Emirates FA Cup QF Draw | United - Brighton Sat 17th March 19:45 PM

DdeGoat

Terrible draw. It's always good to see smaller teams go far & big teams cancelling each other out in the earlier rounds. Would have liked to see City vs Spurs or us vs Chelsea in one of the quarter final encounters. This looks like a pretty straight forward quarters affair with the four top teams the four likely winners. No Cupset in the offing here. :(

paulscholes18

Good draw, but I reckon one out of Us, City, Spurs or Chelsea will fail to make the semifinals

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Have you watched any FA cup semi-finals recently? They're all played at Wembley because it is supposed to be a neutral venue. Obvioulsy it isn't a neutral venue for Spurs at the moment, but I guess that can't be helped. If Spurs get to the semi-final, as they should, they have two home games left to win the cup. That's a signficant bonus, they should win it in all honesty.
True, but the ticket allocations for any SF would be a 50:50 split between the rival sets of fans, which would make it pretty neutral. The main advantage for Spurs would be that we'd be used to playing there.

ZupZup

True, but the ticket allocations for any SF would be a 50:50 split between the rival sets of fans, which would make it pretty neutral. The main advantage for Spurs would be that we'd be used to playing there.
That is a very big advantage though and Spurs have a great chance to win it this year for that reason alone.

In reality, I don’t think the semi finals should be played at Wembley... but I’ve always said that. I think it takes a little bit away from the final. It was better when the matches were played at a neutral ground elsewhere.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
That is a very big advantage though and Spurs have a great chance to win it this year for that reason alone.

In reality, I don’t think the semi finals should be played at Wembley... but I’ve always said that. I think it takes a little bit away from the final. It was better when the matches were played at a neutral ground elsewhere.
I agree.

Perseus

Leicester v Chelsea looks like he most interesting game of the quarter-finals

Man Utd vs Brighton

With the two best defences from open play in the Premier League I would expect an unconvincing win with a home goal from a set piece (probably a corner), exactly what happened in the Premier League match 1-0.

All complicated (or made easier) by Brighton playing their complete reserve team for FA Cup matches. This may be bolstered by a first team player in midfield and a winger for a visit to Old Trafford.

This is unlikely to change as Brighton are in a perilous position to escape relegation with an end of the season involving a visit to Palace followed by the last six games against top 7 sides (top 6 and away to Burnley).

CallyRed

Can imagine it now, United V City final. City going for the domestic treble.

Mourinho's bus runs them over.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Spurs, United, City and Leicester in the semi-finals, imo. Spurs vs. City/United in the final.

DelPotro

22.9% chance. Not that unlikely

Take your tinfoil hat off.
Except it's not really 22.9%. You need to also consider the odds of previous rounds when the top teams didn't draw against each other.

This year's Carabao cup we also have 4 top teams avoiding each other nicely in the QF. Last year FA Cup we also had Chelsea, City, Spurs and Arsenal fitting nicely in the semis. Starting to see a pattern?

Last edited by a moderator:

Raw

Wigan are having quite a brilliant run so far. Knocked out 3 PL teams in a row (Bournemouth, West Ham and Man City).

melatonin

Great result for Utd here, technically we can still do the treble (no need to ask if this is a joke)

marktan

Can still just as easily lose to Spurs or Chelsea, but hopefully they draw each other in the semis.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Spurs the favourites now given the home advantage they will have if they avoid Swansea :angel:

Canagel

Hope we draw the winner of Wigan/Southampton in semis if as expected we get past Brighton. Let Spurs and Chelsea play the other semi.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Hope we draw the winner of Wigan/Southampton in semis if as expected we get past Brighton. Let Spurs and Chelsea play the other semi.
Nah feck that let's have Leicester and Swansea do us a favour, tbh the season Leicester are having I actually do fancy them to get to the final and Swansea are currently in stupidly good form and have recent home wins against Liverpool and Arsenal