Emre Can

No Love

Had a quick look and did not see a thread pertaining to this potential transfer - If I’ve missed it, I apologise and please move accordingly.

Sky Sports are on this now, claiming that we are considering making a move for him in January.

For me, he is better than what we have, although that is not much of a barometer. I suppose if the price was reasonable, we could do worse.

How do we feel about this one, gents?

EDIT: Sky Sports now reporting that Juve want around 35m for him.

Last edited:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Who's capable of coming in and saving our season? Emre can.

DRM

I'd take him, instant improvement on our shower of shite

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I actually liked him as a player and recall everyone on the caf massively thinking he's shite when he was at Liverpool. This will be interesting. I forgot how he plays tbh. Has he gone shite?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He made a mistake leaving us considering his struggles in Serie A.

Not sure if he's what you're looking for. He's a decent box to box midfielder and can contribute some goals here and there. He had a decent run as a holding midfielder for us in 15/16 as well. I suppose he's versatile and definitely an improvement on Fred & Pereira.

If you do sign him, pray that you don't end up playing him in a back three. I'll never forget his performance at Stoke at the end of 14/15.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Well we've got Cardiff's reject as manager so really we can't afford to be picky.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
He's decent box to box but would still be a downgrade on Herrera who he will essentialy be replacing.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
a 6 month loan wouldn't hurt at all, but can't say I remember us signing many ex Liverpool players.

More than likely just his agent getting his name out there to drum up interest as usual.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
A rubbish player.

One of those crap players who carrys the ball when space appears but can do nothing with it.

Hawks2008

I guess beggars can't be choosers but Emre Can? Don't think very much of him at all.

devilish

I think we're attracted to him because he's cheap, he's versatile and Allegri rated him.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He's decent box to box but would still be a downgrade on Herrera who he will essentialy be replacing.
Would he? Would he not be more of a replacement for Matic?

I remember he played as RCB when Liverpool played with three at the back at some point. He was very good in that position. Felt he was almost tailored for it.

That being said, I would not be a huge fan of signing him. A player leaving his club for free and then moving to their biggest rival? I know it just business for them, but I'm not sure that this is the type of character we should be looking for at the moment.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
He’s a good midfielder, but we replaced him with Fabinho who’s a couple of levels above. Not surprised though, I did think he’d struggle with certain aspects of the Italian game and his positional sense leaves a lot to be desired, but in chaotic games he can be excellent.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Would he? Would he not be more of a replacement for Matic?

I remember he played as RCB when Liverpool played with three at the back at some point. He was very good in that position. Felt he was almost tailored for it.

That being said, I would not be a huge fan of signing him. A player leaving his club for free and then moving to their biggest rival? I know it just business for them, but I'm not sure that this is the type of character we should be looking for at the moment.
Don't think he's a holding midfielder, his positional sense is all over the place.

He's a more if energetic ball winner that is decent at carrying the ball. Khedira is the best comparison I think of but I think Khedira at his peak was a much better player.

Miles better than what we have but still very short of where we should be aiming to be.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
He made a mistake leaving us considering his struggles in Serie A.

Not sure if he's what you're looking for. He's a decent box to box midfielder and can contribute some goals here and there. He had a decent run as a holding midfielder for us in 15/16 as well. I suppose he's versatile and definitely an improvement on Fred & Pereira.

If you do sign him, pray that you don't end up playing him in a back three. I'll never forget his performance at Stoke at the end of 14/15
I thought he was actually half decent as a sweeper type that season. His dribbling was always best when he'd built up a head of steam, as he's not the fastest accelerating, so you almost want him getting the ball far back. Wasn't he right back or something that game? He was utterly terrible but that team Rodgers put out was a disgrace. He had zero clue how to set the players up by that point.

As for Can in general. He was decent to good for us his time here. I wouldn't call him a reject but he was never vital and we never massively missed him if he was out. Fabinho is absolutely leagues ahead and you sometimes don't appreciate how immature and streaky a player like Can is until you have a serious player take his place.

He's better than what you have, but I just don't see you being a place he'd flourish. It seems like you have quite a few attacking players like him who are capable of the sublime once every ten or so games (that overhead kick against Watford, one of the best assists I've ever seen, to Sturridge in the League Cup) but never really convinces you they're going to consistently put it together.

devilish

I don't think he's a bad signing TBH. He's decent, he's versatile, he's cheap and he's better then most of our midfielders which in turn would allow us to get rid of Matic and the mascot. However Can won't be saving our season, that's for sure.

Jibbs

Of all the midfielders we have been linked to, Longstaff, Mcginn etc, he is the best, PL proven, was starter for both Liverpool and Juventus sides, is better than all our current midfilders except Pogba, will walk into our current midfield, 35 m is not bad for a PL proven Germany international at the right age. We should go for it.

