Emmanuel Petit puts his oar in

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
What's it got to do with him anyway?

feck off Emmanuel, that's a girl's name, anyway.

Former Arsenal midfielder Emmanuel Petit has launched into an astonishing rant over Manchester United’s recent performances and has singled out Nemanja Matic for particular criticism. The Red Devils came out on top against Bournemouth on Saturday after a lacklustre first-half performance, with Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford scoring to secure the come-from-behind victory. But Petit was livid with the lack of commitment shown by United’s players in the first half and believes the likes of Matic, as well as Chris Smalling and Ashley Young, are not delivering for Jose Mourinho.

Asked if United’s players are letting their manager down, Petit told RMC Sport: ‘I don’t know but I know that Mourinho is doing his best. ‘That’s not enough, but I think that a lot of players in his team should really look in the mirror. ‘Matic first, is it his brother that signed for United from Chelsea? Except for the last season where he did good he is light years from what he is capable of.

during Arsenal match ‘He’s not the only one, there’s Ashley Young and that’s without even talking about the central defence. What are they doing at Manchester United? ‘I’m tired of Smalling. You know me, I’m not someone who hammers players so easily. But for him, I’ve been asking myself for years. These players are not good enough to play in a club as big as Manchester United and that has been going on for years.

‘The game against Bournemouth after 30 minutes I was ashamed for the United players. I was ashamed for this mythical club, I was ashamed for its history, I was ashamed for Mourinho, I was ashamed for his staff, I thought to myself, but what is this a team of good for nothings. ‘Guys who don’t give it their all who watch each other play. No inspiration. Honestly, it was shameful when you represent a club like that. It was shameful, I’ve never seen United so bad for thirty minutes, under Mourinho’s command.’
https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/05/emma...meful-manchester-united-performances-8106092/

Last edited by a moderator:

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Emmanuel is a boy's name, very common in France. Emmanuelle's a girl's name. And personally I agree with him, unless you're happy about the club's performances and the players he pointed out.

Canagel

Tbh it echoes what we were all saying in the match day thread until the half time and what we've said most of the season. He's not just talking about this game but everything that's happened this season. I guess this is the first time he's spoken .
Glad someone called out Matic. The guy has been getting away with murder.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think we could have signed him at some point but he chose chelsea? Either way, I think we need to mature as a team and stop being so weak mentally.

Dante

Average bang
Who cares?

I have opinions about every football team I watch. Just because you disagree with some of those opinions, it doesn't warrant any outrage.

To each his own. Also, Petit qualifies his statement. Short of demanding groupthink, you can't ask for much more than that.

Raw

He's a bit over the top but he's right. Matic (in his current state), Smalling and Young shouldn't be starters for a team that hopes to compete on all fronts. They would make very good backup options though.

FireballXL5

The last paragraph echoes exactly what I was feeling while watching it. It was shameful.

El Zoido

He’s right. This is a great club and we’re an embarrassment right now. Play like that next week and we’ll be 5-0 down at half time, no exaggeration.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Every interview he's done since he retired has painted him as a United fan, or at least like someone who knew he made a mistake not coming here. He says it himself.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
He's right

Pogba tracked back 60 yards and made a tackle. This was greeted like some sort of title win in the matchday thread.

Not having a go at him, but that should be the norm for any player at this club. It shouldn't take a barrel of abuse for Luke Shaw and Co. to get their fingers out

El Zoido

So we are no better than Southampton?

Alright...
We’re as capable of shipping five goals in a half as Southampton, yes. Bournemouth could have been 4-0 up after half an hour on Saturday. You’d have to imagine City would not be so wasteful.

clarkydaz

Surprised to hear him talking in such glowing terms about the club. I thought he would revel in the demise

Irrational.

What's it go to do with him anyway?

feck off Emmanuel, that's a girl's name, anyway.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/05/emma...meful-manchester-united-performances-8106092/
Absolutely spot on - he sounds like he's got more passion for the club than most of the pretenders on the pitch. Cannot disagree with a single word he says.

Meanwhile, our "media" try and engineer moves out of our brightest players from the club by trying to big them up and making it a 'player vs manager' issue even if they haven't been very good.

GiddyUp

He's a bit over the top but he's right. Matic (in his current state), Smalling and Young shouldn't be starters for a team that hopes to compete on all fronts. They would make very good backup options though.
Also, Valencia should be nowhere near the captaincy for this club. This is a winger that gave up a shirt number because the pressure of wearing it was too much and now he is captain. I have also watched 98% of United games over my time supporting them and never once have I seen him on Tv or live speak to, encourge or shout at a teammate.
De Gea should really be the only player left at this club from the Ferguson era. Valencia/Smalling/Jones/Young/Lingard should be gone or played in emergencies only. I also seriously doubt these players would be anywhere near the 1st 11 if SAF was still in charge.