Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion

Dante

Average bang
I don't watch much tennis. But from what I've seen of Raducanu so far, she looked so much more agile and flexible than I've ever witnessed before. The way she jumps around, swivels her centre of mass, contorts her body and slides around the court is incredible. Even that incident when she scraped her fecking knee on the ground was amazing. It was like watching a gymnast on the court.

The whole performance was very impressive from a general athletic perspective. I hope she doesn't lose too much of that as she gets older.

Balljy

I'm intrigued by this, I wonder if the term has changed meaning or varies between countries. Wimbledon was always "a grand slam" to me and I remember learning the names of the other grand slam tournaments (predates live international TV coverage, so I knew their names before I watched them!)

But that meant we could talk about players winning a Grand Slam whereas THE Grand Slam was winning the lot. It sounds like some posters now call the grand slam events slams now.

And on that rambling note...
I think the difference is between "The Grand Slam" and commenters using the term Grand Slam tournament, which Wimbledon is one of. I agree with you, I'd always talked about Wimbledon as a Grand Slam.

Wikipedia says the same as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Slam_(tennis)

arnie_ni

Not to take away from her brilliant win, she looks like a future great, but can someone explain the beef with Piers Morgan and her or is it just because he is a complete bellend?
If memory serves me right didn't he go in on her the morning after for quitting that match at Wimbledon
He got his dig in but he at least congratulated her

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The trolls can come at me with she's born in Canada because quite frankly couldn't care less, she is representing GB and that's good enough for me even though clearly for some it obviously isn't
It never will be for some closed mind Brits who want their stars whiter than white blue eyed darlings from the Home Counties.

We’ve had this for years from John Barnes to Linford Christie to others. Raducanu has been here since she was two. Whether she has succeeded because of the tennis system or like Henman, in spite of it, is irrelevant. She like many other kids, have every right to call themselves British. The online trolls who will make themselves known will just have to learn to deal with it

Inigo Montoya

Happy for Nike as well.
Yep, the cnuts will be out to market every ounce out of her until it doesn’t suit them. fecking parasites the lot of them.

Hope she can stay healthy and stay above it

Inigo Montoya

Amazing achievement.
It is! Wonder what’s happened to all the other girls though. Barty was burned out.Osaka too. Where was Halep etc? Doesn’t augur too well for the women’s game if these players are getting burned out in their or before their prime

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Happy for Romania, China and Canada.
She's been in the UK since age two, less of a ringer than some other British tennis player, cricketers etc. 57% of births in London to foreign born mothers. She's from Bromley.

It's a great achievement. What you have to say is that having two un seeded players in the final shows women's tennis standard is very flat now. No really outstanding players. All the grand slams look wide open.

In prior era's such a run could not have happened because there was a huge difference in standard between qualifying and the seeds. She actually lost 5 games in one set in qualifying but not more than 4 in the actual tournament!

Dan_F

Yep, the cnuts will be out to market every ounce out of her until it doesn’t suit them. fecking parasites the lot of them.

Hope she can stay healthy and stay above it
You realise she chooses to wear their products and gets paid for it right?

Ibi Dreams

She's going to be a megastar. She has everything to be one of the top sports stars in the world. The big challenge for her will be keeping her feet on the ground with all the hype and money that will come her way.
I think she's already very well off. International parents working in finance, posh accent, tennis is kind of a posh people's game as well.

But takes nothing away from her, it's a brilliant story and she seems very intelligent and mature when she speaks

Abizzz

It's 2021 people can be both British and Canadian, Romanian or anything else without having to take away from her Britishness.

What an achievement.

Classical Mechanic

I think she's already very well off. International parents working in finance, posh accent, tennis is kind of a posh people's game as well.

But takes nothing away from her, it's a brilliant story and she seems very intelligent and mature when she speaks
Shes privately educated and from an upper middle class background but on the stage last night someone from JP Morgan gave her a cheque for $2.5m (very American, it would never happen at Wimbledon). It’s a different stratosphere.

As she says she loves Romanian food, I think she’s as British as Mamalide and Sarmale
I was only counter trolling the troll. If you look at her Twitter she claims all aspects of her heritage. Being privately educated in England does make you English in a particular kind of way though.

Denis79

Intelligent well spoken young lady. On top of that a fantastic Tennis player. Wish her all the best in her future career which I'm sure is going to be a very good one.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
He got his dig in but he at least congratulated her

Because he flip flops his views to balance support/abuse… he’s just a clickbait account now as well as always being a tw@t

As one of the replies said….