Needham

Easily up there with the most depressing of post-Fergie transfer market moves.

lysglimt

Scout
Matic was 29. Emre Can will be 26 in january. That is a significant difference.
Emre is a very mobile player - and a box-to-box player. Matic has always been a defensive midfielder. That is another difference

lysglimt

Scout
Easily up there with the most depressing of post-Fergie transfer market moves.
So a soon to be 26-year old with 200+ League matches for top-clubs in Germany, England and Italy and 24 caps for Germany is depressing ? I would take him for £30-35 million

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I thought he was actually half decent as a sweeper type that season. His dribbling was always best when he'd built up a head of steam, as he's not the fastest accelerating, so you almost want him getting the ball far back. Wasn't he right back or something that game? He was utterly terrible but that team Rodgers put out was a disgrace. He had zero clue how to set the players up by that point.

As for Can in general. He was decent to good for us his time here. I wouldn't call him a reject but he was never vital and we never massively missed him if he was out. Fabinho is absolutely leagues ahead and you sometimes don't appreciate how immature and streaky a player like Can is until you have a serious player take his place.

He's better than what you have, but I just don't see you being a place he'd flourish. It seems like you have quite a few attacking players like him who are capable of the sublime once every ten or so games (that overhead kick against Watford, one of the best assists I've ever seen, to Sturridge in the League Cup) but never really convinces you they're going to consistently put it together.
Might've been RB. Maybe Rodgers had given up on the 3-4-3 by then. He has good drive when he's on the ball. I always thought he was best higher up the pitch personally. He can get himself into the right positions when he's given the authority to go forward. I'll never forget the goal he scored against Watford.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Emre is a very mobile player - and a box-to-box player. Matic has always been a defensive midfielder. That is another difference
Not really.

Matic actually started as an attacking midfielder for Benfica. It was only until Jose came in that he changed his role at Chelsea, but even then he was a more combative midfielder type that was battling the likes of Yaya Toure in midfield battles. It's only late in his career now that we can see that he's lost his legs and he doesn't really have the skillset to play DM. Point is, he's played all over midfield but is struggling the most right now, it's a similar situation to Schweinsteiger.

BlahRules

I am not sure if has improved but at Liverpool he had no creativity or knew what to with the ball.

We need a player who can dictate the game and has attacking impetus.

Needham

So a soon to be 26-year old with 200+ League matches for top-clubs in Germany, England and Italy and 24 caps for Germany is depressing ? I would take him for £30-35 million
Stats aside, remember him at Liverpool? Uninspiring to average. We'd be a payday notch on his career bedpost.

Johan07

Matic was a much more offensively oriented midfielder in his early years though. Was not really until his tenure at Benfica he adjusted. He like many others had to take a step back in the pitch when he stepped up a level.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not really.

Matic actually started as an attacking midfielder for Benfica. It was only until Jose came in that he changed his role at Chelsea, but even then he was a more combative midfielder type that was battling the likes of Yaya Toure in midfield battles. It's only late in his career now that we can see that he's lost his legs and he doesn't really have the skillset to play DM. Point is, he's played all over midfield but is struggling the most right now, it's a similar situation to Schweinsteiger.
Not really, it's Jorge Jesus that definitively changed his role at Benfica and he kept it at Chelsea under Mourinho.

settembrini

Seems pretty unlikely to me. Think this is just another case of Juventus trying to drum up interest in players they want to sell like Mandzukic.

Suedesi

Had a quick look and did not see a thread pertaining to this potential transfer - If I’ve missed it, I apologise and please move accordingly.

Sky Sports are on this now, claiming that we are considering making a move for him in January.

For me, he is better than what we have, although that is not much of a barometer. I suppose if this price was reasonable, we could do worse.

How do we feel about this one, gents?

EDIT: Sky Sports now reporting that Juve want around 35m for him.
Amazing. So they got him on a free, he's not good enough to be registered for Juve in the Champions League and now they want 35 million for him? This is the type of move that Ed and the brilliant people who work on the football side in this club could make.

Bulldog United

Amazing. So they got him on a free, he's not good enough to be registered for Juve in the Champions League and now they want 35 million for him? This is the type of move that Ed and the brilliant people who work on the football side in this club could make.
He was free because he was out of contract. I expect they paid a very high price in terms of signing bonuses and salary as a consequence. When you see some of the dross Premier League clubs have been signing for similar amounts of money, the Can asking price doesn't seem too unreasonable. I think a deal could be wrapped up in a bunch of performance related add-ons to bring the initial price/risk down.