Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion

Moby

Dick
It’s a minority of people that think that England or the UK should be a white ethnostate and I don’t think any of them are cheering her on. I don’t think any post on this site either.
Yeah it isn't just about this site either. The express front page posted earlier pretty much summed up the hypocrisy that runs through in various degrees among what would be categorised is more than a 'small minority' and there are constant incidents to remind us of that through various outlets.

I mean you can literally guess what the sentiment across many would have been had she gotten eliminated in the earlier rounds and very little of it would have been directed at her actual ability or performances.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah it isn't just about this site either. The express front page posted earlier pretty much summed up the hypocrisy that runs through in various degrees among what would be categorised is more than a 'small minority' and there are constant incidents to remind us of that through various outlets.

I mean you can literally guess what the sentiment across many would have been had she gotten eliminated in the earlier rounds and very little of it would have been directed at her actual ability or performances.
Fair point and Farage has made himself look a right twat today. Anyway

Think she means 'it's coming home' surely.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
She is capitalist liberal world's dream sports star to sponsor. From two different backgrounds all the whilst representing a western country. Seemed remarkably composed while speaking yesterday and per norm for her generation, is great on social media.

Classical Mechanic

She is capitalist liberal world's dream sports star to sponsor. From two different backgrounds all the whilst representing a western country. Seemed remarkably composed while speaking yesterday and per norm for her generation, is great on social media.
She'll probably be one of the biggest sports stars in the world. She speaks Mandarin as well so has loads of potential in the Chinese market. The danger is how quickly this is all happening and if she can cope with it whilst maintaining that level of performance.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Because he flip flops his views to balance support/abuse… he’s just a clickbait account now as well as always being a tw@t

As one of the replies said….

Maybe it’s because I’m in Britain but seems to be a British thing only (arguing over who ‘qualifies’ as British/foreign). I doubt Americans argue that McEnroe isn’t American?
Or that Sampras with his Greek heritage, Agassi - Iranian and Michael Chang- Chinese. The US don’t give a feck if you pledge allegiance

Inigo Montoya

Shes privately educated and from an upper middle class background but on the stage last night someone from JP Morgan gave her a cheque for $2.5m (very American, it would never happen at Wimbledon). It’s a different stratosphere.

I was only counter trolling the troll. If you look at her Twitter she claims all aspects of her heritage. Being privately educated in England does make you English in a particular kind of way though.
Don’t think she was privately educated. Tutored maybe but the school isn’t private. It’s the same one attended by Dina Asher Smith in Kent. I think it was selective up to a point then became comp.

She is decently well off mind. Think it’s the only way one can make it in tennis in this country. It still is dominated by kids from middle class backgrounds. The travel, coaching, equipment etc is simply not affordable unless you are sponsored too.

Classical Mechanic

Don’t think she was privately educated. Tutored maybe but the school isn’t private. It’s the same one attended by Dina Asher Smith in Kent. I think it was selective up to a point then became comp.

She is decently well off mind. Think it’s the only way one can make it in tennis in this country. It still is dominated by kids from middle class backgrounds. The travel, coaching, equipment etc is simply not affordable unless you are sponsored too.
It's a selective grammar school still. You have to pass an entry exam to get in. From the way the headteacher was talking about it it's pretty much like a private school in essence and not easy to get into.

Inigo Montoya

It's a selective grammar school still. You have to pass an entry exam to get in. From the way the headteacher was talking about it it's pretty much like a private school in essence and not easy to get into.
I know all about selective schools. Currently it needs an entry exam which is verbal and non verbal reasoning. It’s heavily oversubscribed as many kids want to go there.
However that doesn’t make it private. It’s not a fee paying school. ‘Like’ a private school doesn’t make it one. The standards needed to succeed however are higher as independent schools will have an entrance exam but many schools ont be anywhere near as hard to get into as grammar schools

Inigo Montoya

That would be because Sampras, Chang, Agassi, and McEnroe are all American by birth.
But the point is, we seem to make their nationality and ethnicity a talking point whereas in the USA they don’t. It’s a country built on immigration. Not saying they don’t have an issue with race.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
But the point is, we seem to make their nationality and ethnicity a talking point whereas in the USA they don’t. It’s a country built on immigration. Not saying they don’t have an issue with race.
Absolutely. The US is very much a melting pot in this regard. Generally, if a foreign born player were to naturalize, identify as American, and win trophies, the American public would get behind them.

Fully Fledged

Happy for Romania, China and Canada.
Why does here ethnicity or place of birth matter. She moved here when she was 2. She has as much right to call herself British/English as anybody. I don't mind the duel nationality thing either.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Absolutely. The US is very much a melting pot in this regard. Generally, if a foreign born player were to naturalize, identify as American, and win trophies, the American public would get behind them.
So long as they’re successful.