It never will be for some closed mind Brits who want their stars whiter than white blue eyed darlings from the Home Counties.

We’ve had this for years from John Barnes to Linford Christie to others. Raducanu has been here since she was two. Whether she has succeeded because of the tennis system or like Henman, in spite of it, is irrelevant. She like many other kids, have every right to call themselves British. The online trolls who will make themselves known will just have to learn to deal with it
Maybe it’s because I’m in Britain but seems to be a British thing only (arguing over who ‘qualifies’ as British/foreign). I doubt Americans argue that McEnroe isn’t American?

Denis79

Because he flip flops his views to balance support/abuse… he’s just a clickbait account now as well as always being a tw@t

As one of the replies said….

Maybe it’s because I’m in Britain but seems to be a British thing only (arguing over who ‘qualifies’ as British/foreign). I doubt Americans argue that McEnroe isn’t American?
The Romanian or Chinese would gladly claim her as their own. Reading Romanian (my mother is Romanian) newspapers they absolutely adore and love her.

Classical Mechanic

I did my university education in England. Guess I'm part English now. :lol:
Not really. I assume that your character was formed in the environment that you grew up in like everyone else. If you lived here for 5 years and took out British citizenship then of course you could then claim that identity.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I don't think she'll have any problem getting adoring fans, the problem will be stopping them overwhelming her.

At any rate yesterday's match was:
Romanian Chinese Canadian Brit v Equadorian Filipino Canadian
So there's plenty of national pride to go round.

Tarrou

I was born in Canada and moved to UK at age four - I don't feel any part of my identity is Canadian really

and she moved when she was two right? I doubt she does either

Moby

Dick
Not really. I assume that your character was formed in the environment that you grew up in like everyone else. If you lived here for 5 years and took out British citizenship then of course you could then claim that identity.
Yeah the selectiveness is rather obvious. :)

Jokes aside the reason people wanna bring this up is because loads of English people regularly classify people actually born in England, lived here there entire lives as 'foreigner scum' and actively campaign for driving them out who are now happily thumping their chests for this 'British success' which is someone who wasn't even born here and has zero British ancestry.

So excuse us for finding the blatant hypocrisy and sucking it up by this lot rather hilarious to say the least.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Shes privately educated and from an upper middle class background but on the stage last night someone from JP Morgan gave her a cheque for $2.5m (very American, it would never happen at Wimbledon). It’s a different stratosphere.

I was only counter trolling the troll. If you look at her Twitter she claims all aspects of her heritage. Being privately educated in England does make you English in a particular kind of way though.
I don't think it's a private school. It looks like an old fashioned selective grammar school - what we used to call a direct grant school.

An anomaly certainly and one that's probably reflected in very high house prices for its catchment area, but a local authority funded school. I could be wrong though.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah the selectiveness is rather obvious. :)

Jokes aside the reason people wanna bring this up is because loads of English people regularly classify people actually born in England, lived here there entire lives as 'foreigner scum' and actively campaign for driving them out who are now happily thumping their chests for this 'British success' which is someone who wasn't even born here and has zero British ancestry.

So excuse us for finding the blatant hypocrisy and sucking it up by this lot rather hilarious to say the least.
It’s a minority of people that think that England or the UK should be a white ethnostate and I don’t think any of them are cheering her on. I don’t think any post on this site either.

I‘m not sure what you mean by my ‘selectiveness‘. My thoughts on this are:

1. It’s doesn’t matter if she’s born here or not for her to qualify as English or British.
2. She doesn’t need any genetic British ancestry to identify as English or British or indeed be either of those. To me she’s more British than Chris Froome who has never lived here but has genetic ancestry in Britain.
3. Being brought up all her conscious life in England qualifies her British/English in my opinion.
4. That said it’s entirely up to her how she defines her nationality.
5. Doing a year at an English university is not in comparable to her life growing up here if you’re talking about a cultural background. If you do live here on a more permanent basis then of course you can be English or British or however you want to identify.

Classical Mechanic

I don't think it's a private school. It looks like an old fashioned selective grammar school - what we used to call a direct grant school.

An anomaly certainly and one that's probably reflected in very high house prices for its catchment area, but a local authority funded school. I could be wrong though.
Looks like you’re right, at least from wiki.