very good for them and surprised the bejesus out of me.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Don't think Arsenal will need to worry about Ramsdale the way he's started. At the age Ramsdale is the now, Martinez was going on loan to the likes of Rotherham remember.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Don't think Arsenal will need to worry about Ramsdale the way he's started. At the age Ramsdale is the now, Martinez was going on loan to the likes of Rotherham remember.
Perhaps that says more about Arsenal than Martinez though?

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Not sure the way United dealt with their goalkeeper position is one to be proud of. Be thankful you can financially absorb the situation and that DeGea has recovered from his slump.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's one of those uber-confident players. Weirdly so, when you consider his trajectory. It's like he fully believes in himself and even when he's not playing at his best his big personality will pull him through.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not sure the way United dealt with their goalkeeper position is one to be proud of. Be thankful you can financially absorb the situation and that DeGea has recovered from his slump.
What mistake have we done in GK department? We have GK who was superb for years and then had young GK who had great loan.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Perhaps that says more about Arsenal than Martinez though?
Well he was on loan at Wolves, Getafe & Reading, played in Arsenal's Europa & League Cup games in the early part of 19/20 season, & I can't remember anyone at the time, Arsenal fans or non Arsenal fans, thinking that he would go on to be one of the best goalkeepers in the world.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
He's reached that point in the hype cycle that his good saves will be bigged up and his poor ones will be ignored. Both of them were regulation saves which either Leno or Ramsdale would've made.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Is he the modern type of goalkeeper like Ederson or Allison?

Or is he still old school?

I was always shocked they let him go for Leno - it's like Arsenal looked at what Leno was and Martinez Was but never thought players could change or improve because once they did Martinez looked a different level.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I was always shocked they let him go for Leno - it's like Arsenal looked at what Leno was and Martinez Was but never thought players could change or improve because once they did Martinez looked a different level.
He wanted to leave to be undisputed number 1 somewhere, he didn't want to compete with another top keeper for the number 1 position.

It's all well saying Arsenal should have kept Martinez, but he was the 1 that we had a bid for, he was the 1 that asked to leave, & considering his really good spell was only about 10 or so games at the end of the season with no crowd, & Leno had performed well up to his injury, it's not quite as clear cut as picking 1 over the other.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Is he the modern type of goalkeeper like Ederson or Allison?
The most important thing about Ederson and Allison is that they are proactive in their goalkeeping. It is hailed as modern, but so was Schmeichel, Barthez and van der Sar. Martinez is too. If he is as good as Ederson in his distribution is another thing. Not sure to be honest.

Would really enjoy having that type of goalkeeper again. Cant see Villa letting him go anytime soon. His contract is up in 24, so maybe in 23? He will be 31 then, but considering van der Sar was 35 the year we signed him it should not be a big worry.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's reached that point in the hype cycle that his good saves will be bigged up and his poor ones will be ignored. Both of them were regulation saves which either Leno or Ramsdale would've made.
It does seem a little bit like that at the minute, to be honest.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
What mistake have we done in GK department? We have GK who was superb for years and then had young GK who had great loan.
Having 4 GK under contract, keeping Romero while barely playing him, the weird situation with DeGea + his insane wages...
As i said most of these issues are not important because you can absorb them. Something Arsenal just couldn't do, 0 interest in 95% of the players we wanted and needed to sell. The only decent offer we got was for him so he got shipped. We did not sell Manuel Neuer, we sold a good GK with 1 good PL season. Leno falling off a cliff and wanting out was not in the plan. Ramsdale is having a good start and it remains to be seen if he can keep it up the whole season alongside that new back 4.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Having 4 GK under contract, keeping Romero while barely playing him, the weird situation with DeGea + his insane wages...
As i said most of these issues are not important because you can absorb them. Something Arsenal just couldn't do, 0 interest in 95% of the players we wanted and needed to sell. The only decent offer we got was for him so he got shipped. We did not sell Manuel Neuer, we sold a good GK with 1 good PL season. Leno falling off a cliff and wanting out was not in the plan. Ramsdale is having a good start and it remains to be seen if he can keep it up the whole season alongside that new back 4.
One of the GK is a player-coach, having 3 GKs is normal especially when the 3rd GK is old player who will be on low wages. City have 3 GKs in their squad, Chelsea have 3 GKs in their squad, Liverpool have 4 GKs. So having 4 GKs when one of them is a player-coach isn't a big worry.