Droid_Repairs

She'll probably be one of the biggest sports stars in the world. She speaks Mandarin as well so has loads of potential in the Chinese market. The danger is how quickly this is all happening and if she can cope with it whilst maintaining that level of performance.
She seems grounded, but I was worried about her reaching the final after the panic attack at Wimbledon. Absolutely no sign of that last night though, she seemed focussed and calm. If her mental health is being properly tended to, I'm sure she'll continue to cope just fine. It's a lot for any 18 year old.

Inigo Montoya

Yes, look at the number of Kenyan middle distance runners they now have. I can’t blame them when the Kenyan selection policy is so brutal that guys that would get into any other National athletics squad are excluded.

Inigo Montoya

So long as they’re successful.
They like winners, not a lot wrong with that. We like hard luck stories in Britain but then when anyone transcends that, the tabloid press love going after them.
That’s my fear for Raducanu

Droid_Repairs

The anyone-but-England Britain crowd are even more cringe in this thread than during the Euros!

Find me a top athlete whose genetic background is solely from the country they represent. You can't because we're all from all over the place. Is Fernandez less Canadian because her father is from Ecuador and her mother Filipino? Absolutely not!

Interval

Level
The anyone-but-England Britain crowd are even more cringe in this thread than during the Euros!

Find me a top athlete whose genetic background is solely from the country they represent. You can't because we're all from all over the place. Is Fernandez less Canadian because her father is from Ecuador and her mother Filipino? Absolutely not!
If everyone is allowed to claim people based on genetics then we will be taking Freddie Mercury back, thank you

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Would've loved to have seen them claim Sterling, Rashford, Saka, Sancho etc are not really English :wenger:

Classical Mechanic

I know all about selective schools. Currently it needs an entry exam which is verbal and non verbal reasoning. It’s heavily oversubscribed as many kids want to go there.
However that doesn’t make it private. It’s not a fee paying school. ‘Like’ a private school doesn’t make it one. The standards needed to succeed however are higher as independent schools will have an entrance exam but many schools ont be anywhere near as hard to get into as grammar schools
I know it’s not a private school. Their website actually describes it as ‘highly selective’ and the 11th best in the country. I said in essence like a private school in that there‘s of a lot of privileged kids from wealthy families and there is a higher degree of pressure put on the kids to work their asses off and achieve academically. She also talks with an RP accent and has the poise and confidence of someone who has been through an elite school system.

If everyone is allowed to claim people based on genetics then we will be taking Freddie Mercury back, thank you
Freddie Mercury is an interesting comparison. He went through an British elite schooling system too so was culturally British in a similar way to Emma. The point is that it was up to Freddy how he defined his nationality but obviously he was Indian as well as British.

Inigo Montoya

I know it’s not a private school. Their website actually describes it as ‘highly selective’ and the 11th best in the country. I said in essence like a private school in that there‘s of a lot of privileged kids from wealthy families and there is a higher degree of pressure put on the kids to work their asses off and achieve academically. She also talks with an RP accent and has the poise and confidence of someone who has been through an elite school system.

Freddie Mercury is an interesting comparison. He went through an British elite schooling system too so was culturally British in a similar way to Emma. The point is that it was up to Freddy how he defined his nationality but obviously he was Indian as well as British.
If you know anything about selective grammars you’d know that the vast majority aren’t from privileged or wealthy backgrounds. I tutor and have tutored loads of kids who have tried the entrance exams. However wealthy you are, won’t help you pass the entrance exams either 11+ or common entrance exams. What it probably could do is get you into an independent school that doesn’t have a strenuous entrance test

Classical Mechanic

If you know anything about selective grammars you’d know that the vast majority aren’t from privileged or wealthy backgrounds. I tutor and have tutored loads of kids who have tried the entrance exams. However wealthy you are, won’t help you pass the entrance exams either 11+ or common entrance exams. What it probably could do is get you into an independent school that doesn’t have a strenuous entrance test
The catchment area of that school would dictate that a lot of kids from wealthy backgrounds would go there wouldn’t it?

If you are wealthy and can afford a tutor to help kids get through an exam wouldn’t it make it more likely that they’d pass?

Ibi Dreams

The catchment area of that school would dictate that a lot of kids from wealthy backgrounds would go there wouldn’t it?

If you are wealthy and can afford a tutor to help kids get through an exam wouldn’t it make it more likely that they’d pass?
I'm not sure catchment areas are a thing with selective grammar schools. At least, when I went to a selective grammar school 15-20 years ago it didn't seem to be. My best friend at that school was commuting 30 miles there and back every day to go there.

