Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
The first ever person, male or female, to come through qualifying and make a grand slam final. Despite a small run at Wimbledon, she's pretty much come from nowhere so I reckon she deserves her own thread now. She's the first person in ages to get me interested in watching tennis again.

I can not think of another British sports person who has come up out of nowhere to surprise us all and go straight to the top. This is an amazing story.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Her first tournament this year was in June! Her first title might be a grand slam a few months later.

Basically took some time off to do her A levels in mathematics and economics then casually comes back and smashes womens tennis.

lilcurt

Such a wonderful achievement, really hope she can go all the way now. Has dropped a set either.

As I'm not that up to speed on the sport, is she talked about as being a prodigy or is this a little out of nowhere?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Such a wonderful achievement, really hope she can go all the way now. Has dropped a set either.

As I'm not that up to speed on the sport, is she talked about as being a prodigy or is this a little out of nowhere?
Pretty much out of nowhere, before Wimbledon she was something like 363rd in the world and though maybe some in the game thought she had potential, no one predicted anything like this, it's like a cheesy film script!

Deery

Dreary
Originally Canadian apparently with Chinese mother and Romanian father.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
She's going to be a megastar. Ridiculous achievement. Her life is going to change significantly.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What an achievement. Especially after what happened at Wimbledon and the way the media dealt with it. She could have got swallowed up by the pressure and disappeared for ages, but instead she's come back and got into her first ever final - at a canter too by the sounds of it.

I haven't watched any of her matches so can't confess to knowing how good she is, but i'll try to tune in for the final.

If she plays it right and keeps concentrated she could be the David Beckham of Tennis.

TheLiverBird

Originally Canadian apparently with Chinese mother and Romanian father.
But raised in Britain since the age of 2, educated in our schools and coached in England ;)

British through and through

what an amazing achievement!!! She’s exciting too watch, I really can’t believe what’s she’s done

just one more step to go

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What will be her ranking after this? Would be weird to be the winner of a grand slam and still be ranked somewhere like 93rd or something

saivet

I think he was talking to her on the court during the tournament. He might be involved with coaching the top up and coming British tennis players players as a guess.
Possibly, no idea where Tim comes in but she was coached by Mark Petchey in some capacity as a kid and also Andy Murray has had some kind of role too (seen a picture of them together a couple of years ago).

Found a link below, she won some kind of award and Tim Henman was part of the panel.
https://www.andymurray.com/news/future-talent-award-winners-announced/

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Possibly, no idea where Tim comes in but she was coached by Mark Petchey in some capacity as a kid and also Andy Murray has had some kind of role too (seen a picture of them together a couple of years ago).

Found a link below, she won some kind of award and Tim Henman was part of the panel.
https://www.andymurray.com/news/future-talent-award-winners-announced/
Henman is probably teaching her how to talk on camera and be BBC friendly.

Murray is probably giving her Tennis advice.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Well done that girl! Amazing achievement to come from nowhere to what she's done this year!

(or can we only celebrate if she wins the final?)

Dr. StrangeHate

first time they've had an all teenage final since Serena William and Hingis in 1999.
It happens a lot in women's tennis though that someone comes out of nowhere and does this.

Men's tennis is an anomaly probably due to the big 3, if you take them out it might be the same as the women's game.

People who have never watched Tennis are even talking about it, so she does have star power in addition to talent.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Phenomenal achievement. Something that you'd say was bollocks if you saw it in a movie.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It happens a lot in women's tennis though that someone comes out of nowhere and does this.
I don't really follow tennis all that much but surely this isn't common? She's the first person ever to come through qualifying and do this - it is a remarkable achievement.

Dr. StrangeHate

I don't really follow tennis all that much but surely this isn't common? She's the first person ever to come through qualifying and do this - it is a remarkable achievement.
No doubt it's a remarkable achievement especially considering how much additional pressure that has been put on her from the media.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
first time they've had an all teenage final since Serena William and Hingis in 1999.
And they weren't exactly flash in the pan players. It really does feel like the changing of the guard moment, which can only be a good thing. You need the exceptional to capture the imagination of the (less dedicated) fans/viewers and to inspire the kids.

Sylar

I like how genuine she seems especially with her reactions. Happy for her

Dr. StrangeHate

And they weren't exactly flash in the pan players. It really does feel like the changing of the guard moment, which can only be a good thing. You need the exceptional to capture the imagination of the (less dedicated) fans/viewers and to inspire the kids.
Women's tennis needs the consistent top tier rivalries that men's tennis has. Hopefully these two can provide that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Do you only enjoy Fleet Foxes albums when they reach number 1?
I probably enjoy it more because they don't.

Sports is different, the objective is to be number 1. In music, for many, it is achieving excellence or doing what they do really well. Not that I was disagreeing with that poster, just poking some fun.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I probably enjoy it more because they don't.

Sports is different, the objective is to be number 1. In music, for many, it is achieving excellence or doing what they do really well. Not that I was disagreeing with that poster, just poking some fun.
I know. I don't think anyone actively 'celebrated' us losing the final though. People just thought we did well and we enjoyed the journey.