Ideally we should have sold Henderson with buy back or big percentage on sell on clause but at one point Henderson vs De Gea was a genuine contest. Now it isn't as De Gea has regained his form and looks like he is back to his best. So Henderson will be #2 or will be sold.

However anyone loves to spin it, selling Martinez was a mistake. He looks better GK than any Arsenal GK. It's a not a big mistake anyways as the gap between Martinez, Ramsdale and Martinez is not that big.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Don't mean to be pedantic but it wasn't even that, he had 8 league games at the end of that season.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
One of the GK is a player-coach, having 3 GKs is normal especially when the 3rd GK is old player who will be on low wages. City have 3 GKs in their squad, Chelsea have 3 GKs in their squad, Liverpool have 4 GKs. So having 4 GKs when one of them is a player-coach isn't a big worry.

Ideally we should have sold Henderson with buy back or big percentage on sell on clause but at one point Henderson vs De Gea was a genuine contest. Now it isn't as De Gea has regained his form and looks like he is back to his best. So Henderson will be #2 or will be sold.

However anyone loves to spin it, selling Martinez was a mistake. He looks better GK than any Arsenal GK. It's a not a big mistake anyways as the gap between Martinez, Ramsdale and Martinez is not that big.
Agreed, in hindsight it was. It's just not that big of a deal in the end. Good move for him as he got gametime and the #1 shirt for Argentina.

Don't mean to be pedantic but it wasn't even that, he had 8 league games at the end of that season.
Yes, a good run in the cup too. There was no guarantee he would stay at that level having done nothing extraordinary for years before then.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
To be fair Leno had been a consistently very good goalkeeper for them and Emi only performed for a third of the season. They chose between Emi and Leno and went with what they knew. I don't think anyone was expecting Emi to go on and be maybe a top 5 keeper in the world. Regarding Ramsdale, he's actually looked very good for them and surprised the bejesus out of me.
Leno has never really pulled up any trees in an Arsenal shirt and eyebrows were raised when Arteta went with him over Martinez. Martinez had probably shown more quality in just 3 months than Leno has in his entire Arsenal stint.

But hey maybe my view is clouded because I'm just not having Leno and never have. Bang average keeper in my opinion and never wanted him from day one.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’ve never seen a keeper look so cocky whilst making basic catches. Bit of a weirdo.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
An absolute shithouse, but very good goalkeeper.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The cockiness will help him in some scenarios but he’ll also look like a mug at times too.
It's just in their blood and gives them that edge. I mean your Martinez is no shrinking violet as he went around the pitch thumping half our team and your away fans were getting off on it.

Tevez and Heinze were also big fans favourites until they did what they did aswell.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It's just in their blood and gives them that edge. I mean your Martinez is no shrinking violet as he went around the pitch thumping half our team and your away fans were getting off on it.

Tevez and Heinze were also big fans favourites until they did what they did aswell.
Yeah that’s fine and all if it he does it after a stunning save or something but he just made a series of catches. It’s just misplaced bravado.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He seems like such a wanker. Are we sure he's not English?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yeah that’s fine and all if it he does it after a stunning save or something but he just made a series of catches. It’s just misplaced bravado.
In last two years he's won an FA cup and Copa America so pretty decent after being a reserve at Arsenal for a decade.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
In last two years he's won an FA cup and Copa America so pretty decent after being a reserve at Arsenal for a decade.
I’m not saying he’s bad at all. I’ve probably posted in this thread about him before saying he’s good. I just found the cockiness for simple things a bit odd.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I’m not saying he’s bad at all. I’ve probably posted in this thread about him before saying he’s good. I just found the cockiness for simple things a bit odd.
He does it every game we're winning so it's not some ABU thing.

Strats

Absolute cnut.

Would have loved it if he played for us though, he is a great keeper.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Would love a keeper who's as aggressive as he is on crosses
His aerial play is top notch, yet our manager and his team doesn't seem to do any research and decide to play countless useless crosses to the box.

Conor

I'm not sure I've ever seen a bigger timewaster of a keeper.