Classical Mechanic

I'm not sure catchment areas are a thing with selective grammar schools. At least, when I went to a selective grammar school 15-20 years ago it didn't seem to be. My best friend at that school was commuting 30 miles there and back every day to go there.
It says 9 miles from the school gates on their website which would encompass some of the wealthiest parts of Kent. I guess there would be some less well off places but its mostly pretty nice around there.

dal

Born in Canada, who gives a Fuk.

Your passport makes you British, nothing else.

It’s the only way you can judge i. All of America were immigrants at one point, probably England too.

Added bonus that she sounds English too. She looks a bit Chinese aswell, it’s obvious the English dna isn’t enough, foreign parental dna is needed!

dal

Strangely I wanted the American to win, I have zero allegiance to the British in tennis, I find desperation for success nauseating and the sport a bit elitist not as bad as sailing or equestrian though.

Inigo Montoya

They have a catchment area but it means little . Kids are applying and sitting the exam from my area in Essex.
Not all my clients are well off. Most budget for tuition and I am conscientious enough to try and save them money. Some are more than well off and are not bothered as if they fail to get in, they go down the independent school route anyway. I’ve taught some pretty average kids who ended up in the private schools as they weren’t strong enough anyway but had the finances.
Emma was clearly able enough to sit and pass that exam. The school in question isn’t even the most demanding one to get into. Nearby St Place’s is far harder and a very pushy school.

Inigo Montoya

Strangely I wanted the American to win, I have zero allegiance to the British in tennis, I find desperation for success nauseating and the sport a bit elitist not as bad as sailing or equestrian though.
You mean Canadian and you haven’t done much research into her background otherwise you’d know she’s Rumanian- Chinese

Classical Mechanic

They have a catchment area but it means little . Kids are applying and sitting the exam from my area in Essex.
Not all my clients are well off. Most budget for tuition and I am conscientious enough to try and save them money. Some are more than well off and are not bothered as if they fail to get in, they go down the independent school route anyway. I’ve taught some pretty average kids who ended up in the private schools as they weren’t strong enough anyway but had the finances.
Emma was clearly able enough to sit and pass that exam. The school in question isn’t even the most demanding one to get into. Nearby St Place’s is far harder and a very pushy school.
This is from their FAQs:

Girls living outside the catchment area may apply for and sit the selection test. Please note, however, that because the school is heavily oversubscribed no places have historically been offered to those living beyond the 9-mile limit.

Anyway - lets move on from this.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Imagine training from a young age in a highly competitive sport, through all the junior tournaments, putting your social life on hold for a decade so you can jump around from place to place, struggling through growing pains as you keep trying to be the best, finding yourself under intense media scrutiny and trolling over Wimbledon at 18 - suddenly pushed under the spotlight - before winning the US Open a couple of months afterwards to huge fanfare and finding yourself now as one of the biggest rising stars of world sport. And now imagine you found out some folk on a football forum were talking about your nationality, race and which school you went to.

Dante

Average bang
Don't 'we' this. You're the one who's doing it.

I've literally not heard this discussion anywhere else.

In any case, not even racists have a problem accepting an attractive girl as one of their own.

Inigo Montoya

Don't 'we' this. You're the one who's doing it.

I've literally not heard this discussion anywhere else.

In any case, not even racists have a problem accepting an attractive girl as one of their own.
Hardly. Her ethnicity is of huge importance to her. She speaks about it, she was on TV moments ago speaking fluent Mandarin. Her parents are all over the media, speaking about her background. She is becoming a role model for a generation of kids from mixed heritage backgrounds. It’s worthy of discussion and for the record I’m not the only one taking about it. It was raised before I joined the discussion.
As someone who like her emigrated to the UK for a better life, I’m rather proud for her.

As for the racists comment. They’ll always have a problem with race. But I would expect you to understand that

GueRed

Hardly. Her ethnicity is of huge importance to her. She speaks about it, she was on TV moments ago speaking fluent Mandarin. Her parents are all over the media, speaking about her background. She is becoming a role model for a generation of kids from mixed heritage backgrounds. It’s worthy of discussion and for the record I’m not the only one taking about it. It was raised before I joined the discussion.
As someone who like her emigrated to the UK for a better life, I’m rather proud for her.

As for the racists comment. They’ll always have a problem with race. But I would expect you to understand that
Exactly.

Even her twitter bio simply says:

london|toronto|shenyang|bucharest

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Does she consider herself British/English? If yes, she is. Simple.

Inigo Montoya

Does she consider herself British/English? If yes, she is. Simple.
Yep she’s British. Just as I am but our heritage can’t be discounted because it suits some people to ignore it. She’s Asian-European and will be a role model to others like her. Credit to her